Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Liska posted:

I like that comments are already disabled for the video. Either it was done preemptively, or things got out of hand that quickly.

God drat it. I want to see the comments. Here I am with a fresh gamers.txt document with nothing to paste in it. If I had given much money to this project, I'd be seriously pissed. Do they not get that the theater of nerd rage is half of the reason why so many people gave them money?

Besides, I feel like their effort was to begin a dialogue, not preach to the choir. Sure, it's Youtube, but that's exactly why they should leave it open. It's for the same reason why democrats never really challenge congressional seats of old racist republicans: every time those old farts open their fat mouths, donations flood into the DNC.

The more often an average gamer is exposed to the buffoonery of his idiotic sexist compatriots, the more likely he is to give a poo poo about the issue, if only to distance himself. The best way to demonstrate a culture of misogyny isn't to make a calm, well-reasoned argument but to make a calm, well reasoned argument that is followed by a flood of badly-written sexist responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
From the makers of a $12 pocket whistle and a $15 keychain pill holder comes the Tactical Pen, a $30 pen housing that has already met its goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1838656053/tactical-pen

It's cool, sure, but not $30 cool and it's not remotely an original product that doesn't already exist as made by 50 different companies. Who wants to bet that they've outsourced all of their projects to China and are making $29 on each pen?

Or maybe I just hate companies that use Kickstarter to sell crap they're already making as if it's eBay.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Wow, his fursona of a sad, fat, neckbearded, human in a fedora is pretty realistic looking, even down to the vitamin D deficiency and lazy eye. I must say, those loving furries are getting pretty crafty with their costumes.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Hey, let's see what's going on at Indigogo under the keyword "mmorpg", which never lets me down:

quote:

Brawler's Treasure - Revolution in Online Entertainment

Become a millionaire while playing revolutionary and most astonishing MMORPG game with one mutual world for Phones, Tablets, PCs, Gaming Consoles and even TVs!

I am so, so confused. I guess they need $600,000 to have a treasure-centric MMORPG featuring this country:

And it's a treasure-based. Involving real treasure. Treasures!

I needed to screenshot this in case it suddenly changes and you all accuse me of having some sort of fever dream:

Yes, I would indeed like to step up by joining to treasure mode! There I can become a winner of real treasure that is worth 250,00 euros and I can collect a gear that can be manufactured and be competing with millions in real time for something that is virtual and real at the same time. Am I a strong enough dude to survive alone and take everything for myself or do I want to make some friends and join the guild, consciously knowing that dividing and sharing is inevitable? To answer your question: YES.

I have the perseverance and flair, which are highly required! GOD drat those nooks of hell. Yes, game makers, I am ready to stand in the lights of glory from heavens as ONE who strived hardly and looked they all you desired(?). Answer: I am ready for the Brawler's Treasure!

quote:

Have you ever seen a game with some or much of compelixty where you can win real version of something that is in it virtually? You have rescued princess Peach as Mario for sure. Do you have her number or did you dated her in real life? We know that you know. There are no games like Brawler's Treasure. This is amazing!

Where the hell has Fragmaster gone off to? I need him to do a dramatic reading of this entire campaign proposal.

A select quote from their website:

quote:

Some of Highlights:

Newest technologies
Boundlessness of Creation
Professionalism of Actions
Ingenious Workflow

High-End Graphics
Worldwide Range
Brave Moves
Mind & Soul Cooperation

The artwork is good, but I'm guessing that it's either stolen or prior works of the artists and unrelated to the game.

There's got to be some sort of language issue here but it's still blowing my mind. Each sentence of the campaign proposal rings in my head as if Balki from Perfect strangers is desperate to make a massive videogame. If I tried to make a fake MMORPG campaign as a joke, I don't think I could come even near to this level of perfection. I feel like I'm in the audience at an early Andy Kaufman show, confused as all hell about whether or not this production before me is real or fake.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Forget a five-head, this guy's got a six-head:

He's actually pretty famous at his day job, you guys:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Venusian Weasel posted:

This really isn't an awful crowdfunding campaign, but I don't know where else to put it.

Lowell Observatory is trying to scrape together just over $250,000 to restore their historic 24-inch Clark Telescope. The telescope was commissioned in 1895, and since it was completed in 1896, it has seen almost constant use. The project uses indiegogo for the flex funding, which I'm assuming will be used to make whatever repairs they can to the telescope with the money they get.

This is the awful Kickstarter thread, not the "Tearfully Sad Comment on the State of Public Funding for Scientific History, Education, and Research" thread. Jesus, that's depressing. It's even more depressing when you realize that they probably chose Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter specifically because they think it's going to fail and would rather just have the flexible funding (nonprofits are fine on Kickstarter as long as they're not after general funds but money for a project).

This is like seeing a former professor of yours panhandling in the streets. You pass him and only just barely recognize his bearded face behind the filth. "I'll... I'll suck your dick for ten bucks." He says. You tell him your name. You tell him that you were once a student of his and he was once your favorite teacher, who inspired you and thousands of others to do and learn great things. You wait for some sort of explanation, but he only barely mumbles something about losing Pluto and then replies, "Okay. Then I'll suck your dick for five dollars."

The loving Lowell observatory, a national landmark, shouldn't have to whore itself out for money among the filth at Indiegogo.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Looks like Civitas cancelled their campaign because they found another source of funding.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d/posts/430635

Well that's loving fishy. With kickstarter, you're making money through, essentially, very early pre-sales of the finished product. Other sources of funding are going to be loans or selling equity in the company. If your kickstarter is going to be successful, I would think it would be the better choice.

Or it could be that they preemptively stopped the campaign because they weren't, contrary to what they said, on track to reach the goal:

The announcement came right after they plateaued. Somewhere out there, an investor just got duped for $250k, probably on the basis of Kicktraq's faulty "trending toward" number and the one-time pledge rush caused by the Simcity fiasco. Now they're adding supporter backlash into the mix.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

Ever felt like not playing golf because reasons ? This fine old man has the perfect assemblage of pvc pipes for you http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1626277825/the-drutter?ref=recently_launched

A slingshot? This guy has obviously never met a bored college student nor heard of potato gun golfing. With PGG, your biggest concern is how to fit 18 holes worth of beer into one backpack. The putter superglued to this jackass' slingshot is awful. When potato gun golfing, you don't have to fret the lovely putting part of golf: When you're on the green and aiming at the ground 10 feet in front of you, everything goes in the hole. Okay, it won't be in the hole, but it'll definitely be in a hole of some sort. Everybody is Tiger Woods when playing PGG. Hell, it takes calculation and talent not to overshoot the green by 100 yards.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Nnep posted:

I would have thought this was a joke if i didn't know better

You guys are interpreting this wrong. It's not for measuring wind speed, it's for using the hot air produced by smartphone blowhards to power their dumb phones.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I'm into extreme dunking: I put my Oreos and milk in a blender and then use a beer bong to funnel the mixture straight into my rectum. The oreogasm is incredible. The creamy filling of the cookie works perfectly as a creamy filling of my own. You guys should try it. It's the fastest way to get those Oreo molecules into your blood stream. Sometimes, I use double-stuffs and chocolate milk so it's dark and twice as thick. Oh yeah.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

If I could time travel back to 1998 and start an alternative rock band, this photo would be our album cover.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Guess what actually exists. If it's reported on Slashdot, it's got to be true. . . Right?

I hope the OUYA is completely bug-free with perfect hardware and a speedy roll-out. That way, when/if it fails, we'll all be able to blame the idea and the company rather than the execution. Also it'll spawn a lot of funny conspiracy theories about how Big Gaming killed the OUYA.

Here's Time Magazine yesterday:
Ouya’s Lesson for Kickstarter Backers: You’re Buying the Beta
http://techland.time.com/2013/04/04/ouyas-lesson-for-kickstarter-backers-youre-buying-the-beta/

Hehe. That's probably not the kind of mainstream press they wanted.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
You can use EXP to buy EXP? :confused:

This guy is already posting as if he's making EXP for every dumb word he says.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Orzo posted:

There is no loving way that a 'fraud algorithm' was used to evaluate that particular fundraiser. What a load of crap.

A fun game to play is to switch the word "algorithm" with "spirit guide" and see if it changes the context. If it doesn't, the algorithm is probably bullshit. Let's see what happens!

quote:

Indiegogo has a proprietary and effective anti-fraud spirit guide, and when suspicious activity is detected the campaign is immediately suspended and all contributors are refunded. Indiegogo's proprietary trust and security spirit guide, and our community of credible, conscious participants help to make Indiegogo the world's largest, most trusted global crowdfunding platform.

"Community of credible, conscious participants" :rolleyes:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Boy she sure showed us by killing herself.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Neogaf seems to have decent info on the Chloe Sagal situation:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=556930

It seems like there was 18 minutes of nothing, then she possibly took some pills or ate something and twitchtv ended the feed. EMTs had already been called. More recently in the thread, someone seems to have verified that she's alive and hospitalized. Yay.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378279437/the-man-card

It's a steel card with the word "MAN" on it.

You pull it out when you're not secure in your own masculinity.

This would be quite handy for people who have a hard time demonstrating that they have testicles to others and/or people who have long term memory disorders and very short arms. It's also a bar mitzvah gift. For everyone else, I can see that it would be a solid reference in situations where you absolutely have to prove that you're a douchebag.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Hot girls usually do. But then again I live in LA so it's not necessarily mutually exclusive

Did you just call a 12 year old girl "hot"?

Also, just how out of touch are you guys with kids who have grown up with Facebook? The average active user has 250 friends. The average teenager has over 500. I'd bet that a third of high school girls have more than 1000 friends.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
It's a testament to how crappy and overpriced Cutco knives are when a creepy dude brandishing knives door to door can't manage to squeak out a few racketeering dollars.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Bloodnose posted:

In the video it looks like it only folds one thing at a time and takes like 30 seconds to do it. It doesn't look convenient at all.

In the video, the lady had enough time to make a phone call which appears to have involved listening to someone tell funny jokes. That's got to be a 3 minute conversation at least.

I'm disappointed. I was expecting a machine the size of a washer where you dump your clothes into a big hopper. Then, who cares if it takes three minutes per item.

Edit:

Noni has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Jun 7, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

o prbl posted:

This one's probably already been posted in the thread, but self-aggrandizing poo poo like this just makes me rage: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551129138/energy-hook-0?ref=card

You heard it here folks, he was literally the only designer on Spider-Man 2. He created it himself, with his bare loving hands. You see, the tens of other people at Neversoft just don't loving exist, they were a complete figment of everyones' imagination. Nope, it was just Jamie loving Fristrom and his hex editor manually assembling the bits that became Spider-Man 2. :suicide:

You don't understand. He invented gravity, rope, and momentum. The first two were easy, but you should have seen everyone before momentum was invented. Just trying to run somewhere was insane. They made a recent documentary about it called QWOP. Jamie Fristrom is a goddamn genius.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I'm going to invent kobe beets so I can get rich off of illiterate foodies and wealthy eastern europeans.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Whelp it looks like that social justice warriors got ahold of this kickstarter and are not personally advocating everyone report it to get it banned
http://jezebel.com/redditors-pua-kickstarter-project-recommends-sexual-as-514264056

If it does can we finally call Shitstarter hypocrites for caving into one mob mentality but letting "fund muh daughter"-starter go through?

I hope the kickstarter goes through and this jackass gets his money. Why? Because then we can finally say that kickstarter profited off of Reddit's rape instruction manual. Hopefully, if people talk about rape profiteering enough, kickstarter might actually start enforcing their own loving rules and regu--Hahahaha I can't believe I almost made it through that sentence. Congratulations, kickstarter! In a few short hours, you'll have officially endorsed sexual assault by your trademark inaction.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Elysiume posted:

I ended up quoting like half of those and took the quotes out for space. He is explicitly advocating sexual assault and says that you should only stop if she explicitly says "STOP" or "GET AWAY FROM ME," with the caveat that anything less is her being totally into it.

He also tells how to prevent women from verbalizing rejection, and since rejection in his mind equates to a knee to the nuts or the verbal equivalent of a rape whistle and pepper spray, one can deduce that his anti-rejection tactic involves clubbing a woman before she can speak and then dragging her back to a cave. If anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, read the part where he tells guys to pick up women and physically set them on your lap.

He is literally a pick up artist.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If people haven't been reading the other thread here's an article about KS's response to the backlash and their explanation as to why they didn't shut it down before it ended. Basically the guy kept the really creepy stuff out of the KS description and they decided that they couldn't use off-site stuff to influence their decision. Weeeeeeaksauce.

CNN has picked up the story.

I like how the author replied to the criticism, saying that the sexual assault instructions were taken out of context and intended to be for guys who were on dates and such, as if rape magically is not rape when the girl learns your name.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Well that's a pleasant surprise. It's rare to see a company go from handwaving PR-speak to apologies, charitable donations, and panic in the course of a single day.

I guess when Al Jazeera takes time away from reporting on government corruption, war, and poverty to write about your dumb, nerdy website stirring up a sexism shitstorm, it might be time to rethink your policies. That must feel like when a professor stops in the middle of working out a huge problem on the whiteboard just to turn around and stare at you with disgust.

However, I refuse to believe that kickstarter only was notified 2 hours before the end of the project. I bet they had a thousand people report that campaign well before it blew up in the media.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Interlude posted:

Hey look guys another BBQ thermometer!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelraymond/bbiqtm-a-brain-for-your-barbecue

Actually this isn't too bad if the app works well. Not sure you can wander all that far from your grill if this depends on Bluetooth however.

I asked what the range was and they answered:

quote:

The BBiQ™ uses bluetooth to communicate with an Android or iOS device, so operating range is usually between 30 and 50 feet. If the app is logged into the BBiQ website you can also monitor your food and hear alarms from any web browser. As long as your phone or tablet is in range, you don't have to be.

I'd love a smart thermometer, and there certainly is a market for it given how guys on meat smoking forums seem to buy every thermometer that hits the market, but range is a serious issue. Range is such a sticking point that these new "long range" thermometers have been selling like hot cakes for the past year:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wire...bbq+thermometer

That's because the remote thermometers that claim 100-foot ranges have barely worked. The price on this BBiQ actually isn't bad by comparison, but you're spot on about bluetooth being an annoyance.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Minor update on American McGee's rebooted kickstarter (10 days to go and still only barely halfway funded): he registered to Reddit to promote his Kickstarter and has been obsessively self-searching and passive-aggressively picking fights with anybody who says anything bad about him or his project. The dude is even more punchable than I imagined.

While I'm pretty sure I dislike American McGee and can't quite remember why, he endured a dozen hours of Redditors picking at his corpse like vultures, answering what appears to be every loving single goddamn awful question thrown in his direction. I skimmed his post history to see if there was any instances of him humorously flipping out, but it's pretty mundane. This guy's Reddit AMA would be best narrated by Ben Stein. Can you please point out where this guy is acting "punchable"? I don't understand.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

vxskud posted:

That thing looks so incredibly lame, it's like something you see in the back to school clearance bin at Walmart in October.

You can get a really nice bag for that price at most sporting goods stores or if you want something super manly you can get an army surplus bag for like half that price.

But none of those other bags explicitly state my gender on them! How will people know my gender and the degree to which I am that gender?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Do the people backing Man-Pack not realize that you can already buy the same thing at just about any store without having to go through the embarrassment of wearing something that says "Man-Pack" on it?

Maybe they really like classic arcade games and are all dyslexic.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2117525416/supertoy-worlds-first-natural-talking-teddy-bear

:stare: This is the fakest poo poo I've ever seen.

First of all, my area of study in college was Artificial Intelligence, so I can tell you there's no way this is loving possible right now. Even IBM's Watson (A supercomputer with internet access which takes up an entire floor of a major building) can't respond NEARLY that well. We haven't solved natural language processing yet, and yet this loving teddy bear claims that it can provide detailed, syntactic, and situational conversation using nothing more than an iPhone?

:siren: SCAM ALERT. :siren:
Then since my Spidey senses were tingling I looked more closely at the video. OH HEY look, there's an edit cut after EVERY question:
She asks a question when you can hear an airplane going by. He answers clearly, no airplane.
She asks a question, her sleeves are rolled down (see the blue?) He answers, her sleeves are magically rolled up over her shoulders. HMM. :colbert:

And its not like they just forgot to mention it wasn't done yet and this was a mockup, she explicitly asks "Can you see me?" and he responds "Not right now" which implies everything else happening right now is real, but it absolutely is not. :bang:
These guys know what they're doing. They got a little girl to do the pitch video to try to obfuscate it; hoping people would be too busy going "awww" to notice how BS this is. :argh:

:laffo: So this AI is smart enough to hold a conversation and can dictate the internet to you, while filtering out inappropriate content for children? And it can tell the difference between kids and adults, and can not only fool kids, but can pass the loving Turing Test with adults? No way in hell.

This is a loving Furby. And its masquerading as C3PO.

It annoys the gently caress out of me that these brits purposely made this toy sound like Ted, from the movie. But the accent is so loving badly off that it's making me cringe with sympathetic shame. This is probably what it feels like to British people when an American tries to do a cockney accent.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Zybourne Clock posted:

If only dogs could talk so they could share their opinion on this man's attempt at building a social network for dogs. I'm pretty sure the general consensus would be "I'm a dog and have no use for your silly technology. Also, feed me treats". The ability to share medical data between veterinarians sounds useful, but despite being the most practical thing on the list it's mentioned last. I'm not a dog owner so I have no idea how common it is, but do people really set up play dates for their dogs? And if so, do they really need a specialized social network for it?

The project lead isn't afraid to speculate about the future of WoofLinks. He foresees a future where your dog can become a 'data collection platform', and wants to integrate a tiny camera into the collar so you can track your dog's day to day activity. Finally, an accurate method to keep track of how many times a day your dog licks its balls.

I totally called this in the Next Big Thing thread. :smugdog:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Elissia posted:

bubicorn!
I... what the gently caress?

It's pretty self-explanatory, man. Boobs. Unicorn. Bubicorn. I would be absolutely shocked if Bubicorn's invention didn't involve drugs. Quick. Someone put floppy dicks on a pegasus and try to compete for the same donor dollars.

Isn't Burning Man going on right now? If so, thank god. Then it'll be another 11 months before kickstarter gets loaded down with that crap again. It's not that I hate art. I just hate art that's obviously by people who have been forever surrounded by friends and relatives blatantly lying to their faces about how great of artists they are.

I'm sorry. I'm bitter. I'm sad that there's not a big festival for science nerds in the middle of the desert. We wouldn't even give a poo poo about the heat, because everyone would be wearing home-made cooling suits made from copper tubing and lego mindstorms. Instead of a burning man, there would be a giant neon Carl Sagan pointing to the stars and people would ceremonially walk up to Carl every night and charge their electronics devices.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Here's my question for that documentarian: how the gently caress do you not know the woman's name is Nicki Minaj, no e?

How dare you question Daryl Noble, indendent producer who started working from home and is now reaching out to us?

For you nonbelievers, here is some of his amazing work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4xrqgIBA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0SHMBP_NMg

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

opaopa13 posted:

She also developed Type 2 Diabetes as a result of her diet. Rather than disclose this, she continued to market her metabolic disorder-causing recipes while investing in a company whose main product is insulin for three years. She only revealed her affiliation with the company when she decided she could make more money by becoming a paid spokesperson for them.

She literally made people sick so she could sell them the cure. And she's a crazy racist who wanted to make her son's wedding "very southern" by dressing up the exclusively black waitstaff like plantation servants, but at least she hasn't yet found a way to profit off the KKK.

Or, for the fancier klansman, this one is called "Birds of a feather"

For distinguished Grand Wizards, she also has plain bright red cloths.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I would pay money for a straightforward book of recipes and tits. It should be just a regular recipe book, but instead of photos of the food, there would be nice photos of boobs, with maybe the food off to the side somewhere. Nowhere in the book would words like "breast," "boob," or "tit" be used and the nature of the photos should never even be acknowledged.

There could be spin-offs, too: A barbeque book where there's a dick on every plate. Some flaccid, some engorged. All of them casually right next to some good-looking barbequed meats, as if they belong there; as if this is how barbeque has been done for ages and you've only just noticed. The Vegetarian Bible will be an 18 inch coffee table book with Wayne Gretzky's ballsack hidden on every page. It would be like Where's Waldo, but where Waldo is actually nuts. An appetizer handbook would feature an rear end in a top hat on every page. It would not even show full butt cheeks, just a single brown eye hovering somewhere near each appetizer, stoic, unbleached. Here's your bacon-wrapped jalapeno shrimp and that's a butthole. Just go with it, man.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Apparently it is important that everyone know this project is notgay:

:crossarms:

Hey, that's really great of them for being able to turn their gay partnership into a business.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

UncleSmoothie posted:

What are the MegaTokyo guy's health issues? Not looking for WebDog-level investigation.

Well, as an example of one major medical symptom, he drew MegaTokyo.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

neongrey posted:

Anyway, this obviously isn't serious, but here it is, the natural endpoint of all of these minimalist wallet kickstarters.

Flexible funding, I see. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

TTBF posted:

It's not just tech stuff. There used to be a really bad taco place near me called iTaco.

Say what you will, but I, Taco was one of Isaac Asimov's more interesting short stories. Right off the bat, it introduced the Three Laws of Tacotics, where a taco must satisfy human hunger, must contain delicious shredded or ground meats, and should obey all orders to get the hell into my mouth right now.

Of course we all knew where Asimov was going with this and that the rest of I, Taco would be about tacos rebelling, breaking the rules and growing even more delicious as they became spicy tacos locos.