Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
All the people focusing on the nitty gritty of interview outfits are wasting this dude's time.

I've sat in 200+ interviews and the only time I've paid any attention to someone's clothes is the one dude who showed up in an orange construction shirt and dirty Carhart pants for a IT Service Desk job. I seriously thought he was in the wrong room. Other than that, as long as it's appropriate, no one cares. Unless it's a serious business type thing, like a bank, law firm, financial firm, large insurance company, etc, a tie is approaching overkill and a suit is over the top. Anything more formal a button up shirt for a menial job is total overkill. Wearing a tie or jacket to a McD's interview is a joke. They don't want someone wearing a suit, they want someone that can work the fry counter for 8 hours and not be a bitch about it.

Just wear a nice button up shirt and some slacks and you're fine. No one cares.

BTW Abercrombie, Hollister and AE exclusively hire people with model confidence and model physique who will fit in with all their other employees with model confidence and model physique. You're not gonna get a job there and even if you do, you'll hate it and hate the other employees. You're wasting your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
How did the Hollister interview go?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Either he's going to train me to be a cook or he's going to lay me off.

Being a cook is highly demanding, physically and mentally exhausting work. If you couldn't keep up in back after the place stopped serving, and couldn't keep up in a job where your only duty is to put things into boxes, I don't think cook is going to be a good fit for you. You'll have a whole team shouting orders and changes and special requests at you for your entire shift and the entire flow of the restaurant will depend on you.

You're going to have to get a lot more comfortable with living totally outside your comfort zone to get on top of things and get out from under your living situation.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Redacted.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
When someone tells you "do it like this" and it's your first day, do it like that.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

CravingSolace posted:

I don't care if you thought your way was safer. The cook that was training you has been there longer than you.

Also since he's held down that job and is respected enough to be a trainer there's probably a really good reason he's doing that. Like, you can quickly, cleanly turn all the zucchinis at once with a towel, or slowly tear them up while turning them one at a time with tongs.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm not stupid. I purposefully did something different because I didn't want to endanger myself or anybody else.

The grillman probably has a grill rag that he uses for that exact purpose because that's the most efficient way to do it. People in kitchens are 100% efficiency.

If there was a real fire danger, the experienced chef would be doing it another way.

Step outside your comfort zone.

Your life up to this point is the result of you staying within your comfort zone.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Did you even google Harvard Risk Management Corporation?

It's a pyramid scheme / pre-paid legal thing.

They're hiring you to pay them a fee to hire other people to pay fees that you'll get a small percentage of.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

spunkshui posted:

How the hell does someone write (and source) the insane amount of papers required to have a degree in English and then not understand how to site a book title?

Same way someone makes fun of another person's English skills while saying "site" instead of "cite" in the same sentence?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Most job fairs I've seen are populated by companies that are either

1) Looking to recruit for actual professional positions (none of which Benny is qualified for)

or

2) Looking to mass-recruit for commission-based salesmen

Neither of these are going to be a win in this case.

If you're qualified for and looking for retail, food service, or dirt-moving jobs, a job fair is a waste of time.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Why do you need to consolidate your loans? Do you have private loans? Why were you taking more than Stafford loans to go to school?

Question 2: Why is he spending gobs of money on comics and movies when he has a giant pile of outstanding loans?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I remember people talking about Attention Deficit Disorder and indicating that I had it. I remember my pediatrician talking to my Mom how I may have ADD. I don't remember specifically being diagnosed or seeing a psychologist about it. Most of it is self-informed. I could never focus in class. I was always jittery. I could never sit still, I was always fidgeting. Hell, even now it persists to where it's difficult to focus on one task at a time. But I won't know officially until I'm diagnosed.

Your parents did you a huge disservice.

I'm not a doctor but it seems like a pretty clear case. You have to concentrate super hard to bag groceries and can only make cursory eye contact with other people while doing so. This is not normal and there are meds that can help.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

bringer posted:

I know it has been brought up repeatedly but it pains me to think that you are an actual English Lit grad.

"I wouldn't of show up"

Ugh.

Two Sunday's in a row.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Benny how much have you spent on pot, comics and movies in the last 3 months?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Benny how much money have you spent on pot, booze, comics and movies in the past 3 months?

Also by the way, most of those "legal services" companies are pretty scammy. You'll likely be employed to telemarket lovely prepaid legal services contracts. Normally I would say you'll hate it but you can make decent money if you are motivated and a good salesmen, but you got fired from a job because you couldn't succeed at putting this into a box, so do the math.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Benny how much have you spent on pot, comics and movies in the last 3 months?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

As for extras: I budget myself $20 a week for extras like food, comics, movie tickets, etc.

You budget that amount but you spend more.

How much have you actually spent in the last 3 months on movies, comics, junk food, booze and pot?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a stupid point anyways because I've literally never had someone give me a hard time for making a simple math error just because I'm an engineer

Benny's level of English incompetence goes far beyond making one simple mistake.

You doing Benny style work would be like having several obvious, common errors in every single work task you complete while bragging that you're a gifted engineer who also does engineering contracting on the side, and you don't understand why you haven't been promoted.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

GidgetNomates posted:

Wow how dare literal children believe what they were told their entire life about how important college is and then went there with the promise of making a living wage then ended up in debt. Ha ha, those idiots! Anyway clearly people's life situations are purely down to their own decision making skills and have nothing to do with the corrupt capitalist society they are raised to believe in and bbaaaaaaarffffffff

No one in high school promised me or anyone I know that I'd make a living wage if I got a lovely useless degree in English Lit or History, in fact quiet the opposite. I was constantly encouraged to get a degree that will help me get a job. Even high school freshmen know that a degree in Sociology is a ticket to sandwich artistry.

An English Lit degree is straight up bad decision making, unless you want to be a teacher or maybe a copy editor or something.

This isn't the case of The Man getting someone down, it's a case of someone making lovely decisions and planning life poorly.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Accretionist posted:

Unlivable minimum wages are, though, and are also why this one of the dumpier first world nations. It's literally a function of unequal influence betwen us and those to whom we're a resource cost.

Edit:

Wages being so lovely is contributing to the sagging aggregate demand which beleaguers the economy.

This net wage-income data from the Social Security Admin.:

50% of people who had jobs in 2011 took home ~$26k or less.

If someone in Benny's situation wants to go protest then good on them.

Here's some data therefor your point is invalid?

If all that is true then maybe people should make better career decisions to be more competitive in the job market rather than getting a known-worthless degree in a field they obviously have no skills in which averages a pittance for pay.

Nope, better go protest instead.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Accretionist posted:

It qualifies the claim that there are low wages and also shows scale.

Ironically, you don't read so good.

That's all great info but I wasn't talking about overall low wages; I was talking about how English Lit, History, Gender Studies and some other degrees are so worthless in the workforce that high school freshmen make fun of them.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

blackmet posted:

Data is better than anecdote. Yes, it does invalidate your point.

And, as we all know, 18 year olds are known for their wonderful decision making skills and brilliant financial decisions. They're also able magically able to see well off into the future to know EXACTLY what will make them most "marketable" to a future boss.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Because your college counselor obviously gave you the advice to not get a college degree, and none of your friends or relations brought their outdated opinion of "college degrees were required when I was in college so you better get one too or else" to browbeat you with.

Is it really that out-there a thought to not blame the people who were sold on "go to college" since they were too young to vote? Or are you just going to err on the side of "Well, I'm not in debt so they're just stupid :smug:"

I never said "college is stupid" or "people shouldn't get a college degree". I was talking about specific college degrees that high schoolers make fun of because they don't tend to land graduates into well-paying jobs.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

PurePerfection posted:

Aside from choice of major, factors like what college you attended, what your grades were like, and what work/internship experience you had before graduation have become bigger influences as well. Benny, I don't know much about your school or whatever extracurricular/career-related experience you had there, but this can also help or hurt you.

A degree in a traditionally lucrative field like computer science or finance no longer comes with the guarantee of a good job. Students who excel in either of these programs at a top tier university with strong ties to corporate recruiters and lots of successful alumni in the industry won't struggle nearly as much as students who attend a less reputable or less connected school, although those at top schools whose grades or extracurricular resumes are lacking probably still will.

It's almost as if you have to take a complete, rounded, intentional approach instead of "beep boop complete CS degree, cash checks."

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Honestly I would hope that said posters would have better things to do than to red tag my rear end if x doesn't happen.

Dude you seriously need to stop using "said" as an adjective. It makes you look like such a loving tool. You're not a British lawyer; cut that poo poo out.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

This is like the weirdest thing to be nitpicky on, I know plenty of people who have used said in that fashion. Said people are americans. Would you prefer aforesaid?

It's one of those annoying things like "whilst" that Internet PeopleŽ use over and over again to try to look intelligent. You get away with it a time or two but when it's a staple of your writing it gets annoying and makes you look like you're trying way too hard, unless you're a British lawyer or something.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Sir John Falstaff posted:

No, "trying way too hard" is pointing to the OP's alleged misuse of "such" as an example of his crimes against grammar.

Said word was said not such. Said point is such, as said: don't use said as such.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh believe me; the writing is all a hobby and a pipe dream to get published right now. Anyway, time to send out more cover letters and resumes.

You just said a few hours ago that you're only looking for daytime office jobs so that you can have time to concentrate on writing your best-seller.

Now that everyone has called you out as a lovely writer, you're brushing it off as a pipe dream?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Benny, prove that you're not a troll. Post a picture of a Target pay stub (with everything personal blanked out) sitting on top of 100+ comic books.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Benny post a picture of a Target pay stub sitting on top of a pile of comic books to prove that you're not a troll.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

WampaLord posted:

I am in charge of screening applicants for my company and never read cover letters. They simply get ignored. I feel like this happens way more often than people realize. Not saying that it's an excuse for people to slack on their cover letters, but just be aware that not all organizations treat them the same way.

They're mostly useful for quickly screening people OUT.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

The "Paystub on top of comics" isn't happening 'cause I'm too paranoid about giving out sensitive info like that (the paystub, of course).

Use your office skills to MS paint a box over your name.

How is this not super loving obvious, if not assumed?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

It's an internship. I'll pick up a copy of "The Elements of Style" at my library today.

"The Elements of Style" isn't going to teach you to be a better writer any more than quickly browsing GQ will help you "brush up on fashion" before the Abercrombie interview.

If you want to become a good writer you're going to have to put years of painful effort into it. There's no quick fix.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Never you mind posted:

OP just seems to have impulsive judgment and the impulses are always wrong. I'll call in with a hangover! I'll like to my coworker about taking a shift! I'll lie to my boss about damaging a car when they know I did it! Let's push send on that email without writing anything in it! Let me question the guy who runs the grill about a minor safety issue on the first day! Do I need your email, job contact? Nope! And we're all left going WHAT WHY WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT. How can your instincts be 180 degrees away from where they should be? It's like every time he gets anxious he starts living out Opposite Day.

Benny should watch that Seinfeld episode where George only follows the opposite of his instincts and lands a super hot girlfriend and a job with the New York Yankees within 2 days.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Well my plan is I'm going in to the recycling company if they do call me in. But the moment I smell something fishy like no documents to sign I'm asking questions and if no answers I'm getting out.

Reminder: you couldn't hold down a job where your only duty was putting things into a box.

You're wasting your time. You aren't going to be able to convince strangers to do business, aren't going to "make quota" and will be fired within three days.

This is also I think the third scammy business you've gotten excited about. We already called you out on some sort of prepaid legal cold calling thing.

Use your loving head Benny, and learn from your mistakes.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

reflex posted:

He should have sent out so many resumes he can't even remember them all. But instead we've had a handful.

And every time he communicates with another person he comes on here to tell us about how he has a job lined up.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

Classic. I like the smack bosses wife beat down.

My favorite Bennytale is when he read GQ to brush up on fashion before the Abercrombie interview.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

natetimm posted:

I said to start out walking. If walking is hard on his joints then weightlifting is going to be hell.

I don't think you understand body mechanics at all.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Applying to jobs like mad. Good news is I'm no longer paranoid: bad news is I'm lethargic. I sleep in 'till 11 now and there are days where I'll nap for five hours straight. I'm going to see a new psychiatrist and talk to him about the lethargy. I swear it must be the meds.

11:00am - Wake up
12:00 - 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 6:00 - 5 Hour Nap
6:00 - 800 - Dinner, Comics

When exactly are you applying to jobs like mad?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Sawboss Jones posted:

Benny's got that thing going on where he's waiting for himself to get responsible enough to hold down a job, but he's making no moves towards becoming that person. He's disassociated himself to the point that he's counting on his future self to pick up his slack and fix his life because he's too lazy and irresponsible to get up and do something productive today.

"If your goals aren't affecting your actions TODAY, they're just dreams."

- Arch's mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
Benny you failed at a job where your only responsibility was putting things into a box.

If you think you'd be a successful professor you're a loving idiot and all your students would hate you.

• Locked thread