Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

For some reason the best reason?, I just find myself wanting Parker pens. Probably because I wrote with one when I was 10 and memories~

I think I am going to buy a Parker Vector or two. Being left-handed what are some faster drying inks that goons can recommend me?

Also once I get a new job I'm so going to get a Parker 75. Thanks thread I'm diving in already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Kill Dozed posted:

For basic blue and black, try Noodler's Bernanke inks. For other colors, I'm not sure.

Did anyone get one of the new TWSBI 580s? I think the black and gold looks awesome, but Goulet is mostly sold out now.

As someone who majored in Econ I (un?)ironically love this. Thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I went to an antique/fancy pen shop while on vacation in London today. Inquired about a Parker 75 since I have been eBay stalking them and knew they were in my price range. This store had them priced at £595. :wtc:

I get that in store will always have a markup but ~5 times the price of eBay? I politely said I may come back later. I'm wishing now I'd let them know how ridiculous that price was.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a Pilot Metropolitan as per the OP's suggestion that I got for xmas. About 20 years ago I wrote with a fountain pen all the time (yay English schooling) and I am liking using one again even if my handwriting is terrible.

I am a soulless left hander looking for ink suggestions. I have a hook to my writing style so I don't require a fast drying ink but would be down for faster drying suggestions as a bonus to looking nice. I love blue inks and would like to pick up 2-3 in a variety of shades but would like to keep it max of $50 total on the order.

Looking at Goulet Pens I don't think I like the Bernanke Blue or Q-Eternity.

This Atlantic Blue maybe, is that a good brand?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Heath posted:

Bad Belted Kingfisher is a nice dark blue that's permanent and dries quickly. I've also had good luck with Ottoman Azure (thanks again to whichever secret Santa sent me that one, it's amazing.)

Ooh I like both of those, thanks for the recommendations.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Another thing to look at is the sort of paper you use, different papers have different absorption rates, for instance on the average quality printer paper I use Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki dries in about 7 seconds, but on my Rhodia pad it takes around 25 seconds. While the Kon-Peki does look nicer on the Rhodia pad than on the printer paper it still looks very nice on either since the blue is such a striking color.
Right now I have Crane&Co stationary (100% cotton paper) that I got as part of the gift, otherwise I'm writing on post-it notes, yellow cheapish legal pads and cheapish printer paper. I hadn't thought about the drying time difference but I'll check it out and keep it in mind when I'm writing from here on out :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a Pilot Metropolitan and two inks currently. The time has come to buy a second pen so I can have both inks available (and down the rabbit hole starts now).

I would like to spend up to $75 getting a new pen that either comes with piston filling or can be easily converted. Suggestions?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

atholbrose posted:

A TWSBI Diamond 580, or, to save a bit, an Eco. Nice pens, good writers, massive ink capacity.

Thanks I'll probably place an order today :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ibntumart posted:

Just want to affirm that it is a pretty cool pen. I'm thinking of getting another one to give to my sister as a belated gift. Also, the comment about the ink capacity is no joke.

Ordered on the 27th and I'm guessing Goulet is taking the entire week (maybe through NYE?) off because my order hasn't shipped yet :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I must have gotten lucky then with my previous order shipping very quickly, oh well not life or death just excited to get it :shobon:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I got a 10% off coupon from Goulet for anything in their store (cannot be combined with other offers), it's good for 30 days. How rare is it to get a blanket coupon like that from them? I'm seriously debating a large purchase right now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I did a thing. Sorry for my terrible penmanship.

Similar thickness of the lines but the Visconti is definitely more wet. So smooth to write with and the weight and feel of the lava/resin is just wonderful.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Oooh, is that one of the new Visconti nibs? Very cool.

Yep it's the 18k gold *googles* Perfecttouch nib.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's definitely black*, looking at the picture I posted again I can tell the lighting isn't great. I'll see if I can get a picture in the sun tomorrow.

*nature and poo poo so like there is probably a hint of blue in there, it's not as black as my Pilot Metro for example

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well it's a super cloudy and rainy day but this is much closer to reality.

Nib-focus

Homo Sapiens band/body focus

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grack posted:

Come on guys, it ain't that bad

I only have two more in the mail, too.

Tag urself, i'm bottom row second from left.

sweet collection my dude

I got a sampler of Diamine Marine in the mail today along with a journal because I thought I lost my old one that was half empty...which I found 2 days after placing the order too late to cancel it. Guess I have a lot of writing to do now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Maybe your postman just drops off pens they find at this point.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Question for the thread, as I am looking to try getting back into calligraphy after a 20+ year break. I already own a TWSBI Diamond 580 and a Visconti Homo Sapiens for regular fountain pen writing things. I'm interested in either a nib I can swap out or if that's maybe not practical - a pen specifically for calligraphy. I would like the pen to be filled via my ink jars versus cartridges. I am left handed if that matters for nib style suggestions.

Thanks!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cruft posted:

Goodness, that might be the most fountain pen-y av I've ever seen.

lol well now that you mention it :v:

I actually have no clue who got me the av but it seemed interesting and unique enough to leave to hangout next to my posts. Probably been there a few years now, I seem to recall it was early pandemic times?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hmm I don't know enough about styles of calligraphy so I think I'll go hit up some youtubes to learn more and then return with further questions or a refined idea of what I want to try.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cruft posted:

Oh, hey, I've got an Ahab I'm never gonna use! Want it, cool av OP? Goon discount: $0

E: actually, I'm going to give away all of 'em to the first fool goon who claims each one. The clear one here is a rollerball. Please ignore the Al-Star in the photo: I'm keeping that.

Please let me know which one you want, and you must also convince me that you understand these are janky pens, and you won't judge the entire technology by them.

The aqua one broke the little cap screw that holds in the pocket clip, and I super glued it back together. So that part is weak.

I would provide writing samples, but :effort: and also you're gonna want to tweak the nib immediately anyway.

You can feel better knowing I bought them before the Noodler's guy went on the record as a jerk!

That's an incredibly generous offer and I can't imagine I'd beat that price anywhere else! Is the green/white one second from the top available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cruft posted:

It's a fountain pen with a rollerball end. It's weird, I've never seen anything like it before. I think it had a piston fill? Maybe Dolemite can fill us in.

I hope everybody enjoys their pen! I'd love to hear if you're able to get them in good working order.

One of the pens is probably in customs right now and should arrive next week or so, if it doesn't get confiscated or whatever.

I did get the pen you sent yesterday but I haven't had time yet to try it out, thanks for sending it! I'll hopefully post up a picture of some writing over the next few days.