Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Leperflesh posted:

Dragon guys: not realistic enough. Magic: perfectly fine.

Well that's sort of the problem with typical fantasy and D&D in particular. They have shaped expectations for decades, and in such ways that some things seem very realistic and others not at all, even though they're both wildly out of theme for medieval Europe.

Simple example: firearms. Lots of people object to the presence of gunpowder in D&D because they want to "keep it medieval" but they have no problems at all with full plate armor. Which is ironic, considering that firearms were used in Europe for a long time before full plate was invented. I believe there are actually indications that full plate was developed because firearms were around.

That also goes for henotheism (google it), the presence of elves, the explicit answers that gods can give (including whether kings rule by divine mandate or not), wizards, and so forth. Your typical "medieval European" fantasy looks absolutely nothing like medieval Europe.

I guess that's just what people want though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Re: Athas, Planescape, and Spelljammer.

A weird trend I noticed even as a green gamer back in the 90s without internet is that you had these game lines with their own cosmologies and they all tried to establish their own supremacy over the others. Like, Planescape very clearly had the idea that all other campaign settings were a part of its Great Wheel cosmology somewhere. Dark Sun had its own, different cosmology and so it wasn't... except that Planescape said "nuh uh you belong to me!" just the same, probably in some Dragon article somewhere.

Spelljammer and Planescape coexisting is a bit of a nightmare. They both claim to model the multiverse and their models are somewhat contradictory, but they shoehorned it in anyway.

Ravenloft poached a bit of Dark Sun even though that shouldn't be possible.

It all feels a bit like petty office politics, different cliques trying to one-up each other over the lowest, most imaginary stakes of all time.

E:
I think supplements such as the Complete Book of Elves also weighed in on this, explaining the various sub-races across all game lines with an evolutionary chart or something? Saying that they all came from the same original stock, something like that.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2016

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Payndz posted:

At what point did specific settings become such a big deal in D&D, anyway?

As far as I can tell, the early to mid 90s. This is the era when 2e released Dark Sun, Planescape, and Birthright. Also Ravenloft as a whole setting of its own instead of just an adventure. It was the era of metaplot, and White Wolf had shown that people just loved the notion of factions. Just read the various cliques in WW material (vampire clans and such) and then compare them to the Planescape philosophy clubs.

You could easily port an adventure from Greyhawk to the Realms or maybe Dragonlance. But Dark Sun or Planescape... not so much.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Payndz posted:

Oh god, the rats. I did a test with the Caves of Chaos for 5e, and the rats resulted in a TPK before the characters got past the pit trap.

I mentioned this on the WOTC forums, and got snotty replies like "The rats shouldn't have been able to attack en masse because only [X] small enemies can fit in a square!" Well, A: I wasn't using squares because Theatre Of The Mind, and B: they're loving rats.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that 3e was made with the assistance of witchcraft. Because for some reason it managed to convince people that things had always been this way. I can't even begin to count the number of times someone said "4e changed this thing which all previous editions had", where all "all editions" of course actually means "only 3e".

It's not just people who can't know any better either. I play a bit of 5e every now and then (mostly an excuse to hang with my friends, not my system of choice) and they keep making mistakes like that. If the monster does X thing here then that will do Y and.... no, that was 3e. 5e doesn't work that way.

It goes the other way as well. A year or two ago we took a trip down nostalgia lane and played some 2e... and they still kept making those mistakes. Skill checks work like this, yes? Rogues can backstab if they flank, yes? This is done with an opposed strength check, yes? What do you mean monsters don't have strength scores?

I don't know how they did it, but 3e managed to convince almost everybody that it was the normal way of doing things which had always been like that. It's insane.

So yeah, then you have to playtest 5e and you get shouted down with bullshit about how many small enemies can fit into a square. Except that that wasn't even a rule back then. But good luck explaining that to people; it's D&D, so of course it's a rule even when it's not a rule.

thespaceinvader posted:

Fundamentally the playtest was not actually a playtest. It was a 'play this stuff we designed and fill out our forms which we've written so that you have no choice but to tell us what we want to know and we can make the next iteration exactly how we want it'.

I stopped bothering after maybe two iterations because they just couldn't care less about getting my opinions at all.

One of my favorite bits of that process was the "Does this feel like a [monster] to you?" questions. They'd give a description for gnolls or gnomes or whatever and then you'd have to answer how much it felt like it matched up with what you had in your head.

Except that has a couple of big and overlooked unspoken assumptions.

Does this feel like a gnome is not the same as what do I want out of the gnome. And multiple correct answers are possible. A garden gnome, an earth elemental, and Warcraft style engineering dudes all feel like gnomes to me. But that doesn't mean they are all the right choice for D&D - in fact, I'd say none of them are.

So yeah, good luck making a proper playtest with that kind of attitude.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dr. Quarex posted:

This reminds me of when my fellow Goon Captain Rat came back from Gen-Con excitedly with Iron Heroes about a decade ago, and passed it around our usual gaming table for everyone to peruse. The guy who typically GMs for us got, like, visually angry about the entire concept of a game that functionally eschews magic in a D&D-mechanical setting, and refused to ever play it. This is the same guy who hates 4th Edition for the usual reasons, and yet at least in the case of 4th Edition he played it a few times before deciding he hated it...whereas he would literally not even deign to spend a moment playing Iron Heroes because it so opposed his vision of what D&D is supposed to be. People have some very strong feelings about this for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

Although...now I see that Mike Mearls made Iron Heroes, so I just do not know what to think about who has done what bad thing in this hobby.

Iron Heroes is by no means perfect, it could benefit from a second edition and injecting some 4e- and 5e-concepts to replace the clunky 3e clutter. What I mean by that is, it's a flawed game and one can certainly refuse to play it over legitimate issues.

But "it eschews magic so it must suck"? Wow. Just... wow.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Wait, wait, wait.

Correct me if I misremember something, but...

So in 2000-ish, WotC made their OGL thing. They hoped that this would cause people to flock to their game. But over time it actually paved the way for Pathfinder, set up by a company which was once their ally.

Now in 2015-ish, WotC made their online publishing store thing. They hope that this would cause people to flock to their game. But now it actually paved the way for a competitor set up by companies which were supposed to have become their allies?

Yes? I mean... that can't be true, can it? I must be wrong about something here.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kai Tave posted:

(Snip Wuxia Weapons "cronk")
Things to take away from this:

1). In Five Moons, certain subsets of feats are called "cronks" :wtc:

2). Sean K. Reynolds still can't Monk.

3). People paid him $36k for this.

Wut?

So... if I take this, uh, "cronk" then I have to keep a detailed log of exactly when I wielded each weapon in the past? I mean I could wield a certain sword and then leave it home for safekeeping, but now I'm on a 125-day timer and will need to keep track of when I can no longer recall it? Are you loving serious? Are we back to Gygax's "YOU CANNOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT" territory?

Also, speaking as a bit of a purist who worked on several wuxia RPGs: the word "wuxia" doesn't refer to types of weapons. It's a type of genre. You might as well call a perfectly ordinary revolver a "spaghetti western weapon" or a typical arming sword a "Tokien fantasy weapon". See how dumb that sounds?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

ProfessorCirno posted:

The man has managed to drift from one outstanding failure to the next, destroying everything he touches, and yet still got hired again and again. And by people who overwhelmingly should've known better, at that!

Speaking of which: Pathfinder Online.

How's Goblinworks doing these days?

*checks around*

Their last update was two months ago (feb 29), when they said:
"The process to transfer Pathfinder Online to a new developer is progressing nicely, but our own deadline of March 1st for the transfer to happen has been pushed for a month or two."

So... you didn't meet your deadline then, and it looks like you didn't meet the deadline today either. So how's this working out for you guys?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Nuns with Guns posted:

There are lots of problems with implementing dungeons. Unity is not one of them.

Dungeons require us to have built a lot of art assets and environments. They require more AI programming. They require us to build more camera tech to deal with interior spaces. We have to write tech to manage the sorts of things you will expect in dungeons like doors, locks, switches, etc. We have to deal with the issues of line of sight and the load on the video system. It is almost like making another whole game. We just don't have the time or resources to work on that yet.

So on the one hand...
"Doing interior spaces is too demanding for our team."

But on the other hand...
"This game is all about building forts, and protecting villages, and buying taverns for LegitCash™ and all sorts of other interior spaces."

How? :psyduck:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kurieg posted:

I don't like the fact that they do a "Failures subtract from successes" thing.

Do they? The second post of the linked thread says that this is not the case. Perhaps it was like that at some point in an early playtest and it got changed later? Remains to be seen if Star Trek has such a failure-cancels-success thing.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Jesus Christ. :eek:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cup-and-Ball Proficiency: Your armor check penalty no longer applies to cup-and-ball checks

Improved Cup-and-Ball: You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity when playing cup-and-ball in a threatened square
Prerequisites: Dexterity 17, Combat Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +2, Cup-and-Ball Proficiency

Cup-and-Ball Expertise: You gain a +2 bonus to cup-and-ball checks while standing in normal terrain
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +6, Improved Cup-and-Ball

All of which are prerequisites for the Ball-Cupper prestige class. Nobody quite cups the balls like they can.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Leperflesh posted:

I'm the GM who made the encounter with the rock exactly 151 feet away that the druid/sorcerer/wizard caaaaan't quite reach due to the range of the spell being only 150 feet.

[puts on his robe and munchkin hat]

When a spell is "Wiz 5" it actually means it's a 5th level spell, which requires a 9th level caster. (Because Jesus Christ, Dungeons & Dragons, what the gently caress are you even doing?) In other words, the tower is comfortably within the 190' range.

On the other hand, a range of "medium (100 + 10/level) is a 3e style of notation and verboten in 5e.

On the other other hand, assuming for a moment the spell's range was really 150 feet, only the spell's point of origin must be within range. With an area of "cube", the point of origin is a point stuck to the outer edge of the cube (see PHB p. 204). So the spell can reach 150 feet and there create a bunch of cubes, which project outward, jutting out of the spell's maximum range by 9 feet, which should be plenty to destroy the supporting walls of a tower.

[/puts on his robe and munchkin hat]

(For the love of god, somebody send help.)

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not attacking you, Sage Genesis, I'm just using this as a case study. I know a lot of the complaints about 4e when it came out were supposedly because it nerfed spellcasters or turned spellcasting into something more like World of Warcraft. But I look at this loving mess and think holy poo poo, why would a player playing a spellcaster, or especially a GM dealing with one, put up with this crap? I certainly did, but only when I didn't know there was a better way.

Oh, I don't feel attacked at all. We're both just poking fun at the way D&D handles spells.

senrath posted:

Actually, the maximum range is the maximum range. Any area of a spell that would extend past the listed max range just doesn't happen.

For some strange reason I was thinking of the 5e spell rules.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Ferrinus posted:

There's a Wall of Ice in 4E, although it's higher level. IIRC You can actually fly as early as level 6 in 4E, but 1/day, only for five minutes, and you have to keep spending minor actions to stay aloft.

There is also the Pouch of Frozen Passage, a magic item which has literally just one single function: make bridges of ice over bodies of water.

When it comes to "freeze water into a bridge", both 3e and 4e have explicit options to do it. They also both have cold-related powers which don't explicitly do this (ie. Cone of Cold, in either edition). The only real difference, IMO, is that 3e launched with a lot of "toy" spells and then gradually tightened up its balance as best as it could. Whereas 4e launched with tight balance, and then gradually introduced more and more "toys". If you look at both lines in their matured state, they're really not miles apart anymore. (Assuming you do the smart thing and ban all of 3e's PHB classes.)

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kurieg posted:

To the point that it looks like W:TA is backsliding to it's 1st edition roots.

In the sense that the Garou nation is run by utter morons and can only be saved by the Player Character's party and their amazing superpower of "Critical Thinking Skills".

Hm. That doesn't sound appealing. Source(s)?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Siivola posted:

Okay but what do you actually do with all that?

Good question. Those Atomic Bees sound lame. It's basically just The Jetsons Effect - you take a normal thing and slap prefixes on it ("space" in the case of The Jetsons).

So first you have some kind of bees, which live in hives and make honey. They pollinate flowers and if they sting you, you die. Now they're some kind of atomic bees, which live in nuclear hives and make atomic honey or whatever. There's also super-flowers and super-death if you get stung. This is basically the very lowest kind of "creativity" you can get.

Here, watch. I'll do it right now. I'll make uh... lunar bees. Sure.

So the moon itself is a giant hive, alright? And every full moon the lunar bees descend from heaven at night to drink deeply from the uh... I dunno, the night orchids which only bloom under the full moon? Sure. And their sting mutates you into a raging werewolf until the next dawn, so people think that it's some curse that repeats once a month and then they hang a guy and the problem doesn't repeat itself. Which is tragic because it was just an insect sting and nobody would've transformed next month (unless they got stung again of course) so the "solution" was just post-hoc correlation, lending my setting irony and pathos.

There. Am I creative enough yet? Do I get money now?

Wait. gently caress, I forgot about the honey. Uh... it's like this stuff which looks like molten silver and it's really great in some unspecified way. Cool, saved it.

Not convinced yet?

Ok, volcano-bees. They're these little obsidian bastards who fly out of the volcano once a century to drink up entire forests (they inhale the smoke, so it does involve burning the surrounding earth for miles around). Lava is actually volcano-honey. Your adventure is to rush into an evacuated town and steal all of its treasure while the volcano-bees get ever closes, a glittering swarm of roiling sparks. But be careful, besides the bees there's plenty of Bigger Animals and Quirky NPCs on your journey to contend with! On drivethru now for $5.99!

There's really nothing to this. Hoplite-bees, dragon-bees, nano-bees, junkyard-bees, chrono-bees, a child could do this stuff.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mr. Maltose posted:

Both of those sound really cool though actually? I'm putting volcano bees in my next game for sure.

Oh, sure, the bees are perfectly usable game elements. I just often see this high praise for "normal thing with a theme slapped on it" and I just... don't really get it? It doesn't sound hard to come up with this stuff, IMO.

Edit:

Ok, reading back I see I'm not expressing myself clearly and coming across as a bit of a dick. So let me try that again.

Neat concepts are cool, absolutely. I'm not trying to poo poo on atomic bees or volcano bees or whatever. My thing is, I think that concepts and stories are way easier to do than mechanics. (Or at least easier to do well.) So the idea of atomic bees is fine but I also heard they have a save-or-die and are worth the same xp as a ferret which is just bigger than normal? My reaction to that is: "Great so you gave me a concept but not the right mechanics. That's not all that useful, I could've done that concept myself."

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 10, 2017

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Ettin posted:

Give me the atomic bees and the space bees and whatever other cool bees you got. Bee me.

Clockwork bees emerge from their copper chrysalis with exactly 180 rotations left on their minute mainspring hearts. Every day the bees work on their hives of iron and bronze, go out to gather crude oil, and assemble new larvae from the tiny gearworks their queen produces. And every day their mainsprings make one rotation.

The advanced human empires employ veritable armies of beekeepers, harvesting their essential petrochem-honey.

You think the steampunk world is a bleak and smoky one? Naw, think again son. Go outside of the city and you'll see fields of oilslick-iridescent flowers as far as the eye can see, where the air is abuzz with the sound of springs and gears, ticking down.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Darwinism posted:

Hey screw you the BoVD movie was amazingly hilarious because it was so bad. Just imagine that the swarm dude is the protag and it's a much better movie.

I unironically love the scene where the little undead girl suckles on the taste of people's evil, as a sort of "purity test" for evil parties.
Especially when the protagonist, who had been doing bad poo poo to fake being evil so he could infiltrate the band, turned out to have fully slipped down the dark side by then. I thought that was pretty neat.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Leperflesh posted:

rape half-orcs are a direct result of doubling down on the "always chaotic evil" alignment descriptor used frequently in old-school D&D.

[useless nitpick]
Pre-3e, orcs were lawful evil.
[/useless nitpick]

For some odd reason you rarely hear grogs about that. I don't know how they did it, but for tons of people I know, both in the meatscape and online, "nostalgia" is synonymous with 3e/PF.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

moths posted:

Objectionable posters can also be silenced with the Ignore feature here, which goes a long way towards mitigating high noise / low content blowhards.

It puts the onus of policing tone onto the individual user, rather than forcing moderators into the impossible task of arbitration between any two individuals whose boundaries don't align.

Determining the content a user can and cannot post far more challenging, unhealthy for the community, and problematic than just empowering users to choose whose content they view.

That can make the forum very unappealing to new posters though. If I start to throw n-bombs around on RPGnet from now on, and some prospective new member reads that, can we really expect them to sign up for an account and put me on ignore? Or is it more likely they'll just nope the gently caress out and stay away forever? (I'm assuming the prospective poster is a person of good taste. Seeing that kind of poo poo go unmoderated can also quickly attract an entirely different sort of crowd.)

That's a bit of an extreme example of course, but not by much. I recall the old Exalted Compendium site's forum in... 2002? Ish? Anyway, there was this one obnoxious poster who just had to hurl the most obscene kind of gutter language around all the loving time and it seriously drove people off because there was no moderation to be found.

Not saying RPGnet moderation is flawless or anything, but some of these proposed fixes... aren't.

edit: ninja'd

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 2, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mors Rattus posted:

While I appreciate what you're saying, there is a vast excluded middle between 'you may not say anything mean ever' and 'drop n-bombs all the time at will.'

I did say it was an extreme example, and followed it up with a significantly less extreme one - and one which actually happened at that. I think we can all agree here that the n-bomb scenario is unacceptable. Good. But then what is acceptable? That we create an environment with lots of hostility and expect those who are turned off by that to use ignore lists?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Mors Rattus posted:

Gareth Michael Skarka

... Yeah fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dawgstar posted:

Eh, I wouldn't want to see you banned at the Big Purple, Kai. At the least I want to see how Morgrave turns out.

I'll never stop being weirded out by the idea that there are actually people following this game. Makes me even more embarrassed by my lovely posting lately.

• Locked thread