Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the original VGHS, it was basically a Cartoon Network Original Movie only with enough blood and swears to ensure it could never actually be shown on TV.

I still have no idea who the target audience is or how they're supposed to monetize it outside of being Freddy Wong's demo reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The guys who kickstarted Tropes vs Men in Videogames has taken the money and run. :irony:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SaltyJesus posted:

A small break from awfulness.

InXile just launched their second Kickstarter. It is for a spiritual sequel of Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera. A lot of the people working on it are from the same team that worked on the original, which if you are familiar with old-school RPG games, is frequently cited at the very top of "Best Games Ever" lists. (After all, this is a game where one of the endings was that you could successfully will yourself out of existence.)

They also seem to be building really well on the success of previous KS projects, and this is something I think other people/companies who already successfully kickstarted something to the satisfaction of their backers can learn from. For one, the setting of Numenera is based on a 2500% successful kickstarter for a new roleplaying book by Monte Cook. This means the project draws on two pools of backers right from the outset, nostalgia-RPG crowd and the 4,658 people who backed the Numenera book.

The second is that they have an amazing award tier for $45 for which you get both a digital copy of Torment itself and Wasteland 2. I think this is a very smart move as they will be raking in a lot more funding for basically zero additional work. Wasteland 2 has already been funded and will be made anyway; this will draw in everybody who loves a good deal as well as all the people who feel they missed out by not funding Wasteland 2.

E: Also holy poo poo, soundtrack by Mark Morgan!

I really wish that they had waited under after Wasteland was released, asking for people to kickstart not one but two IneXile games sight-unseen is pretty ballsy. Especially since their last big game was the utterly forgettable Hunted: The Demon's Forge and you have to go back 2004's The Bard's Tale to find a game by them that wasn't a casual portable game.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Mar 6, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

This one belongs here because it's loving ridiculous that millionaire space tourist Richard Garriot is asking us to pay for his next game despite being loaded and easily able to contribute the entire sum himself. And even if he has spunked all his cash on castles and luxurious robes, he's still one of the most recognisable names in the industry and should have no difficulty finding a publisher or someone to stump up some real money. But then unlike us plebs those arseholes always want stupid things like a "return on their investment" while we're just happy having an artist spend two seconds putting our names on a virtual gravestone.

Also it's been two decades since he made anything good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
People pitched a fit because Dante in the Devil May Cry remake had hair that was like the developer's, so in this day and age having Garriot's self-insert in the game is going to cause riots.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dieting Hippo posted:

I watched it all, one part that stood out to me was Princess Peach has never been in a game as a protagonist. Except that game on the DS where she was, but we don't count that because ________.

They did mention it as an aside that it would be touched upon in the next part.

Also, the DS game is hilariously sexist because Peach's "superpower" is being an over-emotional female.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MjolnirMan posted:

Wait, though - so it's bad that you play her in a big bulky suit because it defeminizes her and she might as well be a centipede, but in Zero Mission and Smash Bros., where you play her without said suit (and not in a "reward" capacity but as a player character with powerful skills, weapons, abilities, etc.), she's a "gently caress toy" because she's wearing something less revealing than people wear jogging?

It seems like no matter what way Nintendo were to go, it will piss one of you off for being sexist. Is Ripley defeminized when in the bulky yellow power loader, but oversexualized when she's running around with giant machine guns in a tank top?

Welp, you got us! Turns out sexism is over, wrap it up everybody.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

Pointing out contradictory opinions means you hate feminism! Everyone's out to get me!

Exactly what use is there in ragging on poo poo for half an hour without providing any sort of alternatives or means to fix a problem anyway? You're just preaching to the goddamn choir.

They're not contradictory at all unless you think that they're mutually-exclusive. Having a "strong" female character who is strong because she is effectively genderless and having a "strong" female character whose entire appearance (and, in Brawl's case, weaponry :whip:) is over-sexualized and is still subservient to men and emotionally fragile (M:OM) are both problematic in their own way.

And criticism for the sake of critical thought is totally a thing, dude. Most film critics don't tell you how the movie ought to have been, but they can give you insight into the film that you might not have noticed yourself.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Mar 12, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just think it's funny that even CliffyB, one of the most dudebro game devs out there (Gears of War didn't even have a playable female character until the third game and even then it was just because all the lady gamers were complaining about it) thinks that it's way overdue and that the people who are attacking her are immature.

"One man’s 'scammed' is another’s 'shut up and take my money'" is like the perfect encapsulation of how dumb the "this doesn't look like it cost $160,000 to make, scam much? :jerkbag:" argument is.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

illiniguy01 posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of the awful kickstarter thread? I can't seem to find it.

So spending a month methodically harassing a mentally retarded man for trying to create a bad game was acceptable, but talking about the fruits of one of the higher-profile Kickstarter successes is off-topic? Holy yoloswag :wtc:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you Kickstarter, now we can make sequels, remakes, and spinoffs without those mean old studios getting in the way :jerkbag:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

There's actually very few outlets for kids to learn how to run a business these days. There are laws that prohibit the operation of lemonade stands, the least of which requires a permit to run as well as following food service and health ordinances and the like. There's been cases where the cops have come out and shut down some kid's operation that hasn't made $5 then fined the parents $500. "Stranger danger" and people's intolerance for door-to-door sales has pretty much killed those school-sponsored chocolate sales and the internet has hurt sponsored magazine and newspaper sales. There's always Girl Scouts, but even there, you're better off leveraging with the group and sit out front of a Walmart than going it alone and deal from your own sidewalk.

First off, bullshit. All the schools I work for constantly have fundraisers going, from small things like candy bars and Krispy Kreme donuts to those catalogues full of overpriced novelties. And lemonade stands being shut down by the police is just a few isolated incidents that got huge national coverage because they could be twisted into some parable about how :bahgawd:BIG GUBMINT:bahgawd: is just so mean and stupid. I see kids running them all the time in the suburbs.

Secondly, none of that teaches you about running a business. They teach you how people will make you work long hours and exploit your relationships with your family and friends in exchange for some cheap plastic trinket while a big business makes all the actual money. All while the adults who are supposed to educate and protect you enable it as some sort of learning experience. Basically, this Onion article.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

We interrupt this thread for good Kickstarter news.

The Kickstarter that made Kickstarter the talk of the town, Double Fine Adventure, now have a name and some basic info about it. It's now known as Broken Age.

I remember Riley getting mad that Double Fine had been a success while her game bombed and citing it as a blow to social justice. Now Double-Fine just made one of the co-stars of one of the most anticipated games of the year be a woman of color. :golfclap:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DeepDickPizza posted:

Luckily, I believe that is the same RPG Maker camp. Unfortunately, according to this comment from a counselor that someone posted to that Kickstarter from the IGN boards, it seems like that camp is pretty much a worthless scam, as well. There's just layer upon layer of scamming going on here.

I don't see how this is any more a scam than a camp where kids play soccer all day or make crafts.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Drakkel posted:

I think the forming consensus at this point is that the money really didn't matter, it was all just a bid to drum up some PR for her own crowd-funding site and profiting on gender issues was just a nice bonus.

As of right now the project is still going, but with the flood of reports it's been getting from NeoGAF and Reddit and 4chan users all weekend it seems likely it'll be taken down. If not we might as well call Kickstarter done right here and now for the precedents it'd set.

Kickstarter cancelling a project because one of the people involved had "too much money" would be pure poison to their brand image considering that two of their most successful kickstarts were from a critically- and financially-successful game development studio and a movie being produced by Warner Bros.

miguelito posted:

Another precedent would be the Penny Arcade kickstarter - "Give us LOTS of money for removing one banner ad", and also a slew of "ironic" rewards.
One might argue this is not a clearly defined project, with a tangible product coming out at the other end.

But given that KS let that one through because it made wagonloads of cash, I'm honestly doubtful their reputation is worth enough to them to cancel lil' Mackenzie's camp adventure.

Oh man, that was great. They were so full of themselves that they made stretch goals reaching into the millions and didn't come close to making most of them :laffo:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to know what kinds of families Goons grew up in where brothers and sisters bickering and teasing each other (while still helping each other out in the end, however begrudgingly) is an outrageous sign of weakness and the measure of a parent is how much of a death-grip they have on their childrens' behavior. Like, even the most :spergin: shut-in only child can't be that disillusioned about how families are, right?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

:psypop: Kickstarter Confirms they won't be pulling the project:

Source is this lovely, lovely CNET article

Good. This product is a lovely scam but Kickstarter acting as some sort of arbiter of taste and worthiness will do nothing but hurt the crowdfunding model and drive people to less scrupulous sites.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

I feel like this is becoming a shitshow deserving of its own thread, now.

Please do this, I miss the Awful Kickstarters thread.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Remember Bart The General? It's back ,in POG Kickstarter form!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Cosplay culture exists in this weird limbo where there's a lot of money trading hands to make, model, and photograph other people's IP but the IP holders let it slide because it's free advertising and it's not worth the money and the blow to PR to try and pursue legal action. You have people spending a considerable amount of time and money making lovely no-budget comic book fan films and while Marvel and DC might not let them screen them at conventions they don't have them taken down or C&D them nearly as often as you'd expect. To say nothing of the grey-area that is commissioned fan art and selling replica props of other peoples' copyrighted IP like Finn's hat from Adventure Time or the Master Sword or whatever.

As someone who generally thinks that copyright law could loosen up a bit I kind of like it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Autechresaint posted:

How is it understandable? Why should anyone feel entitled to get other people to pay for their reassignment surgery through deception? If you feel strongly about wanting to get this surgery done, either raise the money yourself through honest means by saving up or talk to trangender advocacy group to see if there are options to raise money. There are a lot of people in the video game/entertainment industry who have gone through gender reassignment, surely she could have struck up a conversation with one of them.

You do know that the suicide rate for transgendered people who can't get SRS is obscenely high, right? Lying and scamming people is a lovely thing to do but it's not unlikely that it was literally a matter of life and death to her.

It's entirely possible to empathize with someone without endorsing their actions.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Noyemi K posted:

In less depressing and triggering news, there's a brilliant chap trying to make bank off some film adaptations of Edgar Allen Poe works. Not a single dime has been pledged.

Haha, this guy registered here to shill and got banned.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sigma-X posted:

It very literally is not DLC, and never was DLC, and I say this as a former Volition dev.

e: Enter the Dominatrix, as a product, however, was a terrible idea, despite not being DLC. I'm looking forward to the game it has become.

Most people consider modern standalone expansions to fall under the umbrella of DLC regardless of the semantics involved.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Dunning-Kruger effect in action. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. A smart man would stop and think "maybe this has been done before?" but no! This man is a crazy genius and he needs our help to stop BIG SCIENCE from shutting him down with his genius ideas that nobody's ever had before, such as using heat to generate lift, or "gravitational wind" :rolleyes:

I would pledge money to a Kickstarter for a device that stopped anybody on the internet from ever citing Dunning-Kruger ever again. It's officially eclipsed "uncanny valley = I don't like how it looks" and "sociopath = a person who acts in a way I find unpleasant" in terms of things that have lost all their original meaning through over-use.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Because as opposed to donating to an actual charity, or to the local police department who can actually use the money in a better way (or at least I hope so), or to the hospitals where 60-70 more people are being treated, people are focusing all their "charity" on a first-come-first-serve basis. The dude obviously needs money, but he doesn't need it any more than everyone else who does. Disproportionately donating money simply because someone is tech-savvy is lazy donating.

You can keep following this train of thought until donating to anything other than the Stop Bad Things Everywhere For Everyone Fund is :bang:-worthy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
When hateful evangelical propaganda meets trying-too-hard ironic bad film makers, we all lose.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Crain posted:

Are we sure it's not just satire?

lovely satire is still poo poo. And making a bad movie on purpose doesn't magically make it into a good movie.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Madcosby posted:

Don't forget his other unsuccessful kickstarter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/206259503/beaver-tst-shirts-incorporating-beavers-with-fun-s?ref=users

Some ideas of what I want to produce:

1. Beaver Lickin Good (Beaver licking a plate)
2. Stinky Beaver (Beaver with stink)
3. Hittin Beaver (Beaver hitting a baseball)
4. Pierced Beaver (Beaver with piercings)
5. Licking Beaver (Beaver licking a window or something)
6. Eatin Beaver (Beaver eating)
7. Big Balls Beaver (Beaver with big balls)
8. Petting Beaver (Beaver Petting a Beaver)

His website (which he handily lists on his profile) is where the real comedy gold is at.

Nothing screams "designer I'd like to hire" quite like a guy who can't even pick a font that doesn't make his surname look like "gently caress"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DeepDickPizza posted:

I guarantee she's his ex-wife because she wouldn't quit nagging him to get a real job instead of making loving beaver shirts, homemade candles and terrible web design.

His resume shows that he's been working as an auto mechanic up until very recently. Having worked in a similar field I've met a few people like Flick and they're always depressing; spending their day jobs gushing about pie-in-the-sky business ideas that will turn them into entrepreneurial supermen when it's really obvious that don't have the skill, intelligence, or clout to actually do it. They're like the blue collar equivalent of that guy in community college art class who wants to be a full-time manga-ka but don't know basic anatomy or perspective because it's "their style".

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You can now count Shadowrun Returns as yet another KS that had to renege on their original pitch. They promised to make their game DRM free but part of the stipulation of getting the license from Microsoft was that they had to include DRM on the final retail product...and they only just this month started telling people. As a result they're using Steam and, while they're offering a special DRM-free version to backers, the only way you can get the DLC that they promised is by using the Steam version. Also there's no loot system and it uses checkpoints instead of manual saves.

These next few months are going to be interesting as the first-generation of big post-DoubleFine game Kickstarters start getting released.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Apr 27, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

senrath posted:

Uh, that's not right. The DRM free version available to backers includes the DLC funded via the Kickstarter. You just need to use the Steam version if you want any of the later DLC.

Well that's good! I loved the old SNES RPG and a turned-based game in the same universe sounds like it could be good, so I want it to succeed.

AlternateAccount posted:

Most of the backers, including me, do not care. Only mega-spergs who literally cannot manage to deal with the concept of installing Steam give anything remotely resembling a poo poo about this. I'd say that's a pretty small but highly vocal minority.

It sucks to not get access to the community content or later DLC, but oh well.

It's more the spirit of the thing. The fact that they made their pitch without even having the basic licensing issues ironed-out and raised almost two million dollars on promises they couldn't keep, especially.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

It's not really interesting, the more strange things you wrap around packages arriving from foreign lands, the more closely inspected they're going to be and the more likely it is to mess up their arrival.

One thing they say is "An unsettling find – remember, mail-tampering is a federal offense." - USPS employees are fully allowed to "tamper" with mail, especially packages, especially packages that have been sent from overseas. First class letter mail is generally sealed against everything, but goods shipped from overseas are liable to inspection pretty much at will.

These are people so passive-aggressive that they have to make a statement with their footprints, what did you expect?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of killing me what a poor control group they used, especially for people who are pretty much building their entire personality around being all "Logic, bitch :smug:". Like somebody else pointed out, having decorations and labels on the outside of packages makes them way more likely to be intercepted regardless of what the decorations are or say. A better control would have been one with identical decorations only instead of ATHEIST they said something secular like SHOES.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

That's why they completely bypassed Kickstarter and Indiegogo and made the crowdfunding campaign on their own site, because they want to interact with you the gamer directly.

I wouldn't be against this in principle; over $100,000 being sucked out of your funds in Kickstarter fees is nothing to sneeze at, and as a donor that's money that could be spent towards whatever it is I'm pledging to. In practice, however, the only people who do it are shady as gently caress ("Black Isle" wanting you to pay them to make a tech demo, for instance).

I found this one through Snopes: Pay us to make some bullshit urban myth that you'll be getting e-mail forwards about for years to come!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The thread is Games is totally worth a read and is only a few pages.

The short of it is that that trailer was made when Silicon Knights was still around and it took them years to make it, now there's only 9 people in Dyack's new company and a third of them are executives. Also their Terms of Use say that they get to keep the money no matter what, they have no obligation to make the game, and you can't sue them.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 23:52 on May 7, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StevenM posted:

An empty threat of violence made by an impotent neckbeard is far worse than selling your own children up the river to scam people out of money?

Casual, "ironic" threats of violence towards women for just about every perceived slight, usually backed up with a sarcastic remark about how getting assaulted for being unpleasant is "equal rights", is a symptom of a societal illness. She's just one person doing a shady Kickstarter.

Ulillillia's sister tried to make a Kickstarter in her brother's name to get rent money/promote her psychic readings. It has since been cancelled but you can find the original pitch (and other posts by his sister pimping it) on the web if you poke around.

quote:

Pledge $1 or more

0 backers

Pledge $1 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a video shout-out!

Estimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $10 or more

0 backers

Pledge $10 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free 9-Card Tarot Reading from his psychic sister, Serenity Blue ($30.00 Value), as well as a shout-out in the game credits.

Pledge $20 or more

0 backers Limited (200 of 200 left)

Pledge $20 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters" poster! Please note: a $7 fee for shipping outside the US is required

Add $7 to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or more

Pledge $20 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "Platform Masters" poster! Please note: a $7 fee for shipping outside the US is required

Pledge $30 or more

Pledge $30 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed copy of Ulillillia's book, "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters". Please note: a $7 fee for shipping outside the US is required

Pledge $50 or more

0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)

Pledge $50 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "Platform Masters" poster AND a copy of the Platform Masters video game (when it becomes available)! Please note: a $10 fee for shipping outside the US is required. The poster will be sent before the game's release.

Estimated delivery: Dec 2016
Add $10 to ship outside the US
Pledge $80 or more

0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)

Pledge $50 to help Ulillillia in creating Platform Masters, and you will receive a free, autographed "Platform Masters" poster, an autographed copy of Ulillillia's book "The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters," AND a copy of the Platform Masters video game (when it becomes available)! Please note: a $10 fee for shipping outside the US is required. The poster and book will be sent before the game's release.

Estimated delivery: Dec 2016
Add $10 to ship outside the US

Now the rewards just say:

quote:

Well, I tried to talk Ulillillia into it, but he's adamant about the game not needing any money; just time. So he is forcing me to take the Kickstarter project down. T_T

I would totally pledge for a real Uli kickstarter, but how gross do you have to be to exploit one of the internet's most lovable mentally ill people for cash?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

His sister's offer doesn't interest me, but I would pay through the nose to get a personalized psychic reading from Ulillillia himself.

Also your favorite color is #5dd4a5 and your lucky number for this week is 613,450,083.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I stole this from CineD's movie poster thread: KICK START POSTER ART!

Come for the horrendous take on the already-horrendous style of Mondo's movie posters, stay for the amazingly inept photoshop hackjobs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

I didn't see these in the KS.

They're on the website they linked to from their kickstarter. They seem to be putting their trendiest foot forward with their imitation of the traced, vectorized style that Mondo and the Alamo Drafthouse use for a lot of their posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. She was a large-scale lying, cheating scam artist who got busted and then went out in an attention whore blaze of non-glory. Who really gives a gently caress.

The author needs to find a different martyr to flog, this one's a bit tarnished.

Please stop being weird and creepy over how mad you get at women over the internet.

Some KickStarter goodness just broke into the mainstream news cycle: A 24 year-old raised over $300,000 on Kickstarter shilling for his dad's wool shirt company. And the shirt he was crowdfunding is already being made and sold.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 05:01 on May 15, 2013