Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Eh, not really. The Xbox 360 pad drivers are built into the OS from Win7 upwards, and all the ports are/will be of 360 versions of games for a while, which means inbuilt pad compatibility.

Hell even many games without 360 ports are supporting the controllers. The 360 controller is the closest PC gaming has come to an industry standard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Croccers posted:

I know MGS4 used it for peeking out of dumpsters. Infamous 1 for controlling the lightning strike. Uncharted 1 used it for grenades and stupid balancing when on beams maybe.
Uhh.... that's all I remember using sixaxis for.

Heavy Rain basically built the game around it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

I had that game at launch day. That.. that was a poor decision. It's controls out of the gate were so awful they had to patch in a regular control scheme and the touted "play this on your PSP" feature didn't work because the mandatory tutorial required you to push a button the PSP did not have and therefore would never progress. poo poo from top to bottom.

As I recall, it wasn't actually touted and in fact was a complete accident. You're supposed to disable PS3 games from remote play and LAIR's devs didn't.

Not that I'm trying to justify it. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

boo_radley posted:

I think this is the case with controllers if they don't have vibrators attached to them. Didn't the Dreamcast have a small billet in it?

Yeah I don't knock em for this. The Sixaxis didn't have rumble and felt really cheap to people as a result.

Not that that that really helps the OUYA controller.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sono posted:

a bad game with a good demo can't happen)

Well...I wouldn't say it was bad but Brutal Legend certainly had a very misleading demo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Dave posted:

It's basically if I made a kickstarter in 2nd grade and no guys that totally isn't scorpion from MK in different colors!

To be fair that's what the real devs did.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

Maybe someone would buy them for their amazing designs. The Ouya controller would fit right alongside Madcatz existing catalog.

MadCatz turned themselves around for a while, they had the contract for the Rock Band controllers until that hype train derailed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was in a local GameStop today pre-ordering Grand Theft Auto V and happened to see their OUYA display: 3 boxes (2 system boxes and 1 controller box) on top of their checkout counter. Nothing else OUYA related to be found in the store. It was loving pitiful and made me laugh quite a bit.

Doesn't the OUYA not have physical media? What would they have?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I always felt vaguely slighted by this since it's what PC gamers got instead of an actual demo that consoles did, and Bulletstorm, while thoroughly enjoyable, still fell into a lot of the pitfalls modern FPS dp (Didn't it even have a bloody screen? I know it had regenerating health).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I can't say I ever actively sought out health packs if I was low on health. I just hoped the design would carry me through it and I'd eventually find some.

Or quick save/quick load abuse which is really hard to resist in PC shooters.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well I mean it's not cheating per se, so many FPS were practically designed with that in mind. But it certainly took you out of the game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Requested_Username posted:

For the first three levels of Jedi Outcast on master difficulty I pretty much bound quick save/quick load to mouse 1 and mouse 2

Yeah for a long time games were basically developed assuming you'd do this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah I mean it's a really unfortunate mistake but I don't think it's a nefarious thing. At least not compared to the deliberate scamming.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Those numbers might also be distorted by the number of people who tried it once, said "Huh that's neat I guess" then never touched it again.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I mean, I had a couple of Game and Watch sets when I was a kid, because we didn't have tons of money and that's what passed for entertainment back then. As a five year old I loved them to bits (sometimes literally) but man. Nostalgia is the only feeling I have toward them.

Good news then! Nostalgia is the only thing you need to sell a product!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

With the OUYA you coulda had it for free!

• Locked thread