Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everything I liked about Durarara was in the two OVA episodes. I found the series proper somewhat lackluster, but then I also never watched Baccano either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This might be an odd request, but I have both read the manga and seen the anime for Tokyo Mew Mew a long time ago and remember liking it well enough as a young girl. Which would be better on a re-watch or read?

On that note, are there any recommendations for magical girl series on the more lighthearted side like it or Cardcaptor Sakura? I guess I'm mostly looking to capture the same sense of nostalgia, but I'm open to anything.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Seanightjar posted:

Looking for something similar to Mushi-shi in the story per episode and interesting setting way.

xxxHolic has a similar pattern of supernatural stories, though it is set in the modern day. It's probably best to ignore anything after the second season since it draws more on the last third of the manga, which is... convoluted to say the least.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend some light, chill comedies and romances? I recently read through/caught up with Bonnouji, Horimiya, and some similar stuff from the Convince thread, and I'm itching for more. Specifically I liked that neither of those really screwed around for years with the main couple being unable to confess to each other, but that's probably just stereotyping more than stuff that actually happens in good romance manga.

I'm not sure you can call Daily Lives of High School Boys exactly chill since it does tend to rely on comedy through overreaction shots, but it's a slice-of-life show I found funny enough to carry itself for all of its 12-episode run even though I'm not usually one for slice-of-life shows.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been re-reading Reborn! lately. I lost interest back when it was still running because the Ten Years Later arc just dragged and dragged on a week-to-week basis, which bummed me out because I usually love time travel stories. But since the series is long over and done with, I figured I might as well see where it went. I've gotten to the start of the TYL arc again in the manga and don't have high hopes. Would it be better to stick to that or would it be worth switching to the anime instead?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Well, since it's already over, you might as well stick to the manga. This used to be my niece's favorite ongoing series and I can't honestly tell if she was trolling the gently caress out of me or she had the patience of a saint because holy crap. The anime is completely forgettable and marred with the same problems that the source material and, well, pretty much any other long-running WSJ adaptation (except probably Gintama).

Well, the men are very pretty. :v:

That's disappointing, but I can't say I was expecting much else. Thanks for the head's up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

Level E doesn't really get good until post episode 3.

But god drat does it get good.

Episode 3 was great though, I will fight you. :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Guyver posted:

It is. It may not have proper source material like a book or comic but Blood-C was created by Clamp for IG. So I doubt they were making the show by the seat of their pants like most original TV anime.

Didn't Clamp just do the character designs, like they did with Code Geass?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

wielder posted:

I believe one of them actually wrote Blood-C.

Huh, apparently so. Mea culpa.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

Hi, non-anime fan here. I'm not very big on anime, but I watched a couple recently on netflix that were great and I want to see more like them. I watched Samurai Champloo which was really good, and also Trigun and the trigun movie, which I also thought was really good. I've also been watching Space Dandy as it comes out and I love it, and I know Watanabe made Cowboy Bebop and everyone is going to recommend I should watch that, and I'm going to.

But aside from Cowboy Bebop, any other kind of good comedy/action animes that aren't about high schoolers? My friend tried to get me into Kill la Kill but I never really got it. I watched Attack on Titan too which was OK i guess. Bonus points if it's on Netflix, but from what I can tell most of what netflix has looks bad.

also dubs>subs if possible

It's not comedy and questionably action, but Death Note is basically my go-to rec for people who don't like or watch anime. It's on Netflix with both Japanese and English audio options, and though I haven't seen much of it, I hear the dub is very good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Redcrimson posted:

What kind of tortuous existence is it to live in a world where Katanagatari is worse than Master of Martial Hearts?

Ignorance is bliss, they say.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kubla Khan posted:

Could someone suggest a good anime that's actually superior to its manga source material?

Death Note.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Talkc posted:

Apologies if this list is useless. Any suggestions would be helpful. Im willing to give just about anything the 3 episode test, and need stuff to fill the time. I do admit a lot of this runs the gamut between genres and even styles of storytelling, so im not sure how much the list will help.

Only things i absolutely wont watch are things with 200+ episodes ( Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, basically the super long series ) . I dont need to fill time THAT badly.

You should be watching Haikyuu!! yo. Even if the subs are pretty bad.

If you're cool with manga, +C: Sword and Cornett might be something worth checking out, in that it's super gay (but not really really), and that's more for flavor for the plot about medieval fantasy politics.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why would you do this to someone? Don't watch Love Stage.

Talkc posted:

Guilty Pleasures ( Stuff that is bad but i still like )
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still want to know what the producers were huffing when they thought eight semi-identical episodes (literally the same episode with very minor details changed) in a row was a good idea.

There was one time in the first season that showed nothing but a character reading a rook in complete silence for at least a full minute, so I wouldn't say it's completely unprecedented.

And I think I'm alone on this, but I'd say the only consistently good Haruhi show were the Haruhi-chan shorts. In retrospect, Haruhi proper had a lot of padding and more than a few uncomfortable scenes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Besides Legend of Galactic Heroes, is there any anime or manga out there that is recommendable for someone who loved House of Cards?

I watched House of Cards and Death Note (conveniently also on Netflix) back-to-back a while ago. They have similar overt themes, even if the latter comes with supernatural aspects and is more blatant about the murder. Like House of Cards, Death Note is a series centering around the elaborate machinations of the manipulative villain protagonist. I do think it works a bit better in Death Note, because the protagonist doesn't have quite as high of a success rate as Underwood mainly due to the presence of an effective foil, so there's an ongoing volley of increasingly complicated plans. The protagonist is also a more dynamic character than Underwood since he does start out as a high school student, and the character transformation into sociopathy is a pretty wild ride.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Ah man, I've read Death Note already (though I kind of lost track of it after L died) and just a few months ago I binge-watched Code Geass with a friend of mine. Death Note was really engrossing, seeing the intricate plans and all, but I found Code Geass rather too melodramatic and hammy at times.

You should watch it anyway, since the anime's way better. The anime added a few scenes that were really good and the pacing in the back third isn't agonizingly slow because the authors wanted more chapters than they had story to tell.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand, everything after the L twist is still garbage in comparison to what came before it.

Excuse you. (ending spoilers)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

It's because Angel Beats is relentlessly mediocre, while Jun Maeda and his waifu whacking ways managed to somehow make something that while flawed is actually genuine in Clannad, much like Fleming discovering penicillin

hth

Does Clannad have a character say "get chance and luck" though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Outer Science posted:

if we didn't then we'd have to say that the first season of psycho-pass is two seasons long and that's really dumb

It did air through two actual seasons. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly, I felt that the Chimera Ant arc in HxH kind of dragged in its last third or so. Like there were a lot of episodes for what was less than an hour in plot time, and the episodes seemed to rely more than usual on recap time, especially the one (I think 112?) that had the pre-OP recap three times longer than usual. I also got really annoyed with the narrator explaining everything rather showing, which just dragged everything down ever more.

To be fair, a lot of my bitterness could be because of my favorite character getting absolutely no mention for like 80+ episodes despite always being in the OP, and I do think the arc finished up really strong. I like that HxH in general doesn't have any of the standard shounen big bad vs. protagonists beatdowns; it's always either some kind of trickery or constrained by rules or someone else entirely who engages the villain.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Drifter posted:

Why does it go on haitus? It seems like they'd actually make money if they actually made the comic.

Sometimes the chapter put out looks like this:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

The agreed-on first novel was written by a woman, and featured a dude who grooms a girl from a young age to be his perfect woman.

You're neglecting to mention that he chose that girl specifically for her resemblance to her aunt, aka the dude's stepmother and primary love interest who happens to look a lot like his mom. :v:

I didn't particularly care for the Tale of Genji, but at least it never went in the way of one anime adaptation that changed Murasaki's personality from one who got seriously upset over getting tricked into a relationship to one that was all "I love you, big brother!"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Substandard posted:

Hello,

I've not watched a ton of anime but I'm looking for something new to watch. I've watched and really enjoy Cowboy Beebop, Space Dandy, Puella Magi Modoka Magica, and Devil is a Part-Timer and the first / much better half of Death Note in the recent past.

I'd prefer something action and/or comedy and nothing super serious if possible. I was thinking about Tiger and Bunny, but I don't know much about it other than what is on the wiki and I'm open to suggestions.

Why not check out episode 25 of Gintama? Gintama as a whole takes a while to get rolling, but its jokes are great when they hit. It's billed as a comedy, but I honestly enjoy the action or drama-oriented short arcs more when they show up. I think episode 25 itself would be a good primer based on one of your previous interests because it won't one of the many references that would fly over your head. :v:

I get the feeling that I'm the only one who liked the post-time skip stuff in Death Note, which I think is mostly because I only watched the anime years after I read the manga. It's obviously weaker than what came before, but I kind of appreciate how Light becomes less on top of things because of not having an intellectual equal to worry about on top of general insanity deterioration. The anime is also much better about the pacing, but it seems like people always refer to Death Note with the manga in mind, since the "second half" in the anime is 8 of 33 episodes.

Post-time skip also had more pretty people, which I liked because I am shallow and a piece of trash.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Substandard posted:

I am intrigued by Gintama, but the 100+ episodes are intimidating. I've really only seen shorter series with the exception of the occasional Bleach episode. What if I like episode 25? I'll try it but I'm dubious of that type of commitment.

Gintama is almost a purely episodic series, aside from the occasional short arc. There are a few episodes where recurring characters or running gags get introduced, but it's really easy to just pick up or drop whenever. You definitely shouldn't feel like you have to watch the entire series in one go or anything. I've gotten up to somewhere in the 70s, but sometimes I go months between watching it with no problems.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mors Rattus posted:

I've increasingly grown to feel DRRR just isn't as good - it's still a good, fun romp, mind. Just Baccano is better.

Durarara's second half was definitely a lot weaker than the first.

I feel like the best episodes are the OVAs. They got a good mix of action and comedy, and the plotlines are neatly kept self-contained per each episode.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there any reason to watch the original episodes over the remastered ones for Gintama? Should I just watch both in their original airing order?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I wanna say the remastered ones just have different OPs/EDs?

Original's probably the better route since that way you're guaranteed to watch in the airing order. I know there are blu-rays out but man, as much as I love Gintama that first series is on one hell of a budget. To the point where in 2010 it was *still* airing in 4:3. The remasters aren't gonna add a lot to the original I can safely say that much.

They're all on Crunchyroll, and they're marked clearly enough (e.g. 109C), so I don't think it'd be too hard to swap them into the right order. I guess the stuff about "new extras" are just empty lies then?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

I really wish Sentai gave a gently caress about their dubs.

You might say they don't have the time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

lordfrikk posted:

Is that an official dub, though? Sounds like someone just wanted to sneak in a meme reference (google ain't nobody got time for that) at the end. Unless that's :thejoke: in which case ignore me :ohdear:.

As far as I can tell, it's the official Sentai dub.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

The original FMA ends with one of the most retarded twists in anime history(and then they MADE A MOVIE BASED OFF THAT) and it should rightfully be buried as the inferior product

Brotherhood supremacy

That twist/setting is one of my top guilty pleasures in fiction and its absence is part of the reason I'm not all that interested in watching Brotherhood.

Most of the reason is just :effort: though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Che Delilas posted:

Sounds like you're watching the dub (not a bad thing); that's a product of directly translating the way Al addresses Ed in the Japanese version, which is more natural in that language than ours.

It's an overly literal translation I do not like.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho has gotten kind of stale, is Hunter x Hunter any better, and is the remake of it in english or should I just stick with the subbed version on Netflix

Also, what are some good comedy/action series that are good and not bad.

For some context so people dont recommend stuff I've already seen and enjoyed: Space Dandy, Dragon Ball, Trigun, Tiger and Bunny, Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloon, JoJo (the first two parts, haven't watched the third yet), YYH mostly, FLCL

Gintama is mostly a comedy that occasionally acts like a more traditional shounen action series, but it takes like 30 episodes before it gets consistently good. Try checking out the prison island episode (110) or the Nintendo Wii episodes (98-99) first to see if the humor appeals to you. If you prefer an introduction with a more action-y bent, the Diviner arc (195-199) also works well enough as a stand-alone and is one of my favorites in the series.

It doesn't have a dub though, other than one of the movies, which as a Sentai dub should be avoided.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

I think i asked in this thread about HunterxHunter, and I started watching the 2011 version on netflix. I'm up to the Greed Island arc, and I'm just wondering how much more there is to the series, and if this anime is finished or not. It seems like there is a lot more content to cover as far as what's been set up in the story so far, but there's only five seasons on Netflix.

The kicker is Netflix doesn't even have all the episodes. There's 48 episodes missing, and it's been that way for at least a year.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 28, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

nozaki-kun is far more of a parody of shoujo than actual shoujo, i think it runs in a seinen magazine even

It runs in Gangan Online, which is a web magazine, but it's also been published in issues of something called Shoujo Romance Girly, so.

Shounen seems to be the demographic most people label for it.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 20, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

You could watch Gintama. It's mostly humour but there are some serious arcs with some character development. It does take about 30 episodes to go from mediocre to good though.

If you want an idea of how a typical story arc goes, I suggest episode 110. It's a self-contained episode with a good mix of the series' staple comedic elements and a (more the most part) feel-good ending.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cubemario posted:

Are there any good spy anime?

If you're okay with manga, From Eroica with Love is a decent episodic spy thriller shojo series, thought it starts off pretty rough and takes a little while to shift focus to its NATO agent lead. It started serialization in the 70s, so there a lot of dumb shojo tropes with the flamboyantly gay title character, but thankfully they get far more restrained as the series goes on.

The real problem is that the English scanlations have been stalled out for years, and whatever company once had the license went bankrupt.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

nerdz posted:

I want to watch some good comedy! Here's some stuff I watched and liked:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Daily Lives of school boys
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

And some more that I forgot at the moment. Newish stuff would be nice, considering I probably watched a lot of older series.

Edit: Noticed that everything I mentioned was school slice of life, but it's definitely not necessary.

Shinji Takamatsu, who directed School Rumble and Nichibros, was also on board for the first 201 episodes of Gintama. It does take around 30 episodes to really get going though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bongo Bill posted:

Why is the thread title no longer recommending Legend of Galactic Heroes.

It's a new era.

• Locked thread