Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Copyright and Trademark violations are still violations regardless if they're for profit or not.

Half-life and Skyrim mods available freely for download can be Cease and Desisted if they contain copyrighted or trademarked materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jivjov posted:

I thought that was because of the wide distribution. If I sit at home and carve a perfect likeness of Darth Vader out of wood and give it to my dad as a gift, I'm pretty sure that's not copyright/trademark infringement.

The test for trademark infringement revolves around market confusion. It doesn't have to involve actual confused people, only the potential for market confusion. Even if you weasel the indiegogo as the customers giving money to the creator and receiving a "gift" in exchange, it's still introducing a product into the marketplace that could conceivably be confused as an official Disney product.

In your example you have still technically violated Disney's trademark but Disney won't likely come after you as you carved only one and its source is clear. They're also not going to go after a 6 year old for doing a Crayola(tm) drawing of Yoda for his dad to put on a refrigerator.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I'm more inclined to forgive OPP for this particular plagiarism slip up because they really come across as generic medieval dudes doing generic medieval things, unlike that time when WW published a blatant trace job from the cover art of one of the greatest action video games of all time.

The poser art is just plain embarassing, though.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

So what is the deal with this Werewolf book? I keep seeing people talking about it and on Drivethru it's billed as a book on packs and breed perspectives. Does it actually fulfill any of that in a meaningful way or is it just Infowars and the neo-fascist werewolf Swede-Drac was talking up in the past?

Despite some of the very dumb poo poo that White Wolf chose to add, I do find the book useful.

The expanded details on Regeneration and Shapeshifting, a la Forsaken's Blood of the Wolf, are welcome. I just choose to ignore the Gender sidebar and a few other bits.

The most interesting section, to me, is the chapter on Pack Structure. It effectively retcons the use of Alpha, Beta, and Omega that have been used since the beginning, to make up for the fact that the general public's understanding of wolf pack dynamics is largely bullshit. Now, there are Forsakenesque made up words (Zedakh, Uldakh, Taldakh) to describe those three positions, and they're much more about their respective role within the pack and have much less emphasis on a pecking order established via dominance.

DigitalRaven posted:

To be bluntly honest, I poured a lot of my heart and soul into WTA, then the Shattered Dreams sidebar happened, and then I got their edits to Changing Ways. At that point, I'm just going to get the book out with the changes that the property owners want, because they've demonstrated their opinion of my work so far.

For what it's worth, I greatly appreciate your efforts to pull the good out of WTA. Apocalypse, by proxy of the Rage ccg, is essentially what got me into tabletop gaming, so I will always hold it dear, despite the mountain of problematic content the game has. I do my best, in the games I'm involved in, to move the game forward into the 21st Century, and it's depressing to see that White Wolf wants to keep pulling it back.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 3, 2018

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Chill la Chill posted:

e: nightwatch was a good book. These games sound similar to that type of world. Is their fiction as good?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: IMO, enjoyment of fiction written about a gaming IP fully derives from prior enjoyment of the IP. If you're coming into the World of Darkness with no prior knowledge then you will find the fiction to be laughable. World of Darkness, at its core, is a very very silly game/setting.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lightning Lord posted:

Also I'm guessing WWP are gonna shut down nWoD soon

The don't really have all that much incentive to. They license out nWoD for Onyx Path to produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Rand Brittain posted:

Werewolf has always struggled to balance between the two elements of "you're a holy warrior of the planet struggling to save Gaia from absolute evil" and "also you are a rage monster and your people have made almost every single problem you face worse".

Struggling against the revanchist elements of your own culture is one of those things that's dramatically interesting and appropriate but also a lot of people find it tiresome because they do murderfurry roleplay to get away from that poo poo. Unlike Vampire, I don't think Werewolf ever found a happy medium.

Werewolf is very much a tonal mess. I've managed to forge a happy medium in my own head after decades of experience with the material and interpreting intent as best I can.

Nominally, W:tA should be and, in my opinion, is robust enough to handle a variety of themes and tones, but the written material so often swings so hard one way or the other that it leaves a confused player base that devolves into "one true way" arguments left and right.

Instead of reconciling all this, nuWW seems to want to put all their eggs into one tonal basket, which I suppose will be easier for a player base to grok, but ultimately makes the game weaker. Never mind the fact that what they're aiming for is dumb and edgelordy as gently caress.

• Locked thread