Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My friends keep buying but I think I am in a different demographic than most in this thread :corsair:

Harper and company intend to lose knowing that poo poo will fall apart and they can get another nine years starting in 2020ish

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Professor Shark posted:

It's silly to think that they INTEND to lose, it's more like they have a back-up plan for when it does, and HOLY poo poo if people aren't going to be looking for a someone other than themselves to blame when poo poo hits the fan!

Yeah, "intend" was a poor choice of words but I don't think any tory will be surprised if they lose and they will most definitely have a great time in the house blaming everyone else for the woes of the country. It will be a frustrating thing to witness, I am sure.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Cultural Imperial posted:

Nope. See above post about housing starts, a leading indicator of the housing market.

Housing starts for April will be real interesting, by then there will be no way for anyone to not notice how bad things have gotten. OPEC intends to destroy the American fracking industry, which will take a couple of years of low oil prices. The tarsands oil industry getting destroyed is just an added bonus to them.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Kraftwerk posted:

There seems to be plenty of people who can easily afford the kind of crazy real estate prices that are flying around here. As long as people can afford it the prices will go up. That being said I drove a development company employee who told me that even the "premium" builders are charging way above what you're actually getting. In spite of this people still eat that poo poo up and pay for it.

I have friends that are rich and a lot of them have bought houses in the last couple of years, most of them have spoken to me about the bubble and none of them care if they lose 20% as they have bought their houses because they needed a house. People who have been speculating on the market and buying up condos or houses to rent are the ones who will get burned.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I grew up in a monstrous home in Parkdale, just a few blocks from that big house across from High Park that you guys are talking about. We had 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 fireplaces, a large dining room, a huge living room, a loving kitchen pantry and it was a semi-detached house. The Victorian homes in Toronto's west end are gigantic.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Mississauga issued $1.1 billion worth of building permits in 2014

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/ci...309305F36159BF2

The City of Mississauga issued building permits for more than $1.1 billion in construction in 2014. Total permits issued by City staff increased by more than 15 per cent to almost 3,800 in 2014 from about 3,300 in 2013, an average year. The City also issued an additional $400 million in conditional permits to help get construction underway.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Ceciltron posted:

It can be done, but won't be easy. My dad had a similar strategy in the 90s. He paid off a 25 year mortgage in 7 years. The secretary at the bank called him "Mr. Lump Sum".

Good luck!

My girlfriend paid off her condo in 6 years doing this as well, hard to achieve for many people as you have to live within your means.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Paying off bubble prices requires more than living within your means though. Particularly if you're making the median national wage or less. In that situation you need to not only live as a ascetic but to also not have any financial disasters befall you for at least a decade or 2.

A clearly unreasonable situation to be in.

She paid it off 4 years ago, it took her 6 years to pay it off. She bought in 2004.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

So pre bubble years for Canada. Good on her but that is still pretty tough for most people to do. Even with making large sacrifices in their standard of living due to the stagnating/declining wages over the last few decades.

Yeah, it worked out well for her, there were a couple of years I tried to convince her that putting the lump sum into the markets would be a better idea but she is "risk adverse" so always put it into her condo. She makes good money and even maxed out her RRSPs nearly every year, I don't know how she did it sometimes.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My girlfriend's uncle sold his house in Vancouver this past weekend for ~$1.3M. He and his wife paid less than $200K for it back in the '80s. He was going to keep it for a few more years but he wanted to downsize now and do some travelling.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Any boomer rear end in a top hat not doing this is a loving moron. That's tax free capital gains.

Yup, he is 61 and intends to keep on working as long as the company will let him. He gets 2 months of vacation and each year travels all over the world, he was in Nepal last spring and is visiting eastern Europe this year. His kids are all grown up and left Vancouver years ago so he doesn't need a house anymore, he bought a condo by a metro station and will travel 15 minutes to his job. Best place in the world to live, etc.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My friend lived at number 48 and his mom blamed any and all problems on this unlucky number and, when she finally cut off her toes while mowing the grass (yes, she was wearing flip flops), they moved. They only bought the place because it was cheap and her husband didn't believe in superstitious bullshit.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
"Investors were promised a 34 per cent annual return on an investment of $99,000 which was supposed....."

Lol, how insane do you have to be to fall for this? I mean, there is dumb and then there is just plain insane.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I haven't owned a car in seven years, it is awesome.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I've been paying $600 a month for the last 9 years, my landlord likes me and just says that if I ever move out, he'll raise the rent then.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress no it wasn't. My parents took out a 100k mortgage and back then in the mid 80's that was like huge and insane and all their friends were worried they were going into such extreme house-debt. That was to buy a huge house in one of the most expensive parts of town too. Prices were not much different in Toronto back there.

My parents bought a house for $180K in 1991, their mortgage was about three times their annual combined wages, it wasn't considered too risky back then. Or at least, it wasn't considered risky in their circles; they ended up paying it off in about 15 years or so.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
The Prison thread had some discussion about Whole Foods; a lot of their stuff is cheap because they use the California prison system as a labour pool. Killer Mike song, etc...

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
If you own, you are basically renting from yourself.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

HookShot posted:

If she has it through the fact that her mother is French, your wife would have had to claim her French citizenship before she turned 18, I think. Either that or it's just WAY harder afterwards. I had to go to the consulate just before my 18th birthday to register with them in order to keep it since when I was a kid I was just on my mom's French passport.

Yes, it is very hard after the age of 18. My sister's husband was born in Poland and they started the process for all six of her kids to get EU passports last summer. It was at my insistence that they got it done and it is just in time because my eldest nephew turns 18 in June. He picked up his passport just today, in fact.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
So how many people have lost their job in Alberta since the crash began? 30 000? More?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My sister gets unsolicited offers on her house in Roncesvalles Village all the time, usually quite low. The person feels that because they casually know my sister she will give them a few hundred thousand dollars off of her house if she ever decides to sell it, people are really just dumb as hell sometimes.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Baronjutter posted:

My grandpa is pretty old, in his mid 80's and live alone in a nice 2br bungalow in a very expensive neighbourhood on a hill with a fantastic view. He gets a lot of the same poo poo. People will just come to his door and offer him crazy low-ball prices thinking he's some stupid old man. It really pisses him off.

The worst though is that he has a couple neighbours he hates. They're in their 50's and inherited a huge mansion cut up into apartments, along with a coach house. They live in the house, which is big and nice but a bit dark and hidden by trees. They want his house, they want it bad. They are also really stupid and weird people. Act like they're self-made rental tycoons despite just inheriting the poo poo. But the worst is how they transparently try to "help" my grandpa. They'll constantly check up on him, she'll cook horrible food for him (he's super fussy about food and a good cook) and they generally just try to impose them selves in his life all while telling him he's such a poor old man who needs their help. They jump at any chance to "help" him and constantly tell him how he shouldn't live alone. Every few months he finally blows up at them and tells them to gently caress off and they are transparent as poo poo and just want his house, they act offended and back of for a few months then come back to fuss over him.

They've called a nurse line a few times saying that he's too old to live alone, they've repeatedly tried to tell the authorities that he's senile and has severe dementia and is a danger to him self. A nurse or an OT will come over, assess him, say hes fine. I don't know what the gently caress their strategy is or why they think they'll get my grandpa's house out of their plot.

Their latest deal is to have him GIVE them his house and they'll "let" him rent one of their suites. Not at a discounted rent or anything, they'll just be gracious enough to allow him to move into one of the apartments they own and promise to keep an eye on him. He recently had to go to the hospital and they got really upset at him because he called his daughter who lives near by but didn't inform them. "Why did you bother your daughter and son-in-law?! You don't need them we're right across the street! You can rely on us instead!"

He keeps telling them "you'll know when I'm selling my house because there will be a for-sale sign out front, at that point you can make an offer". But these neighbours know better. If they keep harassing him he'll simply give them his house.

Oh also the neighbour likes to live trap squirrels and then strangle them to death. Really weird dude.

\/ Victoria

Jesus, that is crazy. I hope you have his will and everything sorted out, these are the types of people who will get a lawyer once he dies and say that he promised them all sorts of poo poo. This happened when my father died, it was brutal, people have no shame. Luckily, my mother was the executor of his estate and told everyone who didn't have anything in writing to fyad.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Baronjutter posted:

He's extremely secretive about his will and gets mad for weeks if you bring it up, like just wanting to make sure he's got it sorted out regardless of who gets what. He sadly trusts no one and has a lot of trust issues/paranoia around finances. He had a rough time during the war and a rough time as an immigrant (loving calgary of all places, no wonder he has such strong opinions on canadians) and wouldn't speak to any of us for a good 10+ years but he's mellowed out a bit now that he's older and realized being angry and alone at the end of your life isn't so fun. He really really likes my wife, because she isn't Canadian (canadians are all stupid uncultured scum barely above the lowest form of life: the american). Even though a lot of the reasons he had a very bad time during the war was at the hands of Russians, he still likes my wife better because at least she's not Canadian. My mom is ok but married a god drat canadian, I seem to be ok too because I like to visit europe and knew better than to marry a stupid canadian.

I think he would fit in pretty good in this thread actually. Should buy him an account.

Is he the one who said "Canada is a welfare state for losers"? Or was that someone else's grandpa?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ignore them and buy an equivalent weight of Apple stock?

My friend begged me to buy Apple in 2009. It was approaching $100 and I thought that it was too high already. Hahaha.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
How many millionaires are in Toronto? Or any large city in the world? Forty five thousand millionaires moving into a city over 7 years seems crazy to me.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My father is a Kiwi so I have a NZ passport which also allows me to live and work in Australia, I hate both those countries though.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Off topic question----where is the best place to convert Canadian pesos into Euros in Toronto? My nephew is going to Poland for a month and I want to give him some money for his trip. I've already told him to stay there permanently because Canada is sure to implode while he is gone, maybe I'll even join him....

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

jm20 posted:

You can buy things in Euros in Poland just fine, just make sure you know the rough exchange for Złoty and it'll be fine. I would personally live in Canada over Poland, but ymmv.

If you want złoty you need to hit up the polish credit unions, polski town is Roncesvalles in Toronto and Dixie/Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga.

Thanks guys, yes, he is two blocks away from the Polish credit union on Roncey, I honestly thought Poland used the Euro. Wow.

The kid has an EU passport, he is seriously thinking of staying somewhere over there, teaching English for a couple of months.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Aren't some of the new condos at the base of the Don River in Toronto sinking? That's all reclaimed land that was Lake Ontario a hundred years ago. I was told that the Canadian Tire at Leslie and Lakeshore is sinking too, they've had to remove all their garage bay doors because the structure has shifted so much.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Wow, the dollar fell more than a whole cent today to 77.43. It's going to be at 72 cents by Christmas.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I suppose that after this week's stock market rout, people with money in China are panicking, property in Australia must be deemed a good investment.

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 23, 2015

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
With China cratering, this is going to be an extremely bad week for Canada.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Yup, people are panicking. This will be a historic day.

Also, holy gently caress, 5 trillion lost globally since August 11th?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I wonder how low the dollar will fall? Down to 73 cents by Friday?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

1500quidporsche posted:

Now is a great time to point out the great con that is defined contribution pension plans as everyone's is probably in the shitter right now.

I'm honestly looking for a job at the city as they're one of the few places that still offer defined benefit plans.

How's the TTC's pension plan?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

resistentialism posted:

Another look at this dumb house that sold, but the description made me smile:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/09/01/unlivable-beach-house-sells-for-1-million.html

That house is a 3 minute walk to the beach, I would have bought it had I the money.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
What does Malibu have to do with Toronto?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I'd like to live in California too but I live in Toronto.

Sometimes this thread is like an echo chamber. I have well educated friends that have bought homes in the past couple of years and they feel that the market is likely to correct but, so what? The prices will go back up again eventually.

I guess it helps that they've all bought houses that they can afford and they have bought these homes to live in and not as an investment.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I have a friend in Newport Beach and everything shuts at 7pm, there is very little to do once it gets dark, it is a beautiful place to live but boring. I'd retire there, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

This thread is so cute. I can't wait to see how many people act like it ain't a thang after they lose 30% of their ~equity. Then their job. Then their partners job. Then the repo man comes to take their ~premium luxury car away.

Then the municipality starts cutting services because housing permit revenue has dropped to zero.

Yeah a housing crash isn't going to affect anyone. House prices will just go back up again in the ~long term~

I was just providing a differnece of opinion to the thread because, as I said, it is often like an echo chamber in here. My friends have money but they are not stupid, they haven't speculated on the future other than they know that their future will be in Toronto. Most of them seem to drive Subarus, if that matters.