Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Every now and then I uncap my Lamy 2000 and it looks like this:

It's not a new pen; I've had it for years, but I usually forget about the problem, put it back in my rotation, and then remember all over again why I stopped using it. Is there a fix for this? I'd like to keep using it without wondering if there's a big pool of ink sitting in the cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dad Hominem posted:

I actually think the problem is that you have a big pool of ink sitting in the cap. Ink can hang out in a cap for ages without drying, so once you've jostled the pen once and squirted ink into the cap, you'll have a dirty section no matter how careful you are afterwards. Carefully swab out the cap with a twisted paper towel and/or cotton buds (I'm not sure if the L2K has grippy bits in the cap but if it does, avoid getting bits of paper caught in them), and then leave the pen capped and inked for a while. If there's no more inky section then you've ruled out a fresh leak, but if the ink is back then you might have bigger problems.

Sorry, I didn't mean that the ink just sits in there forever. Whenever this happens, I make at the very least to sop up any remaining wet ink (preferably rinsing it with water until completely clean), until it stops leaving ink on the section upon uncapping. Then it's fine again for a while, and then something happens to cause it to suddenly leak again.

I suspect it's happening again because the ink is running low, which means more air in the chamber and more expansion in the heat.

grack posted:

The seals likely need to be lubricated/replaced. Even if you jostle it a lot a 2000 should not be dumping that much ink in the cap.

Well, I've taken the pen apart a few times but have never lubricated it, so maybe that's my problem. Fortunately I've got some silicone lubricant handy from other little pen projects. Where are you supposed to lubricate it?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just wanted to call out Kessel for being a Good Dude: The big Covid-19 update.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The only thing that slightly sticks out to me is the "all lives matter"-esque statement, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in terms of not realizing how loaded saying something like that has become, since on the surface it seems like a nice sentiment. "Hey, yeah, all lives do matter!" That said,

Heath posted:

You're literally looking for something to be upset about. It's not crazy, but it's not productive, either. It's just a company that sells pens.

If it turns out they're donating to anti-LGBT groups or something, then this stuff is worth circling back to. But we're in a period of very heightened social awareness at the moment, and everybody is a little on edge. Let's not jump down the throat of any company that doesn't post a black square or change their logo to be a rainbow just yet.

vvvv I don't follow them on social media too closely, but seeing the full context of that makes me feel a lot better. I think their hearts are in the right place, even if you don't agree with the religious foundations of the business

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 2, 2020

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I like my Rotring 800 since it avoids all the little frustrations I've found with mechanical pencils.
  • Retractable tip so you're not poking things/yourself with it
  • Can retract without having to re-advance the lead when you go to use it again
  • Eraser is in its own sleeve, so you don't have to mutilate a worn-down eraser to get at the lead
  • When retracted, you can apply pressure with the eraser without advancing the lead

Plus it just feels like a heavy-duty tool, which I find more aesthetically pleasing. The Uni Kuru Toga's automatic rotating mechanism is cool, but the pencil itself doesn't feel like anything special to me.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Heath posted:

Noodler's should be thoroughly researched, because they can be either fantastic or terrible and there is 0 consistency between two different colors.

Sometimes even a single color will be inconsistent: Color Change for Black Swan in Australian Roses

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Musubi stuff is great. I went through one journal, then picked up the pen case when that came out. At this point I'm just waiting for the journal covers to come out, because such heirloom-quality covers deserve to keep being used after filling up one journal's worth of writing

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

gschmidl posted:

I always go with F (or Japanese F, which is even finer) so I can write tinily if required.

I don't know if this is true for all nib designs, and it's probably not recommended, but if you flip your pen over and write with the tip upside down, it should be a lot finer. I do it sometimes if I'm, say, going back and trying to edit in a missed word

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

grack posted:

My fake Lamy Dialog showed up today,

But that's not a Delta :confused:

Is everything okay :ohdear:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Does TWSBI still have QC issues? Last I checked, they were really good about sending out free parts if you had problems, but like, they had a lot of problems. I don't think I've had a single TWSBI pen that didn't develop at least one crack somewhere, although thankfully most of them were cosmetic.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dang, that looks cool but I don't really care for rose gold. I don't really post my pens either, but the fact that they explicitly advise against doing it is also a little suspect

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This guide approaches bullet journaling in a much more pragmatic and minimal fashion, though even then it was still too much for me. Like, at some point the anxiety of missing things here and there outweighed the utility I got out of writing things down to remember for later, so I was never able to find a good balance with the bullet journal system

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After spending an hour today tediously flushing out some pens that I haven't been using, I'm pretty sure I'm only going to buy pens that are easy to disassemble from now on. If I can't take apart the converter and pull out the feed to make sure I've gotten all the leftover bits of ink, it's going to be too much trouble to do a deep clean

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xun posted:

Has anyone heard anything from musubi? There haven't been any updates posted for awhile and I still want those notebook covers :ohdear:

Company update just dropped, though it sounds like the covers won't be coming for a while yet: https://musu.bi/stories/2022-07-were-back

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thinking of popping over to the SF pen show later today. Maybe I'll see Kessel and ask him about Guild Wars again :buddy: And those Musubi notebook covers :pray:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kessel encountered. Came away with a grid notebook of the new Tomoe River Sanzen paper, plus a stealth Vanishing Point LS :toot:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’ve heard that cosmo air light, the paper people used to replace tomoe river when it looked like it was being discontinued, is being discontinued. I never used it myself. Was it any good?

Yup: https://musu.bi/stories/2022-09-cosmo-air-light-is-being-discontinued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Surprised that there aren't any Kickstarter or other third-party options for Pilot converters, given how universally displeasing they are to use