Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I really like Planescape: Torment but the question "What can chance the nature of a man" was not really that significant a reason to me liking it, I just liked that it was all weird and wordy and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Adraeus posted:

You guys are weird.

Colin McComb and Monte Cook were the lead designers on Planescape at TSR after the creator David Cook left the project. That's the original Planescape, on which Black Isle's Planescape: Torment is based. McComb was a designer on Planescape: Torment at Black Isle, too.

FYI: http://colinmccomb.com/?p=157

Well, that's the setting in which it is based, but that's not exactly the same thing. I expect there were a number of literary influences on Torment, and that very few of these were in the setting. And a lot of people seem to be saying it's the literary value of Torment that was what they dug about it or something.

Me, I really liked the setting weirdness so I'm cool with two of its designers being on board with this.

PS the 'canon' answer to that nature of man thing was totally 'regret' I reckon, because I'm pretty sure that was one of my high wisdom/high intelligence answers. If the stats unlock it, it's the truth. :colbert:

Also, was I the only one who used to call the PI 'Practical Pig'?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kicked in for 125, looking forward to seeing my grave in game.

Also, I'm kinda hoping we get the PDFs of the Numenera books before the game comes out so I can spend the lead up to this game's release reading up on the game world and stuff.

I bought two copies of PS:T back in the day (although technically one came free when I pre-ordered BG2) and I may purchase it from GoG some time just so I can reminisce on how rad it was.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One thing about the Wasteland 2 setting which excited me somewhat was that there appears to be a lot of vegetative regrowth. I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing office buildings with trees growing through them and covered in vines.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jenx posted:

Also, someone go buy the Baldur's Gate license so we can get that divine-level Bladur's Gate 3 game mentioned earlier!

Those guys who released the Extended Edition or whatever it is just did/are doing that.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I gave it three votes.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have heard that Rothfuss's books are really fun, so I am looking forward to him being involved in this game so that parts of the game will have a sense of fun.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm genuinely surprised, I had seen more than a couple of times the sentiment that 'sorry he's totes busy with Project Eternity and stuff and can't do more things' but I am happy that he is in because
a. PS:T was allegedly his baby so perhaps his involvement will mean a lot of the things that I like about PS:T will be in this; and
b. Having him as a stretch goal means they will get more money.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe it's a rhetorical question and continually analysing it is dumb.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NihilCredo posted:

If you are using "rhetorical question" correctly, you're saying that the answer will be "nothing" and the idea of a game based around that is pretty unexciting. If you are being edgy and using "rhetorical question" to actually mean something not to be answered, like a zen koan, then I hope you're wrong because that would be a dumb plan for the game.

I'm saying that I'm pretty sure one of the devs explicitly said that it wasn't supposed to be a question that you find out the answer and go 'Oh, so it turns out that that one life matters exactly this amount, that's interesting', but that it was more supposed to be a thematic thingie whatsit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Necroneocon posted:

I use ME as a recent example of lovely RPGs that people crow over as if they were actually RPGs but I can go back to pretty much RPG after DA1 was created if you'd like.

The point is this, and gasp, the ToN devs agreed with me in a long email exchange we had. RPGs have been going down the wrong road for a while, this game and Wasteland 2 is a chance to fix it. You're speculating on a question like Philosophy 101 people. Wait and see what they present beforeyou go :smug: What does one life matter? Well whatevs. Text in my game? Feh. No female character like Miranda (or, to make NihilCredo happy) Morrigan's boobs hanging out? No thanks *goes back to Call of Duty*

For older gamers, RPGs were about the story, experience and the unique and memorable characters. What RPGs have been turding out these past years have avoided that.

Well I would use ME as a recent example of an RPG that was rad as heck with the exception of one or two slight problems in 'finishing up.' The point is this, and gasp, William Shakespeare agreed with me in a long series of letters that we wrote to each other and added little love hearts to the bottom, RPGs have been going down several different roads for a while, and using words like 'wrong' about the direction one particular franchise decided to take is dumb, and your 'Oh, you don't agree with me, well go back to Call of Duty' comment is also dumb.

Also a lot of old school RPGs were basically straight dungeon crawls.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Update Email I just got said something about a new city stretch goal or something. I dunno if that's a new stretch goal they're introducing or if they're letting us know we achieved that at some point. But it looks pretty dope, it's like an upside down fishbowl dealio.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wearable capes confirmed!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurai posted:

I'm sure others can come up with many more and better examples, but in Baldur's Gate 2, the best wizard in the game is as evil as they come. None of the other NPC mages even come vaguely close to being as good as Edwin. Similarly, I believe the best straight-up fighter in the game is the evil dwarf (though of course no one is as awesome as Minsc and Boo).

The first point I would make is that having evil NPCs be powerful is not really an example of evil choices having beneficial consequences; if you act like a dick in Baldur's Gate what happens is you get fewer quest rewards and eventually, slaughtered by the Flaming Fist.

The second point I would make is that Minsc is terrible and overrated.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Why did you jerks mention that extra Numenera source book I didn't already have in my pledge, I had to go and up it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Wizardry 9.

I would give the smoldering remnants of SirTech so much money.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Then again, if you max out your constitution like my brother did, you regenerate absurdly quickly.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mozi posted:

That's how my main characters are in RPGs anyways so it worked out well for me, but I hope the new game has more options in that regard.

Just got widescreen set up for my old PS:T, maybe I'll try playing a bit later. Thing about those old games is that you forget the long, boring, tedious parts.

Yeah I just started again with all the mods as well. The opening conversation with Morte is completely different, which is weird.

I'm heaps reluctant to take any actions which destroys any of the undead, because I want them all around for later.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You don't really need to cheat your stats, just start with 18 in both Wisdom and Intelligence, and the maximum Charisma that this then allows, and then after Wisdom and Intelligence have both been boosted to 20 start boosting Charisma. Sorted!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I actually don't remember that being necessary, but if it is just cast Friends.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Planescape: Torment chat, since it appears that this thread is where that is happening: I am getting crashes on attempting to use the modron cube for the second time. All of the GOG approved mods are installed. Anyone know what the dealio is with this? Should I just shut all the mods down temporarily?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just finished replaying Planescape: Torment and there were stretches of the game that I would've appreciated a pocket plane or something just so I could rest or dump a bunch of my stuff.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mordaedil posted:

it was probably the best timed quest in video game history.

Is that like how herpes is a better infection to catch than HIV?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Norns posted:

I couldn't stand Dead Rising due to the stupid timer. I wanted to gently caress around and couldn't because I felt pressured by the timer. Guess that's more my issue than the game's. But I never finished it because of it.

For real, the time limit ruined Dead Rising.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wow, I forgot how much I pledged to Torment for not even any physical rewards.

Worth it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If the backers of Numenera are getting their PDFs, presumably the Torment backers who chipped in at the appropriate tier will be getting ours relatively soon as well.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I Emailed the Numenera guys (There's some details in this update under Ebooks http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/numenera-a-new-roleplaying-game-from-monte-cook/posts/565949 ) and now I have all of my PDFs, oorah.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope they don't go with turn based (although it sounds like they will because they want to and most people want them to) because of the whole 'immersion' thing partly in that having my characters wait their turn in combat doesn't really make sense.

I'd take the simultaneous turnbased that someone once mentioned with the caveat of having autopauses at certain contingencies to be able to reissue orders, or being able to pause whenever I want, or being able to set it to not pause at the end of turns if I didn't feel it was necessary.

(So basically, it would be real time with pause with a whole bunch of autopauses in play to make it every bit as measured as turn based, with the added bonus of not being all temporally messed up and having exploits available like popping out from behind walls, taking shots and popping back, and never being available as a target.)

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The 'great' thing about Arcanum combat is depending on your character type, one of the control styles was better for your character than the other. Turnbased not working? Try real time, you may find you suddenly become more powerful!

(Not necessarily suggesting that it would be impossible to have a game with both where both were decently balanced, but I don't think that would be a good use of resources. I don't want turn based, but I would prefer it over a system that tried to have both.)

Zore posted:

Because that's literally impossible to balance.

RtwP is basically impossible to balance as is. Everything is amazingly easier the more you pause and micro, but if you balance around that then the real time version becomes stupidly punishing and the pausers get an even easier game if you balance everything as if you're playing real time.

Turn based or Real-time (no pause) are really the only ways to do anything in a sane way if you care at all about combat being challenging. Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, IWD, XCOM Apocalypse, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment all prove that. The only game I can even think of that didn't get significantly easier with a RtwP system was Jade Empire, and that's really only because you only controlled one character in combat and it was paced slowly enough that you didn't gain any real time to think or micromanage when paused.

Well since everyone has access to the pause function, if you balance for RTwP rather than RT without pause, and tell people to use that pause function, you should be fine.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 8, 2013

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also RTwP can't be exploited in weird ways and is a little more similar to real life than turn based.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Line Feed posted:

How is RTwP any less weirdly exploitable than turn based?

Because all characters move at the same time instead of the enemy having to wait until you've finished your turn and used your last couple action points or whatever they call them to move everyone around a corner or, if you''re fighting against a melee critter, to move just that little bit too far away so they can't move to you and attack, which is the way I always won fights in Fallout.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well sure, but kiting is a thing you could theoretically do in real life to an enemy if you were faster than them and had a missile weapon. Hiding around corners during their 'turn' is less so.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Line Feed posted:

But you said in turn based combat you could "move just that little bit too far away so they can't move to you and attack", which is exactly the same thing. And you can hide behind corners for cover in real life.

I was referring more to being able to hit them in melee combat but they can't hit you because you strike them and then move away. Having a missile weapon and them not having one, and being faster, should enable you to pretty much attack them with impunity. Being faster but still needing to stand next to them to deal damage shouldn't, but in turnbased sometimes it does.

And you can hide behind corners in real life, but the difference is that when you come out from behind that corner they can shoot you back, whereas in turnbased games if you do that during your turn and get back behind the cover before their turn starts, they can't.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mortal Sword posted:

Unless the game has an overwatch option, which many do.

Literally nothing about RT is like "real life combat". Same with turn-based, of course, since neither one is realistic.

Yeah, no.

This is just a matter of your preferred video game abstraction, there's no reason to pretend real life has anything at all to do with this.

Real life happens in real time. Real time combat is a closer simulation of real life than turn based, which real life does not happen in. This is not (just) a matter of preference, this is a matter of literally, one of these is how real life happens and one is not.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are many elements of games, particularly role playing ones, where it is seen as a positive thing if it's more realistic. (Balanced against things like game balance and how fun it is etc.) A lot of people like it if characters react 'realistically' to the things their characters say in conversations. A lot of people like 'realistic' physicsy interactions. (Fire spells interacting with grease spells as one example that a couple other recent kickstarted RPGs have mentioned they're doing.) Suggesting that combat being more realistic would, in a vacuum, be a positive thing, should not be seen as an odd thing.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gyshall posted:

Wish you could have both RTwP and Turn based. Oh well.

Never wish for this, not ever.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HotCanadianChick posted:

A better solution to the problem of sloggy TBC fights is not to dumb-down the combat, but to get rid of the boring trash fights and uninteresting combat mechanics that cause it to be a boring slog.

TBC isn't slow and boring - badly designed/repetitive encounters and combat mechanics are boring.

Turn based combat is slower than RTwP by virtue of having people not act at the same time, so the duration of each turn will be approximately multiplied by the number of participants over how long RTwP will take. It might not necessarily be boring, but it will definitely be slower.

HotCanadianChick posted:

E: re: turn based being more tactical - chess is turn based and you don't hear anyone calling for it to be made real time to speed things up, and it's still considered one of the most strategically challenging, mentally demanding games even centuries after it's invention.

...I also wonder how many of the people who say they feel TBC is too slow have actually played the pencil-and-paper RPGs (all of which are turn based, bar none) that the IE and other D&D-spawned WRPGs are based on - I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the people who favour RTwP aren't PnP gamers and therefore are approaching things from a purely videogamer perspective.

Well, it would be difficult to convert the rules of chess to be real time. While I have heard of real time pen and paper RPGs, I think the main reason that the vast majority of them are turn based is that a human DM isn't quite as good at controlling the intricacies of how many people can do what how often in real time as, for example, a computer would be. That is, they are turn based by necessity, and with a computer that necessity no longer exists.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I voted for RTwP (once I figured out I had to log out and back in again, that was annoying) but I kind of agree that with the votes pretty much neck and neck InXile should just say "OK well thanks for the opinions now we're gonna do what we more or less planned to all along" which seems to be Turnbased at this point.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I get that combat is less the focus of this game, but I like having it there so I can see how much more powerful I am now that I have done a whole bunch of stuff, and can flex my combat might at enemies that caused me trouble earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sleep of Bronze posted:

90% of combat suckage in PST was that bloody radial menu for spells which you had to click through a dozen times to get to your best spell. Then do it again next round. Hairtearingly frustrating.

For me the bulk of combat suckage was the complete lack of autonomy my NPCs seemed to have. After every enemy downed, it seemed like I had to give everyone a new job. I would've preferred for them all to just move on to the next thug and start punching.

• Locked thread