Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A while back someone asked about Tom Shippey's books; I wholeheartedly recommend them, though I'd say The Road to Middle Earth is better than Author of the Century.

It depends on what exactly you're looking for, really; while both of them cover some of the same ground, Road is primarily about Tolkien's philological background and very thoroughly covers the Ancient and Medieval literature that influenced the Lord of the Rings and how Tolkien tried to preserve or revive a literary tradition that was all but forgotten. Whereas Author approaches Tolkien as [an] author of the [20th] century and how he compares to other writers of his time who dealt with the same issues of the World Wars, industrialization and evil in the modern world, such as Orwell, Golding, Vonnegut, etc.

Both are very readable, but I found Author to be a bit of a retread; I would say if you really want to understand Tolkien, The Road to Middle-Earth is probably the single best book for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Levitate posted:

Did Christopher Tolkien actually write anything at all that wasn't basically just editing his fathers notes?

If only Christopher Tolkien had the artistic integrity to give the fans what they want, like Brian Herbert...

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Not from myth, but also a fairly obvious inspiration:

Gondor = East Rome
Arnor = West Rome

If you really want to go in depth into the mythological background of Tolkien's work, I recommend Tom Shippey's The Road to Middle-Earth.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
People have been a bit smug at you, but to answer your question, there's no such thing as a "single original draft" that got cut down for publication. Tolkien worked on LotR for 12 years or so, and he didn't start out with much of a plan. for example, Frodo would originally meet a hobbit named Trotter in Bree, who would only turn into Strider, and Strider into the lost heir of Elendil, over numerous revisions. If that process interests you, you can get the four volumes of Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-Earth that trace the creation of LotR. But there's no such thing as a longer "director's cut" out there, if that's what you're after.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 8, 2015

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Poldarn posted:

Chris doesn't have an imaginative bone in his body, and has made his life's work editing and compiling everything his father did. Someone else interpreting daddy's books, and interpreting them well, is simply intolerable.

That's just my take on it, not really based on anything I've read him say.

Thankfully, Brian Herbert has a much more reasonable attitude, which led to all those magnificent Dune sequels. Just imagine, we could have had Lord of the Rings 2, co-written by Kevin J. Anderson.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Octy posted:

Who's Steve Jackson and what did he do for orcs' rights?

I know that one was Livingstone. Sshh.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

my dad posted:

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! Sassassin!
poo poo goes the poster-wind and the thread goes gassin.
Down along under bridge, trolling far from sunlight,
Waiting in the Book Barn, hoggin all the spotlight,
There our fancy gooner is, at least he's not a swatter,
Slender as the cheeto-beast, fouling up the water.
But Tom Bombadil, poor thread ratings bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goonberry, Goonberry, merry neckbeard berry-o!
Poor old Sassin-man, you tuck your lard away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again better posts a-bringing.
Hey! Come goony boy! Can you hear me singing?

:jrrtears:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Gimli, do you like lays about gladiators?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
English Breakfast.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Dúnadan, Where's My Ring?

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 19, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Mûmakil Man

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Clear and Present Ranger

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Inglorious Eorlingas

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Shiring

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Wight Stuff

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

The question that's really been bugging me is: did Gandalf gently caress?

I mean his name is "wand-elf", which has me thinking this guy fucks.

Mr. Wands was very attached to Shadowfax.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Imagined posted:

Outside of videogames, has there ever been a prequel to anything, ever, that justified its own existence and added to the qualities people loved about the story it leads into? I'm sure there must be only a sith deals in absolutes but I'm completely drawing a blank.

Hmm.

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

skasion posted:

He did bring it to Numenor (none of the Numenoreans, apparently not even the Faithful, had been told about the rings by the elves, for elves are assholes) and brought it back by hand-waving powers/spirit juju.

Well, at the council of Elrond they do say that droppung it in the ocean would not be a permanent solution, and it would still find its way back to its master. I now imagine Sauron building his own Glomar Explorer to raise the Ring from the sunken ruins of Numenor early in the Third Age.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I respect Peter Jackson for what he achieved with the trilogy, but I've always liked to imagine an adaption by Michael Mann with a similar atmosphere to his Last of the Mohicans. That film has always struck me as very Tolkien-like in its melancholy tone and themes.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

sassassin posted:

Give him 15 years he might look old enough to play Frodo.

If he shaved his head he could play Gollum, no need for CGI.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sam Elliott would make an excellent Elrond. I want to hear him speak Elvish.

The Man Who Killed Sauron and Then the Bombadil.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Imagined posted:

Not to derail, but the Nazi and Unit 731 experiments didn't teach us anything.

I'm a bit shaky on the subject, but I'm afraid you're wrong there. A quick google turned up Hubertus Strughold, for example, who got Paperclip'd.

And the Unit 731 people got immunity from the US and leniency from the Soviets, in exchange for their research data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
ALL SHALL LMAO, AND DESPAIR!