Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Forbidden Scrollery 40 and 41 available on online reader now.

http://bato.to/reader#70998839e0b45c32_14
Akyu: the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Edit: Incidentally, I see chapter 35 as the big reveal that everyone's been waiting for all this time. It reveals that she's an old friend of Yukari's who was one of the youkai sages who created the barrier in the first place. Recall a certain line from ULiL: "In the name of the sage" or whatever. I didn't think about it much at the time, but now that she's being called a sage of Gensokyo... she was breaking the barrier in her own name. So she and Yukari are part of an extremely small group of high level youkai who created Gensokyo as we know it. With this in mind, all the things she hates about Gensokyo, like the state of the Underworld and how youkai-human interactions are handled, and the existence of the barrier itself, take on a totally different light. These are her regrets, that she wants to undo/redo.

I really don't see what else there is to care about being revealed.

Look at that loving panel where Yukari realizes she's been "betrayed". She manages to laugh it off, but that is a face that launched a thousand ships.

Edit: I think too much about Touhou.

I had just finished rereading the FMW lp so its kind of funny that
FMW Yukari is basically Canon Kasen in respect to regrets & interactions

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

They're all on the lp archive
http://lparchive.org/Fantasy-Maiden-Wars-E/
http://lparchive.org/Fantasy-Maiden-Wars-P/
http://lparchive.org/Fantasy-Maiden-Wars-I/

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

POLL: how will Remi be not terrible in the next game, if at all

they really shoulda brought her in sooner so she could wreck poo poo during IN. like I dunno, maybe leave behind Patchy and Meiling to hold back Flan for that segment they were going for. also sorta counterintuitive how underground doesn't count as nighttime, but I think more than anything that's supposed to be more of a 'is the moon currently visible' system, something i was genuinely surprised was not more of a direct mechanic with all the lunarians around

...similarly I have to wonder if anyone'll play like Zero does in Z2. could be Eiki's thing, though honestly I think it'd make more sense if it was how Kanako worked. they were kind of going for something similar in how she's more of a supportive command-aura centered unit after all

the stages on the moon and in space also did not count as night stages, right?

i mean yes ok the sun still shines and thats even a gag in Silent Sinner but still come on guys

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 43!

Featuring the acclaimed return of WaHH's most popular character.

Sanae is vicious

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I figured it was meant to be like "Tokyo" and not translated

i can never remember what yuyuko's area even is so white jade belvedere has just replaced it for me

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Nook posted:

IIRC the bigger talking point was Fantasy Nature's name being something else like Gifted Seer, and it bled into Fantasy Seal when "Musou" was brought up as being more Visions or Dreams, rather than Fantasy.

I don't like any of these names but in some senses they are more accurate than the current translations.

and before fantasy nature people thought fantasy heaven

reimu's ultimate skill, Untranslatable Japanese Idiom

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 45.

In which we see what desperation can do to someone.

Some quality Tenshi faces all over

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i might do an lp of labyrinth of touhou 2 if no one else has yet

i think both labyrinth games had LPs started and then abandoned. Labyrinth 1 I think got really far in too, it was a shame.

the sequel started alongside a bunch of other touhou lps that, ah, were also all abandoned?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i cant wait for Touhou 17: Administrative War Across All Hells

Also geeze SWR was 11 years ago

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Hello esteemed Touhou goons! I am admittedly still very green in matters concerning Touhou aside from liking Shooter / Bullet Hell games and having played:
  • The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
  • Double Dealing Character
I've grown to like the franchise from a distance. I'm aware that Touhou fanon is a thing (and that's how I've come to really like Kagerou) but tell me: Has Zun released any manga/novel material that can be considered canon? And thanks for prolonging the magic. :)
Boy are there ever!
Silent Sinner in Blue, set as a sequel to TH8 Imerpishable Night. It's got fun moments. Assholes on & of the moon! Complete
Forbidden Scrollery, a more recent really solid series that focuses on a human girl who runs a bookshop in the village. Shenanigans Ensue. Has a lot of stuff about the politics of the yokai and the village. Multiple games in the series happen in the background/between chapters. Complete
The three fairies of light have four manga. Eastern & Little Nature Deity, Strange & Bright Nature Deity, Oriental Sacred Place and the latest is an ongoing series called Visonairy Fairies in Shrine. The latest one features breakout fairy character, Clownpiece, joinging their gang. They're all mostly slice of life type things with the fairies causing mischief.
Wild & Horned Hermit has been running for years, is ongoing, and focuses on Kasen, a hermit.

Reimu & Marisa appear all the time in all these, obviously, alongside whatever other characters strikes the story's fancy.

SSiB also has a light novel (?) companion piece called Cage in Lunatic Red and a 4koma collection focusing on Reisen & Tewi called Inaba of the Earth and Inaba of the Moon. I didn't read CiLR butthe 4koma collection is pretty cute!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Moe Harukawa's character art is pretty cool but what I really dig is her scenery and crowd shots

all the "background" characters in general are pretty interesting, they're all drawn so differently than the main cast.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Violet Detector

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ready for Reimu to murder the entire cast in cold blood, again

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That's a pretty cute intro to this, thank you for translating.

I love how Reimu, Sakuyra & Sanae just tear into her about the flashlight but I think my favorite preview comment is Youmu vs Kogasa
"Nope, this danmaku is too watery. I refuse to accept that you can make fireworks out of water." :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Gotta wonder what kind of role models the playable four make.

Reimu: stone cold killers, stone cold broke

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 47!

In which, shockingly, things happen.

coming to canon tenshi after FMW tenshi is giving me whiplash

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 48!

In case you ever wondered what Tenshi would be like as the detective in a police procedural.

this entire chapter was pretty cool (character interactions, the mystery, the slight world building) but I think my favorite part was
Komachi's use of her power. It was presented in such a neat way!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

These look much improved because most of them hide their hideous tube arms, tube legs, & feet
He also avoided drawing hands when possible

The most miraculous part of four seasons was he was able to draw a multitude of shoes that did not resemble misshapen hooves

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Love Hecatia's stylish skull pile

also i cant believe luna is loving dead

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Please post the results when this is done, I'm super curious what the average thought process is to these

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 49!

In which spiciness occurs.

finally paying out the oni plotline every had been assuming since 2010 and I am HERE for it :allears:

also here for sanae & marisa agreeing reimu's power is bullshit

a cartoon duck posted:

She is a named character with an introduction card which means she is legally not allowed to die ever and is here to stay.

She will be to Kasen in the fighting games like Goku's Gokus in DBFZ

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

I love when poo poo gets real in these manga--

oh. uh-oh

things are heating up in the clownpiece manga too arent they....

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

El Burbo posted:

There are too many Reimus, and they all sound different probably

I thought I left a comment akin to this but I must have erased it on accident, but yeah I think this is probably why it's so hard to pin down how she sounds.
The other characters are fairly standard regardless of what's going on but Reimu reflects the tone of the events more than anything.

Overall I trend more towards THE CRIMSON SLASHER mixed with Bougetshou but hell if I could relate to you what that sounds like. And I definitely affect the pitch when I read her in other contexts so that makes it harder to pin down.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the two emotions of touhou

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Reimu to Marisa after giving a range of -1 to 1 points for the last 4 stages: Harsh as always, Marisa

these are great as always :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chumbler posted:

I decided to try Touhou Gensou Wanderer, and you know, maybe there is such a thing as too big.

fennec fox reimu

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well, I closed auditions and chose my cast.

I'd link like 6 different tweets about it, but here's a tumblr post about it. I got a really, really good cast by the end of this - I counted, I had exactly 80 people audition, and received over 220 total takes. Waaay bigger, and way better of a response than I expected.

Pretty good spread of voices, I'm looking forward to this! Your selections for Miko and Kanako in particular really stick out as perfect.
Have fun directing them

e: Also thank you for paying your voice actors

rannum fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 22, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Has the TH13 midboss ever like...said. Anything? Beyond the one or two lines when she's summoned for an attack by Miko?
Or done anything outside of her profile?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

She gets a full article in SoPM, which is more than Momiji ever got.
Oh go figure. I remember reading the main transcripts of the actual symposium but of the articles, I only remembered the other hermit's article, the bucket midboss & I think something of Yukari. There's a lot more of these than I thought there were.

Turns out Momiji got one too,! https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Symposium_of_Post-mysticism/Bunbunmaru_Newspaper_11
And I liked how Double Spoiler had her just loving hate Aya

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Is SoPM the work where Zun revealed that Natori is a maniac normal kappa who drowns people? I remember people being weirded out by that one.

Seems like it just uses her as a spring board to talk about the dangers of kappas and how to handle them like this bit

quote:

Kappa don't usually make contact with others of their own accord, but it is dangerous to go near their hideout. They will drown you with this ability of water manipulation.

But the part about her specifically is just she's kind of timid and haughty when she cant run away

quote:

Perhaps because of her timidness, she tends to run away when approached by humans or youkai if she is alone. She acts bright and cheerful while in her circle of friends, but when she alone is unable to flee, she adopts a haughty attitude. Deep in her heart she believes she is superior to humans and other youkai, and it is obvious that she is doing her best to keep the idea, standing against the fact.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit 49 (part 2) is out!

In which Kasen etc etc. Also magical hacking.

new game should have Tenshi, Komachi & final boss Oni Kasen imo

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kasen will split up back up BUT now Kasen (Arm) will be around too & you'll be able to use True Oni Kasen in the next fight game only if you make a Kasen/Kasen team and get their super meter to max

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think Nina's my favorite performance thus far, she's nailing Miko

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rectus posted:

Reimu has four moms

and at least 2 of them are awful

Okina at least guides her daughter through the maze of doors

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

VFiS spoilers:

Okina is canon wheelchair user.

i cant believe reimu canon broke her hips :ohdear:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Visionary Fairies in Shrine chapter 14!

In which Daiyousei ambiguously gets her first speaking line.

great fairy wars ultimate is going to own
every fairy is here

Clarste posted:

Here's the interview.

It's about a lot of things.

quote:

I: The subtitle is suggestive, but it doesn't really mean anything, does it?
ZUN: You're right, it doesn't, does it? I mean, I guess it sounds like it's referring to Okina?
I love ZUN

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

man I did not get any of this god of the disabled god or implications of what was going on in gensokyo stuff when I was reading the translated dialog & story a while back :psyduck:
even the chair thing I didn't think much of, just a new level of haughtiness for the secret elder god not taking you seriously, to contrast with her standing up (or...floating, now, I guess) in the extra

I really appreciate that Zun is by all counts a cool guy who does put a fair amount of thought into what he makes. Like that gets shown in the supplementary materials and character bios of course, but i dunno. Just nice to see it show up in interviews for a game that you can otherwise kind of write off as purely adhoc, I guess?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Well, like SyntheticPolygon said, none of these ideas were really reflected in the game so it's no surprise you don't remember them.

from the way he & the interviewer were talking about it I figured maybe it was some implication that made more sense in japan and didn't land/translate well without the context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

23 (currently; born August 1994 approx.)
I figured Akyuu was just 10 forever so far as touhou time went

wonder if zun will do anything special in 7-ish years if he's still doing these

Clarste posted:

Grimoire of Usami part 2 preview!

Um... I should probably clarify before you read this that the way the book is structured is that it's 150 pages of spellcard judging broken into two halves by comics drawn by Azuma Aya (the artist for WaHH). Technically there are three comics: one at the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end. Three chapters total.

The preview comic I translated earlier appears in the book in its entirety, and you should probably read it first in case you've forgotten what's going on. The version I did earlier is in black and white, but in the book it's actually in full color. I might fix that later, but it's not a priority for me.

Chapter 1 link

So halfway through the book there's a new comic, and things get changed up a little as a result. So I cherry-picked some subsequent spellcards to add at the end, as a kind of preview of how things changed. There are way more than that though, and I skipped a bunch while choosing, similar to how ZUN handled the first preview. So with that in mind:

Chapter 2 link

There are plans to do the whole thing as one big book, like AFiEU, but that'll be a while from now.

I love that everyone in the second half has a quip when they show off because now they can be dangerous :allears: