Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just Viking blood, that's how we roll. Charlie Hunham is from Newcastle.... old viking blood on the Tyne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
pretty sure they relished in it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah mine too... least i'm not christian.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wrote a couple of posts on another forum regarding this show and the history of the tribes that divided mainland europe and Briton if anyone is interested in reading them. i wont post if not because its rather long.

But i'd appreciate any corrections if anyone is historically inclined.

I'm pictish-scottish and english-viking heritige and it interests the poo poo out of me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the character of Rollo is based on Rollo Duke of Normandy, great great great grandfather of William The Concqueror King of England. Vikings won in the end.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 20, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh yeah i know is just based on him, what he looked like and his name. No lineage. i doubt they would fudge the timeline, they've gone to a lot of effort to keep it true thus far

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah he would have been in his 70's when he died. but it's not a stretch, it works out...technically. there is no mention of how old he was when he died.

grey area.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'd be interested in this if you don't mind.

ok, this is in reply to some guys arguing about the saxons not being prepared for a shield wall.

" as i said in the Spartacus thread, but its more suited here

Well not all english 'soldiers' were trained or even equipped, often going in to battle with nothing more than a helmet and a crappy sword or axe. It was usually a numbers thing with farmers grabbed from local villages and forced to fight. The vikings had been trading and raiding into the germanic counties for many many years, hardened warriors who adapted very well. Sheilds were used by the danes who were vikings as far back as 350bc. i'm sure in a thousand years before they went west, they learned a thing or two. Also at the height of the roman empire where they bordered the lands to the north, it is speculated that the danes served in the roman army

And the Romans took of the shield wall idea from the Greeks and the Persians.

The saxons really hadnt had much to do for a couple hundred years, it was the middle saxon era, most of the militias were basically just used to keep the peace, the celts were long gone in the umbrias and the country was divided into kingdoms in a fairly peaceful manner.

It was another near 200 years before they had any real conflict with the Normans, who were vikings anyway and handed part of france by the french who said "ixnay with the killings yo, this bits for you, farm, trade...we'll be pals." "

"The other thing to remember is the tribes that took over Europe around the time of the fall of the empire The Visigoths, Huns, Vandals did all the hard work in defeating the Romans and sacking Rome.

By the time they had swept across to Hispania and back. They were the last Germanic forces to have any real battle experience with the Romans.

meanwhile in Briton the Romans had fled, the country was back in the hands of the Celts who hadn't really had much to do with the Romans in charge. The Scoti and the Picts and so forth had their eyes on the prize there.

The Franks, Saxons, Jutes and Angles had established there own part of the northern European coast. Eventually the Franks pushed back against the southern tribes to gain ground in modern day france, the Saxons, Angles and some of the jutes went to settle Briton apparently with the blessing of the Celts to help them fight the Pitcs and Scoti.
Instead they just took over pushed the Britons west into the sea and set up shop. They brought with them a love of polytheism, gods, dragons, elves, trolls and so forth

Meanwhile the tribes down south christianised, the Saxons followed suit eventually. A wave of technology spread as what the Romans left over was put to use.

All the while the Danes from the north had established a nice base in Jutland(now Denmark) Sweden and bits of Norway, found Thor and pillaging to their liking... now we have Vikings vs the Anglo-Saxons...and then the Frogs.

If i tried to date any of that i'd by here all night. roughly 250-300 years from whoa to go.

Long story short... the saxons didn't really have a great deal of Roman instruction in warfare. But the certainly had the technology.

This is a very good map to show where the tribes stood around 395ad

http://www.romanscotland.org.uk/pages/infrastructure/maps/RE395adL.jpg "

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vikings or Danes came from Sweden, Norway and probably Finland, eventually down into what is now Denmark, then Juteland, Occupided by the Jutes.

Germany was covered by the franks, Saxons, Angles, Thuringians, Burgundians, Lombards and Vandals. Some true barbarian tribes and some not so barbarian

these pages are worth a read if your interested, it shows the Migration of the various tribes of Europe and Eurasia, you can the eventual break up and settling of tribes to make up the national identity of the areas in eastern europe, and probably why such fierce rivalry exists today, it goes back to before the fall of the western roman empire.

Riveting stuff actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_migration#Migrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 25, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conquistador posted:

Is there a set day that they release these on the site? I literally have no idea when this show actually airs, but I kind of enjoy the mystery.

just turns up whenever it feels like, and fucks up your plans... Kinda like the Vikings.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Angles had North england, the saxons has southern england (hence Anglo-Saxon) like 300 years before the show is set, over that time they had become a group of kingdoms the Tribe element didn't last very long as the all merged and fought over territory, the got Kings, and nobility and Religion.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conquistador posted:

One reason I like this show is that I ended up reading tangentially related stuff in history because of it. Wikipedia is dangerous for that poo poo man, I started off reading about that island they invaded and I forget where I ended up but I think I treked over to the Ottoman Empire...

Yeah I'm just on the Ostrogoths and reading towards the fall of the western empire. My woman is learning it because i'm telling her and i'm wrecking her head.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canuckanese posted:

As other people have said, the Angles and the Saxons took control of England (Angle-land) hundreds of years before the show is set. Saxons at the time came from the Northwestern Coast of Germany, and the Angles were from the Baltic. They had a similar culture to the Danes but were not vikings. The "English" in the show would consider themselves Saxons because 1) they were probably at least part Saxon still, 2) the Saxons had been in control of England for 350 years and continued to call themselves and their subjects Saxons. At that point they weren't much like their ancestors anymore though, kind of like how you probably aren't very similar to your ancestors from 350 years ago.

The whole idea of the story is that Ragnar is the first Scandinavian to go west.

except the timeline is out and he didn't go west until way after the first landing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rus/Normans?

The Normans were Danish Viking raiders who settled in northern france and were given land to stop the fighting. Eventually mutating with the frogs and becoming Normans,

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ahh yeah my bad, i missed that reference.

Some big brains in here, The other TV forum i'm a member of and discussing this is full of dunderheads.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 25, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thats a dead ringer for my ancestors... so im told.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
720p ftw.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:eng101: Yay Learning!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a research nut. borderline sperg i dare say, i can't watch something that interests me and not research it. Sometimes for weeks.

My woman calls me a retard for not going to university with her, but building pays the bills.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Family Values posted:

Serendipitously I had just finished the Hardcore History podcast episode Thor's Angels right before discovering this show. The show is good, the podcast is awesome, I highly recommend it if you want to get some more Migration Period history (focusing more on continental events, however).

i just finsihed the Thors Angels podcast, loving amazing. The guy obviously love this poo poo.

How do you get the to the earlier podcasts?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canuckanese posted:

Me too. Every time I look at him all I can think is "Viking Zach Galiafinakis"

He looks like Trick from Lost girl... with a beard.

AvesPKS posted:

Anyone else see Hawkeye when Ragnar was running through the woods and stalking the deer?

I like his Viking confidence, hunting deer with one arrow.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is better than 90% of crap on TV and i don't pay to watch it, so it any minor faults it has i can and do overlook. Life's too short for nitpicking

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

saganite posted:

Katheryn Winnick on the late late show. Goddamn, she is stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8GiEfRO6pU

when she busted out that Ukrainian i nearly got wood.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floki needs his own show... Floki, Gannicus and The Hound ... just roaming the world loving poo poo up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah they throw down in the drama/action department.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gustaf Skarsgård could play the Joker if by some retcon magic if he's alive in the inevitable Batman reboot. He would crush it

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually thinking about the way he moves and how lanky he is, he'd be a great Riddler

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The saxons were god's chosen people who live a peaceful violence free existence, riding around on unicorns. :rolleyes:

Saxons... natures quitters.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Affi posted:

I also climb mountains when I go to Uppsala from Denmark.

my location spidey sense is tingling... Horik asks him to travel to Juteland as is emissary which has me thinking Ragnar isn't based in Juteland (denmark) but probably the part of denmark proper that borders Swedens south

It can be a bit confusing because the Danes and the Swedes were both from Sweden, the countries didnt have the names they have now, nor the borders.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 23, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
he pronounced it "Yuteland"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
repeatedly?

Who isn't into threesomes?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Family Values posted:

Lagertha was supposedly from Norway, and Ragnar is supposed to have fallen for her after being sent to Norway to defend it from a Swedish invasion. So my bet is southeast Norway. If its Danish territory and their allegiance is to the Danish king, it's not weird that they consider themselves Danes.

it's all rather vague, Danish territory in the 12 century was almost connected with Norways, whos to say who held what near 800AD that south east area of Norway must have been a hotspot for disputes, not much of Norway is inhabitable along the coast.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
why... all i got was, they sacrificed a human when a man of great importance died, and every nine years at Uppsala

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
people want to see trees and waterfalls and somewhere special looking. Not a mile after mile of the flattest place in the world.

It looked gorgeous and it made me want to be a Viking.... sold me.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fader Movitz posted:

Yeah I get that it's more about cool settings than the actual historical place. Just annoyed me since a live 15 minutes away from the temple site, the old kings burialmounds and runestones. I had kind of hoped that they would take the real place and make it like it was during the viking age.

take some photos for us goons? I drove past it once in a truck with my da, but i didnt know it was there till years later when he told me...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dagnabbit DON'T watch the comicon trailer for season 2, it's a loving huge spoiler. Just watched it thinking it was a short lead in to an interview.

fucks sake.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The saxons had access to more workable mines and had a higher more organised output of metallurgy in general throughout Christian Europe probably more access to higher quality iron/steel ingots from all over the place. but the Norse had a very capable handle on pattern welding for swords and tools. Their smiths were exceptional, just lacked the infrastructure. So they made do with easy the easy and cheap to produce.

But the swords they did make was the same style of being used all through europe. Because they tended to be at sea a fair bit the early carbon steel weapons wouldn't have lasted too long around salt water. What they did to make swords was very complex and time consuming. There wasn't much the Vikings didn't do well. But being clannish and more often than not, spread out doing their own thing. Having access to good steel and good smiths on hand would have been an issue at the very least.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
watching it now, it's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM

It's esentially the same process as what they called Crucible Steel, attributed to the indian sub continent where the technique used in Damascus steel came from. It's basically a method of turning iron ore into high carbon steel suing insanely hot furnaces with dry wood. They call it Wootz Steel

I've read in a few places that the Wootz steel production goes back into almost pre roman times, the iron ore in India was freakishly good due to other compounds found there like vanadium and chromium, the techniques made there way from india, through eastern Europe, up into Russia as thing like that are like to do with Nomadic cultures. But to think they did this poo poo Pre-jeebus, is insane.

like i said techniques travel, iron ore unless mined and transported, doesn't. Many of the Viking swords were pattern welded by mixing iron rods and carbon steel rods heating and twisting them, forging, eventually they end up so mixed and fused on a microscopic level is creates the weird patterns you often see on the Japanese blades. that being the middle of the blade, to gave it a springyness to prevent breakage, then they welded on high carbon steel for the cutting edges because it was harder wearing and didnt blunt as easy.

I'm not a weapon nut, i just love history.

edit: i'm 20 mins in and they are covering all this anyway, so disregard my ramblings.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 26, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ithle01 posted:

The moment Ragnar becomes unpopular with his men is the moment he stops being Jarl. There really isn't much he can do to stop them. Remember, Ragnar became Jarl by killing the previous Jarl and being popular enough that people were more or less okay with that.

Their system worked, our system... not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the gently caress has Bjorn been eating these last few years? His old dear needed to marry rich, just to keep up his supply of babay goat burgers.

Seriously, growth spurt much

• Locked thread