Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Beast Morphers is going to be like 98%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
JDF always looks like he's hunched and it's bothering me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The difference between the first monster and the bug minions is, uh.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I'd listen to hyperforce if it were available in podcast form

That's exactly how I listened to it so, good news, I guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Oh what's the rss

I got it through an app but the one it picked up is https://rss.simplecast.com/podcasts/3962/rss.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They had shots from all over the series as evidenced by Powered Custom and Li-Oh being in there, but that doesn't mean they'll just start with them. Beet and Stag were briefly in one of the fight shots (at about 1:04) so they'll probably show up. Also Great Go-Buster is in there which means their zords are in. I don't know why you'd think they'd skip those two considering they're in most of the series anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Remember post-Gavan Gobusters where they just forgot the hatches were a thing and got a black car to carry Yoko and Ryuji around in?

But yeah the trailer just looks like a Gobusters coolest morphed scenes supercut regardless of context, which makes sense if you don't actually have a lot of your own footage but want to hype up the toys and explosions (same reason all the robots are massively highlighted but Beet and Stag are basically there by accident, characters are probably more worth saving for a big reveal).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does SPD do the Dekaranger thing where they basically have all the monsters "fairly" judged and sentenced to execution?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nodosaur posted:

Isn't "epic" basically Brody's catchphrase?

It's not that far off from Takaharu's, if you think about it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hesitate to wonder which subs.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So... why/how did the Ohrangers get big, then?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In retrospect it's obvious that the Megazord manual is a Carranger gag because it seems super weird and out of place.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the fact that they took what was largely a more comedic season and tried to make something somewhat serious out of it. Fortunately after the cast change they started embracing the goofy nature of the Sentai a little more and things improved a bit.

Now granted, Carranger is one of my favorite Sentai shows (which is ironic seeing as Turbo was about the point I initially started losing interest in PR as a kid) but yeah, I agree the two sets of material don't really mesh that well together (initially at least).

Also the Red Ranger's exaggerated poses which weren't as much of a thing before.

It reminds me of Dino Charge. I know it's well-regarded as an adaptation but when I saw Red morphed all I could think was that all that hyperactive jumping and dancing was definitely a different character from Tyler unmorphed.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The line between loving sendup and scathing parody is thin and shifts with time.

I don't see how any of the ways Carranger "mocks some of the tropes of the genre while at the same time embracing them openly" disqualifies it as a parody. That's kind of what parody is. Airplane! was pretty much the script of the thing it was based on with gags added, and absolutely nobody would say it's not a parody.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why didn't they just...call the Zords? Is there any justification in Carranger as to why they aren't just using the giant monster-wrecking machine against the giant monster?

It doesn't exist yet. This incident prompts them to create it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like checking out what the monster did in Carranger and apparently this one

quote:

he wiled a magic number stuff. with let him appears to play havoc with his staff to manipulate numbers like those in transfer check amounts and the price of items in stores. now on its face that sounds pretty lame compared to some of the other space gang members. but the ability to completty undo earths monetary and number systems is actually very dangerous. his plan was to throw the numbers of earth into disorder. and with humans society in a panic the Bowzock could hijack earth. leater crotch gave him a powerup backpack and the ability to use Number Bombs.

Friends don't let friends drunk-edit Wikia.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Where was the Masked Rider content for moms?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Didn't the management actually tell the Beast Machines writer not to watch Beast Wars?

And really, Cheetor stepping up to take charge when no one else could is about the only character bit in Beast Machines that remotely makes sense, even if accidentally - all of Beast Wars is him growing up and learning about responsibility. However, it didn't need to happen by turning pragmatist and scientist Primal into a crazed hermit.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 13, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Are the Beast Morphers getting entirely new weapons? The Go-Busters all used standard-issue swords and blasters, because their individual things were powers instead of weapons. Maybe they are just taking the suits and shooting most of a new show.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I feel like after such a season they go back to basics and a three ranger core team, for budget reasons if not anything else.

After Go-Busters was weird and didn't do well they put out Kyoryuger, which had ten rangers and 50 screaming collectible doohickeys. If anything Gobus was about as basic three-ranger as you can get and it tanked.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
But what if the villain was video games and Blue spent the entire series calling Red "intern"?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The most impressive part of this gag is the implication that Nico ever did anything, let alone anything sixth-ranger cool.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
LizWiz, did you cut anything out for the gag or is the explanation in the episode actually "Cassie knows karate because she's Asian"?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to be honest, I spent the entire episode thinking that at least for TJ, Tommy being hurt was for him to be like "hey, guy, you seem brave and you know karate, take this morpher and fight off those monsters" and not for it to just all be in at the end.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Now that the lizard's out of the bag, I've gotta say:

quote:

Lizwizard could wrap his long tongue around someone and switch places with them. He did so with Cassie and got her injured when Carlos meant to hit Lizwizard.

quote:

This Nezire was used by Shibolena to project her image across the internet with the digital camera on his shoulder, which in the process would take control of people and have them undergo "Nezirian Teaching" to make them into blood-thirsty sadists.

I do not envy the people who had to adapt old toku to be American kid-friendly.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, yeah, but my point was that that was the same monster.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This is the one Turbo episode I actually remember from being a little kid. I'm not sure why.

Not well enough to have remembered how weird that "two monsters in one day" line was when the episode clearly spans two separate days, though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Paul Schrier is very good as Hyperforce Yellow, though, even though he's a very different character from Bulk.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Craptacular! posted:

If Sentai wants to make a story about family, they make the whole team a family. Power Rangers won’t do this because, at the risk of sounding like a dickbag, the diversity tokenism of the early seasons has paid off today with one of the more diverse fandoms in superhero media. Power Rangers will never have it’s own Wakanda, but everything I’ve heard from comic store workers is that the Boom comic sells more to minorities than most single Big Two properties do.

So we’re never going to have an Incredibles Family season like GoGo-V or Magiranger. The closest we’ve gotten is siblings.

Well, the Go-Busters were basically a family and they weren't related at all. They didn't have exactly the same diversity concerns but the show did a lot with how they all had different backgrounds and upbringings informing their Ranger status (part of which was their huge age gaps).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It feels very '90s Hasbro somehow? Like if you played a Transformers theme on 3x speed.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's like a Kyoryuger/Dino Charge situation where two of the other zords attach to the tyrannosaur, I think?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's residual Pink Ranger energy from the time Kat was a cat.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let Justin have ant powers, you cowards. Adapt the morpher to him, not the other way around! It'll be super useful in the battles ahead!

Plus of all the animals we have, I'm pretty sure we've never had an Ant Ranger.

Bug morphs are for Masked Rider. :colbert:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You have the wrong link there, LizWiz.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It was pretty hilarious, he was fighting a giant monster and knocked it out of the way and there was a giant billboard for dogfood

This is Gobus footage except in Gobus it was an ad for chicken.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hiromu's is also the only one that has a mental component instead of just being a physical limitation, but all three of them still got a bit or two about leaning on their team to make up for their own weakness (and so did Jin, I would say).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

As an aside, it was super cool to me that Ryuji was my own age when Go-Busters aired. I guess he's still technically my age, but still. A sentai hero who was not only not 18, but pushing 30? That was pretty great; it often feels like the franchise is okay with young adults and middle-aged folk being rangers, but ignores regular adults entirely.

And also Jin pushing 50 while also still being 27 :allears:

A lot of what makes Gobus special is wrapped up in the age and training differences! Yoko got her powers when she was an actual baby (4, I think?) so she's never not been training to be a Go-Buster, so she resents Hiromu for what from her perspective looks like walking in off the street and taking the best Zord. Hiromu, who was kept away from the Ranger program and has been working his rear end off to keep up, has a huge chip on his shoulder about being treated like the newbie.

Ryuji being the adult has a lot of layers. The incident happened when he was a teen, so he's the opposite of Yoko in that he already had a life plan that is totally derailed by becoming a Ranger. Despite that, he wants to protect the kids, but he's at a disadvantage from starting his training "late," and on top of that his weakness puts them in danger, which is an especial soft spot for Yoko since she essentially grew up with him. And instead of dealing with any of that anxiety he tries to act as cool and professional as possible and hides his weaknesses so he can look like he always knows what he's doing.

This ties directly into the weak points. Hiromu's and Yoko's are both in different ways about having limits and accepting help - Yoko particularly is about trusting Usada, her caretaker. Ryuji's is about repressing his real goals and feelings until they "explode."

And Jin is like Ryuji squared - he wants to be a mentor to Ryuji and a dad to Yoko but he acts glib so he won't disappoint them. Even his "weak point" is essentially having extra lives which enables his super unhealthy martyr complex.

Beast Morphers is definitely good so far but a little piece of me is always going to be disappointed that they threw all that out and went with a pack of teens. I empathize a lot with Ryuji and Jin.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh yeah I forgot about Jin trying to reconnect with the kids he knows after like 10 years stuck in Computer Hell. Gobus is good! It's actually a good Sentai ensemble team! Even though Red's got the far and away best robot already! How did this happen!

I dunno, I think it works better that he's chasing the shadow of Yoko's mom in her because he had a crush on her than actually being Yoko's dad. It fits his awkward won't-admit-he-loves-you shtick.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Did Alpha say "poo poo"? I think he's talking backwards and I heard him say "tish" when the ship got hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"Ahh, back on Earth at l- hey, TJ, where are you going? We have to go through decontamination!"
"No time for that now, I have to buy a whole new wardrobe!"