Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

BiggerJ posted:

Also, how would people making fanfilms get permission to film anywhere? That'd be a hell of a conversation with a property owner or other relevant authority.

"I'd like to film a movie here."

"Okay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I'm still having trouble coming to terms with the fact that MegaTokyo is still a thing, first of all, but also that it's a thing with a significant enough fanbase to pull down $300k.

Great Rumbler has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Aug 26, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

WickedHate posted:

It's still better then Chugsworth Academy. :colbert:

Chugsworth had the decency to go away forever about four years ago, though.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Give me a dollar, and I'll write you a word. Tolstoy's War and Peace has a word count of approximately 600,000 and spans about 1500 pages. This guy wants a hundred thousand dollars in total, so he's either going to spend twenty years trying to place all of his submitted words in a vaguely coherent order, write a book that dwarfs even the longest novels in word count, or the resulting word mash will simply suck and not really be readable in any kind of way.

The trolling opportunities for this are literally limitless.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Fatkraken posted:

Doesn't the guy who originally drew the troll face vigorously defend it when people try to make money from it?

As do the original creators of various other memes. Have fun in court, guys!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Well...that joke certainly has been used quite a few times, hasn't it?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I could justify a "pay me to get in shape while I make a series about it or a bunch of workout tapes" project if the end result were something entertaining or useful. This guy's got absolutely no charisma or screen presence or wit or charm or comic sensibility or good articulation or anything that would remotely make him tolerable to watch on film.

Yeah, there's just nothing there that should interest anybody enough to fork over cash money. Now, if it was boogie2988...

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Just ditch the whole "nuclear war" angle and instead rewrite it so that Air Force One accidentally crashes into the prison ship, forcing the military to send in a disgraced former soldier to rescue the President.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's not often that the uncanny valley kicks in with a real, live human, but this is one of those times.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
If you're trying to Kickstarter a series about two funny comedy dudes, it might, you know, help to actually HAVE two funny comedy dudes. Maybe that's just me, though?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I wish I knew what project led to this update to Kickstarter's guidelines:

quote:

-Projects cannot offer genetically modified organisms as a reward. (Updated 7/31/2013)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
But Tentacle Grape has the Kotaku seal of approval!

http://kotaku.com/5120568/ah-the-delicious-taste-of-tentacle-rape posted:

When the folks at Mnemosyne aren't busy running MMORPG Rubies Of Eventide, the busy themselves with other pursuits, such as developing the world's first beverage with the great taste of anime tentacle rape.

Tentacle Grape is a caffienated grape soda that Mnemosyne is targeting at gamers, cosplayers, and comic book fans. It is also perhaps the best name I've ever seen for a product you actually ingest

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

A Master of Anatomy book without input from Rob Liefeld? No sale, Kickstarter. :colbert:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Machai posted:

Has anyone done a Leeroy Jenkins movie yet?

Sadly, yes.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Oldboy wasn't the movie that Lee funded through Kickstarter.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The Doobie dream will never die.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Those MRA-types really started squealing when they realized that they are being forced to pay the salary of a vocal feminist. :mmmhmm:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I love stuff like this, but the problem I have specifically with Kung Fury is that it's just so unfocused, the trailer starts off ironically funny and then it descends into:

-CYBERPUNK!!!
-KUNG FU!!!
-HITLER!!!
-VIKINGS!!!
-NORSE GODS!!!
-DINOSAURS!!!

As if running down the checklist of "Cool Things" will guarantee it ends up being a movie that everybody has to see. Should've just stuck with the crazy cyberpunk kung fu guy.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Elysiume posted:

Aren't projects with a $1 minimum against the ToS? If you have literally no overhead/developmental costs, it's just a storefront, which isn't allowed (as far as I know) on kickstarter.

There have been at least two others that did this, including one from Penny Arcade.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Alan Smithee posted:

You mean like maids with cat ears? You actually thought that would be better?

It would at least be less inexplicable.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Rickycat posted:

I was introduced to steampunk through Thief/Thief 2. I thought it was so cool and a unique idea. Then a few years later I went on the internet and found all of the awkward steampunk disasters and horrible people that you can smell through your monitor.

A drat shame.

Much like anything pure and good, the internet quickly takes hold of it and runs it straight into the ground.

The best pre-fad vision of steampunk is William Gibson/Bruce Sterling's The Difference Engine.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Tippis posted:

City of the Lost Children. So there.

Steamboy is pretty good, too.

Well, it looks good, anyway.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Goddamnit.

God.

drat.

It.

To this day I never put 2 and 2 together that the Thief games were steampunk, and I have fond memories playing through the whole series. Now those memories are completely ruined.

So..uhh...you weren't tipped off by the fact that Thief 2 had crazy, steam-powered robots?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

steinrokkan posted:

b) Public outrage will convince the group to abandon the project, or will paint its members as bullies abusing the benevolence of OC's representatives by defacing public property.

Considering that the entire purpose of the project is to generate outrage, I doubt this would work.

The smartest thing they could would be to suggest they'd be willing to get rid of the Ten Commandments monument, then use the resulting public outcry/outrage to simultaneously justify them keeping the Ten Commandments monument and shifting attention away from the satanic monument.

Great Rumbler has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jan 8, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The history of any symbol has always been completely irrelevant in comparison to the commonly understood meaning.

See: swastikas.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

But does he have a vent hood?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

taiyoko posted:

Since I still don't know what a 'lemo' is, aside from one letter away from 'lemon', I choose to believe it is a 'budget' 'limo', aka some cheap piece of crap with horrible seats and suspension, and breaks down as soon as you're five miles away from anything remotely worthwhile.

Urban Dictionary suggests that it's a slang term for cocaine.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's terrible even by "really bad amateur anime" standards. It's at the low end of even DeviantArt quality.

EDIT: The game, not that kickin rad pec pad.

I've seen some really great art on DevianArt, this...is just about as bad as it gets. Like, this guy picked up one of those horrible "Start Drawing Anime Girls TODAY!" books from a bookstore, read it for a few hours, and then drew those characters. And this "game" is all art to begin with. I'd be embarrassed to show those off to my friends, much less to actually use them to ask for money.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

lil mortimer posted:

Woah, 128GB. Look at the tags on the PonoPlayer's screen. :laffo:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Oh boy, they're going to make more Hiimdaisy comics except this time they won't be funny!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator

I don't know if this is a good Kickstarter or a bad one.

It's an AMAZING Kickstarter.

But seriously, the game actually looks interesting and clearly the creator put a lot of effort into the presentation.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/687530622/meme-trading-card-game

Guess what's back
Back again
Memes are back
Tell a friend

Isn't this the kind of thing that you can get sued over? Because I'm pretty sure it is.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I don't think "wants to play cool video games" is particularly niche. Loads of people like to simulate the experience of being a WWII soldier or whatever. Something that brings them closer to the actual experience (without all the genuinely nasty bits) ought to have fairly widespread appeal I imagine.

I think it's partly the fact that Oculus is a box you strap to your face that makes it niche [at least for the time being].

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
There's some info on that Facebook page, including a picture of the interior:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zereth posted:

Are those mason jar light fixtures? :staredog:

Get yer Madison Avenue sensibilities out of Alabama, carpetbagger!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That watch is ugly as hell.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I bet they only raised $500 and somebody kicked in $3k to bring it to exactly $3,500 (which means they only got $200 after fees)

Based on the pledges listed on the left, they raised $2,050 from 15 people. That leaves $1,450 coming from 3 people who didn't choose a pledge reward.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I can't tell if he's actually mentally ill or if he's doing the viral marketing thing again. Either way I wouldn't suggest giving that kickstarter much attention

If it's impossible to tell the difference between genuine mental illness and viral marketing, well...

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Oh look, it's an anime-inspired visual novel game! On the surface, it doesn't look particular bad, it's got semi-decent art and the post-apocalyptic setting is at least an interesting wrinkle. But then you get to this:

Yep, that's the main character's sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

Modern Ctrl-Alt-Del:

-actual backgrounds
-has a joke and a punchline
-is about videogames

You mean like...the very newest P-A comic that was just posted earlier today?