Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Incredible Ed posted:

What's even more dumb is that she can get into a pre-existing condition insurance pool for like, at the most, $100 a month and get it completely covered.

What the holy gently caress are you even talking about here? Are you posting from 1973 or something?

Unfortunately, I think that lady has fallen prey to some woo, and wants surgery followed by chelation therapy, which no, they're not going to give you in the ER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I think she wants non-standard treatments for something that standard medicine doesn't believe, on the basis of current clinical data, is the source of her health issues. I base this only on her description of the process of post-surgery recovery, which sounds like woo-woo chelation therapy (basically, a scaled-down version of the process they use to detox someone from an acute toxic metal exposure, only for issues that current evidence doesn't support any basis for needing any kind of detox). Anyway, if this is accurate, she would never prevail in court, because the insurance company would have a ton of more qualified doctors to bat down any of her doctors' claims.

My guess is that any "checking" that was done was limited to verifying that there was a doctor who had agreed to do the surgery, and a clinic that was ready to do the chelation, and didn't go as far as checking whether these people were on the fringes of standard medical practice or not.

I am the first to fling copious poo at the US insurance system, court system, and health care system, but the way she talks about the metal poisoning stuff sounds like the "my dental fillings are killing me" nuttery that is so widespread on the fringes of medicine.

Either way, I hope she feels better after her treatments, of course, but I do wonder.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Apr 6, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

I don't care about any of what she says, what "shrapnel" from a car accident causes heavy metal poisoning? There's no lead or mercury in a car. And very little tungsten, if any. So...what?

She feels like crap, and because the regular docs couldn't help her after a point, she found an alternative doc who told her that she was being poisoned by metal pieces in her body, but the appropriate surgery plus snake oil will fix it all. And there's no way an insurance company would pay, thus Internets begging.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Assuming we're operating on the assumption that the charity case wasn't just BS. I'm an optimist.

Her explanation was BS. What we don't know is if she was BS-ing donors or a quack was BS-ing her.

You do hav to pay quacks upfront, because the last thing they want to do is take anyone to court.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Hogo Fogo posted:

Vela Kurev is Slovak for 'a lot of whores' :xd:

I knew Frank Miller had pen names!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

^^^ that would actually be useful for any stomach sleepers who recently had breast surgery (implants and cysts as well as breast cancer as mentioned in the pitch) or mastitis and other issues related to breast feeding

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Because as opposed to donating to an actual charity, or to the local police department who can actually use the money in a better way (or at least I hope so), or to the hospitals where 60-70 more people are being treated, people are focusing all their "charity" on a first-come-first-serve basis.

The OneFund Boston, which has helping responders and responder organizations as part of its mission, has $11 million in donations right now, so this effort isn't draining coffers.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Apr 22, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to become a Canadian citizen. More or less than 350k?

It's $400K Canadian for the "Investor" category (you have to put that much on deposit with the government; your net worth needs to be at least $800K Canadian).

Mozi posted:

But isn't it strange to donate to that even though there are dozens of people equally deserving of charity who, by chance, didn't appear in photos on the front page?

The One Fund Boston has >$11 million so far, so it's not like this guy is cutting other people off from help. If One Fund Boston is administered like the 9/11 fund, individual fundraising through other venues will be figured in as part of determining how much One Fund money a qualified recipient will receive (as far as I know, that is the plan).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I think he's just an idiot. I've worked with people as stupid as him before.

My favorite project is his Price Differ app. The basic idea is to write down the price of every single item in every single store you enter so that you compare them later.

http://www.gregflick.net/iPhone2.htm

He's right in calling his business "Flick Entertainment" because that page is loving hilarious.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

All the other projects on both pages are the exact same loving app. How can that be your favorite? :haw:

It's even more ridiculous because it's not compatible with free barcode scanning comparison shopping apps that already exist, like ShopSavvy for instance.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That first one starts out mediocre and passably competent (except for "two-years-prior", I've seen worse pitch letters get bought by publishers) and then just descends into madness. Lady, I don't want to get to know you, and if I had ever wanted to read your bland, derivative vampire novel I certainly don't want to now.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Snak posted:

I understand that it's generally obnoxious when someone is extremely outspoken about their views on an issue, but how is this attitude any different than people who put crosses and bible quotes on everything?

It's not, those people are dicks too, and people complain about them all the loving time on GBS. Did you miss the whole Faithmouse thing?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

weirdojace posted:

Help this hack "comedy musician" get $1000 to release a CD of songs he recorded with MIDIs in his basement.

Donate now!!!

Ha ha ha ha, this guy's famous for his incompetence and assholery, as you can see from his :nws: Encyclopedia Dramatica page: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/David_Tanny (:nws: because Encyclopedia Dramatica)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

The whole situation is baffling. If it was a life or death operation there is no way that she would need the money up front to get the surgery, but she kept towing the line that she needed the money to pay for the surgery. I can understand being afraid of paying a hospital bill AFTER you get a surgical procedure, but that is something you worry about afterwards, when you are out of danger. Emergency rooms can not deny you treatment in a life/death situation.

The surgery she described, for the reasons she said she needed it, would only have been performed by a quack doctor. Quacks get paid up front.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Oasx posted:

This may be a stupid question, but as I understand it in the US, anyone can go to the ER and get help, and then you just get a bill, but they can't refuse treatment. It isn't the same with surgery that could save your life?

The story she originally told was that she had "metal poisoning" following a years-ago car wreck, and needed to have the imbedded metal removed because it was poisoning her immune system. There are doctors in the US who actually would tell patients that, but they are quacks and as such would charge up front.

The only way her original story would have made sense was if she had had horrible attorneys and even worse, and unethical, quack doctors. Both categories abound, so it seemed somewhat possible that she was being lied to, rather than lying to others. Now we know it was the latter.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Exmond posted:

To be fair if someone said "Do this or I will kill myself" I would be a bit pissed off. Especially if what they were doing went against my ethics (My ethics being dishonest with people why you want money, not gender reassignment). So we have an editor who went through this and now because there is the whole gender reassignment issue the editor is getting attacked on twitter..

No, he's being a dick by calling Sagal "he" and other bullshit. Crack on this woman all you like for being a scam artist, but don't be a jerk about her gender identity. Even if, as the Destructoid editor claims, she is still presenting as male legally and in some social contexts, Allastair isn't the arbiter of her gender identity.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Facepunch is saying she killed herself because people like us doubted her.

It doesn't seem like she killed herself, based on the NeoGAF thread, and honestly "made a Twitch channel, lay down and took pills on-cam" would be pretty unlikely to succeed as a suicide method. Hoping she gets useful help, and that she can connect with a support network and get help with all aspects of her life, including finding a way to finance her gender affirmation treatments without scamming people.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Exmond posted:

You do realize that she blackmailed the editor with her life right? I think the editor is well within his right to put up his hands and be like "Im sick of this poo poo" and not care about gender identity.

Edit: Also if you read his tweets he references Chloe as she many times

I understand how someone who is (justly) angry at someone who has treated them like poo poo would want to be purposefully rude to that person, sure. Someone asked why Allistair was getting flak on Twitter, though, and it was for posting stuff like "she (I should say he because he's a him in real life)". Which, despite his justified anger at her lovely, manipulative behavior and lies, was rude.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Xandu posted:

So the guy wants to make a documentary, but can't even be bothered to make a kickstarter video.

The gods help those who help themselves, so there's no percentage in that for atheists. :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

I'm not sure what to think of this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/galrozov/foldimate-the-robotic-laundry-folding-machine?ref=live

It's an automatic laundry folding machine designed to be used in laundromats and ultimately homes (though at around $5000 to preorder one, that's probably a long way off). Does anyone really spend enough time with laundry folding that this would be a worthwhile labor saving invention?

Hospitals, hotels, linen rental services, etc. already do, which is why industrial folding machines exist.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Nothing wrong with it but does Michael's picture look off? I can't tell if he's(?) wearing some wig or something...

That's the Smiley guy? gently caress that poo poo.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

He's saying that Obesity is entirely a mental health issue and the easy availability of extremely high calorie food has no influence on the amount of calories people consume in a day (they eat too much because they're suffering from an eating disorder and would eat just as much even if it was harder to get hold of high calorie food)

What about the 90% to 70% of obese people who aren't either binge eaters or emotional eaters (depending on which study you think is right, it's a little complicated)? Binge eating is an especially poor predictor for obesity among the young.

Oh, wait, this dude did no research at all, right?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

A wall-mounted bottle opener is something I associate with sleazy motels and my alcoholic uncle's basement workshop.

The magnet is a good idea, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

What racial group is associated with saying "youse"?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Going to AmericanSouthernUniversity.org suggests that this whole thing is some guy in a basement.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The only work about animals and drugs anyone ever needs is LaTawnya the Naughty Horse. :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

There are two Facebook profiles for Gwyneth ("Gwyneth"?) One is for /gwyneth.landale, though the display name is "Gwyneth Terezi Londale"; one is for /hristyy, display name "Hristy Valkyrie". I don't even know what's going on, except that at least one person is boring and bad at both writing and art.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Noni posted:

But none of those other bags explicitly state my gender on them! How will people know my gender and the degree to which I am that gender?

They need to make one that says "TOTALLY NOT GAY MAN-Pack" on it, and then they'll clean up.

Eta: The one that doesn't have the giant logo says "The branding is a small stamped piece of leather in an indiscrete spot" so either it's on an amoeba or, if they spelled it wrong, on your penis. MAN-Pack!

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Jul 26, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

In defense of disposable clothes, there are such things a tyvek paper coveralls or those 3-for-$8 t-shirts that you'll wear for a couple of weeks and throw out. They have their use as work clothes for dirty environments.

The rip-apart function, though... The only use for that is strip-teases and sex games, really.

Disposable underwear for travelers. Paper underwear for God knows why. Paper dresses from the 1960s.

Hey, everyone, fund my Kickstarter for an innovative new idea---a carbonated beverage flavored with the kola nut! I can't decide whether to call it Koka-Kola or Peppi-Kola, so my top reward tier is that you get to pick!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

Those guys aren't British.

Karsten is German. Ashley lives in Wales presently, studied at Lancaster, but also studied in Japan. "Conlan" sounds Irish, though, so who knows?

quote:

Well one of them might be but if so he's spent some time away and his accent is off. I can assure you that Americans doing a regional British accent is far more grating. They throw words in without context because most of the British characters they have seen are amplified, eccentric characters who use a lot of weird idioms and conversational tics - see Doctor Who. Other cultures are usually better at emulating your speech because we've consumed a lot more of your media than you have ours.

You just don't know how bad your US accents sound. Australians are much better at US accents than UK actors, except for Idris Elba, whose US accents are perfect. Even very good UK actors like Emma Thompson are terrible at US accents. The people who try to do Americans on the BBC radio dramas are Dick-Van-Dyke-in-Mary-Poppins-bad.

US actors are universally terrible at UK accents also, of course.

In any case, the bear's accent is ridiculous.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Jul 27, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Orzo posted:

Haha, from the video: 'I don't know of a single human being who reads more than I do. No brag. Just fact.'

Pay no attention to those book reviewers, literary agents, publishing executives, and academics behind the curtain!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

To become an LLC, which protects your rear end, it costs around $140 for an authorized certificate of establishment from the State Secretary. That is what I did because I live in Delaware and our tax laws are amazing- Delaware spread its legs to corporations which is something I don't know too much about or am inclined to speak on.

For LLCs in Massachusetts, it's $500 registration fee and a $500 annual fee to file a mandatory annual report.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh god. This is like that Lore Kickstarter except without the mentally handicapped person.

Without the diagnosis, maybe.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mmmm yes a festival for people obsessed with technology in a place that has none of it and few ways to use it.

But that's pretty much Burning Man already, with the drones and the 3D printers and the genome laser show and the solar-powered blenders and all the light-up doohickeys and geodesic what-nots. It's where hippies and techies find their common ground of tripping balls and getting naked.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Aug 9, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Here's my question for that documentarian: how the gently caress do you not know the woman's name is Nicki Minaj, no e?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

There's quite a bit of really nicely done Negro League memorabilia available from stores and businesses owned by black people already, so why the Kickstarter for white dudes to jump on the bandwagon?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Nnep posted:

What exactly is the demographic for a negro league t-shirt?

Besides Spike Lee, who wears them all the time? Frat dudes at historically black colleges and universities.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

They can't even get their bible right, the whole point of the manna collection thing is that God commanded them to only collect what they needed, no more or else it would spoil.

This is more like Pokemanna.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/2013/08/why-spike-lees-kickstarter-campaign-is.html

It seems like Spike Lee kickjacked his own project.

If true, Kickstarter is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

How did you get that from that article? I agree with bitterscriptreader that it was probably Spike Lee's rich friends who tossed in bucks.

I like Spike Lee's work, but I am always astonished at how successfully he positions himself as indie man of the people while hobnobbing with some of the richest people in the US. He's on Martha's Vineyard right now hanging with people for whom a $10K Kickstarter pledge would be pocket change.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

current condition of some cards

Are they ten years old? If this works, are they going to Kickstart "Awesome Fort in Jason's Back Yard" (Risks/Challenges: Jason's mum may not let us)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

At first I was all :douche: but you people are warming my icy Grinch heart.