Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

distortion park posted:

I presume the reason the Nordic's 1st choice isn't English is because they're all already fluent?

In the Duolingo app there’s a little loading blurb “advertising” that Swedish is the most popular language choice in Sweden, and they say it’s largely fuelled by refugees there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Groda posted:

*All yY’all pPrescriptivists gtfo

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

F

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

This is likely dying out now that fifteen years has passed, but when I last lived in rural central Texas, there were definitely still old folks who’s first language was either Czech or German - my Grandfather and great Aunt both were bilingual Czech-English, and in some really small towns you could still find Lutheran churches with services in the old language.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Whereas all San Marino had to do was be nice to Garibaldi and so he left it there.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rebel Blob posted:

"Grossbritannien" is much better, we should adopt it for the English language. Großbritannien is for cowards.

Finally, the conquest of schweizerdeutsch!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Carbon dioxide posted:

Map doesn't go into the different use cases for stop signs:

America: just put them all around intersections everywhere, so that people don't really stop for them anymore.
Europe: Mainly base intersections around yield vs priority road setups for smoother traffic flow, only use stop signs for intersections that are so dangerous a normal yield sign wouldn't suffice, and then only for the directions that actually have to yield, so that people take them incredibly seriously and you need maybe 2 stop signs in an entire city.

You’re not wrong but Europe still has commuter suburbs built by private developers with awful road layouts, so sign density isn’t actually directly correlated with population density

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

« Zealandia » is a colonizer name. Beleriand is preferred.

You only have to change one letter and you get Aotearea!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Saladman posted:

If you're in Zurich before the end of the year, go to Jelmoli's grocery store. If not, then next time in a major Swiss city go to the Globus grocery store. Especially their produce section is crazy, like $11/kg potatoes. Some of them are unusual varietals that you can't get anywhere else, but even a bog standard potato will be like $7/kg.

Globus isn’t a grocery store though, it’s a Bloomingdale’s level department store, and just like many European department stores it has a food section focused on luxury goods, imports, etc. Nobody in Switzerland does their big weekly shop at Globus. Migros and Coop are expensive enough for that.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BonHair posted:

To be more specific, it's nominally independent of the Euro, but the entire currency policy is that it must maintain the same conversion rate to the Euro at all times. So in theory Denmark could opt out, but in practice it's a palette swap. Also we aren't directly bound to support the Euro countries, which I think was relevant when Greece got hosed.

The gulf states do the same thing with the dollar, to circle this digression back to the original map that started it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Warsaw Meridian

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that actually would go the other way; since being identified as a true city involves extra politicking, that means that higher up governments will drag their heels on acknowledging that a settlement has gotten big enough that they'd have to reckon with. And sometimes you'll have the reverse where places do extra politicking to get their privileges before they have the right to them, or maintain their old privileges after they've fallen from grace and their population has shifted elsewhere.

Historically though it used to be the reverse. In a premodern era before strong central governments, if you were a peasant on the land you were either somebody’s serf, owing feudal obligations, or you were a freeholder, without obligations but often without any political rights. Medieval and early modern cities actually had far more democratic and representative governments, so cities and city states often had far more developed concepts of citizenship or residency rights or permissions than the countryside, because political structures other than “that one guy runs poo poo” existed in cities and so levels of access to those structures - ranging from the ability to be one of the guys who runs poo poo through able to vote for them through not voting but can’t be asked to leave to allowed to stay, for now, if you pay, but that can change, all had to regulated in cities centuries earlier. Also, more prosaically, cities had walls, and so there had to be ways to control who was getting let inside them.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Torrannor posted:

So is that supposed to mean that all the red areas combined have 328 million trips per year, while the blue area alone has 466 million trips a year?

Weird how when one side of the ledger excludes all US cities with a non-bus public transport system and the other has Vancouver that’s what you get.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Private Speech posted:

Vancouver doesn't even have underground rail though, so the point still stands.

Plus it's not like Texas has no big cities or anything.

??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaletown%E2%80%93Roundhouse_station

If that’s the standard you’re holding cities to goddamn Chicago doesn’t have a metro.

And it’s not that there are no big cities, it’s that there are no big cities that don’t require a car to live in.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Carthag Tuek posted:

spirit bombs are praxis

Komsomolskayamehameha

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Is Mr. Satan Poland or France in this analogy?

Edit: stupid swipey text

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 22, 2024

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It all comes down to what "weekend" means.

If "weekend" means "the end of the week" then the week should start on Monday and end on Sunday.

If "weekend" means "the ends" of the week then Sunday and Saturday are perfectly positioned at both ends of the week, like both ends of a rope.

Weekend means Brexit.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

kiminewt posted:

Another question: if you're American, and it's currently Sunday and you want to talk about something that's on Tuesday in two day, would you say it's "next week"?

Excuse my disbelief, I just had to change calendar systems once and it shaked me to my very core.

I’d say that’s “this Tuesday” or “this week”, with “next Tuesday” being nine days away and “next week” starting the upcoming Sunday.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

redleader posted:

was there a process for obsoleting plants/animals/farm tools/minerals? should we still be contemplating the plow instead of the combine harvester?

The magic of it staying the day of the plow is that you’re free to contemplate the Wurzels whenever you want.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Saladman posted:

7 in overseas France (DROM)?

Départements et régions d’outre-mer.

But I agree with all the folks who just say add fries to something wrapped in pide and it’s better than a tacos. A tortilla is thin enough already that when pressed in a panini press it just doesn’t stand up to chunky ingredients like fries or the bigger hunks of shawarma meat.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

New game show where teams race across the US but they have to stick to a randomly chosen line of latitude

Geowizard hits the big time

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nimby posted:

I've sometimes wondered why we don't built a big new train station outside Brussels, with the existing tracks into Brussels being used for shuttle trains from that new station into the current ones.
Then I remember how our regions like to gently caress each other over, it'd cost several billions and for some goddamn reason take 15 years to build, and it'd be more poo poo than what we hace now.

What’s the central Belgian equivalent of sugar beet fields? Gare des anciens puits de mine?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

OddObserver posted:

Doesn't French have something equivalent, or is it just fiction that French teachers use to make you think you may have had to memorize even more verb forms?

French has a fetishistic attraction to the past participle, yes. In its most formal written uses you’ll still occasionally find other forms used, but even in everyday writing you won’t see the actual past tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Femtosecond posted:

I wonder what the state of medical care was in Japan versus Europe at that time. If there was a gap and the Portuguese were able to show up and fix a bunch of regular people's intractable medical problems that could be the sort of thing that shakes foundations.

Can’t speak to the very early Portuguese specifically, but during the Tokugawa closed period, Dutch medical books were some of the few western books permitted in Japan, and the whole field of western science was, in shorthand, “Dutch knowledge,” so I’d say the comparison was very much in Europe’s favour.