Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not ashamed to say I would like to see more recipes. That Reuben dip looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Just in case anyone is unfamiliar, that is beef fat, and the white chunks are congealed beef fat, from a fantastic thread about the evils of carbs and how a slice of bread will cause irreparable damage.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Ramen + ketchup packets + soy sauce packets = Dorm Room Pad Thai

That's probably 1 lb of salt. I can't imagine anyone eating that and enjoying it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VogeGandire posted:

You speak as a man who hasn't made ramen in a kettle.

5 minutes in a microwave in a large enough bowl works easily enough.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130430005625/en/Jones-Soda-Dishes-Canadian-Delicacy

POUTINE SODA.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Onion Knight posted:

EpicMealTime. I know this because I was in college at the height of their popularity and the nerdy-as-gently caress volunteer service fraternity I was in held a "bake sale" on campus where we got pretty drunk and cooked a bunch of food like that and played up the characters and just generally had a good time with it.
I'm forgetting all of what we cooked but I remember that one was a bacon-wrapped embutido, some deep fried kimchi bombs wrapped in thin battered beef, and near the end deep fried oreos in a jack and beer batter.

I had a little slice of the embutido and a few of the oreos but I couldn't eat too much more. I mean ultimately a lot of that stuff tastes pretty good but you're not eating it for obvious reasons. I gained a certain... respect? For the Epic Meal Time guys because they apparently eat everything they make, which would take some serious dedication.

It was a huge success, though. We ended up making a ton of money, but really it was just because we were riding the coattails of youtube celebrities as they were blowing up.

I'm pretty sure they had to stop that after they started making 20-30 pound meals. Muscle-glasses (the short jacked dude always wearing glasses) apparently would eat the most by far then just work out for 4-5 hours a day.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Make some Indian food. Since it's best eaten with multiple dishes alternated between, it'll both teach her to love leftovers and allow you to make a long-term food plan with plenty of variety. I usually have 3-4 types of dal or other easily reheated Indian food in my fridge, and naan is easy enough to make that I don't think I have any excuse not to make it. In 20 minutes I can have a 3-entree meal heated up, with rice and/or couscous and/or naan to go with. You can also make pakoras or dosa with the leftovers, which is the best thing ever.

Target stores have a ton of pre-made ethnic food packages that are crazy easy to make and fairly mild to people not familiar with spicy foreign food. It's 3 packs of food products, you mix and add to taste and its leagues ahead of most prepackaged American meals.

It's incredibly easy to simmer the sauces and mix in a protein (chicken, tofu, pork) and make a full dinner meal. Once that becomes a staple of her diet, you can introduce her to actual Indian food.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Hahaha "traditional American cuisine."

It's meat. It's just a lot of meat.

Applebee's and Red Robin. That's as traditional American as it gets, and its all borderline garbage.

There are incredibly great regional cuisines, like Creole, Southern style, BBQ, New England seafood, etc. But there will never be an American-style restaurant in other countries that is anything more then a joke or a local curiosity. The only exception is a American Steakhouse, which seems to be fairly popular theme but heavily depends on the quality of the meat being served.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kinmik posted:

The second I saw this, all moisture in my mouth disappeared; my tongue shriveled like a scared slug. This thing looks drier than the Gobi.

And I'm pretty certain that's the pasta from the 99 cent blue easy mac boxes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

If he didn't add so much kool-aid it would probably taste decent. Salty as gently caress from the ramen mix, the slim jims, and the pork rinds, but nothing else too bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pomp posted:

What does a dutch apple pie entail over there? Over here it's something really tasty involving a crumbled mess on the top instead of a solid crust.

Most people would know Dutch apple pies from a Burger King menu item, it's an apple pie with thin crust and some crumbly bits on top.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

I think a lot of people fighting over whether or not we Americans know what meat pies are and about sweet potato casserole are totally forgetting that the US is a humongous country divided into 50 different parts that tend to be vastly different from each other even across short distances, much less the huge distances Alaska and Hawaii are from the continental states.

I forget, has the venerable mayonnaise sandwich come up in the thread? Two slices of white bread, between which is a thick layer of (usually Hellmann's) mayonnaise.

Ugh.

I could see 2 pieces of bread with a mayo spread on it like peanut butter, but that's "poor southern cuisine". Other simple dishes consist of a toast sandwich and a sugar sandwich.

Bacon butties are also a thing, but that's poor UK food.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Only one country could have invented the deep fried battered mars bar.

To be fair, no one in Scotland eats it, they sell it to the tourists who've heard about it and want to try "Scottish Food"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

http://honeybeesweets88.blogspot.ca/2011/11/steamed-flower-tofu-and-pear-soup-with.html

I was at a hotel in Kuching, Malaysia, and they had deep-fried century eggs, which I didn't know because every non-Western food had labels written in Malay and Arabic. I took one to try, but when I cut it open, I just couldn't do it. Didn't help that I was slightly hungover and that thing wasn't making that any better.

Century eggs actually taste pretty good. The smell will turn your stomach but the taste is actually fairly pleasant. Although you spend the next few hours desperately holding back any burps.

A lot of those preserved foods aren't meant to be entire alone, its one of those "dare to do things". Durian can be made into some pretty tasty dishes but trying to eat it fresh by itself is nearly impossible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dilb posted:

Lactose is water-soluble, and it mostly gets washed out of cheese. If anything, Asians ought to prefer cheese to other forms of dairy. And despite whatever lactose-intolerance they have, dairy is a government supported food in Japan. So I dunno, somehow it doesn't seem to bother them.

I've read about Chinese people specifically not liking blue cheese, not because they don't like pungent things, but because it's the 'wrong' sort of pungency. There's also a bit of nationalism, as cheese is thought of as a Mongolian food.

In recent years Chinese people have been going crazy for imported US/European cheeses, to the point where China is trying to establish a Chinese dairy industry.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/02/say-cheese-china-s-new-obsession.html

quote:

Cheese hasn’t historically been a part of Chinese cuisine, and as China has opened up cheese has taken longer to catch on than other Western foods because the taste of cheese is so exotic to the Chinese palate.

“Five years ago the Chinese were eating virtually no cheese,” says Alan Levitt, vice president of communications for the U.S. Dairy Export Council. Now, like all things China, the numbers are shooting through the roof. America sent less than 2,000 metric tons of cheese to China in 2009. “Last year we were at 11,000,” Levitt says.

At Enoterra, a fancy Shanghai wine and cheese place, in the past the customers would order the cheese platter just to order it, maybe take a bite or two, now are finishing the entire plate, save for blue cheese or other "strong" cheeses.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Nov 27, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

this is the one time something like that on the internet was NOT uploaded as a sex thing - it was uploaded by noted food historian Ivan Day just to show what historical jellies looked like in practice and how their wobbling was a novelty for the 18th century aristos who popularized them

however the 18th century aristos were probably amused by it as a sex thing
and at least some of the youtube views have probably been jerking off to it
so intent means nothing; everything on the internet is a sex thing eventually

Rich European upper class people were obsessed with jelly/gelatin based foods from the 1700s up until the late 1800s. Most of it tasted like complete poo poo and was literally expensive food stuck in a mold to look impressive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

Man, this probably tastes fine, like a puffed rice chocolate bar... but it just looks gross.

I honestly thought those were Cheetos for a second.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapman the Cook posted:

I used to see things on TV about Americans never having fresh fruit, knot knowing was certin vegetables were,never having eaten a real orange. And then Obama got made fun of for asking for Dijon mustard on something.
The main US food discussion I ever come across is just fast food talk. Or meat heavy with pointless sides.

Completely bizarre and food impoverished place, as far as I can tell.

The right wing stills tries to push the idea that things like sushi, arugula, and spices are the food of the stuck-up liberal, and real Americans only eat ground beef, ketchup, potatoes, and PB&J sandwiches.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

This is loving delicious when its straight from the oven.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

This looks good, though. I guess you could avoid the cabbage when applying gravy, but otherwise I am not seeing the problem.

Yeah, that's just old fashioned British home-cooking. Beef, cabbage,potatoes, yorkshire pudding, all covered in a half gallon of beef gravy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

diabeetz posted:

do beans have their place in nachos?

Is that Doobie's new menu?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Another pic from the old goon low carb thread:

The low carb thread itself is a testament to the stupidity of people who internet research a topic then speak like they personally have the authority of 30 years experience as a doctor.

It was also a great "idiot mod gets demodded" thread and for the 26 year old who starting mainlining grease while the thread cheered him on 6 months later developing a life threatening cholesterol problem and getting prescribed statins.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Tastes like sand? Oh, that pear's not ripe, dude. Did you ask for a refund?

Gypsy son of a bitch gave you a jack pear.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PyroDwarf posted:

That Brick reminded me of this Sweet and Sour Pork recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgF97c6DZk

Kool-aid isn't just for color.

It doesn't sound too bad in practice(ramen with crunchy, sweetness, and spicy), aside from all that Kool-aid, but his reaction after that first bite is just "I'm so loving glad I'm out of prison" and it's even better because he was excited to taste it after so long.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

:):hf::) My favorite stories are the ones from early in his life, specifically the angry bride (I don't usually laugh out loud at books but goddamn) and how he burned his hand in the kitchen and asked for some ointment after spending all day talking himself up like he was some sort of badass.

Goddamn, I love that book. Those of you interested in food and good storytelling who haven't already read it should pick it up--used copies on Amazon are available for under a dollar. He's a drat talented writer. It feels like you're right there with him, ankle-deep in pasta.

The best part was a lot of the "standard" things he talked about in the restaurant business, (fish on Mondays, recycling untouched bread) was completely unknown to the public and during press interviews with other chefs (like world class chefs) they actually backed him up on it. He really paints a picture of the catering business as loving brutal to 99% of the employees and taking advantage of consumers at every opportunity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dillbag posted:

The secret to making spam edible is to fry it. That's some tasty poo poo.

Like with all pre-cooked and canned foods, simply cooking it for a few minutes is the difference between cold garbage and a decent flavor. All you need are spices, sauces, hot sauce, etc. and you can get actual flavor from it. Eating food straight from the can is literally the laziest thing imaginable, and even Campbells Chicken Soup can be vastly improved with some pepper and spices by a huge degree.

Scrapple is also another "trash" food product that can easily be made into a meal with a little bit of work and will taste delicious with a bit of cooking. If you leave near a Hispanic grocery or local deli you can get meat byproducts for insanely cheap and make a meal for pennies.

People living off frozen foods and pre-made meals don't realize that its at most 10-20 minutes of their day simply heating and stirring something to get far better food, and then whine and bitch about how hard it is to cook. You can bake chicken breasts in 30-40 minutes while you do something else then drop it on the plate with whatever else you have, and it''ll be much healthier then and fast-food meal you can imagine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PubicMice posted:

Wouldn't be that hard, considering

e: Also, The Supersizers is a series featuring lots of awful, awful food.

The Supersizers is great because there's always a food historian to talk about the cuisine and how back then food was less about taste and eating and more a visual display of wealth and power.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Even if you could, why would you put a face on bologna? And who the gently caress eats bologna with tomato sauce?

edit: Haha thanks Wikipedia, apparently it's the australian version of sending your kid to school with a soggy PB&J "Typical uses of Devon by parents include sending their kids to school with the "Devon and Tomato Sauce" variety of sandwich, generally much to the chagrin of the child involved and has been known to contribute to schoolyard bullying [1]"

Not even tomato sauce, for most Americans ketchup is the "mother sauce" of their cuisine.

The "sketti" recipe for the Honey Boo Boo family was pasta, and 1 to 1 butter and ketchup sauce.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

im pooping! posted:

So am I hosed up for liking hot dogs? Isn't that like the all-american food?

Only if you cut them up into little pieces and eat them with a fork.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hot dogs and sausages are actually a pretty decent food. It's made from the leftover pork trimmings so you're eating the trash meat which is a smart idea for min-maxing food production efficiency.

And I freely admit I was completely wrong about ketchup, ranch is definitely the be all end all of US condiments.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Just looks super-barbecued to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silkie

Different species of bird.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

empty sea posted:

As for anti-food, I make a good ham and bean soup that everyone seems grossed out by. It's smoked ham hocks and black eyed peas in a crockpot for 12 hours with cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper. I add hot sauce and cheese, crumble in corn bread. It's so good, especially the softened cartilage, it tastes like a superbomb of pork flavor with the texture of jelly. No one will eat it with me. No one will eat beef tongue tacos with me, either. Wtf

Those people have gutter palettes. Beef tongue is insanely tasty and you could feed it to someone and tell them it was shredded sirloin and they'd gobble it up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Garlic has a pretty bad reputation in Japan. Derogatory terms for Koreans for centuries was "garlic-eaters"

Garlic is an odd food. It's a staple of French, Chinese, Greek/Turkish cuisine along with many others, which is a wide spread for such a potent spice/additive and yet other people treat it like literal garbage.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

It sounds gross, but I've made it before and you cook the garlic down till it actually tastes sweet and loses all of the rankness people hate.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Feb 26, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Bourdain was/is basically the OG food hipster. Able to write some elegant prose about a $300 tasting menu, greasy Chinese takeout, and everything in between, but God help you if you take him to anything remotely kitschy or touristy.

There were a few times in the later seasons where he'd make a joke about Zimmern eating everything and he can't let himself get shown up so Bourdain eats the odder foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fo3 posted:

No, fatty foods. So I stand by my statement that I'm never going to have a deep fried big mac.

If you drink enough alcohol to have a genuine worry about pancretitis all you have to do is quit drinking for a few months, let your body recover, and then make sure not to binge(5-10 drinks I believe) more then once a week. Fatty foods aren't really a big trigger so much as becoming obese from said foods is a major cause.

• Locked thread