Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got the 3DS version (even though I stopped playing the Wii version at the second tier). How do I check what charm table I have?

e: Oh nice, I start with each of the intro weapons?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gobbledygoat posted:

Did they decrease the health of monsters in this game? I don't remember massacring the little jaggis in one hit. I can also finish the great jaggi and bear dude in under 5 minutes with only the metal bagpipes +??

I was just going to ask this myself; I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be taking out Jaggis in three shots with the starting sword & shield. (Yes I use S&S because I'm a button tapper)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are bows viable when you're playing solo? I'm having a hard time getting the "feel" of the bow's strength, and R-aiming is kind of rough on the 3DS.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just captured my first Arzuros and got Cha-Cha. Look who's a real monster hunter now. :smuggo:

Question: is there a trick or something to breaking Great Jaggi's head? I need two frills because I want the full Jaggi biker armor but I don't seem to be able to do enough damage to the head to get the carve. At least, I don't think I am; I did get a head off my first G. Jaggi kill but I can't tell if I'm breaking the head or not.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bussamove posted:

If you break his head, his frill will get all ragged and full of holes, it's pretty obvious once you know what to look for. If you've been getting a reward in the lower half of the reward list that's colored teal, you've been breaking it. Sometimes bad luck just happens with drops.

Ah, then I have been breaking the head, I've just been "lucky" and getting the rare drops. Got it.

Is there a list of what monsters you can get which items off of? I think I'm at the point where I need to start doing some weapon upgrades because the bone gear dulls way too quickly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

Its NOT a carve! Its a capture drop. Or I guess rewards screen but there is no rewards screen for a free hunt, so you have to cap to get it (I think).

Not according to this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ ^ Thanks for the confirmation.

pixaal posted:

Its not listed under carve its listed under a break. You don't get a break unless you get a rewards screen. If you free hunt (moga woods, where you probably are running into them) you don't get a rewards screen. You do get one if you capture then talk to that guy though. I killed about 15 of them and got none. (they die easily so its not like a huge waste of time). Every time I have broken that stupid mane then captured them I've gotten it. Get 5 perception gems and shove them into your gear then paintball him. He dies too fast to see the limp half the time.

(I guess this could be confirmation bias and I'm horribly wrong).

Gah, dangit, so I have to keep doing the "Hunt the G.Jaggi" quest to get the frill? That's annoying. Although I suppose it's good practice for later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bussamove posted:

As an upside, you probably have plenty of Giant Skulls to trade to the Argosy for rare stuff. :v:

Nope, just got one. I haven't done too many freehunts yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I'm seeing why people call Lance "easy mode". I'm doing Greatsword damage but I'm a lot more mobile, and the Autoguard talisman I got keeps kicking in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'd be curious to see the sales numbers on mh3u, and I certainly wouldn't mind MH4 sometime before 2015
Honestly, I think reducing the monster hp for early quests and giving access to all the base weapons from the start really helps. I played MH3 on the Wii, and even early on it felt like it took forever to kill a loving Jaggia. On the Wii it felt like it took me forever to get to the two-star quests and that's pretty much where I stopped, but on the 3DS it feels like it didn't take much time to get to the 3-star level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now that I've finished all the one-star and two-star village quests, when should I start doing the port quests? I know they're "group" quests, but can I solo them?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is it worth grinding the Bnahabra set for a gunner? Trying to get the carapices and such seems to be a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Also I wish I'd know getting Sap Plants was such a pain or I would've thrown them in the farm instead of just using the one I had for a bomb casing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Norns posted:

Get a Circle Pad Pro. Solved all my camera issues.

This is going to sound really loving stupid, but how do I get the game to recognize the CPP?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:doh: Thanks guys.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh my loving god Qurupeco can gently caress right the gently caress off. Oh, you're using Dual Swords and didn't bring a shitton of nullberries? Hope you like wasting a half hour bouncing off the loving thing and dying to fire DoTs! :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Fireblight works under the same constraints that fire does in real life, so stop, drop, and roll about three times :ssh:

Oh goddammit.

Is it better to use slashing or impact weapons on Qurupeco? Because I was bouncing a lot with DS, and I don't know if that was because it was too touch, or because my weapon wasn't powerful enough (Chief's Scythes).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You mean...I'm at the point where I can't just get in something's face and mash the X button anymore? :ohdear:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got my full set of Wroggi armor; I don't think I can put off fighting Qurupeco much longer.

Does anyone know which S&S this is?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

e: VVV That's the wroggi SnS, the Dirty Baron. You should be able to make it straight from the forge menu. It's a High Rank weapon though, so you might have to rank up a few times.

Yeah, it hasn't appeared as an option yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yesssss first Qurupeco kill!

I guess all that time grinding a Wroggi set paid off in training me to attack from the side and dodge-roll.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Slime is applied similar to how statuses are applied. Every few hits the slime effect will trigger and a green, yellow or red (depends on how much slime has been applied to the monster cumulatively since the last explosion) splooge of slime will pop up. After a certain amount of slime has been applied to a monster, all the parts which have been slimed (you can slime each seperate hitbox of a monster - eg for brachydios, his head, body, arms, each leg and tail) will explode, dealing a set amount of damage to the parts previously slimed. The rate at which monsters get slimed is only affected by the monsters' resistance to slime, and the amount of damage is only affected by the Bombardier skill.

Jeez, that sounds like it'd be pretty nasty on Dual Swords.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good lord Royal Ludroth is a loving slog. It felt like it took a lot longer than it should have, although I'm pretty sure part of that is because I was using S&S. I also realize that I need to start using more of the tools I have available like Might Seeds and traps/bombs even on hunts, because right now I just get in there and start slicing until the monster stops moving.

Still, progress! :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just want to say gently caress Gobul and that whole fight. That was the most unfun thing I've done so far in this game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

I forget sometimes that MH is a recursive loop of preperation. I'm now in the process of upgrading a hunting horn. to farm parts to upgrade a switchaxe specifically to get Gobul Fin+ in order to upgrade my horn

Tell me about it; I'm slowly learning what my "prep kit" should be; I just learned the hard way that I should be bringing Psychoserums along after doing three loops through the F. Forest looking for Gobul.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

Get the Fluffy mask for your Cha Cha. You basically don't need Pyschoserums or even really paintballs (unless you use Capture Guru) at that point.

The mask description says that Cha-Cha won't attack when he's wearing it; will he still distract monsters?

I just found these two "Beginners Guide to Monster Hunter" videos which are really good. The second video really breaks down everything you wanted to know about captures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LN570LBJOY

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just got the first Lagiacrus quest. :ohdear: Is Dual Swords/S&S practical for him, or should I start training with the hammer?

e: What armor set should I move up to from the Wroggi set?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You get Cha-Cha after you complete the two-star village quests.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: ^ ^ ^ That's pretty much the fight where they teach you to not attack from the front.

Wow, gently caress you Rathian fight. Three full stacks of healing items and I don't even know if I got him staggered before I failed. I feel like I spent half that fight dizzied or reeling back from the scream/landing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Soon as I posted I found like five Wroggi Scales so all good there. Now, carpenterbugs again :shepicide:

Hell, carpenterbugs are easy. You can usually get one or two in the little Felyne village in the Moga Woods area 4.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mcpringles posted:

Wroggi armor works great on Rathian. It has fire resist and poison immunity.

Also a great tip for Rathian and probably others. If you go to area 8 in D Forest and pick up the egg Rathian will fly there from wherever she is. As soon as she starts leaving pick it up and she'll come right back.
I actually have a full Wroggi set leveled up as far as I can get with normal Armor Spheres. I took more damage from getting tail-whipped or that drat stomping attack.

I get the impression that Rathian is a "The Real Monster Hunter Begins Here" moment; it's where you really have to start approaching with a plan past "flail weapon at monster" and using all the tools available.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That's really useful! Just a suggestion: should mud/snow be added to the "on player" effects?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, did you know you can capture monsters when on a hunt mission? I didn't! :downs:

So anyway I gave Longsword a whirl since I was compelled to make the chainsword, and I still feel like I'm missing something. I like DS/S&S because they're faster and give me better maneuverability, but the problem I have with the Longsword is the same one I have with Lances; I feel like if I'm not lined up exactly I'm going to always miss. At least with the small blades I get the horizontal slashes so I have a little leeway.

I get that I can swing the longsword with the R button, but I don't know if I'm using it right with the normal combos. I think I just need to play with it more, but is there a decent LS guide floating around? I don't know if I'm ready to swap the faster attacks and Auto-Guard charm for the big-rear end chainsaw katana.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fuxxo posted:

I am now dual wielding chainsaws this is the greatest game ever made.

What's the name of the dual chainsaws? I need to make those.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Found something pretty great. I dare you guys to sit through even half of this Zinogre fight.

Why do the most tone deaf people love singing? And why do they think we want to hear it? Take a drink any time he goes more than about 3 minutes without breaking into song.
Because most LPers are more involved in setting up their "LPing personality/style" over the actual game they're LPing.

quote:

I've never seen someone just walk up to a monster's face and start attacking it. Especially with a Long Sword. Or completely ignore monster tells. Dude will just stand in front of a monster that's not doing an attack animation and quaff a potion. 9 times out of 10 he gets charged into, negating all the healing he just did. He never learns from any of his mistakes.
Sadly, I'm still more-or-less in this learning phase (even with the longsword), although I've graduated from "get in face" to "go to the side, dodge when the monster starts a tell". But then, I haven't even faced Lagi yet.

I mean, at the point that guy's at, I'm assuming he went through the village quests so he's fought Wroggi and Qurupeco, the two monsters whose job it is to teach you the hard way not to fight things head-on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wow, Lagisarius doesn't like it when you slam the Peco fire hammer in his face.

Start of the fight: "Holy poo poo that thing is huge! This is gonna suck!"
Five minutes into the fight: "Yeah you better run!" :black101:

Now to choose between grinding Gigginox or Rathian...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Do monsters in online quests have more health? I just solo'd the Peco quest and it felt like it took a lot longer than normal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

YESSSS Battled and caught my first Rathian! :black101: I love how badass this game makes me feel when I take down a huge monster for the first time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

\/\/\/ Thanks. Not sure what Deserted Island is, but I can check some out in Plains. \/\/\/

Deserted Island is the same thing as the Moga Woods. It's just called the "Deserted Island" when you go there on a quest.

e:

MaxiCalifornia posted:

Captured my first rathian just now as well! I think the rathian fight was when I finally started to really enjoy the hunts. All of the 1 star through 3 star monsters died really quickly, and their gimmicks weren't very interesting. I had no idea that the rathian poisons the first time you fight it, and it took all of my potions to stay alive. And, yeah, I felt incredibly badass when I finally took it down. I'm on the 3DS, so I can only imagine how fun it must be to play with 3 other people :(.
Craft a set of full Wroggi armor, never get poisoned again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there a better way to get ice crystals than doing the F. Forest gathering tour? I'm lucky if I get one or two crystals a run.

(I did get a Slime C+ +6 charm, whatever that is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got my first Rustshard! And it was a bone axe. :smithicide:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Buy them from the lady with the huge backpack for 600z each
Oh, nice, I've got more cash than I know what to do with right now.

• Locked thread