Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I want to apologize for disappearing from the coop game I was involved with a while ago. I'm not dead, but at the time our game was the last thing on my mind. gently caress cancer. The next time I join a pbem game with someone I'm sharing my password with a third party.

Just this week I started getting back into the hobby. I've spent a lot of time reading bout Kursk so I picked up Tiller's new Panzer Battles game. So far I really like it. It really does remind me of PanzerBlitz and his original Campaign series which were both great. I need to spend some more time with it, but so far I'm impressed.

I'm really tempted to pick up Command, but I have never played Harpoon. I'm afraid it's going to overwhelm me as I know little to nothing about modern naval combat and at $80 I'm real hesitant. Anyone want to sell me on it? I've always been extremely intrigued by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I really do not like Ageod games, at all, but I love Roman history. After playing their Civil War games I pretty much gave up on the company. Are their games still as convoluted and poorly documented as they were? I'd be willing to give it a try at that price if their game system has improved somewhat.

HPS's Ancient Warfare games are convoluted as hell, also uses a strange wego system, are ugly, but have excellent documentation and is quite fun once you figure things out. The dev is extremely approachable. I sent him an email asking a few questions about setting up some scenarios and not only did he answer my questions he sent me a free copy of one of his older titles, my choice. They come with all kinds of editors and you may even be able to find an MP game over at the blitz. Definitely worth a look if you can get over HPS.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Too bad. I'll stick to Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War which is an absolutely fantastic game that more people should buy.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Command Ops and its expansions are not going on sale either.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I enjoy playing Battle Academy 2 on my ipad, MP is fun. It's definitely a beer and pretzel game.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

A new John Tiller game was released today. I just got an email about it. Here. I would like John Tiller games if the AI wasn't so loving dumb. The single player scenarios are usually pretty drat awful.

I need to learn how to play WiTP one of these days, I always get stuck on the first turn. I've played through the smaller scenarios a couple of times but those really don't help me with the grand campaign and following some poorly written guide for 3+ hours is not my idea of a fun afternoon.

DC:B is fun.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone else in this thread own any of either of Tiller's Panzer Battles games? I really like them. I like the scale, the scenarios are interesting IMO, the rules are well spelled out (nothing hidden under the hood), and I'm a total rear end in a top hat and actually like the UI. I also like the Panzer Campaign series, but only the smaller scenarios, the larger ones are just painful to try to play out.

I own both the Panzer Battles games and a couple PzC games (Tunisia, F'14, East Prussia '14). If anyone would like to play some pbem send me a PM or something. I'm pretty poo poo at them but I'd enjoy a game with someone other than the god drat freaks that play on blitz.org who have been playing these things for 15 years and mop the floor with me.

The supplemental docs provided with the games are great too. They give a lot of insight into the design of the games and I've actually learned a fair bit about the battles themselves by reading the included pdfs.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 10, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Why do you people continue to give Battlefront money?! Wtf is wrong with you?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

WW1 turn-based games that I'm aware of:

France '14 (John Tiller Games)
East Prussia '14 (John Tiller Games)

I have both of these and want a pbem game!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I have all but East Prussia and Guns of August.

I'll need a few weeks to get up to speed on France '14. I haven't had much time to poke around with it yet.

Send me a PM when you're ready, I'll get up to speed on it as well. I'll watch the thread too.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Strategic Command 3 is really good you guys, you should buy it if you enjoyed the previous games or Commander the Great War. I'll stream and archive some of it after the holidays.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Oh I have it on Steam, I'm talking about the community pack that adds on extra database pictures and stuff. The base game through Steam was fast :)

The one on google drive? I just downloaded it in minutes.

I'm so sick and loving tired of you people talking about command that I'm going to play it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There has been a poo poo ton of stuff added to this god drat game since I last played it. I have a giant boner right now you guys.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Was "RTB When Winchester" renamed to something else?

Check the Air Ops section of the Mission Doctrine, EMCON, WRA window.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is steam and iron worth a purchase after playing the hell out of rule the waves?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I wish it was a little cheaper, I'd like to play some of the scenarios. I'll just start another campaign in RtW instead.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Will they give you a steam key for Northern Inferno? I was looking at their site and there isn't a "get steam key" link for it. I bought Command on steam and I don't want to have to keep track of what expansion I bought where.

I'm still playing Strategic Command 3 and it's still good. It and Command have been eating up all my gaming time.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Stupid question, but is there a way to get rid of the rectangle/triangle shapes that are conveying what I assume is contact ambiguity in CMANO? It adds a ton of clutter and is sort of driving me nuts in the first scenario in Norther Inferno.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I did that and it is helpful, but the guy in this video has none of the areas of uncertainty displayed. It it just because he's playing an older build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgHgl49IFCU

I even followed along to see if I was doing something dumb, because I suck at the game, but it didn't help.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The third scenario in Norther Inferno is a poo poo show. I finally finished it but I lost most of the MTBs you are given. If the Soviets hadn't wasted a bunch of missiles sinking poor fisherman I probably wouldn't have finished it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently Command Ops 2 is on sale at Lock and Load. Does anyone have any experience with the newest version? I loved the last iteration Matrix released. I was thinking about picking it up but I know nothing about it's current state and Lock and Load as a publisher.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Barents Sea Boomers, the 4th scenario in Northern Inferno, is super fun after having just finished Blind Man's Bluff (which is a fantastic book). I'm really impressed with NI, it's good. I wish I would have bought it sooner because it's a great intro to CMANO.

I got drunk and bought all of the modules for Command Ops 2 because they are on sale a few nights ago. Knock On All Doors is crazy. All the scenarios are huge and crazy difficult. The new UI is goofy but the game is still fun. Apparently it's coming to Steam soon too. I'm hoping it does well, I want an eastern front module or 2.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 21, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If you want to learn how to play Command Ops 2, look at this poo poo. Look at that poo poo regardless because it's one of the best AARs I've ever seen.

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/command-ops-2-return-to-st-vith-tutorial-aar-part-1-pages-1-30.85/

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Are there any good western front WW2 games other than War in the West?

Command Ops 2 is on sale right now. Here's a link to the base client which is free, it has 3 scenarios and you buy modules which contain 12+ scenarios each. There are 6 or 7 modules available.

https://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=193

The last one released on Matrix.com (CO Battles from the Bulge) is extremely good, probably my favorite wargame. They did some wonky poo poo with the sequel. When it was first released it felt like a patched version of Command Ops Battles from the Bulge, which I already owned, and to top it off they decided to charge for the same scenarios included with the Matrix version. I wrote it off until a this current sale.

Now that it's been out for a while it's improved quite a lot. The AI is much better all around, the janky new UI actually does streamline a lot of stuff once you wrap your head around it, and they've added some neat features that make command and control even more interesting.

Between 3 or 4 of the modules the game covers drat near the entire Battle of the Bulge, which is awesome. I bought the whole drat thing because I finished Beevor's Ardenne 1944 recently and was jonesing for more Command Ops. I played through the Race for Bastogne scenario today and it was a lot of fun.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 23, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

If you decide to try it out look for the tutorial video on YouTube by the developer. He explains how orders are passed down from HQ which is important if you want to do things like coordinate attacks. Force and unit delay are key as is command load and capacity. You can just issue orders to entire divisions and let the ai do the work, but the best scenarios require you to micro to some extent.

Edit: Here it is. Phone posting sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ga4p6Saiwc&feature=share

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 23, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm drinking whiskey and simulating the reign of our God Emperor Trump in CMANO right now guys. Merry Christmas!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I dug out Panzer Battles Normandy tonight because it apparently it got a rather large patch last month, and man there sure are a lot of counters in that game. Anyone own it or Kursk and want to PBEM?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Which Combat Mission game has the best campaign and is the most fun?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently I already own Battle for Normandy and now I'm trying to decide if I want to pay for patches. Battlefront sucks.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

OK I tried the free scenarios in the CO2 engine - but I'm not sure what the upgrade is beyond filling the screen with menu windows.

Here's a thread that goes over the changes. http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/co2-changes.1010/

Most of the changes are to the UI. The UI was pretty terrible before and it may be even worse now, I haven't decided yet. The new overlays and the ability to display multiple force and task windows is a nice addition, but poo poo gets cluttered real quick and it's annoying. Apparently you can move all the stupid dialog boxes to a 2nd monitor, which would be nice, but I don't have 2 monitors so I don't know how well that actually works. I do like the way units scale depending on zoom level and the "Extended Force Icon Information" feature.

Here's a list of the AI changes. http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/p/3340

I honestly don't know how most of those changes effect game play. It's been a long time since I've played CO, but I've noticed I'm having to babysit units less than I did in the past. For instance attached artillery seems to pick appropriate targets and provide better support. Reserve and support units act more like I want them to which makes attack orders seem less chaotic.

Really, all of this stuff could have been implemented in a series of patches. I think what really happened is that Panther Games wanted to change their business model by giving away the actual client and then charge for the scenario packs instead of releasing a new game every couple of years. Maybe Matrix didn't agree with that model so they found a new publisher? I'm not sure it's worked out for them because now they are moving to Steam in an attempt to draw a larger audience and the developer has hinted that future development of the game depends on how well the game sells there. That's a shame because it's such a niche title I don't think it's going to sell.

On the bright side the new scenario packs are good and it's still Command Ops. It's a very unique title that I happen to really enjoy so I hope things go well for them. I'd really like to play Command Ops Eastern Front in some form or another.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I seriously doubt it's going to sell even if he does get it on Steam. At least I still have a ton of scenarios to play through.

I'm trying to remember how to play Combat Mission again this morning, and while the game is fun, the fact the frame rate is still garbage makes me mad. I don't mind poo poo graphics but wildly variable frame rates literally give me a head ache, it's dumb.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I know now why I forgot I bought CMBN. I just don't get Combat Mission. I am HORRIBLE at it.

While looking at that thread on WITE2 I ran across a blurb that lead me to a post on some other forum where I found this.

quote:

We are doing this while also working on a new tactical game inspired by Gary's old Steel Panthers series, something we are working on jointly with the Matrix development group. We hope that one or both of these games will come out in 2017, although this part of the post will self-destruct within 30 days and I will deny ever saying it.

That's exciting stuff IMO.

Also, I'm still looking for someone to play either Panzer Battles or one of Tiller's WW1 games with me. Someone here has to own one of these.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 27, 2016

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've got both Tiller's WW1 games, but I'm stretched pretty thin for the next few months so if you can't find an opponent, I can probably offer a turn a week.

Nice! Either shoot me a PM or post here when you're free to start.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I can start now, if you'd like. I'll play Entente, which means you can go first. I don't have PMs so you can email me at chris fogel @ pacifica index dot com

I don't really know what I'm doing with this game, so apologies in advance if I do something like blow up Fort Nancy with my own HQ inside.

All good, I'm horrible too. I haven't played it in years. I'll pick a small scenario to start with and send it your way tomorrow evening.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Oh man, your comment has me wondering if we're thinking of the same game. I'm thinking the France '14 or the East-Prussian '14 Tiller games.

Are you thinking the Squad Battles tactical WW1 game? I don't have that one.

Nope, I have both France '14 and East Prussia '14. There are some smaller scenarios, there's a couple that are only 6 turns long, and I figured that'd be a good place to start. If you'd rather go with one of the larger scenarios I'm all for that too.

The scenario 1914_0827_03s: The Fight For the Centre in East Prussia looks fun, is 22 turns long, and there aren't a million units to move each turn. Check it out and let me know what you think. If you want, email me at saaarsena at med dot umich dot edu.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I just dug out CM Normandy yesterday and realized I'm like 2 patches behind. That's dumb. If you buy a Combat Mission game do they sell you the current version or do you have to buy the game and then pay to patch it to the current version? I'm so confused.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

There would be pages upon pages of bad reviews because of the performance issues. I just built an i7 with a gtx 1080 in it and I still get 25fps if I point the camera at some bocage.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I really want to play WiTP but I don't know how and don't want to spend days reading boring AARs and forum posts. Someone please help. I have a beautiful guest room and lots of delicious beer, I'll put you up for a weekend and you can teach me how to play.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Baloogan posted:

lol as if a weekend can even scratch the surface of the first turn in WITP. lol, it takes IRL about 15-20 hours to plug in the Kull spreadsheet for your first turn

Look I don't even know what that means. I guess I'll have to settle and just play CMANO and NWS games until I die of cirrhosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

They sell the current version, but if you're behind then the 3.0 update still costs you $5 plus $10 for the 4.0 update.

I ended up getting a Command Ops 2 module - the north Africa and Malta maps that were never ported from COTA to CO1. Playing with it a bit more I do like some of the UI upgrades like having multiple status indicators on each unit. And at least Panther are giving steam a go even though this will have a much smaller audience than CM.

I know it's stupid but I really want Black Sea. I've watched some youtube videos of it and it does looks like a lot of fun. Since you get the current version I may give in and buy it, but I sure as hell am not going to start paying for patches. gently caress that.

I've spent most of today playing a few scenarios from the Westwall module in CO2. They are really good and I've come to the conclusion the UI isn't all that bad. I too like the multiple status indicators, especially coupled with the scaling unit option. Also, being able to have several task edit windows up takes a lot of tedium out of coordinating attacks which is nice. It's still one of my favorite games and it sort of bums me out we probably won't be getting CO Eastern Front. I just don't see it selling on Steam, hopefully I'm wrong and it does.