Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Two new chapters of: Hadaka no Taiyou.

I really get the feeling that this is a cross between Yankee-Kun & Megane-Chan and Bakuman. We've got a club led by a feisty but one-track-minded girl, and they get into all sorts of hijinks, and the theme is making manga. The art style kinda reminds me of YK&MC as well. It's some great stuff, check it out!

Genshiken too if they're going to go with the same "Empty club room test" gag as they did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cisneros posted:

Does Shonen Jump own cancelled mangas? I've heard of some mangas changing magazines, but never Shonen Jump ones.

I'm sure it's less that (though I could totally see Shueisha's contract pretty much demanding the surrendering of all rights through time immemorial) and more "if you ever want to work for the grand mighty JUMP ever again, you'll loving well not sell your comic to any other publisher for continuation".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh man that last page! I fell out of my chair!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So a new Jump Manga pop'd up.

Hime Doll: a comedy about a Media High School (?) the main character being a hairdresser in the making who's coerced into helping the local Yankee Queen in her dream of becoming an Idol against her father (Who's some sort of Ex-Yakuza Gym Meathead) wishes. It looks interesting and might do something with the formula but I'm just dreading the moment it gets Medaka'd because it can only have battles as a secondary concern Because, goddamnit, if the police girl manga can get shitcanned (albeit with a reinstation) what is safe these days?.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 23, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

KoB posted:

Police girl manga got canned because it was poo poo and had a main character that just wanted to molest and rape his coworkers. :ssh:
Hands in the air, I only knew that it was bonkers nonsense and it seemed good but not my cup of tea.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yep, that was some fine Akamatsu related shenanigans there. Was sort of wondering if it'd turn out that Touya was a werewolf or something but no this works too.

And, yeah, I suppose if the person fixing Chachamaru is long gone, she was probably not much longer for the world either though I would be more than happy to be proven wrong by that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I kinda hope Veronica's Sidekick joins the team if only because he kidna looks like Straights (JoJo's).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Seven Sins;

Gotta love how he's drawing it like "WHO ON EARTH OWNED THAT SUITED MAN?!" when the captions make it clear it's Diane.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So yeah. I'm happy right now;
Kodansha Comics Adds UQ Holder, Seven Deadly Sins Manga

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Iris Zero. Jesus that took far too long.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Seven Sins is a really high quality shounen series. It probably won't be considered a classic or anything, but it just has much better art/action/setting than you usually see in battle shounen manga.

Whilst AoT has clout as the big number attraction I really hope Crunchyroll put Sins as their second/third (given UQ) big hitter for the manga service.

The fact it's one of the few series with all it's chapters up helps a load.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Sins is pretty good indeed, although I really loved the previous work from the author a lot more. Seriously, Kongoh Bancho is a must read. One of the craziest goddamn Shonen out there.
True. I wish that and ZKC would be part of CR too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Good god, that is incredibly violent for a children's series (which it is, since it won some Kodansha award in the children's category). Bones sticking out of severed limbs and entrails being torn out of folks left and right.

edit: This has prompted me to start re-reading Gash Bell, which I had forgotten was actually quite good.

As a frame of reference. Animal Land runs in the same anthology as Attack on Titan (and XXX-Holic Rei so you can't win them all), Best Shounen, following Raiku's little bust up with Shougakugan involving his poo poo somehow getting lost in transit from artist table to printing press.

Kodansha itself got itself involved in that song and dance with Takeouchi with one of her post Sailor Moon series and is part and parcel why she faffs the whole affair off and just manages Sailor Moon as an IP and not getting her lazy slob of a husband to either poo poo or get off pot as far as Hunter x Hunter is concerned.

This might be part of why Animal Land and Sailor Moon are not available digitally in spite of Kodansha's gun-ho attitude on the matter which is a massive pain in the balls and gives scanlators/pirates an out to keep on keeping on.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 3, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Clearly what we need is a hot-blooded romance.

Witness, the face of fury and wrath and unbridled umbrage!

That's the look of someone who is about to go full psychotic after a long and painful lifetime of playing by the rules.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Because of the Hyouka comparison, I took a look at the first chapter and ended up blazing through the rest. I like its (mostly) low-key tone.

Good thing that the series resumed publication a few months ago - I don't think I could have handled the year and a half hiatus if I found it beforehand.

Yeah. It was kinda rough to say the least.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
First chapter of elDLIVE (Reborn Mangaka's new work) is up and it's clear why it took so long to get it translated; It's in full color.

Looks good but drat if this doesn't feel rushed in spite of being over 50 pages.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

It almost hurts how much better the oneshot is.

To be fair, the series has only started and will have to cover that ground again (If they even go the way the short did). Now if it gets the Jump short shrift then yes, that'd be an accurate assessment.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh. I'm not quite ready to sling this one just yet. Whilst it's clear it's going in another direction. I'm not sure if it's a bad one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Haha, the worst one was the most popular in English.

It's us, we're the bad ones.
Morning Star and Sweat Man were pure poo poo. All the rest at least tried; Sweat Man is a lovely attempt at One Punch Man and Morning Star was just boring.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Stealth Symphony was pretty neat. I hope it doesn't go to poo poo like so many WSJ manga before it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Iron Knight 8

So, things are starting to come together here and, heck, we even have The Love Intrest there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Weekly Shounen Jump - 2014/16

Good stuff was great but I'm really starting to dislike having these cliffhangers (Stealth Symphony was barely a chapter) whilst poo poo like Nisekoi, Naruto and Bleach fart around for pages on end.

And, hey, That cooking manga's getting a GN release, digital only so I can expect to get an email bugging me to buy it whilst my filthy philistine money can't do so.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 17, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Iron Knight 9
Well, that whole operation went to poo poo pdq.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

bondster posted:

Iron Knight sure didn't last long

It seemed like it had potential too.

I'll give you anything Stealth Symphony is next. Too interesting to survive in Jump.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

coathat posted:

I hope so! It's insanely boring and bland.
Oh yes because Naruto, Bleach, Nisekoi (ESPECIALLY NISEKOI) and HxH aren't.

Plus it's only been four chapters, guy. I'm only saying it's next on the block because it dares to not be a lovely battle manga, horrifically boring drivel like Nisekoi or Food Wars which, whilst I'm glad it's there, is probably riding on the fact that it's got fan-service out the arse.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 26, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArcadePark posted:

HunterXHunter suffers from a different problem: the author is really lazy. Lazy, as in, "I'm in ten chapters, time for an year-long break" lazy.
This is what I meant. Dood's a layabout and given the field of Japanese Comic writing I find that deplorable.

Oh don't get me wrong, I get the field of Japanese Comic writing is deplorable as is with it's 2 hour sleep work schedules (That number is probably not accurate) but Togashi's own work ethic is outright disgusting and the fact that that he continues to have a free ride makes WSJ a joke.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 27, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

Well he does do some work as an editor for other manga, so he's not completely just wasting time presumably. Togashii's lenient contract only came about due to Yuu Yuu Hakusho's rushed ending, and probably came up again once he was basically submitting scribbles for the weekly magazine. It's possible he's basically using his lenient time to do batches. Course, if you're feeling pessimistic about it, he could also be just resting on his and his wife's laurels since all their manga series were super successful.
Well I'm sorry but the glass is half-empty on this one.

Regardless the fact remains if anyone else did that (which is to say submit chicken scratchings, then constantly go on hiatus) they would be fired on the spot (as is right and proper) and it's distressing seeing good manga cut in their prime (Double Arts, MxO, the one about the Zoo that fought other zoos I can't mind the name of) whilst Togashi gets a free ride and the person who did Double Arts is now 100+ chapters into a half baked Orange Road rip-off (-psychics, pretend to + Mobsters but not really) that, by all rights, shouldn't have mustered 50.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 27, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
poo poo, Barage was his? I thought that was one of Hiroyuki Takei's post Shaman King works.

Dexo posted:

Those manga got cut off in their prime because they weren't popular. Togashi's poo poo is popular and manages to stay popular even when he takes a year off. Those manga's would have been canceled had HxH stayed consistent or not.
You can explain it like that but it doesn't stop it being pure concentrated bullshit.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 27, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jose posted:

What was the last SJ manga to survive? Seems like most of those I've bothered to read have all been cancelled so far

Shokugeki No Soma, I think.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I mean, Togashi's not entirely blameless, since Usuta Kyousuke has a similar contract and you don't see him taking year long breaks. But from the things he wrote in his author's notes back during YYH it really does come across like he was at a breaking point and Jump forced him to go over that.
Ya know, I always wondered how on earth Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar lasted as long as it did but the author having a tenure contract would clear that up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yu yu hakusho is my favorite shounen series period, however I've only watched the anime. Is there anything new I'd get out of reading the manga, or was it a pretty faithful adaptation?

If memory serves right, the epilouge was a bit diffrent and the pre-spirit decetcive stuff was extended with a few minor details fanegled.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Hey guys, did you like Pacific Rim? Well, this is a lot like if you mashed together Pacific Rim with the human-transformation thing from Attack on Titan, and put it through a Shonen Jump wringer of sparkles and boyish optimism: Kiriwo Terrible. It's mindless shonen fun, and I enjoyed it. :)
In this thing's defence, the human transformation thing (as well as AoT's to a given extent) has common ancestry in the likes of Ultraman (there's a heavy Kamen Rider bent to it too with the human experiment angle) .

That said, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as far as pinching it from AoT.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Why do people keep saying Jump didn't recognize Attack on Titan's potential or whatever? They said it was a good series when Isayama brought it to them, but they turned it down because it didn't fit with Jump's themes. Which is completely correct. Jump's motto is Friendship, Effort, Victory; you can argue that Death Note didn't fit that motto and was still a big hit anyway, but it was a massive gamble even with an established artist assisting a writer who had at least done one work before, whereas Attack on Titan is Isayama's first work period.

Besides, the draft he submitted to Jump had some really bad art.

Hands in the air, I Mistook the phrase "Put through a Shoenen Jump Wringer" to mean it's being run in Jump as opposed to Sunday so yeah, that was my bad.

And you say that about AoT not fitting Jump and what have you but I'm pretty sure that's of little solace to the family of the dood who had final say on AoT running in Jump.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

He's also responsible for the abortion of a show that was Eureka 7: AO, which took two of the most likable protagonists ever in Renton and Eureka (along with one of the most feel-good ending ever) and completely shat on them.

He's a hack writer completely dependent on an awful shtick.

Suddenly everything makes sense.

Still not watching AO ever, mind.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

It sure is a pity that stealth symphony is likely to be axed soon. It has just started getting interesting.

It goes and the only weekly thing I'll even begin to give a drat about in alpha is World Trigger and that stupid war arc better end soon cuz christ is this boring.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

But One Piece and Toriko are in WSJ, poo poo is worth 25 cents a week right there.
I'm beginning to wonder if One Piece isn't on it's way out if only by way of Critical Author Existence Failure and Toriko just doesn't do it for me, it's not a case that it's bad it's just not my bag.

I'd be happy to have Seraph of the End and Blue Exorcist but that drip's done and we're back to a monthly schedule for those and it does not feel nice to pay money (as little as it is) for chapter after chapter of Naruto and Bleach refusing to die (their spot on the Knacker cart having been long booked) Nisekoi being what I can only call a grudge-gently caress (you don't go from Double Arts to Nisekoi accidently) and World Trigger just putzing around with a war that's gone on since the start of the year when there's parallel worlds just there open to be be explored whilst I'm here waiting for Seraph and Exorcist.

And just so I knowledge it, YuGiOh is post original run YuGiOh so who cares and HxH.

I dunno if that speaks to the quality of Monthlies over Weeklies (One Piece and Non Jump Weeklies such as UQ Holder suggest otherwise) or to the quality of Jump's output but I'm paying good cash here and I'm wondering if it's better to just get CR's offerings even though they're ultimately more immaterial in terms of back issue retention.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 21, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

It's nice to see that Narita keeps up his usual trend of having a morally grey cast in Stealth Symphony, even if it did start off pretty standard shonen at the beginning. That assassin was as good as his word. Wish the manga had more time to build up its cast more, since I always liked Baccano and Durarara for building up a fairly varied cast of characters, but it seems Stealth Symphony is rushing towards its ending.

What a waste of a good comic. I'm beginning to think my £2 is better spent elsewhere.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 8, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, in no particular order; the Kenshin chapter told us Shishio is a prick (in other news water is wet), World Trigger is doing nothing, Hunter X Hunter and Nisekoi exist and Stealth Symphony just ends with a wet, chunky, underwear destroying, yet somehow unrelieving shart.

Yeah, I'm done with Jump alpha. It's been a wild year but that's a 8 pack of Irn Bru a month and, unlike Jump, Irn Bru gets you through.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think that stealth symphony could have been something special if it had had time to subtly introduce Sieg's steadily decaying sanity instead of dumping everything together at once. Oh well, time for more shinsengumi wankery.

The problem is completely in what magazine it was published in. The same comic rag whose "greatest" line this week was, paraphrased, "You stink of semen".

If Stealth Symphony ran in any other anthology, it would still be running.

Also, I'll guarantee you now that the superhero one is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Allarion posted:

It wouldn't be too surprising given his last few series didn't last long either. Course then again, he could strike gold and have Nisekoi-levels of success. It's just a nature of the business that unpopular or unmarketable things tend to get shafted unless they're a favorite of the higher ups. This is true of Western media as well. But you are right that Jump is stricter than other Japanese magazines so Stealth Symphony probably could have done better in another magazine.

Jump just puts up this image to me that anything that's remotely interesting and not a battle manga (Souma being the noted exception and OP beging the one battle manga I don't mind) is doomed to the two volume gently caress you treatment regardless where everything sits at the end of the day. Just to point one example that's not HxH (for once) Bleach has been farting in the lower half of the rankings for years now and the cartoon's done so the gently caress is it being allowed to spend years writing up it's finalé? More to the point why wasn't it's cheap rip off of the Chapter Black story arc not it's finale?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 15, 2014