Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As evil as this is, what's even worse is that actual professional film studios are doing this exact same drat thing and almost nobody cares aside from the actual VFX artists.

I'm pretty sure those guys got into legal trouble for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Now with gameplay footage!

Spoiler: It makes no sense whatsoever.

...why make a video of gameplay that includes no animations whatsoever?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

T-Shirt Kickstarters are stupid as hell no matter how good the shirt designs are because custom t-shirt printing places are about a dime a dozen.

Now, I'm not arguing the merits of this particular shirt Kickstarter, but to say all of them are stupid just because is a bit disingenuous. Yes, custom t-shirt printing place are about a dime a dozen. But it also costs far less per shirt to order a whole lot of them at once, rather than a few at a time. And getting a lot of people to pledge in advance means that you're not out a bunch of money if it turns out you were wrong about how popular your design was going to be and end up not selling any.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

JDM3 posted:

Browsing through the "games" offerings and noticed a fairly substantial number of RPG type non-digital games. (Like D&D).

Is there really a market for those? How many games can one group of nerds play?

Based on the groups I game with, a lot more than you might think. Some gamers like to stick with a few systems, while others will branch out and try as many different systems that they can get their hands on.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So, you know those peg solitaire games that you can get for around $5? Ever want one in the shape of Virginia or West Virginia? Then have I got the Kickstarter for you!

The guy wants $17,000 to make these games and is selling them for $20 each. Why does he want so much money? Because he wants to buy a $13,500 laser engraving machine.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

John Videogames posted:

Starcraft Universe: since Blizzard doesn't give us a SC MMO, we'll just make one ourselves!

Of course, they claim that it's just a SC2 mod created with the available toolkit so it's fair use. And it's sound reasoning. The only problems I can find with it are that they're getting a shitload of money under the guise of "donations" and, more importantly, Blizzard already COD'd this mod once.

They say that "In this update we'd like to affirm that Blizzard Entertainment HAS given Upheaval Arts permission to launch this Kickstarter". I'm skeptical - the Final Fantasy Advent Cosplay guys said the same and they've been shot down. Will this be legitimate or are we witnessing another episode of "I thought trademarks didn't apply to me", everybody's favourite Kickstarter sitcom?
Well, according to Kotaku, Blizzard actually flew the guys behind this out to them before the Kickstarter launched. So they might actually be telling the truth about having permission to do this.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

RPG Maker is still as popular of a tool as it was ten years ago, I see. Pay him five bucks, and he'll let you 'answer a question in the game'. I think this means he'll let you decide on a gameplay feature. If it wasn't a flexible funding campaign I'd donate just to suggest not using the default face icons.

Apparently their official music is by someone named Steven Ramon. The update proclaiming this provides no links to this person's work, nor any information about them. Great job guys!

WickedHate posted:

Why do RPG Maker users even need money?

Depends. They could want money so they can work full time on their "masterpiece." Or they could want money to hire someone else to work on the game forwith them. Or they could need money to hire a competent artist or musician or writer.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Happitoo posted:

For some reason, this one really bothers me:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-encore-cinemas

It's for a cheap movie theater near where I live.

For starters, the entire point of the kickstarter is they don't have enough capital to update their business. But they use flex funding. So even if they don't get enough money to update, and therefore stay in business, they're still going to run off with your money.

On top of that, all their rewards are predicated on them staying in business. If you pledge to get movies for 6 months, they don't make their goals, and they're not in business for 6 months they just ran off with your money and you get poo poo.

Flex funding in this case is complete bullshit. Those projectors have a finite cost. You know exactly how much money you need to update the theater as a whole. If each projector is $50,000 and you need 2, that's $100,000. It's not like if you raise $25k the people selling the projectors are going to go "oh, ok, you tried your best... here's a cookie and a projector." So why the gently caress would you do flex funding when you know it's impossible to deliver if you reach below your goal? Oh... ya, because that way you can run off with people's money when you close shop.

The entire thing just screams "Hey, I'm going to run off with your money". At least if they didn't use flex funding it wouldn't scream scam. But then they'd never get their money.

Really, the problem seems to be entirely that they used Flexible Funding instead of Fixed. A theater near me did a Kickstarter for exactly the same thing with similar rewards, and it worked for them.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

wa27 posted:

3D is a fad that won't be around much longer, and I don't even know the visual difference between a "digital presentation" and a 35mm print. It sounds like staying with their old system really restricts their selection of movies to show but I have to wonder if going digital would really "save" the theater after all.

3D is a fad, yes, but according to the theater near me who only just recently finished a Kickstarter of their own so they could upgrade, if they didn't then soon they wouldn't be able to screen any new movies, because they're not really making them on 35mm print anymore. So even if switching to digital doesn't save this theater, not switching would pretty much be a death sentence.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

I'd think it to be highly fitting if all that was written in said book was "Step 1: Find idiots on the Internet willing to pay for something without thinking about it."

I am reminded of an old FoxTrot strip:
http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrotclassics/2010/07/15

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

BanjoFish posted:

Regarding the spinning glassblowers, the spinning wine glasses seem like a disaster waiting to happen, but I think the spinning decanter is kind of cool. It fulfills the purpose of what a decanter is supposed to accomplish by aerating the wine, so it might make a good gift for the wine-connosiour who already has everything.

Yeah, I could see the decanter being a neat thing to break out for parties, but I just know I'd get really annoyed at trying to use the glasses.

Edit: I do find the actual idea behind that Kickstarter pretty neat, though.

senrath has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Aug 26, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

Isn't that illustration on the T-shirt in the upper right hand corner from Hyperbole and a Half? I guess that's how the project's creator can afford all those expensive printing machines - she can save money simply by not paying any licensing fees.

Yes, that's from Hyperbole and a Half. It's like all of those other awful meme related poo poo that shows up on Kickstarter all the time, people just don't realize that individual memes are actually owned by someone.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

MBPearls posted:

The math isn't adding up on the Kickstarter... doing very quick calculations, I have $73,000ish unaccounted for from backers (all the backer stuff seems t come up just past $5000). What the heck?

You can pledge more than the minimum for a tier. Technically, if you wanted, you could pledge $10k and select no reward.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So, Uwe Boll is trying to raise $500k to make a movie adaptation of Postal 2.

The Kickstarter posted:

POSTAL 2 will finally destroy the filmindustry and the world we are living in. We could name the movie also HONEY BOOBOO must die ....but so many people deserve to die. Why starting with a child? Did Osama die? We know. And why the Navy Seals were too stupid to land a helicopter on a free field? Why did Building 6 collapse? We explain. Why is Obama is like Bush? We show you.

POSTAL 2 by EVENT FILM

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Okay, I actually missed that bit. I kinda stopped reading after the bit I quoted.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Autechresaint posted:

Why would the explosions be tied to your character's facing direction? There are several times where he killed something, turned around and a couple of frames of the explosion follow him.

He probably wanted to make the explosions be based on your position, decided it was easier to base it on facing, and then hosed up and had it check for your facing every frame of the explosion animation rather than just when it started.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Lodin posted:

This is a pretty cool idea that will probably end as a huge failure. Cross Plane is a WiiU-pad'ish handheld that can stream pretty much anything under the sky. Sorta like how the the Nvidia Shield handles PC games.
All they need is 350.000 dollars from backers and it'll be a reality. Also, if you want to stream various consoles you'll have to buy separate "cartridges" that handle each format. The OUYA is obviously one of them and heavily featured in the video pitch.

The cheapest you can get one from them is $350. I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to spend almost as much as I would buying a brand new next-gen system on a new controller.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Umm, isn't there already such a composition? A rather famous one, at that. I forget what it's called, though, but it's five minutes of full orchestral nothing. Several recordings have been made.

Way to innovate?

You're probably thinking of 4'33". It's four minutes, 33 seconds of silence. That said, there are a lot more than just that one.

Edit: Curse me being slow at looking up that URL.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

I like this. It's like those YouTube videos where someone does an LP and say they'll only put some effort in to it once they reach a certain number of likes.

Bit off on what they're saying, although it did take me a little while to realize what they really meant. See the picture under that line? And how each additional stretch goal has the same line, plus a different picture? They're not saying that at that money they'll make the original minis better, they're saying that they'll include new minis, and are (poorly) stating that the concept art is not final and changes might be made between it and the final mini.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

No, see, they just want to make it easier on the pickpocket to relieve them of everything important in one go.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So, Story War. On the surface it doesn't look like something to post here, so let's get into why I am posting it here.
  • They had various cards available as cross promotions, pledge on both Story War and certain other projects and you'd get an additional card based on the other project. You'd also get all of the promo cards if you pledged for the "Deluxe" version of the game, which was $20 more expensive than the base set. A while after the Kickstarter ended, they revealed that every cross promotion backer would be getting the full Deluxe part of the game, regardless of what they pledged at. They did this because...
  • They didn't check with their printers about the cost of printing and shipping all of the cross promotion cards until after the Kickstarter had ended, when it was revealed that it would cost a lot more money to them individually than it would to just upgrade everyone. Without refunding the difference to the cross promo backers that also pledged for the Deluxe version, of course.
  • They offered expedited international shipping for $10 more, which they then decided to give everyone for free. Again, without refunding the people who paid for it.
  • Today it was revealed that the Print and Play demo of the expansion set would be delayed because their artist's computer broke, and they didn't have backups of a lot of the art.
  • They also revealed that they forgot to include one of the cross promo cards, so no one's going to get it because it's too late to have it printed due to cost.
  • In order to make things "right" with the people who were affected by one (or more) of these problems, they put together something they called a "whoops" list. Today they revealed that everyone on the list will be getting one month exclusive access to...some rather mediocre music based on some of the cards in the game. Music that will be released to anyone who wants it after that month, for whatever they want to pay for it. Yeah.

Edit: After taking more time to think on things, I no longer feel the way I did when I posted this. Please disregard.

senrath has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Sep 16, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I really should've explained better when I made that post, but I was tired and a little cranky. See, my big problem with how things turned out with Story War wasn't that I'm not getting everything I "paid" for (really, donated for). My problem is their apparent uncaring attitude towards these problems.

First off, the Kickstarter ended in March. It wasn't until last week that it was revealed that any cross promotional backers that backed at the Deluxe level effectively donated $20 more than (at least some of them) would have. Their response to this was to put together a list of everyone affected, and they'd be getting a month early access to something neat! But, oh, wait, after that month it's free to anyone.

Then yesterday they revealed that no one would be getting the Rogue card, and declared that it was too late to do anything, sorry, everyone affected also gets access to the neat thing, which turns out to be some music they're making based on the location cards in the game.

So to sum up, I'm not too annoyed that the mistakes happened (although one of them could have been prevented if they'd asked about printing costs of their promo stuff ahead of time), I'm annoyed at their responses to the mistakes.

Edit: After taking more time to think on things, I no longer feel the way I did when I posted this. Please disregard.

senrath has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Sep 16, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

I haven't seen any mention of this SeaSteading related IndieGoGo campaign in this thread, and I wonder how they managed to fly under our radar for so long considering their campaign started on the third of august. For those of you who don't know, the SeaSteading Institute aims to build a fully sovereign artificial island nation somewhere in the ocean so its inhabitants can be freed from that cruel human invention called 'law'. The project is supported mostly by crazy libertarians, including one of the PayPal founders. In the past there have been threads on GBS about SeaSteading and other libertarian micronations, which have spawned some excellent literature.

The bold captain of industry leading the project has finally decided to call in some outside help from an architectural firm, which has managed to talk them out of building a platform in the middle of the ocean. Instead the institute now plans on founding their city near some country's coastline, which would make it easier to restock the island with food and water. A slight problem: if they're not in international waters, they're subject to the rules of whatever country they're closest to. Luckily they've got a plan for that:

They'll just politely ask a country to acknowledge their sovereignty! In fact, they already have a few locations in mind. (Which they do not explicitly name anywhere). I hope hope some country accepts their offer, only to gouge prices for food, water and electricity once the stupid artificial island is in place. When the inevitable whining starts, the host country should simply reply 'free market :smug:' and threaten to raise prices even further.

I take it that no one involved in the project ever played Bioshock.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

If you pump 5000 dollars into the bus tour, you'll receive 2000 DVDs, 2000 books, 12 T-shirts, 4 signed posters, 4 tickets to the premier, and the producers will also stick a camera in your face so that you are free to go on an angry rant that will be watched by literally tens of like-minded individuals.

That works out to just over a dollar per item. Is the guy behind this project just really pissed off at the IRS because of his own inability to figure out finances correctly?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

I've never heard of this particular device before, but after the OUYA debacle you'd think people on KickStarter would be more careful about backing the next Android games console. This was launched minutes ago, and it already has over 700 dollars in pledges.

To be fair to them, while the OUYA was supposed to be a games console that happened to run Android, this one seems to be a multimedia center that happens to be able to run a few games. I still wouldn't fund it, but their business model at least seems to be better than OUYA's.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

My three year old TV already does everything this does other than play a handful of games that I can play on my two year old phone. Way to keep up with the curve, guys!

Yeah, but I bet you can't hack your TV :downs:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, I'm a backer and they've been doing a really good job of communicating their problems, admitting their mistakes, and finding workarounds. As good as any theoretical kickstarter could do, I'm not really sure what you want.

My copy actually literally just arrived an hour ago, and I couldn't be happier. Got everything I was supposed to and its in very high quality.

If you're bitching about other people getting some free stuff, even understanding why it happened, you're just being immature. They've done a fine job of communicating and they haven't hidden anything.

Honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, I really shouldn't have posted it here. There were mistakes made, but it isn't the end of the world, and they've been very transparent about things. I've had more time to think on things now and my moment of anger has passed. The only reason I didn't edit out those posts were because people had quoted them, although I probably should go back and edit in an explanation that I no longer feel the same way I did when I posted those.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder why he picked such an incredibly specific day to start suing people for no good reason.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Noni posted:

Was Subutai open from the start that the Kickstarter campaign was only for first round fundraising, or was this something they announced after they blew half a million bucks on hookers and swords?

They didn't mention that the Kickstarter was only for the initial funds to try and attract other investors until this latest update, I believe.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

UncleSmoothie posted:

You've found TimeCube: The Game.

That was the response of the TG Kickstarters thread too. The best part is the update it has:

History posted:

It was taken off a Goa'uld mother ship.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

Craig needs your help to make this HTML5 belt buckle a reality. I can imagine someone buying and wearing a piece of pop-culture related merchandise because said person is a fan. But a belt buckle for a markup language? Is HTML5 really that popular of a tool?

Not that I know of? And honestly, I didn't even realize that was the HTML5 logo until I looked it up. I could see someone mistaking it as a Superman themed belt buckle from a distance.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

NoneSuch posted:

The $1850 pledge confuses me, I can't imagine an adult wanting to go out and ride one of those things so it can only be meant for kids. Sending your kid out to meet some design team and stay a night is creepy.

Do they make adut sized versions for the portly gentleman?

Given that their specs talk about being useable by a 250 lb adult? I'd say they're expecting kids AND adults are going to want to use one.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

You mean a lack of context except for the last, what, ten pages? :raise:

I believe he's saying that if you take the quote out of context it sounds like a TCC post, not that there's no context.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

MrAptronym posted:

Its kind of sad when you admit most of your money is going towards catering to make animators stay with you. Is he hiring the homeless? Sonic fans?

Art students. He's literally trying to get art students to work for him for "small incentives" rather than actual pay.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

Well, this is their artist's deviantart page. That doesn't fill me with faith that they're taking the piss.

Whether or not it still is, it did at least start as a parody.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Someone has already pledged $5000 for a game that doesn't exist. Why would you? Are the developers well-known MMORPG designers, or why would anyone invest such amount of money for a game that may be poo poo?

I'd guess it's called "being friends with the dev team."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator

I don't know if this is a good Kickstarter or a bad one.

It's awesome and the creator actually registered to answer some questions in the Kickstarter Gaming thread.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Keep in mind, this is this guy's second attempt at this KS.

He has the same number of backers and over twice the amount pledged, now.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Pledge $6,000 or more

8 backers Limited (2 left of 10)

For a $6000 pledge you will be one of the lucky six people who will obtain the very first Cesium 133 prototype watches.

Someone on that project can't do math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Tim Chuma posted:

In all honesty I was going to try to do something on this site, but too many people are posting stupid poo poo or want support just to run things that should be a hobby. I have poured all my money for the last ten years and most of my time into my own work and thought I might be able to get some support. Bollocks to that idea then....

So because other people are getting money for poo poo things you're not going to try for what you feel is your own not-poo poo thing?