Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

A while back I asked for USA politics podcasts and got great recommendations. Can I get any for USA foreign policy on the middle east and Africa / world problems / crises? Sorry I know that's vague, basically I can't keep on top of the middle east thread and want something more detailed than the guardian articles and more frequent than topical common sense episodes.

Foreign Objects, Radio War Nerd, War on the Rocks, CSIS Podcast. e: jihadology

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

One the one hand, a major party candidate is openly campaigning for fascism. On the other hand, someone threw eggs at a protest. Turns out the problem is money in politics!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

War on the rocks, and radio war nerd

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Both sides are the saaaaaaaaame

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I can't say I've ever been a huge Ezra Klein fan but gently caress did he ever take Sam Harris behind the woodshed. What a loving destruction. Klein is as smart as Harris THINKS he, himself is.

Imagine getting owned by Ezra Klein

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Good story on This American Life about loving moron fascist college students who got their feelings boo boo'ed.

That sounds funny enough to try listening again. I unsubscribed after one too many "here's 4 semi-autobiographical fantasy stories by a twee humourist" episodes.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

buglord posted:

Semi relatedly, I was listening to Sunday School Dropouts which is supposed to be a comedic and (at least implied) informational podcast but I couldn’t make it past the first episode. The premise interested me because one of the hosts is also an ex catholic/Christian and I think that offers an interesting perspective when talking about the bible.

But instead it’s just like “they had SEX lol”. Or talking about how weird it is that eve’s kid or whatever was 800 years old. Don’t get me wrong I love myself some biblical dick jokes and butt jokes about Our Lord but I was really hoping for something more academic.

The Bible Geek might be up your alley

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Fall of rome/ tides of history is terrible about the sound effects. I love the podcast but all the horse clopping and sword noises drives me insane

I had to stop listening when he started acting out his meal delivery ads instead of just reading the copy.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

golden bubble posted:

The major WWI offensives are more than just insanity. Every time they attack, high command is convinced that they've discovered one simple trick that will totally crack the enemy trenches, and sometimes the latest trick comes close to pulling it off. But it turns out that a single innovation was never enough to break trench warfare. Instead, the armies needed to develop the beginnings of modern combined arms tactics to punch through. 1918 tactics are closer to 1939 tactics than to 1914 tactics.

Großer Generalstabs hate this one weird trick!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Snowy posted:

Are there any especially good lefty political podcasts that will be good to follow during the primaries? Something like Chapo or Cum Town but more info/less goofy chattiness. I guess I’m looking for something like Pod Save America but less centrist.

The Antifada alternates between chatty discussion episodes and serious theory and analysis.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Viktor posted:

Inward empire - The Diem experiment part one just released clocking in at an hour and a half.

https://inwardempirepodcast.podomatic.com

:siren::siren:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

This is the worst history take I've heard in a while

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The fact that Alexander has a chance of defeating Duke of Wellington really makes you question the nature of technological progress uh ok

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 7, 2019

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Karenina posted:

Anyone else listen to Sean's Russia Blog Podcast?

A couple years ago, has his delivery improved at all?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Greenland episode was great

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mike12345 posted:

it's removing the pause between words aka speeding up a podcast without changing the pitch

Does it make Dan Carlin podcasts like an hour long or what

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 16, 2020

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anything on Organized Labor? Just anything, not necessarily mysteries and scandals. I'll take simple exposition for now.

Belabored, focused largely on current events, analysis and interviews.

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/category/podcast

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I actually stopped listening because of how bad the ad reads were.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've heard him do that sometimes, yeah; my defense of Matt Yglesias would be that he's insightful. I listened to the "School's out for Covid" episode this morning and there's his bit starting at about 28:00, about the tension between teacher's unions and teachers, and their differing goals regarding Covid. If you're going to give that one episode a go, you'll also see he doesn't steal the limelight from his coworkers, I think he's gotten better about it over the years.

He was really into "what if we took this good idea, and made it worse and more comomicated" when I stopped listening a couple years ago. The female host (Sarah?) was the reason I listened but she got way less time than the two men.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cockblocktopus posted:

Has anyone listened to Fiasco? The David Duke season of Slow Burn was fine I guess but I missed Leon Nayfakh in a way that I didn't in the Biggie & Tupac season, so I was wondering if his new(er) podcast might scratch that itch.

I don't mind paying for podcasts but do you have to use a bullshit luminary app

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

For a different take on business Canadaland has produced a few good seasons about the oil sands, business dynasties, long term care homes, etc.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/introducing-our-new-season-crude/

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Also are there any good literary studies podcasts? Anything that's at least mid-weight scholarly?

New Books Network literary studies sub-podcast. I haven't listened in a few years but the production wasn't great but the content was high level the last time I listened.

https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id426178886

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

That looks really great, I just wish there was a way to change YouTube channels into rss feeds

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Theres a decent audiobook called No One Would Listen

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I just stumbled across What's Left of Philosophy and it's been pretty good through the first couple episodes I listened to.

I don't think the politics of PEL are terrible (like 2 libs a centrist and a progressive?) but they seem out of their depth talking about anything contemporary.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

David Harvey does a lot of economic history if you're ok with marxism

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I thought he did a good job explaining the Japanese perspective in a way we don't often hear when he is able to avoid going into dad—history mode (like the first 1 1/2 episodes)

Ill probably listen to this and get mad but hopefully he can pull it back in for the last episode.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Well the R2P people have no problem with their country supporting coups, starvation blockades, proxy wars, etc. so I'll go out on a limb and say they are lying.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Colonizers are the real victims here great job guys

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Remember when Rokossovsky genocided all the Germans living in Stalingrad

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How many accidents do you think you caused with the random honking and siren noises in you ads

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How do. You even both sides imperialism when both parties love it

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

War Nerd dropping a civil war series 😍

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I hate the production on Tides of History

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm not saying slavery was good.

BUT

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The woke mobs won't even let you starve Bengal any more :(

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Historical Blindness

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Koramei posted:

I couldn't really get into Fall of Civilizations, and personally I like dry. Is there an episode people would recommend as a highlight?.

My favourite was ep 4 about Greenland Vikings

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

twerking on the railroad posted:

One shouldn't be too surprised to learn when professional revolutionaries are revealed to not be good people to be friends with or governed by

This one of many reasons the left will never win power, we need a mean son of a bitch but we keep looking to the most angelic people to save us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Please report back with timestamps of every boxing analogy