Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How are you supposed to fight the Dwarf Dreadnought on the third campaign map? I have him down to his last city, but it's loaded up with firstborns, golems, cannons and a flame tank. The only thing I have that can do decent damage to machines is Sundren's sabotage, but I can't get here anywhere near the machines since a single cannonball/flame jet combo can kill her, and will if it's backed up by crossbows. My favorite goblin strategy of overwhelming the walls with bees is also useless, as swarm darters die in one cannonball and most of his units take basically no damage from their attacks.

EDIT: ^Theocrats get Mighy Meek, though. If they could get hold of a Fey Dwelling, that'd be up to +52 damage on tier IV units. :getin:

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mazz posted:

The fire spell that turns all your holdings to tropical ground (and the area past it) is easily the best terraforming spell in the game, so long as you combine it with Domain of the Sun.

Air, Creation and Blight get equivalent spells for different climates, too. Earth also gets a Domain of Earth spell, which just makes all underground cities happy. They're all badass (except Creation, which just spreads Temperate, yawn).

Gerblyn posted:

All those end-game spells are ridiculous are ridiculous by design, the idea is that you cast them and then pretty much win unless they're dispelled.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the Druid one that makes all units float can't be dispelled since it's not an active spell. Instead, it only affects your current units, but not ones produced after casting.

Impermanent posted:

Also are monsters harder underground? I had a dwarf empire that simply could not get off the ground in one game where I started underground and failed to expand in any meaningful way owing to the dozens of threats around me, then started another game where I forgot to tick the underground box and am now king Dwarf of the world. Is that just the RNG? I'm playing on Lord if that helps.

I think the underground is more dangerous, but with the tradeoff that you're a lot safer from other players. Two thirds of the races get a movement penalty down there, and one third gets bad morale. If you're a dwarf or goblin, you're pretty coze.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On random map mode, I've noticed that moving a unit onto another players explored resource/treasure site (like mana nodes and ruins and everything) is considered an act of war, and even if you're at war, your units will path around them unless you direct them directly onto the hex in question. However, it's apparently perfectly kosher to enter unexplored sites, kill the guardians, and make off with the loot. I'm guessing it's because the site is marked as Independent until someone explores it, at which point it changes faction to whoever occupied it last/has it in their borders. My best buddy keeps diving into my borders to loot the ruins and tombs I haven't gotten around to. :argh:

Also, I have yet to see the AI fight each other on random maps. They'll declare war, and snipe unguarded structures and cities, but I don't think I've ever seen them start a fight with anyone but me

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wolpertinger posted:

I think it's because standing on a resource site that isn't yours 'occupies' it, which deprives them of some resource income and is therefore an act of war.

You can't move over one either, though. And if you were at peace or allied, it'd make more sense if you were just treated as guarding it. You can hang around your bros' cities just fine, after all.

Corbeau posted:

I can't be certain 100%, but in my current game I've encountered two AI at war with each other and one of them owns a city of the other's race. On a map with no starting cities. That changed sides somehow.

Yeah, I've seen AI take each others' cities, but only ones that were undefended to my awareness.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

UberJumper posted:

Anyone have any tips for Elf mission 3?

Sundren is Level 17
Goblin Dude is level 12
Sorcerer Orc is level 8 (He also has 7 unused unicorn mounts)

Any part in particular? Once you've united the goblins, you have a fair amount of cities, which are pretty easy to defend as long as you hold the mountain pass directly to the west. Keep a rear guard in case they send a small force through or around the mountains, and send your entire main force through the pass. The dwarf has three metropoles around a volcano and he will probably try to defend all three at once, which lets you take them one by one, while crippling his forces. The human has a couple cities in the valleys north and south of these cities, which are his only means of attacking you. If you take them, he can only attack you through the mountain river. After taking his three cities, the dwarf can only attack you from underground (two entrances) or through the river. I recommend going for the dwarf's capital first (right below the three cities), because nearby is a teleporter that takes you straight to the human's city.

Unit-wise, stick mostly to the theocrat units and beetle/warg riders, with crusaders as a frontline and martyrs to keep your heroes alive. Research the Seeker spell and the Order upgrades that make your units Devout. Go easy on darters, even though against things other than dreadnoughts and dwarves, they're amazing, and prefer evangelists for healing. Get some trebuchets up, too, and lots of exalted when you get those. Once you take a dwarf city, you get access to the Firstborn, so pump those out.

If you have a hard time taking the dwarf's capital, you can send some forces up the river and take the human's cities, which are significantly easier to take, as he is not a dreadnought.

Note that your Tier IV unit, the Shrine of Smiting gets a bonus for every Devout unit on the battlefield, which all your non-hero units should be. If you attack with three stacks, they can easily do 100 damage per attack (half that against machines), and with the Seeker enchantment, they can attack over walls and at range with no penalty. If the dwarf keeps giving you grief, two shrines can take out even a juggernaut in a round or two.

EDIT: Circle around the city with two stacks; one of the others should be less guarded.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 9, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Who cares, it's just humans. I think if they're not gonna have a specific niche, it's better for them to be balanced and a little underwhelming than anything, because players tend to inexplicably gravitate towards the human race in any sort of game. They already have a solid tier 3 and a unique priest.

E: as I understand it, "declared war on their ally" is a malus that applies for peace treaties as well as alliances, which is what's most confusing.

I think you also get it for breaking a peace treaty or for declaring war on anyone someone else is at peace with?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 13, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's kind of odd that there's no Domain of Water spell to make coastal cities happy. I guess it's a terrain type instead of a clime, but all the other affinities get a spell that's more useful, Creation in particular.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

God drat it, this poo poo is retarded. The AI kept spamming the militia spell so those stacks are mostly crap units but it was still enough to make capture impossible, especially since you get 4 vs 3 siege battles AT BEST.

What you could've done here was attack the stacks outside of the city, which would drag adjacent stacks into the battle. If you attacked the stack with three units in it, you'd be fighting 15 units in the field. Then you could attack the manticore stack. After that, there'd only be 8 units left that you'd actually have to siege.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deltasquid posted:

A friend of mine bought this game. He says he couldn't change the windowed resolution in-game, and had to switch to fullscreen to change the resolution and then back to windowed to get the resolution he wanted. The option was greyed out until he switched to fullscreen. This might be a bug?

You can adjust Windowed mode to anything you desire by resizing the window. Just click and drag the bottom right corner. Took me a while to realize.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You know Sabotage works on walls, right? Even stone walls can be toppled by a single scoundrel if you manage to get it off two rounds in a row.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of sieges, I find that it's kind of boring that 95% of player vs. AI combat is offensive sieges. There's a lot of fun combat environments in the game, but you only ever see them against the same few groups of independents. I wish there was a way to make AI encounters happen elsewhere. Even a way to lure out the enemy hero stacks and have a siege where I'm the defender with my own hero stacks occasionally would be fun, but ideally, there'd be a way to have a big epic battle on a bridge or a structure with environmental effects or even over/in lava.

Other posters seem to have had more active AI, but I still have never seen two AI fight each other, even when someone is at war with two or three other AI at once. They'll trespass as freely on each other as they do on your land, and they will steal structures that are unguarded, but I've never seen them actually battle each other, even when you ally some of them, which means you'll get a message every time they fight a battle. When I declare war on an AI, it immediately retreats all its non-flying stacks to it's throne city and cities with stone walls, and just sits there while sending small packs of flying units to try to snipe any cities with a small or no garrison. I play with a mix of Lord and Knight AI, since some goons said that'd make them fight, but I haven't seen any infighting.

EDIT: Also, does anyone else wish the terraforming spells and that one druid spell gave more varied terrain? I was a bit disappointed when my blight druid would could only conjure those weedy-looking forests in blight and underground, when the starting Dense Vegetation is a nice mix of that and mushroom forests and dead trees and cool poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gerblyn posted:

Sorry, we were looking at it today so I assume it will be in the next patch. We were testing it and I saw a bunch of items that I'd never seen before, there's an item that gives a hero a Swarm Darter's ranged attack, for example. I believe we have about 150 items defined, and at a guess only 30 or 40 or so were actually dropping.

Funny, I just got that item in-game. It was a quest reward from an Archon Dwelling for fighting a stack of six Fey units. It was a dear-bought mosquito pipe.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm playing my first (non-campaign) rogue game, and assassins are pretty drat solid. The only tier II unit that's better in my experience is the flame tank. I still have no idea how to counter flame tanks behind stone walls beyond brute forcing it and eating losses.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gerblyn posted:

Well, we're working on new races and a new class. We're also looking into revamping some of the more underdeveloped parts of the game, like diplomacy.

Huh-wha? Is this expansion stuff or are you actually going to just add this stuff with patches??

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Carnalfex posted:

Also I'm surprised more of the special encounter effect spells didn't make it in as playable spells, it would really help flesh out some of the specialties to have things like mass bless/curse, greater anime dead, great immolation, etc etc be castable battle enchants.

Any spell that doesn't show up anywhere else (including Summon Phoenix, which is the only unit you can't otherwise recruit) can be randomly obtained from Wizard Towers and Sunken Cities and the like. So far I've just seen environmental effect spells, but I've only ever cleared a few of those structures.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 5, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Air, Fire and Destruction are the most fun to double up on, as you get a spell that basically lets you turn the entire overworld into arctic/tropics/blight and another that makes your cities happy in those climates. Creation is theoretically better, as its adept sphere gets a spell that makes your cities happy in temperate climates and another that lets you convert chunks of terrain into temperate, but if your end goal is to make the overworld livable and bland, you're playing the game wrong. :colbert:

The elemental masteries also let you summon elementals, which are solid tier 3 units. Earth and Fire have nasty spells that damage everyone on the field (though earthquake doesn't hurt flying units), water gets a healing spell and a weaker AoE spell, and Air gets the Haste Buff and that environmental effect that screws up ranged attacks. Earth also gets a spell that kills population in an enemy city and destroys a random building; I don't know the mechanics, but don't count on it to destroy walls. Water gets a spell that terraforms a bunch of terrain into wetlands, which is mostly good for goblins.

Destruction gets Disintegrate, which is like a superpowered physical version of Smite, and a 20% damage bonus to tactical mode spells. Creation mastery gives you a resurrection spell and one that curses enemies who kill a Devout unit. I'm pretty sure the only devout unit you can get without being a Theocrat is the Human Knight, so it's pretty much a school for Theocrats.

The Explorer specialization is best for Rogues, as it confers its bonuses to Irregular units, while Expansion has no class or race preference.

As a Dwarf Sorcerer, you're gonna have a ton of casting points and a lot of tactical combat spells. With your casting pool, you could invest in Fire Mastery for a buff to make a unit immune to fire damage, the ability to summon fire elementals, and a spell that deals fire damage to everyone on the battlefield. Just roll up to a fortified city with your leader stacked with fire elementals, buff him to fire immunity, and carpet the city with Hellfire until there's no walls left. Destruction mastery could also be solid for the bonus to your direct damage spells.

You can also check the tome of wonders for all the abilities you get from each sphere. I think the most viable strategy is choosing three minor spheres or two and a specialization, since early-game abilities tend to decide the game moreso than late-game spells, and each Adept sphere gives you +5 mana from its related mana node, but the Mastery spells are so much more fun.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Thyrork posted:

You get another spell thats point and click blight, unless im crazy and wrong?

You don't; that's just for temperate. [Climate] Empire spells will spread out well beyond your borders, though, and if you've had them active long enough, conquering or settling a new city will immediately spread a huge chunk of Blight or Ice or Heat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Astns posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing Theocrat?

Just can't seem to make them work until I get all the big spells like Holy War etc.

Evangelists are super bulky for a support unit. Don't be afraid to clobber some heads. Theocrats excel at attrition, since they get the most healing, the Exalted, and can bolster their ranks with enemy units.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Guarded by a horrible puke monster"

Speakin' our language. :allears:

Wild magic gonna own

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You wanna use Devout units as a Theocrat, which means supplementing your armies with your good racial Infantry/Cavalry/Support units. Orc priests in particular go well with the Theocrat, since they don't heal by default, and Bestow Curse lowers resistance, which improves the accuracy of Convert. Shock Troopers and Black Knights don't get buffs quite as visible, but are still solid.

Strategy-wise, the Theocrat as all about attrition. Your units (other than the martyr) are really good at not dying, and you can bolster your ranks with the Convert ability, particularly after a bit of Cursin'. Be sure to use Denounce City or Mark of the Heretic on troublesome stacks, since the damage boost is quite significant. Also note that Theocrat heroes get an ability that grants Resurgence to its stack at level 11, so save up them points from when you hit level 9.

For the units:
-Cherub is just your typical scout, and doesn't have much going for it in combat. It gets Resurgence at level gold, if you're ambitious.
-Martyrs never really did it for me. They're as strong as irregular units but get more HP. I'm not really a fan, since the Theocrat is all about units not dying and the martyr is a unit made for dying. Might be worth it as an orc, though, since you get +5 HP to all units.
-Crusaders are an all-around solid infantry unit and a significant step up from tier I shield infantry. Exactly the kind of unit that likes Tireless.
-Evangelists are the only Tier III support unit, I believe. Their lack of a ranged attack can seem off-putting, but they have a solid melee attack (particularly when boosted by devout) and much better defenses than other support units. Use Convert every fight, even if it's just to scoop up some cannon fodder.
-Exalted are pretty straightforward. Toss them head first into the fray, draw out your enemies, break up their positioning and don't care a whit if they die in the process. They're your cannon fodder and they're much tougher than anyone else's cannon fodder.
-Shrines of Smiting are also pretty straight. Since you should be running mostly on Devout units, they'll pack quite the wallop and can lay down some AoE without hurting your own units. They're especially frightful if you put a Seeker enchantment on them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Warp Domain seems like a huge gently caress you to anyone who didn't take either Air, Fire or Destruction mastery or Creation adept. I wonder if it'd be at all reversible otherwise.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the issue is mostly that once a player enters combat, he'd be blind to everything that happens on the strategic map. A third player could gang up on all his stacks and he wouldn't get a chance to consolidate his armies or anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If they attack you from a city, it'll be regular combat instead of a siege, the latter being significantly easier to defend. In my experience the AI does a solid job defending itself, but never gets around to attacking me, which is what the patch is going to address (haven't played the beta). Maybe try upping the difficulty?

Also heroes get experience even when not in combat. At least I get levels for no apparent reason pretty regularly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm guessing "equipped" means anything using weapons, so any racial units and archons and whatever, but not monsters or elementals.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Goblins:

-All your good units do blight damage (except Warg Riders), so maximize your output here. Untouchables and Blight Doctors can lower resistance. Pick on orcs and elves if you can, dwarves and goblins less so. If you're up against machines and undead, you should produce more class units (cheaper!) or take an orc city or something.
-Goblins cities get bonus population and are perfectly happy underground or in blight, where you won't see much competition. Settle more liberally than you would with other races.
-Untouchables make units unhappy when in melee range and have a chance of making units weak against blight. They also get tunnelling, so you can expand underground from the get-go. They shouldn't be the backbone of your army, but they synergize better than most skirmishers.
-Marauders get cave concealment which is pretty neat, but otherwise they and Skewers are just cannon fodder. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, since they're really cheap, and get Volunteer on Veteran, cutting maintenance in half as well. Skewers do get Armor Piercing, giving a bit of an edge against dwarves.
-Swarm Darters are insanely good; easily the best tier 1 unit. They don't get any of the ranged attack penalties. Use them against anything that does not resist blight. They're also super cheap, so put them in your garrisons. Use them in sieges. Use them anywhere in between.
-Inflict Weakness can't be resisted. Blight Doctors are mostly there to make other units do more damage, unless you've got a Theocrat or Sorcerer behind them.
-Warg Riders, in spite of my original post, get no movement penalties outside of mountains, and the Overwhelm ability. They're excellent scouts and good against shield infantry. Overwhelm helps against pikemen, but pikemen are the kind of thing your Swarm Darters should be murdering.
-Beetle Riders are fairly tanky, and immune to blight. They also get Wall Crushing and Tunnelling. They can't take on Knights or Firstborn in a one-on-one, but that leads to the most important rule about goblins:
-Always outnumber the enemy. :getin:

Goblin Theocrat 4 lyfe

EDIT: Fleshed out a bit.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

madmac posted:

Warg Riders are actually quite nice, they're the cheapest and most mobile cav, since they get Forestry, Cave Crawling, and Wetlands Walking all on one unit. Overwhelm gets them a nice bonus vs shield infantry and pikes, something most Cav don't get at all.

Also, you can't talk about Goblins and not mention Volunteer. Most Goblin racial units get Volunteer at Veteran, cutting their upkeep in half compared to other units. Spam spam away with Goblins.

Oh yeah, Volunteer is also a thing, but by the time it becomes relevant I tend to rely on class units. I can see I've been underestimating Warg Riders, though!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 24, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bandit camps and the like (any structure that's manned by hostile units instead of neutral ones) should be a priority target for you.

Gold-wise, I think the easiest mistake to make is not expanding as early as you can. My first building is always the Builder's Hall (the bonus production pays for itself, anyway), so I can churn out a settler as soon as I've found a prime city spot, or some military if there's a neighboring city to claim. There's no check on expansion, and the base gold produced by cities is by far your biggest source of income. Fill the gaps in your empire with cities, even if all they do is sit there and produce gold/mana/science.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rascyc posted:

Started playing this again after the DLC and to see how buffed the AI got. Well it certainly is better than it was on launch. Do they always collectively declare war on you on King and higher? I can handle one or two opponents at once, but getting three-four is a bit much. Is this because I am aggressively exploring? I'm not aggressively expanding, but I do inevitably end up getting close to the seals of power.

I think AI diplomacy is almost exclusively based off relative military strength. I lost one game because every AI declared war on me after I lost my biggest stack to a treasure site early in the game, and I've noticed that the AI won't sign peace until I've started to produce my second or third stack.

Rascyc posted:

What exactly is the "defender strength" option in the advanced options? Does it buff troops who are on the defending side in city battles?

It's the independent units in treasure sites, like Tower Ruins and Tombs. Maybe also the ones on sites like gold mines and nodes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pony Riders are pretty great. They get two strength per level, so once you get them a few medals, they'll punch way above their weight class.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wild Magic adept gives you Summon Lesser Elemental, which is my single favorite sphere ability. It gives you one of six solid tier 2 units relatively cheap, and each of them evolves into an excellent tier 3 unit, two of which are only available this way. Earth Elementals are tanks with Regrowth, 40% physical resistance, a stun, and eventually Tireless, Spirit Elementals get a heal and ridiculous melee damage and Blight Elementals inflict a ridiculous amount of debuffs. Frost and Air Elementals are pretty similar, making GBS threads stuns and the least resisted damage types, while Fire Elementals are target killers with Sprint and every fire debuff.

It also gives you Swap Position, which is pretty ace since it always swaps units of the same tier. Why yes, that is a cannon on the wall, and the only T3 units I have outside the wall are Earth Elementals. Sure would be a shame if the cannon happened to be out here instead!

Otherwise, I will usually pick an elemental major sphere because I really love the tropical/arctic/blight empire spells (and the Earth Elemental from Earth). Air minor gives you Seeker, which is a great buff for some class units (Dreadnought/Theocrat in particular) and Zephyr Birds, Creation minor has Heal/Bless, Earth minor has Stoning, Stoneskin and Fire minor comes with Fireball and Summon Hellhound. Each also gets a Domain Spell to make cities happy, with Life and Earth in particular being really good. Water and Destruction minor I don't find to be very exciting.

Expander just gives a few really good boosts that are very subtle, while Explorer is mostly good for rogues, since it lets irregulars keep up with cavalry.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think part of the problem is just the design philosophy behind the Dreadnought doesn't work as well in AI matches. It's a class with overwhelming force and resistance/immunity to a lot of tools, but is slow to build up a force and vulnerable to attrition. Playing against a dreadnought, you won't notice their unit attrition unless you're in an all-out war against them, nor are you likely to notice that you have a bigger army, especially if playing against the AI who loses units to attrition all the time regardless of class and gets bonus production to compensate. You will however notice that their machines hit really loving hard and your archers do basically no damage and they're likely just immune to your priests' attacks. Playing against a dreadnought is really loving frustrating. However, if you're the dreadnought, you will notice that your units take forever to produce and that every scratch is staying forever, unless you stack with your leader or eventually a useless builder, unlikely dreadnought hero or mortal gold medal engineer. For some inexplicable reason, the enemy archers and priests will pile their debuffs and attacks on your engineers instead of attacking your machines. You will notice that you hit pretty hard, I guess. Playing as a dreadnought is loving frustrating.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't change anything, but I think that if people ever stop complaining about dreadnoughts from both sides, you've betrayed your design philosophy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Remember that all hero ranged attacks are items that can be gotten by killing enemy heroes (or your own heroes) or made at an Arcane Forge, in a pinch. Ranged heroes should eventually have a longbow and a musket at the least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It cannot be emphasized enough that more cities is always better, and having many cities early in the game basically wins it for you. The builder's hall should be the first thing you build in your capital, so you can push out a settler as soon as you find a good city spot. Also conquer any independent cities that aren't friendly as soon as you can.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Campaigns are good, but civ-style random maps are great.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Also, wild hunt isn't as impressive as Age of Magic or anything but its still pretty useful, especially on an islands map and against theocrat heroes. Floating lets you fly over walls with melee units, too. If only it did something else, too (like adding bonus elemental damage or buffs or a movement buff)

The trick to Wild Hunt is that it's not an upkeep spell, so it can't be disjuncted. This is somewhat dampened by the Warlord Tier 7 spell, whose main effect also can't be disjuncted.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aw yeah Theocrat best class. Couple of points I'd like to add, though

madmac posted:

Evangelists A very handy Tier 3 support you will probably not build huge numbers of, but very good all the same. Convert is an incredibly good unit stealing ability that works at range, and Touch of Faith can and should be spammed to boost resist and morale for key units. They can also heal and pack a decent melee punch, the only real weakness of Evangelists is working them into your formation. They're too vulnerable to put on the frontline, which means they won't be directly attacking in most situations.

I think evangelists are tougher than you give them credit for. They won't stand up to most T3 melee units, but they get a big HP pool and they hit pretty hard. In a herostack, they could be doing triple-channel damage.

madmac posted:

Armageddon Credit where credit is due, this spell is aptly named. A Theocrat with an army and Armageddon active almost can't lose. I mean seriously, this spell+ Holy War is almost +20 damage on your entire army. It is easily one of the most powerful Ultimate Spells in the game, and totally flips things around for Theocrat vs Dread.

Also worth noting that it gives Convert a 85-95% success rate against most units. :getin:

madmac posted:

Goblins Blight Damage Martyrs are interesting, and Goblins let you really go all-in on getting the Holy Snowball rolling with pumping out hordes of cheap class units.

Blight Doctors get Weaken, which lowers resistance and can't be resisted. Mighty Meek swarm darters are also a terror, especially at sniping heroes in sieges. Untouchables are another guaranteed -1 resistance, but only work if you're creeping or ambushing.

madmac posted:

Elves Meh. Elves contribute nothing to the class, pretty much. Even Halflings is probably a better choice.

Well, they do have Shock Sisters, which is a something. A source of shock damage rounds out your troops a lot better than a source of blight, spirit or physical would, and I'd take a debuff support unit over a healing/buff unit, since theocrats already poo poo buffs and healing. I still wouldn't rank them over devout pony riders and luck-boosting evangelists, mind.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 10, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's a sorcerer spell. It'd be nice if there was something like it for all classes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What about an expensive-ish building with a prerequisite like a grand temple or observatory? It'd teleport in a single stack from anywhere in the map, then destroy itself and have to be rebuilt. That'd ensure it being an investment, and would let you defend any core city, but it'd have very little offensive use.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a goblin racial ability. +9 HP/turn on wetlands.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I tend to mostly ignore tier 1 units outside of archers and the good irregulars, which never become entirely useless. I'll use what's in my starting stack and what I get from bandit camps, but my games are usually paced around tier II units with gradually increasing levels of tier III and then a rare tier IV at the end. II and III are where all the most fun units are anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, having to manually verify every "continue existing movement orders" command you have queued up makes the function effectively worthless since it takes longer to find the hotkey than it does just to cycle through them like any other idle army and double-click where you want them to go. Having that process remain automated, perhaps with the rider that seeing an enemy interrupts them and asks for manual attention, would make managing intra-empire movement much less tedious; right now it's a pain in the balls for no real reason.

You can turn the forced confirmation off in the options.

• Locked thread