Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

Was this map used seriously somewhere? The whole thing looks like a joke.

"Afghanistan needs to be bigger, guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

KoldPT posted:

1kmē population grid of Spain and Portugal. I live in one of the most dense areas in Portugal, hooray statistics!

Is this map available in other regions, or at different resolutions? I like population density maps but the resolution on this one makes it extremely informative.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The BBC has an article about border-drawing in the Middle East, from the Sykes-Picot agreement. Some maps:

You see an international zone around Israel/Palestine. The article doesn't mention this, but the major powers on both sides of WW1 were trying to please zionists by promising them a homeland (along with promising independence for the arabs).

While there is a lot to talk about there, my questions is is anyone knows why the site of old Antioch is also in the international zone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Man Russia has a gently caress-ton of permafrost, jesus.

Speaking about the border of Russia and China, I find it neat how virtually their entire shared border follows the path of a river/series of rivers. Makes a handy border, and was something I found just by closely looking at maps once. And while I was looking at said rivers, I noticed that there was a Russian province called the "Jewish Autonomous Oblast", which borders China. Here is an amusing image which shows the location as well as the coat of arms and (rainbow) flag of the province:

Turns out there is an interesting Jewish history in Manchuria as well, though I haven't looked into the details there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Map of countries by cannabis use by percentage of the population.

Guessing there's ritual significance for the high rates in Papua New Guinea and Ghana?

Found it somewhat amusing at least :P

I know I've seen really different numbers for this. Several years ago I thought the numbers were a few Caribbean nations at the top.

After some googling I can't find anything so maybe I'm full of poo poo. But I have a really hard time believing that a higher percentage of the US population smokes pot than Canada or freaking Jamacia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Vegas mostly, it seems.

also, that weird wavy pattern in the north of the state (and elsewhere like in Southern California) is apparently due to the Checkerboarding grants that the feds gave out back when the Transcontinental Railroad was being built:

Very neat.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neat, but why are the borders so strange? Is this broken up by county?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

A pretty nasty one too. Other than the minerals and prestige, another reason China would never give it up is just about every major river in China comes from glaciers in Tibet. China has enough water problems without giving control over its fresh water supply to an independent state that could decide to cut them off.

Was going to say this. The sources of rivers are very important, and are only going to become more so in the future.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Koramei posted:

Almost certainly yes to all of those, but keep in mind that that map was probably not written with any regards to religious sensitivity.

Forced cultural assimilation has been a common practice of China for most of its history and is massively destructive to those they subsume. Whether that's actually genocide or not (it's funny, they go to lengths to make their wording as unambiguous as possible in these definitions but there is still way too much room for debate) is ... maybe not as concrete as I had assumed, on reading a little more about it, but as I said that's entirely semantics. China's ills in Tibet have been way overblown in the west for sure, and it's a good thing to counter the boogeyman image they're acquiring, but "have not performed forced sterilization or killed as many Tibetans as there are Tibetans" is not to say they are not doing all kinds of wrong there.

All that said I agree with your side of the argument; excusing a repressive and feudal government 'cause "every premodern state was as bad" seems a bit weird when the time period we're talking about is centuries after most of the rest had been reformed. It is not analogous to colonization.

semi-related: Asia in the early 20th century

(click for bigger if you wanna see cities and whatever. look at all that Wade-Giles :allears:)

drat, I didn't know Taiwan was part of the Japanese conquests along with Korea.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't think this has been posted, though individual maps have been. There are some good ones in here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/01/13/40-more-maps-that-explain-the-world/

Airline travel, for one day:

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 16, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What is logical about the prime meridian running through Greenwich? That its opposite side goes basically clear through the Pacific? Actually reading on wiki I bet this is your reasoning, because it is along the International Date Line that you add or subtract an entire day, to keep in time with the rest of the world. Having this line run through inhabited territory (aside from small islands) would be cumbersome. Is that right?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I found it hilarious how basically every country in Europe had their own nationality as the top search.

Except for Ireland, which went:
1) Gangbang
2) Drunk
3) Irish

I also had no idea that "casting" was a fetish/BDSM thing. It was a top result all over the place.

edit: and whats up with the top corner, where you can choose between "Straight", "Gay" and "Tranny". I was on the US, and clicked Gay, and the top result was "Straight". The gently caress?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

made of bees posted:

That could be why some Estonians want to do exactly that.

I've stumbled on this before and I've got to say the Nordic version looks way better.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

The size of Alaska:

Sweet jesus. I just looked up the area on wiki, and indeed Alaska is bigger than the next 3 states combined (Texas, California, Montana). I did not realize the difference was so large.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Well, in the oft-maligned Mercator Projection, Alaska is about half as big as the entire contiguous United States.

Yeah, I knew it was big, I just figured it was a trick of the projection. Nope!

This is why I need a globe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Folks asking me to define worth: Can't farm it, it's nearly inhospitable, and it's really hard to get to. It's like buying the moon.

Laying claim to mineral or hydrocarbon reserves is useful, and it gives the US significant claims to arctic territory. Considering how the arctic has been warming and become more open to shipping, this is pretty darn useful. It is a long term investment for sure, but it absolutely has worth.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

chairface posted:

It was strategically useful in WWII. A lot of lend-lease gear was sent through Alaska and then Siberia to the USSR from the USA. There's sadly not an accompanying map but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II

A huge road was built to Alaska as well. I guess it included or connected to one in Canada, but I feel the entire thing was made at once. I saw a doc on it over a decade ago, it was interesting to see how the army built a highway through mountainous terrain at such an absurd and consistent pace.

The US at the time was concerned of a Japanese attack on Alaska, and wanted to be able to defend it via ground as well.

Lawman 0 posted:

Unironically we should start thinking about how to split up the moon and asteroids soonish.

Yes. Since nations have stated plans to build at least semi-permanent bases on the moon, we should likely start thinking about this.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Even if we get bases up and running it's still not going to be any easier to do moon stuff than Antarctic stuff and that continent is still considered neutral ground.

Yeah I was going to bring this up too. There is a continent worth of stuff, including a gently caress-ton of water, that nobody is exploiting. This is fine for now, but in 50 or 100 years when other resources have been depleted, well, I pristine Antarctica will be the new frontier.

This was featured in the Red Mars series of books. The same Trans-National corporations that were taking over Mars and Space were mining Antarctica because nobody felt like defending the treaties. Neat stuff.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Video games: bringing out the inhuman monster in all of us.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Shouldn't forums more generally be bigger? Aren't they important too?

I like them.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

but twitter is like one big forum where people use their real names and censor their racist opinions even less!

Twitter has its uses, but lengthy, reasoned (or just lengthy) discussions are not among them. BBS4LYFE

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though being shat on by Europeans up-close and personal wasn't/isn't exactly unheard of for Africans either.

On the inset at the bottom left, Eretria isn't shown at all from '56 onwards. That bugs me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll say, very well put together. I didn't realize just how high immigration from Mexico has been. I mean, I know there are many millions, but graphs and firm numbers just make it so much clearer!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: coup map

Libya should really be the darkest colour. They're almost in the middle of a slow moving coup as it is.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think one of these is a re-post.

(cross posted from the Ukraine thread)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/12/09/this-one-map-helps-explain-ukraines-protests/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ukraine

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/01/24/this-is-the-one-map-you-need-to-understand-ukraines-crisis/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not at all. Currently, Africa sits on top of an upwelling of mantle, which is why the continent is relatively uniformly high-elevation in the south, while Indonesia is just the opposite. Then there's accretion, which adds to to continents' edges, volcanic activity where plates are subducted, and finally orogeny where plates smash into each other. On top of that you have erosion, which can wither away at the continents quite rapidly, though this is very dependent on location/climate.

E: To give an example, the area around the Rocky Mountains used to be a shallow sea, then the Farallon plate was subducted beneath America which resulted in a giant plateau/mountain chain the likes of the Himalayas, and that has since been eroded down to what is there today.

Basically, it's more of a rough idea where the (major) plates were, than an exact map. I suppose geologists can see whether a place was below sea level at a certain point, but I think that map is just to give an idea of where the various plates were and how they correspond to modern borders.

Off topic, but could you tell me more about his "upwelling of mantle"? That results in different features on the face of the planet. Geology on this scale has often been interesting to me, but I don't even know what the field is called. I'd like to know more.

Back to maps:

Yup, this is very close to a map of the muslim world. Asia somewhat less, and Africa includes majority christian areas as well. Indonesia is a huge exception, and Turkey too. Little Jordan as well. The map is too lovely to see Lebanon or Bahrain or Qatar. And Kazakhstan only sorta maybe? borders Russia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

made of bees posted:

I feel like any metric that says LGBT rights are more or less the same in all of the US as in, say, the Netherlands is broad enough to be basically worthless.

Blue might as well be one color, which means "not in jail". Yeah some finer details would be nice, I bet wikipedia has some.

Yup:

Legend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:World_homosexuality_laws_map

Source article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_homosexuality

Ooh, this map is good too, it is called "Decriminalizing Homosexuality":

Oh man this is actually great. It notes that France legalized homosexuality for a brief time during the revolution. Abortion was legalized too.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 5, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I'm curious about Brazil, and probably other countries in the same boat I didn't bother to look hard enough at: did they take actual steps to legalize homosexuality between 1800 and 1870, or was it just never illegal in the first place, and the map is counting from date of independence?

It isn't legalize, its decriminalize. So remember that laws against homosexuality can fall into other categories.

I see Canada is on there in the 60s. Homosexuality was only legalized there within the past decade or so. But they did introduce various laws against discrimination around that time. I don't know if they even mention the gays specifically, but I bet that's why Canada is on the list.

I wonder why Turkey is on the list. In the 19th century Turkey started treating different religious groups a lot more equally (christians and jews had typically gotten special taxes and stuff). But Homosexuality? **shrug**

Pastry, thanks for the description. Could you point me in the direction of a relevant article or book or wiki?

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 5, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

pig slut lisa posted:

That's gotta be at least a little wrong. The Nile floodplain is the most densely populated part of the country by far, it's true, but it thins out the farther upstream you go. Also the Fayoum Oasis isn't shown.

I just looked at google maps. The difference is not as large as I would have thought. The delta region is densely populated, but still has a lot of farmland. Zoom in on any part of the Nile flood plain and you'll see both farmland a slew of towns. 200 people per square km? Uhhh, it looks like it'd be close, but it might actually be believable. Egypt does have 80 million people, after all, and they're almost all on the Nile.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kamrat posted:

Since it's International Women's Day (or was yesterday depending on where you live) I thought I'd share some maps about the treatment of women in different countries.

Both are from this Wikipedia article and both are from 2011 so they're a little bit outdated

You won't break any laws by trafficking women in Iran? I find that difficult to believe.

Also: the Caspain Sea isn't a good place for women, either.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Salinity in the Baltic is only a fourth of what it is in the North Sea around the Danish islands, and it drops to less than a tenth in the furthest reaches, due to a high level of precipitation vs. narrow and extremely shallow straits. Conversely, the Mediterranean is very saline, especially in the east, since it has a high level of evaporation and a constant inflow from the Atlantic.

Anyway, the fact that Baltic water comes from precipitation basically means you would have to build a dam right across the rivers leading into it, as well as across the Danish straits. Hell, if you just built one across the Danish straits, the sea level would rise until it found another path, probably through the Kiel Canal area.

Huh, neat. I wonder if there is a map of this?

fake edit: yup

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I guess all the indigenous americans just, you know, left. If only 30 000 were killed, all those other millions must have just gone someplace else. Nobody's fault really.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

All of these non-European civilizations sound like nancy boys to me. No wonder the Europeans won.

In all seriousness, good personal hygiene by itself probably didn't help much against massive epidemics, as evidenced by the fact that the Middle East was almost just as badly affected by the plague as Europe.

This post got me wondering: do any major religions have advice on how to deal with plagues? The Abrahamic religions are choosy with things like diet and hygiene for health purposes, even if it wasn't understood as such when the laws were written. But are there, say, quarantine measures or the like mentioned in holy books? Seems like it'd be some handy thing to have around.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there something on that page about plagues that I'm not seeing?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Killer robot posted:

This is what was missing from every cyberpunk setting world map I've ever seen.

I'd like to see some of those other maps, if you have links.

This thing is great, so many gems. Austrailia labeled as Singapore got a laugh, and the size of the Falklands.

Phlegmish posted:

I remember looking at a map some time ago and being surprised that the Baltic countries were larger than I had assumed. They're just not very densely populated. Flanders by itself has about the same number of inhabitants as all three of them combined.

The interior of the Iberian peninsula is a total wasteland as well, with the exception of Madrid.

Wow, my guesses would have been way off. I had the idea of France being quite homogeneous for its density.

The Rhine, wow! :aaa:

Also, that is a terrible scale. It goes:
135-170
170-500
>500

The gently caress? Is Sicily surprisingly dense, or just a bit bigger than the surrounding areas? Still a cool map though.

Content:

Speaking of countries breaking away, remember how disputed Kosovo was when it left Serbia? Russia was very much opposed. More countries support it now:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

France is homogeneous outside of the cities in the sense that no one lives there.

I'm surprised that so many muslim countries aren't recognizing Kosovo.

The ones that do are the ones that are diplomatically closest with the US. Mostly.

I find it hilarious that Somalia is marked in green, when it has two autonomous areas that are not under government control at all.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

They have an officially recognized government that is in control of a single Mogadishu neighborhood. I'm barely exaggerating.

Yeah. In the past year there's been a big push in the press talking about how things in Somalia Mogadishu have been improving (like street lights!), but I see little evidence of it. There were elections in the city a little while ago, with votes being bought openly. There is little security anywhere; African Union troops (mostly from Somalia's long-time nemesis Ethiopia, who invaded a few years ago) keep some areas under control, al-Shabab and other groups control the countryside to varying degrees. The conflict regularly spills into Ethiopia and Northern Kenya, which has been kit by multiple bombings.

The government only survives with outside support and weapons. The US has been doing most of this (with cash or actual weapons shipments). So what little government they have is probably going to side with the US in abstract international policy that nobody in Somalia would care about anyway.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

duckmaster posted:

Not particularly useful in a country which sent 8 MiG-21s to Israel a few years ago for upgrades. 4 of them mysteriously disappeared: almost certainly sold on by a senior air force General or government minister (probably a few of them). Cambodia has over 2200 Generals compared to the US cap of 500....!

Anyway this is a derail so have some maps.

US bombing targets on Cambodia 1965-73:

Unexploded ordnance in Cambodia (yellow is probable, red is definite):

They're constantly finding unexploded stuff around here. They found this yesterday, which in true Cambodian style they picked up and threw onto the back of a truck!

Maybe not as interesting as some other maps in this thread but important to remember the effects war can have even decades later :shobon:

Jesus. :smith:

Do you have a source for those maps? I had no idea US involvement in Cambodia was so large, I thought it was very brief, or something. I guess I really don't know anything about it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This article mentions the likely source, a released database of US bombing missions in the region

http://www.yale.edu/cgp/Walrus_CambodiaBombing_OCT06.pdf

There's a good map on the second page.

Thanks.

twoday posted:

Thousands of years from now archeologists studying the 20th century will still be randomly blown up by XO, I would like to this. Consequently no one will want to study this period and our material culture will be poorly understood! Especially Belgian and Cambodian culture,

"As previous cultures like the Egyptians sealed their dead deep beneath the Earth to prevent tomb-raiding, these other cultures have buried thousands of destructive traps to discourage theft. Even today, the traps can sometimes be deadly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

"Th-this place wasn't designed to keep people out... it was designed to keep something in!!" :byodood:

The Mongols sure did bring things together for China, didn't they? Sure they killed millions in the process, but break a few eggs, etc.

Does the use of CE/BCE instead of AD/BC bug anyone else? I see no use to it, the established convention works just fine. If you're trying to be less Christian, well its a Christian calendar based on the life of its prophet so good luck.