Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
/m/ is really terrible. They don't have the appreciation for how utterly ridiculous and awesome most tokusatsu is. If it's not power rangers or super sentai, they hate it with a burning passion, especially the older rider shows.

I like Aesir's subs. Basically any show that I don't have to rely on tv-n for, I'm really grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

RBX posted:

Well they hate Showa so it's easy to ignore them only off that.

You. You I like.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Justin_Brett posted:

You guys do know it's only a troll who says that, right?

Yeah, but it's disheartening when you're trying to have a discussion about it and some moron is making GBS threads all over the place.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

HKR posted:

Why are you trying to have a discussion on /m/?

Didn't know better!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Don't go to 4chan then.

'kay. I like the conversation here a lot better.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

HKR posted:

If the thing standing between watching a series or not is lack of non TVN subs, watch the TVN subs. Any non Japanese speaker that has watched that series did the same.

TVN is bad, but so is not watching the series.

This is what I've had to do with Kamen Rider Blade, Kiva and Kabuto and will probably have to do with Ryuki as well.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

everythingWasBees posted:

Since series recommendations are still a topic of discussion, what about Showa Rider series? I'm planning on watching Kamen Rider, V3, Black, and RX, but are there any other must sees? Are there any I should avoid?

Am I late to this party? In my opinion you should add Amazon and Stronger to the 'to watch' list, because they are full of awesome moments and great 70's wtf moments. RX was OK, I'd watch that last, but make sure to watch Amazon.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I finished Blade recently and was pleasantly surprised at how overall good it was. I was a little worried about it because it came out just after Faiz, which I absolutely HATED.
Just couldn't get into it.

I wonder now how much of that was just the translation or if it truly is just bad?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ah, good then it sounds like I'm really not missing anything by...well...giving it a miss. I like the suits though.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Daler Mehndi posted:

I watched Kamen Rider Wizard up to episode 42. I don't think I can go through another 10 episodes of this, when there are better things to watch. Could someone summarize what happens in the final ten episodes? I tried reading what was on Wikipedia, but I found the summaries are more confusing than helpful.

I find it preferable to make the endings up. It's really not worth it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

Correction: Tsukasa shows up for the last two episodes and should not be skipped. :swoon:

These were pretty much the only episodes of Wizard worth watching.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I think we're all losing focus on the fact that the most awesome man in Kamen Rider is back as Kamen Rider.

I would watch an entire season of Hiroshi Fujioka being Kamen Rider again, I don't care how old he is.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Literally The Worst posted:

Yes but it's been licensed.

And worse, it's been licensed but unreleased anywhere. GAAH.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Kiva gets a bad rap, it's essentially a J-drama with toku fighting in it. It was entertaining and as long as you go into it without grand expectations, you'll enjoy it. Awesome monster design.

Faiz was terrible, the suits were great but everything else was just completely unwatchable.

Kabuto is pants-on-head retarded Everyone is a worm. Everyone. without a likable character to be found. Really great suits though, and good fighting and cinematography, so, you know, enjoy that. Great monster design too, for that matter.

As for great endings, they consistently end poorly. Fourze and W had some powerfully good endings, Wizard has a fantastic ending because by the time it's over you're glad you never have to watch that bullshit again, OOOs had an ok ending, but the wheels had come off a long time ago (due to real life events, tragically) and it felt a little frayed around the edges.

I'm torn on how I feel about Black's ending, on one hand I feel like it kinda had a cop-out in the last episode, where his sister and friend were like "And we can never go back, gee I miss him..." and he's all sad and stoic because he can't, what, hop a goddamn plane?

I think the moral of this long ramble is: "If you go in not expecting much, you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more," and "Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax.""

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 13, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Thing is, that's not what happened at all.

The girls were talking about going BACK to Japan once everything settled, and Kotaro wasn't sad because they were gone, he was sad because he killed his brother.

And then in RX the girls ceased to exist because RX is a lovely sequel.

OHHHHHHH Motherfuck that was some bad translation! That makes the ending SO much better now, thank you, you rescued my favorite kung-fu grasshoper person from ending horribly! Thank you!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Serperoth posted:

Masami Obari did his own take on ToQ-Oh's attack:

:allears:

Yup, that's as Obari as gently caress.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

HKR posted:

Leaving on a plane wednesday night, would like to catch up on my toku shows while in the air. What's the best recommended way to play 10bit, x.264 encoded files on Linux? Please tell me something besides VLC.

Mobile vlc actually works pretty well. Love it on my iPad

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I am so totally pumped that KIT is back to subbing stronger. It is one of my favorite Showa shows and they are doing such a bang up job doing it I feel thrilled every time I see jeeg's release notes.

I guess what I am saying is Stronger is awesome and you should all watch it and kit is awesome for subbing it.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

toomanyninjas posted:

I just got a promotion and pay raise, so someone better convince me buying a W Driver is a terrible idea and a waste of money.

Do you have any outstanding bills that need taking care of?

If no, then go for it! Otherwise, remember to take care of your responsibilities before you have fun!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Solaris Knight posted:

I don't get why everyone's down on TQG, it's not exactly setting the world on fire on Gaim, but it's nice to chill out and enjoy some train robot action once a week, especially during crunch time for most students.

Personally I like it, but I never really expect very much from sentai, it hasn't really evolved from the same monster of the week formula in decades so it's easier to forgive how plot light it is. I don't expect a whole lot from my half hour toy commercials.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'll admit, I didn't like OOO's. I thought it was too slow and that it kind of disappeared up its own rear end somewhere in the middle of the show, and dropped a LOT of plot threads, but considering the earthquake that happened in the middle of it, it's forgivable.

It also had some of the best characters in any series so far, even to this day I still wish that they'd found a way to keep Cake-boss on board, it would have made Wizard that much better.

Still, OOOs wasn't terrible! It was just 'ok', and when taken with W and Fourze, it just kind of disappeared into the background.

Wizard was still awful though, it had nothing to save it like OOOs did, it was just bleh all the way through.

Fortunately, Gaim brings things back up to par, and beyond.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
The suit is really ugly, but despite that the show is awesome. Also, his Kadoki arms suit is WAY better lookin'.

It's still not as good looking as Super-1's outfit, but let's face it, what is?

Wizard's suit was really nice looking, but the show was garbage. Fourze's suit is STILL weird looking, but it was a good show.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I've noticed that if I watch shows that film in that format long enough it stops bothering me, but it is always a little jarring for the first coupla episodes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Counter-counterpoint: Rinko was an awesome concept, did absolutely nothing in the series and was as useless as the rest of the half-assed Rider Club Haruto had. Nitou, for how cool he might be or not, had to be forced into episodes so we'd remember his existance, as the series seemed completely against letting him have any sort of importance to the plot until the very last second. The belt, while definitely awesome, could get irritating. I'll give you the monster suits.

Corollary: Mother loving Shunpei.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twistys Rapture posted:

Here's the difference between Wizard and Decade. Haruto feels that he is the only one able to save people and the world whereas Tsukasa is just aloof

And Shunpei is literally the exact same character as GokaiSilver

Sweet, now I know that I need to avoid Gokaiger.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Amazon improves Wizard 100%

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
:argh: damnit, twisty.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
God drat this week's episode of Gaim sucked.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

FortMax posted:

After Goseiger is finished, Millionfold Curiosity is going to be subbing Gingaman, and then Ohranger.

https://twitter.com/MegaAnon/status/468890348727857153

Oh. Well, I guess someone else will get around to super-1.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be the dumbest loving poo poo ever, but it's one of my favorite rider series's at the moment. It'd have to end really poorly for that to change.

I've got a soft spot for karate bugmen, and the only one I couldn't actually get any enjoyment out of was Faiz (10 eps in, I just dropped it.)

Or Wizard, which was really awful.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twistys Rapture posted:

When Gaim came out everyone's reaction should have been "Look, they literally don't give a poo poo anymore"

that is a true statement, I am glad I was wrong though.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Out of curiosity, Twisty, what did you think of Den-o?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Twistys Rapture posted:

It was good until Hana became young for no reason (actress left, I know) and the ending was soooo bad. But the characters were fun

I gotcha, we just have different rider tastes is all. Cool man, I know where we stand now. Maybe there's a rider we can both agree on, good or bad?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

It didn't even make a full season. So very sad. :smith:

Seems like it was the Ginga of its time.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

V-Men posted:

Yep, that's Kabuto.

What're people's opinions on Kiva? It seems like it has everything I'd want. Fantasy, secret organizations fighting monsters, and parallel stories. So what's the catch?

If you compare it to Twilight, it's good.

Really though? It's not terrible, it of course, comes off the rails but it does have some gorgeous designs and great fights. The fangire suits are INCREDIBLY detailed and just gorgeous to look at, mostly, save for a few that are ridiculously over-designed.

There are one or two moments of "WE'RE JUST DOING THIS FOR THE TOYS" where something gets used for maybe one or two episodes and then never again.

I agree with Rei, IXA is an awesome suit, and Kiva's base form is also excellent. The fights are good, have a sense of feral brutality.

So, the catch is: It's a Rider show, it's kinda goofy with good fights and great costumes, but the characters are doofuses.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'm giving Faiz another try. Wish me luck.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

Kamen Rider Drive stars Nathan Fillian as a man coerced into taking part in a road race across Japan. Things start to get weird when he discovers a Gaiamemory and the Shocker goons who will do anything to retrieve it.

What, so they're gonna rip off outlaw star again?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

A Rider Show ripping off Outlaw Star? That-- doesn't sound that bad to me! v:v:v

Now that you mention it, that would be amazing.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Brinty posted:

From what I've seen it looks like viewer numbers are a smidge higher than wizard but not much but that the toy sales are doing amazingly well.

Are the toy sales doing better than Wizard at least? I really hate Wizard and would hate to think that something far superior to it isn't doing any better.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Perigryn posted:

Haruto would've been amazing if he was stage magician who's not above cheating in fights.

Basically what I'm saying is I want a Joseph Joestar-like Rider.

Wizard: Squandered potential all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dexie posted:

At least Wizard had pretty great suit designs, right? And some pretty good music? That's two good things we can say about it, right?

The music was actively terrible, including and ESPECIALLY the opening.

• Locked thread