Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Does Shonen Jump own cancelled mangas? I've heard of some mangas changing magazines, but never Shonen Jump ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

RatHat posted:

Hopefully after Meliodas/Ban/King inevitably saves her she remembers the moves she used and becomes mildly competent.

Hopefully she becomes an antagonist and leaves, because she's the only crappy character of the gang

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

There's something sort of depressingly amusing about the manga with early cancellation endings that are like "our adventure has just begun!" I always imagine the author just sadly thinking about what could have been.

IIRC there was one author that had two series like this. I think the same guy did both Red Sprite and Iron Knight, which both ended up this way. Feel bad for that guy, because his art was real good but he just couldn't write stuff that didn't feel cliche.

I always remember Double Arts ending with a drawing of a new character with the text “sorry I didn’t get to your part of the story, this page is just for you…”. At least Komi Naoshi eventually got their big break, so many just hang around the oneshot/ 2 vol runs circuit for years (I think they’re usually someone else’s assistants that submit stuff every now and then? Doesn’t make much sense otherwise). I recalled one of those from like 10 years ago that I thought had a good ending, and it and it was way worse than I remembered, but they seem to have a series running on Jump plus now and I’m glad for them.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Fabricated posted:

IMO Baseball and Soccer are sports where you basically have to destroy it to succeed in Weekly Jump because there are multiple very good serializations both past and current.

Like if you're gonna do High School Baseball in a big magazine, you gotta be able to beat Ace of Diamond- which is a tall order. Nevermind Rookies, Mr. Fullswing, etc.

If you're doing soccer, you gotta be able to compete with stuff like Blue Lock and somehow escape the shadow of Captain Tsubasa.

Kuroko's Basketball kind of escaped being lumped in with Slam Dunk (yes, the joke is "because it's not as good") by going more for the fantastic elements rather than the personal angle. I feel like you gotta be pretty different to not be "ah, this is trying to be Captain Tsubasa/Rookies/etc".

I feel like art is very important for sports series, people like Inoue and Murata are some of the best artists on the industry, the only massive outlier would be the Captain Tsubasa guy. I basically read every basketball manga there is, and yeah, it feels like each one has its own niche, the biggest currently running one(on hiatus) would be Ahiru no Sora, which differentiates by loading it up with drama, it's good, but it's been a lot of years and they barely play games, so you don't get to feel the players getting too much better, which yeah it's realistic, but feels like a key thing in sports stories. Speaking of cancelled series, I don't even remember the name, but there was a basketball manga at the time of Kuroko that tried to contrast it by being more realistic, and it was perfectly competent but it was cancelled immediately, and it was funny because even if they fast forwarded to the final game, the mc was just like "they put me a few minutes, and I hit an open three, it was cool", they stayed grounded to the very end. Real by Inoue is of course excellent, but comes like once a year and it being about wheelchair basketball makes it stand out, to round up school basketball there's Switch, by one of the Haikyuu's assistants, again it's perfectly fine, but the mc has the most convoluted story ever and he's kinda hard to root for. The most recent one I've been reading is Tsubame tip off, being about girls basketball sets it apart (though Ahiru no sora goes there every now and then), but the artist isn't that good at conveying movement on the games yet, hopefully they'll get better at it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Neru feels like some really old manga someone suddenly decided to scanlate

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Witch Watch: Please don't become generic shounen. :ohdear: But a lot of plot is happening currently..

Witch Watch is going for that Gag Manga with Occasional Serious Arcs slot left by Gintama so there’ll be more of that probably.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
They should go all digital and not kill anyone imo

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

If we're looking for explanations, one possibility is that the "lollipop user" can actually use all kinds of sweets and just prefers lollipops.

She’s actually a stick user yeah

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Personally it’s Harry Potter X One Punch Man, that’s just me though

It's Mx0.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
It introduced a million characters this arc and then gave every single one of them a tragic death scene

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Blue Box has gorgeous art, likable characters, and astounding sales figures. It's the opposite of a mystery that it's doing well. And things are slowly happening. Hina's admitted that she likes Taiki, Taiki and Chinatsu have lost the big tournaments they were in, and Chinatsu is realizing that she is interested in Taiki, with their struggles to figure out how to express their feelings without making it awkward forming the center of the manga, step by step.

It's low-key, but it's one of my favorites in Jump right now.

(It also has the advantage of being very distinct from everything else in Jump. If you like action, you'll probably vote for MHA, Jujutsu, or Sakamoto, making it harder for Ayashimon to get on the card. Meanwhile, if you like romance and low-key interpersonal stories, then Blue Box is the only game in town.)

High school family is better at those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
It has close to nothing in common to bocchi, are people doing the boss baby bit.