Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I ditched her the moment they announced the option. I wanted neither metal minis nor figures I couldn't see myself ever using, and she's both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Cue over a month of impatience and gnawing on my desk while the basic vampires receive their boxes :argh:

The reports of Vampire+ coming in just get me a little bit more excited and a little bit more motivated to finish the minis I have yet to paint before mine comes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think it's normal to be disappointed, since the prior message was "just waiting at customs!" and now we're looking at two months or more (hopefully leaves in a week, hopefully only takes five weeks to get here and through customes...but then they still need to unpack it all and ship them to all of us).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

People don't understand that the initial estimates were in fact ESTIMATES and that Reaper has no control over the supply chain segments that are in China.

I think most people do understand estimates, but start looking forward to things, and when they are disappointed, manage that disappointment poorly. There are surely some who don't have the slightest clue, and a few who are going to be hammering away at their keyboards well after their miniatures arrive.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

See, that is the thing. They never made any "promises". They were open about what they were doing, when they estimated it would be done, and the fact that it involved manufacturing and shipping from China.

See, that is the thing. You see professional estimates and promises as being much further apart than some others do. In some environments, failure to meet professional estimates can cost somebody his job; some estimates are even binding.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zurai posted:

Personally, I never expected delivery any time near March because it was blindingly obvious that the March release date was overly optimistic.

I expected March because I've never had miniatures made in China and shipped over, while Reaper had.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

What was your profit per Vampire set?

I must say I'm amazed how you spun this into such a profitable venture. I wouldn't have thought enough people would be willing to buy them, but never underestimate the frenzy of nerds and their little plastic mans. (Also how did they miss the KS in the first place?)

I missed a lot of KS initially because while I'd heard of it through the Wasteland and Double Fine ones, I didn't really even think of being part of these things myself. There is a process you have to go through to arrive at being ok with putting money down on something that may never exist.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Sidenote: This is what I am telling myself so I feel better about not having vampire boxes pile up in my doorway. Please allow me to keep my delusion!

I think many of us will be able to allow you to keep your delusion, because we also do not have Vampire boxes piling up in our doorways. It's a little different because we actually ordered them, but your delusion is safe.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Just out of curiosity, is everyone supposed to have received their bones by now? I know there was some mixup with Canada and customs, but I haven't heard a peep for a while and I'm still waiting.

I did not have a super-complicated or particularly large order, but I did have some add-ons, and I don't have mine.

Edit: for reference, I ordered

Vampire x1 $100

Fire Giants x1 $10

Frost Giants x1 $10

Klocke Classics x1 $4

Figure Case x2 $50

Storm Giants x1 $10

Mind Your Manors x1 $10

Vampire + 5 things and two cases. None of the figures that were essentially sculptures.

homullus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 6, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

If it still needs some reshaping what you can do is drop it in the hot water until its soft, hold it in the position you want it and dip it in ice water. The plastic will go rigid in your hands in the shape you hold it in.

I did my mans-boiling last night and it really is magic. Things like the zombies or goblins only took about 10 seconds in boiling water to spring back into shape, ditto bent swords and other weapons. My owlbear (among others) was a little too unbalanced to stand and that took more like 20 seconds to soften, and did need to be held in place when dipped in the ice water. I recommend tongs and non-disposable gloves (like for gardening) because hey, boiling water. Other than the hassle of getting those things, though, it was incredibly simple and effective at restoring, well, anything other than missing or broken things (I had an ogre missing an arm and one of my familiars was missing a chunk).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

moths posted:

Should be easy enough, but the trick is break look organic.

Red magnets?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

Use a scissors instead of your fingers, there are a lot of little bags, and it make sit much faster, I did my whole 38 line item order in about an hour.

About halfway through I was thinking "I should go get a scissors, this is starting to get uncomfortable . . . . naaaaaah" and thought that on every bag after halfway. I really should have gotten a scissors. No damage or anything, but I wasn't having any fun at the end.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

So are they basically done with the official campaign, then? Aside from those of you who fell through the cracks or whatever. I'm just wondering if now would be a good time to start addressing FistFace the Frost Giant and Stumps the Handless Giant.

Also, who is it we contact again? I know the info has been posted here before but it was some time ago.

I sent an e-mail about my armless ogre to customer support, and they said they'd address it when the shipping was done.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's like a fantasy version of a Dick Tracy villain, or maybe The Tick.

If it were The Tick, he'd probably be The Handyman.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I really hope Bones II doesn't hit when I am as broke as last time (it will, I am always broke). I also hope it includes the 'Man Being Eaten by Beetle Swarm' and 'Overloaded Henchmen' models.

Overloaded Henchman was in Bones I (Townsfolk II), so I'd be surprised if it's in Bones II.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think it might be that they looked at the number of e-mails from people with one or two little mistakes and said "there is no way we can afford to ship ROW twice." (and thus need to check each order, even though each is in theory "ready")

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zurai posted:

Wash them. Seriously, don't even need soap, just use your fingers or an old toothbrush to scrub all around for a couple seconds under some running water. Once you do that, you don't even need primer.

I was priming all of my Bones until I finally just starting painting directly on them (clean). It worked fine, but I don't thin my paints as much. I also tried one with gesso as primer, and that seemed to work ok too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

There were a number of games like that back then. The oldest one I remember was Monster Squash (1980). Even Dragon magazine got in on the act and published its own rules for clay monster combat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Their clever scheme of dealing with defective minis by sending store credit succeeded in getting me to buy still more minis to get the free shipping. I will be suspicious if one of these in turn arrives defective.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Is that what they did? Because I got a notice that they're sending my the missing parts from my two giants.

That's what they did for me -- an ogre missing an arm and a miscast familiar. Maybe it made more sense to send parts for giants and larger?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

19 hours!

that's... 7 Am pacific, if I'm not mistaken. I should be up at 7:45 tomorrow morning (godawful 8 AM tuesday meeting, ugh) so I'm hoping to get in on some kind of early-bird deal. I hope they're not gone in the first hour. :ohdear:

There weren't any early bird deals last time, just limited slots for greens and other treats. The greatness of the deal simply came from their blowing past stretch goal after stretch goal, adding more minis to the deal at the same price, which in turn made more people pledge.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

krushgroove posted:

I got my first shipment today, 48 paints, yay! But where are you seeing they're doing paints with this one? Just refreshed the KS page and they're not mentioned yet.

They mention the new goals in the updates "long" before they show on the main page.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I got two cases last time and really regret not having spent that money on add-on minis instead. They really are not great. I am not even sure why you need foam to protect plastic minis, and they have so many dudes with staves and swords upraised that you'd have to do a lot of work to get Bones to fit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I like the models of the Egyptian expansion but assuming the mummies are human scale and everything else in the picture is to scale with those, then that's not a lot for $50 by Bones kickstarter standards. Maybe not even by Bones retail standards, though I don't know.

Then there's the fact that I'd effectively be paying $150 for it since I currently am not really sold on the core set.

Goddamn it Reaper. Make it easier for me to give you money.

The giants from Bones I (around the size of the big things in the expansion) are $8-10 retail, so yes, the expansion is already a good deal (the initial offering has 5 large minis plus smaller ones that will retail for less). It is cool if you (all, not just JerryLee) don't like those minis, but don't talk yourself into a bizarre alternate reality here: they're still a bargain at the price already (equivalent to the "$10 for two bigger things" +$ add-ons, easily less than retail), will be an even better bargain with the nigh-inevitable first expansion of the expansion, and will definitely be a good deal if it hits the second level.

Indolent Bastard posted:

These core expansion sets look really bad so far. I'm not paying 50% extra for stretch goals.

So are you ok with +$ add-ons, but not ok with add-ons that also improve as the KS gets better funded? Or are you not ok with stretch goals in general that are +$ add-ons?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

So I ran a few numbers based on what's up on the Kickstarter page, because I'm a data junkie when it comes to my kickstarters. Note that these numbers don't include any of the Dungeon Dressings, which I don't care about, and the paints or the cases.

If you pledge the core and all the add-ons that aren't paint, cases, or terrain, right now you're looking at $294.
The core is 135 figs for $100, or $0.74 per fig.
If you go all in, you're paying $294 for 207 figs, or $1.42 per figure. That does include all the big dragons and whatnot.
The $50 core expansion is currently 25 figs for $50, or $2 a fig.

I'll keep updating these numbers as we go for my own personal edification, and can keep posting here if this is of interest to anyone.

I think it's pretty relevant and interesting. I guess my perspective is different, because my local retailer has a rack of Bones, and I have seen a wall of how much more these retail for. It's nice to know how good the deal is!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings!

I didn't realize the cube came with two slimes, so that has changed the figure totals slightly for Bones II.

Bones I
231 figures in the core set
$0.43 per figure for the core set
$342 total to go "all in" and buy 1 of all the add-ons
At a cost of $1.27 per figure if you did that.

Bones II as of 10/3
135 figures in the core set
$0.74 per figure for the core set
$294 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1
At a cost of $1.40 per figure if you did that
Including $50 for 25 figures in Core Expansion 1
Or $2 per figure in Core Expansion 1.

Edit: Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions!

Do you have the figures at hand for the retail value of Bones I? The Vampire set is now $325, with individual sale of all of its parts putting it higher, but I don't know what they add-ons amount to. Kaladrax is like $75 on his own, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

edit: oh yeah also, Reaper Bones II attracted just 209 new backers today, and $35k of pledges. At that rate we won't hit the next stretch goal until Monday. I think it's expected that this will lose some momentum but this is too steep of a momentum-loss and Reaper need to do something this week to renew interest.

Clearly Reaper needs to do something to salvage the disaster of a Kickstarter that's only approaching 5,000% funded.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am one of the early-bird backers who just hasn't bothered to re-calculate his pledge, because I don't want to re-do it every time a new expansion gets expanded. I like what I'm seeing, but I have to decide how much I like what I can see close to the end, primarily to decide whether I stick with the core or go a la carte.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ritorix posted:

Does anyone have the $30 figure case? Is that worth getting for storing painted Bones or should I just keep them in a baggie or something? Where do people keep 200+ figs anyway?

I got two last time and regret it -- I could have had $60 more in minis. Far too many don't fit in the existing foam spaces (either too small or too big). I have been keeping mine in a Plano box, and since I'm not worried that much about my terrible paint jobs, will be my solution going forward.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JackMann posted:

If you're in the US, and you don't have a PO Box, your order probably shipped today. They basically finished all the orders that could be shipped via UPS. It's just the USPS orders from Wave I that didn't get completed today (though some did make it through the door). They should be the first ones loaded up tomorrow.

Paolomania posted:

Sounds like me. I'm wave 1, continental US, pledge manager completed over a year ago, and no tracking emails to be seen.

Yeah. I don't have a PO Box, was order #9xxx, and am Wave 1, and didn't hear anything. Not that I needed it to go out today, but I think they still have some stuff left.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I did get my email later last night.

:boom: Hi there! We're shipping out your Kickstarter stuff!:boom:

You're getting:
Beast Mode! x1
Bully for You x1
Swamp Things x1
Under the Sea x1
Pathfinder Heroes x1
Savage Worlds x1
Chronoscope Pulp Heroes x1
Mister Bones x1
Bag O' Bases Medium x1
Bag O' Bases Large x1
Hill Giants x1
Master Series Paint Set x1
Master Series Paint Set 2 x1
Troll Slayer Sophie x1
Barbarians x1
Greedy Adventurers x1

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sure everyone is carefully reading each other's lists so that we all know what we are all getting, because that's interesting.

I do look to see whether people got the Core Set and the Dragon. The core set looked underwhelming to me, and I decided not to get the dragon because seriously when am I ever going to use that in a game?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JackMann posted:

According to UPS, my shipment weighs about as much as the average three-year-old.

I am a little creeped out that UPS knows so readily how much the average three-year-old weighs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

This wave thing is really dumb. Who needs to get their minis to sit on a shelf unpainted faster?

People who don't have unpainted minis from Bones I and II. People who are not me.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

Why are the lizard minis not available as an add-on? I really want to get them, but there's just so much stuff in the core set that doesn't interest me. I can take or leave so much of the stuff in there, but lizards.

The (cool) lizardmans also already exist as Bones, so . . . you could just go buy them.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hey thread, I have a Wave 1 Shipping pledge I'ma back out of. I can't justify spending $100 on more unpainted minis when I still have most of Bones I and II unpainted, and while some of Bones III are cool and the paints are a good deal, I can also just buy stuff later. So, hey, shortly after this gets posted, I'm canceling. Maybe one of you can grab it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

If you've not yet done so, I'd like to bump up mine to wave 1. Add me on steam and we can coordinate it better if you'd like. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spessmarine/

Sorry about that! I really did let it go right after posting. :(

• Locked thread