Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

incontinence 100 posted:

The matriarch of a family I know peripherally recently passed away. The matriarch has many children and when it came time to execute (dispatch whatever) the will, there was acrimony. It turns out one of her many sons is deeply in debt from a mortgage and a large HELOC.
This particular son's finances were always assumed to be healthy because he owned a moderately sized house in Kelowna which he bought a couple decades ago. His mortgage was known to be so low that everyone in the family assumed he had paid off the house.
It turns out he had borrowed even more money against the inflated valuation of the house.
This son has been living it up with his wife and two teenaged daughters. This past weekend they came down to vancouver to visit family but rather than stay with them, they got this amazing deal at the fairmont for $370/night. Mom and daughters spent the weekend shopping and one of the teenaged daughters got some collagen injections. Meanwhile the son went down to Seattle to catch the Seahawks game.

I want to draw a picture of Canadian Gothic.jpg where the wife and husband are wearing moncler jackets, standing in front of a Kelowna mcmansion with a couple luxury cars in the background.

That's my story ty for reading. Like and subscribe if u agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If it did exist nobody would use it, because with our volatile land prices nobody would be able to agree on what the price would be 3-5 years in the future.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also the two of them are paying $1,300/mo for food (and cleaning supplies for some reason)?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sleep with the vicious posted:

Something has to give eventually

It'll be the government

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RBC posted:

i think were supposed to feel sorry for the guy who inherited a valuable property or something

yeah this is what it is. Literal propaganda to make you sympathize with the absentee land owner; this could easily happen to you (if only your grandfather was a wealthy gentleman of some kind)!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A house styled building?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe they're over in the Canadian investing thread?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

loving hell, what were you considering buying?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The other day some CBC radio programme had a story about a couple who had bought $20k worth of some college sports players cards, and then sold them for millions of dollars ten years later. My conclusion is that sports fans are loving insane and that couple was correct to grift them out of that money.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Why yes, when I was in the office I was doing work 100% of the time, no doubt about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My mortgage broker just called to remind me about renewal in a couple months. Since I bought five years ago value is up a tiny bit, and interest rates are down. Everything went better than expected I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bid Pmax - 50k on everything and hope you get lucky.

Do not pay the absolute maximum you can afford on anything unless you are 100% certain you will not lose any income in the near future.

e: VVV fair, bid Pmax - 25k. Remember that it is a starting point after all, they will ask you to come up.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 27, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t see why government debt is such a big deal?

It isn't. But as you say, most people (quite reasonably) don't have the expertise to know whether it is or isn't, and when the only source of news you hear about it is the right wing papers writing about Canadian Tax Payers Federation and Fraser Institute papers, it's easy to get the wrong idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Well maybe we make money so complicated because it’s basically fake and a method of control for sustaining social order. I’m not a gold standard guy but modern economies are too big to be backed up by a limited resource. We had to use fiat currency because there isn’t enough gold in the world to capture all the value of the Canadian economy.

This is a big driver (especially pre-Industrialization), as having the economy continue to grow while the money supply cannot because you haven't discovered a new silver mine lately is very bad, but it's not the whole story. Fiat money as we use it today largely emerged out of the big 20th century wars, where having a government that can just print new money is extremely useful, whether you're fighting a cataclysmic war or digging your way out of a Great Depression, or just keeping a thumb on the market at the macro scale.

That last point in particular is exactly why a lot of the gold standard and bitcoin crew hate fiat money; it has nothing to do with the lack of backing, and everything to do with philosophical ideas about what the government should do. Groups like the Austrian school want to take control of monetary policy away from governments because it is too useful.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Most people just use the idea that all finances have to be treated like household finances. Which means you should never spend more than what you are bringing in.

And then there's this. Household finances is the kind most people are familiar with, and there's not enough voices in the media willing to point out that governments are fundamentally different from households, and as such the rules are completely different.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 27, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eh that still doesn't really change the argument about variable being better always. Though the cash back thing would.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

T.C. posted:

Have variable rate mortgages existed as a real option through a time of sustained interest rate increase? If not, the premise behind variable rate having always been historically better is pretty faulty.

The point of variable rate is that the banks are almost certainly more aware of what's going to happen with future interest rates than you are. And you don't get to fix at the current rate, you fix at what the lender offers; at a time when interest rates are expected to rise the fixed rates will be much higher to cover that risk of prime rate bumps.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do you think I moved to a small town so I could experience small town living? gently caress no give me a rushed together cookie cutter house and a 30 minute commute to anywhere.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And if the mountain falls down on the town, a new wave of locals can get jobs digging it out again, thus creating the self sustaining economy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's not like it's impossible to do, I live in a wood framed Condo building and I rarely ever hear my neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly as I shop for a new house now, it's wild how lovely some of these illegal suitemortgage helper suites(!) are. Absolutely lovely places to live, often DIY'd and poorly constructed, that also sometimes manage to ruin the upstairs spaces as well. It's real obvious that the owners don't actually live in them, and they don't give a gently caress about the quality of them. And because their target market is apparently other investors and first time buyers desperate to get a foot in the door, this apparently doesn't even hurt the value of them.