Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I feel like I've entered some bizarre world where we all just pile on the OP for no reason. From what I've read the OP is volunteering full time, has reasonable spending habits, contributes a bit to monthly bills, is trying to further his career, and is looking for a paid job. Why are people piling on him for spending $20 a month on discretionary entertainment? If it turns out he does all the dishes and laundry and makes dinner 3x a week people would still rag on him for not mowing the lawn too.

OP, your mother is being unreasonable, but there's not much you can do about it. Don't escalate things by trying to press charges, but do know that in many states you have tenant rights that include not being kicked out without notice- even though you aren't paying rent. Keep your comics at a friend's house, keep looking for a job, and move out as soon as you get some savings. Don't be too proud to live with a roommate or three; anything is better than your current situation.

Have you looked into tutoring at your college? I know I've seen flyers for people offering essay reviews and the like. You can also look at companies like Kaplan- don't limit yourself to fields that directly use the skills you gained in undergrad. In many cases a degree and a solid grasp of the English language are all you need to get your foot in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Thursday Next posted:

It's not "for no reason".

I didn't like the rules my parents imposed, so I worked hard to leave home.

I understand that leaving home is itself a privilege - I had the ability to work hard and make money. If you don't have that privilege, and you are forced to live at home (disability, etc), then the feedback from this thread would be very, very different.

However, that scenario isn't the case. The OP has not given any indication that disability or other extenuating circumstances have forced him and his brother to live at home. He's mentioned laptops and has his own bedroom, so I'm assuming he's not coming from the kind of grinding poverty that can ruin lives. If he were trapped in this place, the advice from E/N would be to discuss it - to work with his parents to come to a better agreement than what he's got. His parents are terrible, it's true.

The OP is living in a home, rent-free. He needs to abide by the rules of that home, or get the gently caress out.

I agree with everything you've said. I still don't see why people keep hounding him about how much money he spends on comic books, or whether he helps with chores. Except for his relationship with his (violently abusive) mother, this sounds like someone who's got his life together and is making the best of a lovely situation. I would hope people were at least a little understanding, instead of trying to make him out to be some ungrateful man-child who does nothing but watch My Little Pony all day.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Morby posted:

People are hounding him about it because any money that he has should be either saved to move out or spent for his part of the family bills. I agree that it's good that he has this unpaid internship and I certainly hope that it works out for , but his folks are doing him a HUGE favor here.

He's claiming to spend $20/month and is contributing to bills- is he really not supposed to spend a single dime until he has his own place?

Again, it seems like E/N's perception of this guy is based off what they want to think instead of his replies.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ClemenSalad posted:

A farming firm couldn't get enough applicants to pick the harvest so a lot of it spoiled. My dumb anecdote cancels out your dumb anecdote.

And OP I'm also speaking generally about McDs. If being a secretary is your thing you can probably get paid to be one on the side while you are volunteering.

Fortunately in the US we have something called an unemployment rate, which tells us that there are many college graduates looking for jobs with no success. The OP is hardly unique here.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Stop trying to rationalize this. The only question you need to ask is, do you want a McJob or no job? If getting money and leaving the house is your first priority then swallow your pride, take your degree off your résumé, and apply. It's not going to hurt your future career prospects.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
You're just now 'going around town' to apply for every job you see? How many jobs have you applied for so far?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
OP, what's your social/dating life like? You come across as overly formal and literal in your responses here. Half of getting a job is in being personable- are you the kind of guy people like to get drinks with?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Devyl posted:

For the umpteenth time, He wasn't asked if he knew about detailing... he was asked to detail his automotive history/background/experience/knowledge.

Yeah, I don't know why people haven't picked up on that in this thread. Making a basic mistake like that indicates problems with reading people's nuances and intents, which will definitely hinder you at the interview stage. OP, if you look at the BFC resume/interview thread I'm sure there are people who would sit down and give a practice interview with you over Skype. Have you considered that?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

What's kneecapping me is that I have to start paying off my loans next month. So I'm not holding anything in stone right now. So right now I'm tentatively scheduling my moving out to Summer.

Congratulations! Your next step should be to start forming a budget. Write down all your expenses and an itemized list of what you'll need when you move out. Furnishing an apartment is deceptively expensive, and this is one area where having a roommate who's already established can save you hundreds of dollars. Keep an eye out for freebies too- with a couple of months to plan you can probably pick up some small pieces you'll need. If you live near a college check out the campus at the end of the year- with a truck you can probably reduce your furnishing costs to near zero.

You should also get into the habit of stashing some money into an emergency fund. If you're living paycheck to paycheck eventually there'll be a day when you're out of toilet paper, your car has a flat, and you have a toothache. It doesn't sound like you have much of a safety net, so you need to build one for yourself.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Not to pile on, but the fact that you thought your job was "going well" right before before you got fired indicates you have no idea how to self-assess. If you're the new guy, your job isn't going well until you're working as fast as everyone else. If people still think of you as "the new guy" then you should consider yourself as replaceable at any moment.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Just to belabor the point: it's great that the career center and goons have vetted your résumé. But now you need to customize it for every job you send out.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Why haven't you tried tutoring? My campus is littered with flyers promising to help with your essays for $20+ an hour. From your blog posting awhile ago your writing actually isn't terrible. I know there are companies online who can hook you up in that arena as well.

Otherwise, does your college offer career counseling? My undergrad has a deal with a SoCal company offering somewhere around 4 hours of counseling free for members of the Alumni Association. You might be able to get some other ideas/light a fire under your rear end there.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Morby posted:

This thread was started in January. It would be one thing if he'd said "Hey, I checked them out and they didn't have anything", but it's pretty clear that he hasn't even bothered to call and/or physically go to one of these organizations. There's basically no excuse for it at this point. And I'm not saying that his problems would be 100% resolved if he went to Goodwill/Department of Labor/Untied Way agencies but he'd at least be talking to qualified professionals that can review his resumes, give him job leads, hook him up with training, and maybe even point him in a direction he hadn't considered before.

The same goes for tutoring, teaching English overseas, and Mechanical Turk. The OP is seemingly ignoring any advice that involves anything other than mass-spamming résumés to entry-level positions.

Also, saying you'd "like to think" you gave your notice means you didn't and are too weasely to admit it. I'd like to think of myself as a millionaire but that doesn't change the reality.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Eris posted:

Congrats, you've ... Made a template of a greeting and salutation!

Being smug that you've already applied (and not been hired) by big box retailers crack me up. What about the online tutoring job that was mentioned pages ago (where I also revealed I worked in hiring tutors and maintained contacts)? Applied there yet?

I just went through five pages of his posts, and he's ignored every suggestion at tutoring and online employment.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
For tutoring you literally just need to put your info on a flyer, add those tear-out phone numbers at the bottom, and staple it around your college. Go look at a posting board to see what I'm talking about.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

English Tutor Available
Flexable Schedules, Affordable Rates
I will help you indubitably
Profreading and Editing, Assistence with Citations and Formating
You're ace in the whole

Call Benny the Snak

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming a degree in English means he actually can write well when he needs to.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
How many hours are you working a week? Your income seems ridiculously low even at minimum wage.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
What do you actually want to do in life? I can't believe that a college graduate would be content working part-time at a Target and living in his overbearing mother's house. The fact that you've spent months in this situation shows that you don't really care about making something of yourself- for most people a part-time job would just be a stepping stone to something greater. What do you even do for the other 143 hours in the week? If you'd rather waste your life sitting on your rear end and waiting for opportunities to come to you, that's fine. But at this point the only thing holding you back is laziness and a lack of motivation.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Honest question: do you edit or reread your posts here? They contain numerous grammatical errors, and not necessarily things you would find with a spell check- improperly-used turns of phrase, poor punctuation, and the like. The thing is, they're not small mistakes that people make in a rush, they're fundamental misunderstandings of how grammar works. If you can't look at your post history and find mistakes, you're not going to get a job as an editor.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Are people so eager to pounce on Benny's english as a snipe at his english degree that they're not even willing to fact check themselves?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trawl
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/troll

Troll can be a synonym from trawl and I'm pretty sure etymologically speaking it's where term "trolling" (with respect to saying stupid poo poo on the internet to bait people) comes from. It's a stupid point anyways because I've literally never had someone give me a hard time for making a simple math error just because I'm an engineer, it really just seems like it's part of that visceral "well you shoulda picked a different major" reactions to lib art degrees that we try to fling it in their face whenever they're not perfect.

I normally agree, but he's applying for editing jobs. Trawling/trolling is fine, but there have been other times where it's clear he's writing phrases as he hears them instead of how they're actually written (I can't think of an example off the top of my head but think of 'would of' vs 'would have'.) These are absolutely the sort of mistakes that will get you disqualified, so I think they're pretty relevant to the discussion.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

It just doesn't make sense to me why you would write all this review bs that you're obviously getting NO feedback on, when you could spend that same ammount of time working on something that you seem a little more passionate about AND could take advantage of the great resources that SA has on offer.

I'm going to second the need for feedback here. I'm no writer, but your posts suffer from the same convoluted construction, incorrect colloquialisms, and poor grammar (it's vs its? From a college graduate?) as your comments here.

From your writing it's clear that you're intelligent and put a fair amount of thought into your work. But these basic mistakes are holding you back. Grammar can be fixed by an editor but your confusing sentence structure keeps you from having a distinct 'voice' as a writer. If you fix these issues you'll be in a better position to grow overall.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

cname posted:

You aren't a critical thinker. You aren't resourceful. You aren't self-motivated, self-aware or even logical in any sense of the word. You don't even think to open a new tab, Google what we're talking about, do a tad bit of independent learning and reply based on what you've learned. We've had to spoon feed you everything. We've actually typed your words into Google for you, clicked a semi-relevant article, reviewed it, posted it in your thread, for you, then you just flat out ignore it.

I'm honestly not sure what people are expecting to get out of the thread at this point. Benny has shown time and time again that he's only willing to put out the minimum amount of effort to survive. He's not begging for writing feedback or job tips- except for his family situation I don't think he's expressed any emotion or passion that would suggest he actually cares about getting ahead.

The problem isn't his cover letter, or his grammar, or his appearance. It's him. And until he fixes the root of the problem, no amount of advice, contacts, or job leads is going to make a difference. Other than telling him to take his meds and talk to a counselor, nothing we say is going to make much of a difference.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

This. I don't understand why there are still grammarposts here, gently caress off.

I'm honestly confused as to whether he wants the city job or not.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Your problem isn't your education, it's your functional abilities. A 3.1 from a lower-tier school won't get you into a decent grad school, and even a decent grad school isn't going to get you a professorship. You might be able to swing community college, or rather someone else in your position could if he actually had executive functioning skills.

Not to mention the fact that it's too late to take the GRE now. Even if you do apply, it won't be until next fall for admittance in 2015.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Dex posted:

Just re-read the OP again and haha goddamn, it is still one of my favourite posts of all time. Benny, you should drop this professor dream, become a lawyer and successfully sue your parents for Comic Book Crimes.

Man, talk about a trip down memory lane. I wonder if Danny ever got a job or if his mom, cruel Christian that she is, is still supporting two grown children in her house.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

I've tried really hard to help Benny, even to the point of helping him research jobs in his area etc. The issue is that he does not listen. Period.

He doesn't listen, but that's probably a manifestation of whatever else is going on in his brain. You can't expect an internet thread to succeed where his college, unemployment resources, and presumably his family have not. It's pretty clear that Benny is lacking in basic reasoning, time management, and planning skills. Until those are fixed you might as well be shouting help in Latin because it's not going to get through to him.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

cname posted:

This is why I can't stand people like Benny. It's as though 75% is the most he will ever do, at his best effort. On average he's a 60-65%. It's as though he'll always reach the government mandated "You need X points to pass" minimum and nothing more.

Case in point: Benny knows he wants to meet three people at a career fair, but instead of showing up early he comes at the end of the day when 1/3 of the recruiters has already left.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Arian_Samurai posted:

Usually you would mail it in.

I prefer email. A lot of the time they have their initial discussion in the next day or two, and by the time a physical card gets delivered it's probably too late.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Benny, how often do you lie? Do you lie about minor, inconsequential things all the time, and do you do it during your job interviews? Some people are habitual liars, but combined with your complete lack of self-awareness you could be coming across as a terrible liar in your interviews.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

I don't usually jump in on the "Just get a job, you hippy" side of things, but it's patently obvious that he's got jobs available to him, seeing as he's landed at least 3 of them and (ostensibly) had interviews to several more. Unless he was lying about those too. So it's not the usual "there are no jobs" thing, it's "Benny's a lying scum bag and that, at least in part, is why he can't hold down a job".

This is what I don't understand. There were entire months where he didn't get interviews, and now it seems like he's getting 1 per week, under circumstances that never seem to follow SOP.

I can buy no retail store giving an interview to a 24-year-old college graduate with no job history, terrible grammar, and a tendency to lie. But once you get to the interview stage finding a job really isn't that hard. And if he's getting so many interviews now, what's changed in the past six months?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Oh my god I want Benny to work in law so bad :allears:

Given his moral questioning when it comes to grilling vegetables and selling items on eBay, I think I would pay money to see Benny's take on legal proceedings.

On a more serious note, are you eligible for programs like the Peace Corps or Citiyear? Those are environments where it seems like you can gently caress up (within reason) while learning a lot about personal responsibility and problem-solving.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you can't even upload a picture with the name covered up it really brings your credibility into question. You've given out enough info that anyone who really wanted to track you down would have done it already.

Of course, we wouldn't even be questioning you if you weren't a habitual liar. It's almost as if your poor decisions have consequences, and you've lost any good will you might have had.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

lexan posted:

I don't really think there's anything dirty about buying used library books and flipping them. The books they're selling don't have a place in the collection; pretty much anything that gets rid of them without the library having to pay to haul them to a landfill is to the library's advantage. It's not like they have the resources to hire someone to actually sift through them, determine their market value, and market them appropriately.

edit: let me be clear that I'm only talking about him buying books. I would not defend him stealing books.

The problem is that, as far as I can tell, he's setting the prices. If all the good books/comics are suddenly 'on sale' for a penny, the line between buying and stealing is a lot blurrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Benny, do you even want a job? How do you afford snacks/new clothes/comic books right now? Maybe if you try to envision what a job will do for you you'll have more motivation to actually find one.

• Locked thread