Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really don't know if this project fills me with fear or hope. It's second only to PE in dear-God-please-don't-gently caress-this-up right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brother None posted:

That's the plan! We've got way more run-up time to this than Wasteland 2 or Eternity had, and plan to use it. Expect a more informative, detailed pitch.
Streamed boxing match between you and Rope Kid or it's no sale, mister. :colbert:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who didn't get in on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter, that $45 price-point is loving gold. Y'all know that, right? Of course y'all know that. Gold, Brother None.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iacen posted:

So... If I wanted the 45 dollars reward, but also the soundtrack and digital manual, I'm SOL? Isn't that a tad... weird? Would it be possible to "add" such things, perhaps for a few dollars more?
Scroll down to the add-ons section. Soundtrack is $8. Manuals are already part of the $45 tier.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man. I was so worried that this game would be hurt by Kickstarter fatigue or general wariness or... something, anything. Shine on, inXile.

NihilCredo posted:

With Annah, or with Ravel shapeshifted as Annah? I remember the latter but not the former.

Also, I think we should all call this game Tides of Numa Numa. It is a throwback to past glories, after all.
You don't remember Annah's overheating problem?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sackmo posted:

Of course one goal I would liked to have seen would be an orchestral soundtrack. Boy howdy do I love instrumentation in my video games.

$2 million, man:

quote:

At this Stretch Goal, Mark Morgan will write more music for Torment to complement the additional game areas and content we will be adding. Furthermore, he will incorporate a live orchestra into his work. Of course, all of this new music will be automatically including in the soundtrack (digital or CD) for backers who are receiving that reward. We will also provide the soundtrack reward in the lossless FLAC format for those who desire it.

EDIT: I suck.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bef posted:

Just hit 1.5 :toot:

e: installing P:T to see what all the fuss is about
Someone else briefly mentioned PST mods/fixes, but you should totally check out the GOG guide. It's pretty simple and painless, but that link is a nice single stop for download links and instructions.

EDIT: I should just stop posting in this thread. Jesus.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 7, 2013

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought George Ziets would be the best bit, but this part is just amazing:

quote:

Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote the Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )

But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years but his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.

Now apologize for Toughness, Monte!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
... and with that, we're half-way to PE's total. Good luck on the next two million, Brother None.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obsidian's. Since they're trying to maintain a good working relationship with publishers, we'll probably never know who.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
To further clarify, just in case: the "creature toughness" thing mentioned on that Numenera page is not what anyone is talking about, but rather, the D&D feat "Toughness" designed by Cook. Colin McComb joked about a Toughness apology on Twitter, so they're at least aware of it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked it. :shrug:

The time-lapse bit of him reading and the shot of him drinking should have been combined, though, with ever-more empty bottles appearing behind him as he read.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah, sorry, terrible game design with a smarmy non-apology just made me cancel my pledge.
I'm bad at the internet so could you please confirm if this is actually a serious post?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the highest stretch goal yet revealed only puts us at the same number of companions as the original...

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rope kid posted:

New Vegas was absolutely not written by one person. John Gonzalez wrote the main plot and many of the most central characters (Benny, Caesar, Mr. House, etc.), but the majority of characters were written by designers other than him. Of the major characters, he didn't write any of the companions and he didn't write most of the faction leaders like McNamara, Hardin, Pearl, Loyal, Marjorie, Papa Khan, Hsu, The King, etc.

I don't say that to diminish John's role -- in fact, I think he's often tragically overlooked as the architect of F:NV's story and author of its most central characters -- but the rest of the designers did an enormous amount of writing on the project.
And he did the Survivalist journals, too. I don't normally go for "scattered journal recordings all over the level", but god drat those were good. I don't know these authors coming up in the stretch goals, but Gonzalez? That'd get me hot and bothered.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No, though it had "I can't answer that," "I don't know," and "Nothing."

And, uh... Ravel. Ravel.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pyradox posted:

I thought the fact that your character projects their pain onto their companions was an pretty interesting mechanic to go with. I can see that making a pacifistic playthrough very appealing for people who get invested in them.
I guess they'll just have to... *endure*.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wonder how much getting a few soundbites out of Homer and Fry costs these days?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

They can't. I'm skeptical about this hitting 4 million.

You know Project Eternity brought in almost $900,000 in its last two days, right?

These things are super front- and back-loaded. The fact that per-backer contributions are so high already might mean a smaller final rush, but I can't see Torment not tying PE at the very least.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CottonWolf posted:

I don't even have analogies for these anymore.

Have we reached R'lyeh?

The bottom-most root-tentacle-squid has the best :3: face.

I really hope we get a high-resolution version of that image after the Kickstarter ends.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why hello again, Colin. Such a nice face you have. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoi1tvqzMaI

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man. I remember when the Torment PR was starting to ramp up and everyone knew that the Kickstarter was coming, I was so worried about Kickstarter fatigue and general wariness due to Wasteland 2 not being out and... Well. Good work, InXile.

Fintilgin posted:

What they OUGHT to do is let you customize your characters appearance (skin/hair color etc) and then base the appearance of the immortal god off what you picked. :colbert:

(I like customizing my dude)
On the other hand, Planescape Torment had a lot of "NPCs react to your appearance", which you don't see much - any? - of in games where you can customize your appearance. I mean, yeah, DA2 and Fallout 3 did the family appearance stuff, but that's about the extent of it. And I do really like customizing my dude and lady-dude when I play games, but there is a tradeoff.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

John McCain posted:

It's possible, especially if there are a limited number of outfits to play pretty-doll dressup with. For example, in Alpha Protocol, people will occasionally react to what you're wearing, especially if it's dramatically out-of-place for the setting (meet a Triad boss in a restaurant wearing stealth combat armor and he'll say something about it; wear tourist clothes and he'll say something else).
Alright, I guess Alpha Protocol did it a little bit. Though that particular example felt like total bullshit when I played it. Before and after that particular bit, the game would automatically put you in civilian clothes any time mission gear would be horribly out-of-place and unnecessary. As far as I know, that was the one and only time that didn't happen, and it was just so that that NPC could comment on it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aside from casting Friends on yourself, there's also a wizard in the private sensoriums that sells magical mints that give you the Friends effect, and Fell has a Friends-casting tattoo if you do a certain sidequest in the Wards.

Also, I always like to give my Nameless One a nice, beefy bit of constitution off the start. I know it's not optimal; I just like to get his regen going as fast as possible.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roobanguy posted:

I heard that it wasn't because they were worse, but just harder to use.

That's also pretty :psyduck:. The NWN2 companions didn't exactly have great AI, but you can't even really compare them to the original's henchmen, which you couldn't even manually control.

EDIT: Whelp, I just combined two similar but yet obviously distinct conversations into one somehow. Ignore me, everyone!

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 7, 2013

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GetWellGamers posted:

Even in some of my favorite TB games (FF Tactics, Fallout, etc.) there always comes a point where I know I'm going to win the fight and the rest is just cleanup, and I wish I could just click a button and have all my guys go "CHAERG :black101:" and mop the rest up quickly. That's what RTwP does for me, is after I've turn-based my way over the hill I just hit the "kill everything between you and here" button and get on with the game.
Some turn-based games do have a "charge" button, though?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm kinda in the "this vote was probably a bad idea" camp. Just riling people up at this point.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That, the trouble they had with getting around other characters during a fight, and Grace's insistence on wasting all of her heals unless I babysat her or turned the AI off entirely.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

I wonder if you can feed one of your companion to the Maw (or even yourself).
Echo:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

I will never understand the people who say that PS:T has bad combat, sure the game is about the story, and there aren't as many options available, but the combat is still really fun, and while somewhat simpler is still as good.
Plus the spells and weapons are very unique, you will never see them in another game. Anyone who hasn't experienced a 25 con fighter is missing out.
Also for those of us who do like the combat, I loved the fact that every time you went to the underhive, the monsters had respawned, allowing you to endless combat at the later stages of the game.

Don't get me wrong, the story is absolutely the best thing about PS:T, but unless you don't like combat in any of the IE games, then I really think you are missing a big part of this game, by avoiding it
The biggest problems I had with PST's combat were 1: characters getting caught up on each-other when you tried to direct them to attack nearby enemies, and 2: basically needing to turn the AI off once I got Grace.

PST didn't have good combat, but I think most of the problems with it are overstated. That said, a bit of time in the Modron cube could make anyone hate the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trust me, I appreciated not doing the rote casting of "remove protection from being punched in the face" any time I fought something that matte- no, God dammit Grace, stop casting your heal spells on the guy with regenerating health!

• Locked thread