Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
You can also ship it to http://www.david-odess.com/repair.html and he will repair your back for 90 dollars, though I have never had to go through him myself.

Speaking of Hasselblad, focusing is very slow for me. While I love the grid markings on my screen, I hate how dim it is. I find myself stopping down to 2.8 every time I focus just to brighten my screen up. How big of a difference does an acute matte screen make? KEH has one for $99 and I am wondering how worth it it is. This version appears to only have the central cross hair markings which seems kind of iffy, especially after having the helpful grid markings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

It's supposed to focus at f/2.8 all the time. Did you hit the DOF preview button and then not reset it?
Wow. Never remembered engaging the dof preview on the lens and didn't even know it existed, but it was definitely engaged. So that should help out a little bit, thanks for the info.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
15 sec exposure on some portra

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Santa is strapped posted:

What did you meter say regarding exposure time? Or, how many extra seconds did you add in order to compensate for the reciprocity failure?

Meter said exactly 15 seconds. Used the spot meter on my N90s and pointed it at the siding under the far window.

Mr. Despair posted:

acros 100 and hp5+ own own own

Haven't used acros (store doesn't carry it :( ) but hp5+ has definitely become a favorite.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Cherisse by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Large format can be disgustingly beautiful sometimes.

This is great. Love the natural pose and love the lighting you got out of it.

Now for something ugly:

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 13, 2013

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Lots of missed opportunities here, in my opinion.
Can you talk a little about what you were going for here and why this one made the cut? Because right now all I'm seeing is a shot that isn't even attempting to accomplish something.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts before I say anything more than that.

By all means give me advice as I need it! I really liked the framing between the trees and the lines leading up from the steps. I still have a lot to learn about posing and directing the people I shoot as I don't know the first thing about doing it (which probably shows) and a lot of times I end up just saying "stare at the lens" and hope I like the expression I am getting. This was also while wandering with my girlfriend so it was pretty spontaneous. Please feel free to tear it down and rip it to poo poo, as I respect the hell out of your work and can't get better without some input.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

McMadCow posted:

Well I'm not trying to say it's crappy or anything, but there's nothing going on. It's pretty much like what D-Rex said. I kind of disagree with him about the setting. I agree that it's nice, but you're not using it to make anything photographic with the subject.
I really don't feel like you're using the power of your MF camera, either. The DOF is somewhere in the middle, but still not really finding or isolating anything in a way that makes me care about what's going on. I don't really feel like you've used the square format to full effect in the composition, but that's pretty subjective. There's little to no consideration given to lighting.
And yeah, your subject just isn't doing anything. You obviously posed her, but to do absolutely nothing. Honestly, if I didn't have an idea for this particular setup, I'd just distract the model with some chitchat and then grab the shot when I thought she was unguarded. At least that could have the potential of showing an interesting spontaneous moment. Otherwise, pose the shot as if you're catching something as it's happening.

If you're having trouble thinking in the square format, look for some inspiration:
Richard Avedon
Lillian Bassman
Irving Penn
Vivian Maier

All excellent square format shooters.

Thanks for this write up as it is putting lots into perspective, as well as for the recommended artists. Pretty much everything you said hits the nail on the head. I have only been using the square format for a little more than 2 months so I agree I still struggle sometimes with shooting for that perspective, but that is something I hope will evolve the more I use it. I'll take her back out there when the sun is a little lower for a bit more dramatic lighting and keep the rest of your critiques in mind.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Jesus rides a chopper.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Does anyone use a mechanical self timer on their medium format stuff? I bought a Kopil self timer but it doesn't extend far enough to fire the shutter on my Hassey and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Back to playin around with multiple exposures

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Reposting this:

Could you possibly explain this chart for the dumdums like me? I see ~*MATH*~ and my brain immediately starts freaking out. So most long exposures that I do rarely get above 2 minutes and the stuff I work with the most is black and white which I feel is pretty forgiving. Definitely moving into the color front this year now that I finally have an extra back to swap out on the spot. So if I am looking at the chart, a metered scene that equals 2 minutes should have a roughly 2.5 stop correction? So does that mean if I was wanting to keep the same f-stop I would need to add more time (so instead of 2 minutes shoot for around 8 min?) and if I was wanting to keep the same time I would need to stop down 2 stops (so say metered at f16 actually shoot the scene at f6.7 or f8)? I feel like I am getting that completely wrong and just wanna make sure I understand how this is supposed to work.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Welp my Hassey just jammed up on me. Mirror is locked up, winding crank is all sorts of misaligned and loose, and because of all this the lens is stuck on the body. I'm sure it's just a spring that's messed up so I'll be shipping it off to David Odess for a CLA, which it was obviously due for anyway, but it's still a pretty big bummer. Does KEH have a warranty policy? I'm probably outside of it as I am creeping up on a year, but their customer service is pretty great and I wonder if they would do me a solid.

dukeku posted:

Bonneville Dam

These are loving killer.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 12, 2014

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

8th-snype posted:

You didn't mount an uncocked lens on a cocked body (or vice versa) did you?

Nah the lens hasn't left the body since I got it. It happened in the middle of a shoot, was on the last frame and the shutter wouldn't fire, tried to wind it but the winding crank felt really loose and the mirror never went down. I've since got the mirror to go back down but the lens is still stuck. There has to be a spring or something that has fallen out of the winding crank because it will not go back to it's original position and it has little to no tension when rotating it. The rear flap (the bottom one specifically) is also stuck open and will not close. It's pretty loving tragic and I have no idea what caused this to happen, I'm just going to call David Odess tomorrow and hear what he has to say and hope that he can repair whatever the hell went wrong.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

I'm actually convinced it was this man's intense gaze that caused my camera to spontaneously combust.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Baron Dirigible posted:

gently caress it, I bought a Hassy.

:getin:

The proper choice. Make sure the first accessory you buy is the brighter focusing screen with split prism as it is pretty phenomenal and is a night and day difference from the standard one. I made the same decision when I first dove into medium format and it has pretty much ruined every other format for me. I think in the last year I shot almost exclusively with it. Also have the peace of mind that if something were to go wrong, you can most definitely get it serviced whereas that might be tougher with the other brands of cameras. The WLF and 80mm combo is also a perfect walk around size for me, and will fit into pretty much any bag. If you are getting your back from KEH, it might have more of a chance of frame overlap than anything else. Mine had it and it took me a few rolls to learn how to position the film so it doesn't happen again. Good purchase though, there is no comparison to that Zeiss glass.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
After nearly 3 months my Hasselblad has finally returned. Dave Odess does a pretty amazing job so if any Hassey owners need a repair, definitely go to him. The thing looks and operates like it came straight out of the factory. I definitely wish the process was faster, as I have been shooting the inferior 6x4.5 Mamiya that my friend let me borrow as well as a d600, but it just isn't the same. Give me my little metal box over all of those cameras any day. Time to get back into making squares :getin:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Spedman posted:

I snagged a $5k ticket to a corporate suite to the Melbourne F1 on Sunday. In between sipping champagne and eating caviar (seriously), I took some shots with the trusty GW690ii:

Tire Warmer by mr_student, on Flickr

Ready by mr_student, on Flickr

Ferrari Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

Lotus Pits by mr_student, on Flickr

Killer.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
fuckery

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I need more film. My local shop closed down so I haven't shot anything in like a month because I have been too lazy to order stuff online. Where's the best place to get film online? Amazon? Here's some random (boring) portraits from the last roll I had developed.

Thomas by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Joshua by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Daniel by Dev Luns, on Flickr

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

alkanphel posted:

Bonus points if you tell them you're an arts student and you're doing it for a project.

Pretty much the only excuse I use and it works every time.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Can someone explain to me the difference between a circular polarizer and a linear polarizer? I keep reading that circular polarizers are more geared towards those with autofocus and with ttl metering. Since I am using a Hasselblad with a WLF is there any reason I should spend the near $100 extra to get a circular polarizer? Also how do you compensate with your metering? Since I can't put the filter on a handheld light meter, how do I get a proper exposure?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
6x6 is Satan's true format. Hail Satan.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Finally got a lens hood so poo poo like this doesn't happen anymore.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Helicity posted:

Well, the first roll of film on my new camera is wasted.

Got a Hasselblad 500 C/M, and have been using it with an A12 back. Every so often when I was playing with it, I would wind it and cock the shutter, and the shutter would refuse to fire. To fix the issue, I took out the film holder and that removal allowed the shutter to fire. I noticed there's one little flat pin and a gear that connect between the body and the back. While trying to assess the issue, the shutter got stuck again except I didn't have the film holder in. I can't seem to figure out any way to fire the shutter, which is now preventing me from removing the back.

Is this a common thing? Any way to fix it myself, or if I need to send it in, is it the body or the back most likely?

Before anyone asks, yes, the dark slide is out.

edit: ugh, I feel like I'm not cut out for medium/large format. I can't seem to ever get a camera that works or doesn't have fungus.

Hmmmm where did you get the body from? If you didn't get it from a trusted source (like KEH), it might not have been CLA'd in a while (if ever). If you got it from KEH contact them and they will replace it. If not, get in contact with this man: http://www.david-odess.com/

Awesome guy that knows what the gently caress he is doing. It will take a while for the repair to happen (took about 3 weeks when I shipped him a busted body) but he does such a good job with calibrating it, that it is definitely worth it. Send in both the body and the back and lens so he can inspect all of it. Don't give up on the system! I would sooner trade in all of my digital and 35mm gear before ever considering touching my Hassey as it is easily the best camera that I have ever owned. Once it's been CLA'd it will perform like it was brand new and will make some pretty incredible images.

EDIT: just saw you got it from KEH, get in contact with them for sure.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

voodoorootbeer posted:

What camera? My Yashica-D flares if I happen to think about the sun and a hood did absolutely dick to fix it. I'm going to flock the inside to end this nonsense for good.

Hasselblad 500 C/M, I'm hoping it helps. It's a pretty big hood so it should shade some of that flare out. At least I hope it does, it should be in the mail today so I will have to test it out then.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Fuckin' fire.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

try it with a lime posted:

It looks fine who cares.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Found your issue.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
My Hasselblad is my first and still my only medium format and I don't regret purchasing it at all. If you can get it for a good deal, get it.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

I went to Iceland and it was pretty okay i guess

Shot with my Fuji GSW690II

Woah. These are all killer, what film did you use?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Helicity posted:

I don't understand all the poo poo you do sometimes, but it's awesome.

Back to Mamiya 7 chat, and for that matter, a lot of the MF cameras... I feel like you'll always be able to get Blads serviced because of how iconic they are. What about Rolleis in 20 years? What about Mamiya 7s? GW690s? Are some of these cameras getting close to becoming unserviceable?

Maybe I am wrong but even Hasselblads aren't the easiest to get serviced. I got mine serviced about a year ago and the only one who I could find that does it is David Odess and it took about a month and a half before I got it back. He does a fantastic job but once he stops doing it, I don't really know who will service them after that. I think the unfortunate reality is that it will be harder and harder to get mf cameras serviced as the years go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Forever obsessed with my Hasselblad. It's been over 2 years and I honestly don't see myself ever getting rid of this camera.

• Locked thread