Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What can I watch that's got wuxia influences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

wielder posted:

If you can accept a relatively liberal interpretation...I'd recommend the Giant Robo OVA, which actually has more martials arts combat than purely mecha action and was in fact influenced by wuxia. It's also very good in general too.

I haven't seen much, but I have seen that and quite enjoyed it. It hadn't occurred to me to think of it as wuxia-inspired, but I see it now, what with all the stylish superpowers and individual tragedies. Even the presence of the giant robot in it worked well, but at the moment I think I would prefer action that remains on the human scale, so G Gundam will have to wait until later. What else you got?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Studio Ghibli's "Whisper of the Heart" is a very pure romance, though possibly more abrupt than you describe.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

Not true hardcore wuxia, but has martial arts and a decent story.

This is the first of these suggestions I've tried, and while it isn't what I thought I wanted (slower, for one thing), it's really hitting the spot. Good suggestion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School is brilliant. Well-dubbed, too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I felt like watching something, so I considered coming here to ask. This time I paid attention to the title, and began watching Legend of Galactic Heroes several days ago. I'm enjoying it so far, and my concerns about keeping track of all the characters in a story of this size seem like they were unfounded. Thanks, this thread!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'd like to thank this thread for telling me to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes. I'd been meaning to, and now that I'm about a dozen episodes in, I'm finding it most satisfactory.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

WickedHate posted:

How about a good comedy anime? I'm planning on buying a lot and so far the stuff on my list is a lot of fighting and action, and I want to have a more varied collection.

The best comedy anime is Cromartie High School. Watch the dub.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

I dunno. I felt that Kamiyama's voice actor wasn't nearly as good in the dub. Half the humor I got from the character was from how clipped and polite his speech was compared to the rest of the cast. Also, Norio Wakamoto as Mechazawa.

But yes, Cromartie owns.

It's mostly that the dub uses a different translation with generally excellent comedic timing. The subtitles lean more heavily on the absurdism, but the dub doesn't exactly diminish that aspect either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

So I'm watching LOGH and about 16 episodes in and it's finally starting to hit me, the animation is bad, but the story is great. Tell me, does the animation get any better, seeing as this is a show that ran for 10 years?

Most episodes are animated economically, but it brings out the budget when the situation warrants. It gets a lot of mileage out of conversations and fleet maneuvers, but in the "season" finales there's usually some sudden flourishes of detail to underscore the emotion.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's not very serious, but Lupin the Third is on Hulu.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Looking for recommendations on anime that has the main protagonist, male or female not be a wuss and actually feel like he is somewhat powerful/has strength and not be ridiculously op. i.e they can hold their own against poo poo.

Examples:

Guts from Berserk (not too op but he isn't a pussy)
Kinji aria the scarlet ammo (sure he has a special power but he isn't a total whiny wuss most of the time)
Touma Certain magical index (A little OP but it isn't an instant win for him all the time)
Raishin Unbreakable Machine doll (Probably the perfect guy, not ridiculously op but not too weak and not a whiny bitch)

Fist of the North Star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

"Not ridiculously OP" doesn't really describe Kenshiro at all.

Sometimes he likes to let the mooks think their cute little tricks will work, and really, their squirming and subsequent karmic downfall is part of the fun. Plus, most of the main villains even gain the upper hand for a while.

Edit: More to the point, although it isn't technically exactly what was asked for, it is in spirit an action show that escapes (predates, really) many of the tiresome cliches of the genre. Its protagonist is stoic, compassionate, merciless, and not an idiot, and while he does have a lot of bullshit powers, he only ever wins by being a more skilled fighter. He has a million ways to ruin some thug's day, but the enemies that are supposed to feel like credible threats manage to do so without getting into any nonsense about power levels.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 11, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

True, it would be worth it at least for me to give it a 5 episode test. Like Touma from certain magical index in the end is actually ridiculously OP considering what he can do but its not a cakewalk for him to win, due to situation or the antagonists.

Sakurazuka posted:

The worst thing about the Fist of the North Star anime is that it follows the manga for about three episodes then gives us something like 15 or 20 episodes of filler before it gets back on track. Some of it is admittedly hilarious filler though.

This is very true. The early filler does not give you a very strong indication of what you're in for. It has a drat good first episode, but the filler does more shallow villain-of-the-week stuff and fewer tragic megalomaniac arc villains.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Try Sword of the Stranger.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do they wear pants in Diebuster?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

So, on this thread's recommendation I looked into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I loved the first two arcs, but five episodes in to Stardust Crusaders I can't get into it - weird spirit things with powers just bores me.

So I have two questions for recommendations

1. what is a good anime about big people punching people. A lot.

2. Are there any anime with characters who bullshit their enemies as much as Joseph did? They could be actual masterminds or just pretend to, but playing mindgames with the opponent is great.

You want Fist of the North Star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Widestancer posted:

Can someone describe Homestuck for me?

What you ask is theoretically possible, but to my knowledge has never been attempted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a bad, dangerous idea to even bring it up outside of its thread, unless you're going to be using much more obvious jokes than that. You don't want to risk a poster who will answer the question sincerely showing up and doing that all over your thread. Not even in ADTRW.

I have a question. Apart from Lupin the 3rd and Golgo 13, what animes have good heists or other elaborately-planned crimes?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So, it's kind of a forums' no-no to talk about Homestuck outside of its own thread? :doh: Figures that I had to stick that foot straight into my mouth without realizing.

Regarding your question / request, check out Daughter of Twenty Faces.

This is not forums advice, but life advice. Thank you for your recommendation.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a show with a talking cat who is a huge jerk.

I've seen Darker Than Black, Nichijou, and Natsume Yujin-cho. Don't suggest Nyan Koi.

Nekojiru Gekijou.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

inexpensive meal posted:

I hadn't really watched anime until recently. I really, really am enjoying Lain, what else would be in this vein? I like the oppressive atmosphere, the thoughtful themes, the deliberate pace of it.

This is going to be kind of an uncommon recommendation, but if it's thoughtfulness and deliberation you're after, have you considered Legend of Galactic Heroes?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If anybody doesn't want to deal with the baggage, then they should heed the wisdom of this thread's title.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

But you gently caress one goat....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If not Jojo, then Fist of the North Star.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Cat Soup" is only 30 minutes long.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m9CcnL9FEk

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thread title is not a joke.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50-fWCXvhAY

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People have told me to watch Patlabor in the context of procedurals, but I have yet to find time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

can anyone recommend an anime to get this thread back on track

Gegege no Kitaro, the black-and-white 1960s version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is probably an impossible request, but are there any decent dramas that

a) aren't set in a highschool
b) aren't creepy weird pedoshit
c) aren't romances

I'm talking about stuff that's about the Issues, Man, rather than genre pieces that are either meta-aware or vehicles for (cod) philosophical tracks. Not that I don't eat that stuff up, but I miss my vegetables once in a while. Wondering if anime's got anything like that to chew on.

Basically, does anime have an equivalent to American History X, The Ice Storm, or Coffee and Cigarettes?

I'm willing to overlook corollary a) if the work's got something interesting to say about highschool.

Have you considered the anime that is correctly listed in this thread's title?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lallander posted:

I'm looking for good, short anime. Ones that tell a full story in 10-20 episodes or thereabouts. I'm not so concerned with what genre it is. I love fantasy, science fiction, adventure, and all of that. Any good story will do though.

Giant Robo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

littleorv posted:

Can someone recommend me an anime with a decent dub please? I need something to watch while I try and sleep.

Cromartie High School.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zwingley posted:

So I have a lot of free time and am looking for more stuff to watch. Two kinds of things, probably. Firstly, I'm wanting stuff with high reward, "magnificent bastard" moments from a clever main character that might be a bit of a prick.

Have you looked at this thread's title recently? You may be surprised.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Looking for a three part recommendation for myself, my wife, and for the both of us. We both got introduced through Miyazaki films and tried wading into the series with some really pleasant results. Up to this point we've just been trying a hit or miss technique on Netflix and Crunchyroll but it's a lot more miss than hit lately.

The shows I've really enjoyed have been Planetes, Monster, Mushishi, Kids on the Slope, Akagi, Bartender, Kino's Journey, Legend of Galactic Heroes and Stein's Gate

My wife, on the other hand really digs the more heartstring-pulling varieties where (in her words) " the geeky, awkward protagonist gets SOME kind of romantic resolution in the end". Her favorites are Lovely Complex, Kimi ni Todoke, Clannad, Angel Beats and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

The ones we both enjoy are usually comedies or more light-hearted fare: Nichijou, Daily Lives of High School Boys, Death Parade, D-Frag! Hibeke Euphonium,(more her taste than mine, but gently caress if that's not a beautifully animated show). We both are aggressively enjoying Non Non Biyori, the anime equivalent of a cup of chamomille tea, and Ore Monogatari.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and would help us to avoid the Cross Ange's of this world.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can someone recommend me a shounen with a shitload of episodes that also has character development

EDIT: Something on Netflix or Crunchyroll would be ideal since those are the only sources of ANIMES I have.

Fist of the North Star.

But not Fist of the North Star 2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I will vouch for Moribito being good, and not bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a burning need for isolated episodes of garbage anime. Just the worst things you've got. Cheap animation, questionable themes, lame jokes, obnoxious characters - anything goes, as long as isn't also slow-paced (boredom is not what I'm looking for). My intention is to pick something at random from the middle, so if context is necessary to grasp the full depth of its badness, that's a mark against it. Being old is a plus.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 16, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

I'm not really a big anime watcher, but I just finished kyousogiga after seeing it in the GIF thread and I really enjoyed it. Any recommendations on more serious or mature story-telling series like this? Stuff like school boy unlocks special powers + many upskirt shots immediately turns me off of a series, and I find myself having to watch like 20 pilots before finding something I can stick with.

Other things I've enjoyed over the years:
FMA: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Berserk

If you like mature storytelling, look no further than this thread's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

If you liked the fun, charming, and wistful story of kyousougiga, stay far away from the thread title

Warning against Legend of Galactic Heroes is something you should only do to someone you hate.

• Locked thread