Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So I got Command: Modern Air Naval Operations.

This game. It is hard :(

Should I be micromanaging my aircraft in A2A combat, to get them to beam missiles/evade their "Cone" before they go active etc?

And for ships, should I just "Blink" my radars to scan things rather than leave them on? It seems doing the latter gets me force-fed a train of AShm's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Almost never turn your radars on your ships. They will turn their radars/jammers on automatically if they think they are under attack.

Your aircraft are your eyes (radars) and ears (ELINT).

If you don't have any cool aircraft use a sacrificial scout ship, and take it out of your formation (go into unit mode with 9 on the keypad, press D to detach them from the formation) have this ship take a different course, at a different speed. Turn on its radars, and ideally it should have powerful jammers too.

An LCS is a good candidate for a sacrifice scout. Can make 45 kts, relatively good radar.

Not only do you give away your position if you turn on your radars, but you also give away your fleet's composition, the different ships in your fleet can now be identified. All it takes is 2 hostile helos a bit away from each other to triangulate your location if you turn on your radar.

Don't 'blink' your radars either. As the USN you want helos to provide surface search radar and hawkeyes to do air search. A large part of Command is managing your ship's emissions.

One important exception is if you are expecting a ballistic missile attack you should turn your ballistic missile defense ships space search radars on. Nothing else can even spot a ballistic missile at altitude.

Modern naval warfare is a game of smoke and mirrors. :v:

Aircraft in Air to Air warfare should automatically beam missiles, if they have the doctrine to evade defensively enabled. Stealth is really hard to employ currently; its not just the technology but its a whole doctrine of needing standoff jammers and needing to attack when visibility is low: on nights with bad weather. If you fly a B2 at 12kft over north korea at noon on a clear day you will be spotted.

Is there anything I can do about the enemy jamming my missiles and radars? I'm having a ton of trouble in the Duelists scenario because when my 24 Sea Eagles go in for a target, they're all jammed!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gotcha :)

My final question for the night... why the gently caress do my planes suddenly take 6 hours to rearm, while others are extremely speedy? F-14's rearm fast as hell it seems, while my Sea Harriers and Buccaneers take a full 6 hours it seems!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jesus, it was 30 minutes in Harpoon? Thats loving nuts! :eyepop:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is that changeable in the scenario editor, or is it pre-determined via the database? i'm just curious, all the scenarios give plenty of time to rearm after all :P

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress, weird bug in Command: Modern Air Naval Operations. Enemy jets firing at the ghost/jammer contacts my EA-6 created were counting as actual kills! Gotta find the log, this was loving bizarre.

Like Su27's getting cannon kills on ghost-targets and killing a Hornet 100 miles away etc.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Grog-guards; take this man and put him in grog-prison and never ever let him out.

I'm beggin ya, Baloogan.

Get air-refueling fixed once and for all.

Even if it takes a bubble of like... 2-3 miles to refuel aircraft rather than directly atop.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

V for Vegas posted:

Early American missions in Black Sea have your Abrams up against T-72s! Fish meet barrel.

They're B3's though, arent they? So they're the best T72 atm.

Abrams is still the best around in Black Sea though. T90AM is very good though, just slightly outclassed ingame. Thankfully it doesnt have the 2A82 gun or it'd have the best gun ingame.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 6, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan posted:

If you want groggy modern/post-WWII naval combat there is Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations.

I'd say honestly, it seems to handle WWII even. In theory, couldnt you do a WWI mission with that albeit with a totally inappropriate interface?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SquadronROE posted:

How's the learning curve on making units do things?

Swear to god, it isnt that bad. Plus Baloogan has a chatroom/stream open like ALL the time. It got me to a competent state in a few hours.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Blitzkrieg 3 looks like it's worth keeping an eye on.

This one's got me suspect. 2 was sort of poo poo, but 1 was an absolute classic in my eyes. Some drat fine mods for it as well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd say the Lynch analogy is more apt.

Like there's some good stuff there. The armour stuff is taken from their tank sim series if I recall (so it's fairly competent), and the models aren't terrible.

It's just all so...incomprehensible though. Whenever I give orders, or think I'm giving orders at least, it's a crapshoot if I hit the right button, or if my troops will actually listen to me.

It feels more like a vague suggestion simulator than a strategy game.

Bought it, and already kinda regretting. Even at 80% off.

Wasnt their tank sim series the T-72: Balkans on Fire one? Their original site had a huge part trying to say "No, no, no the T-72 was NOT a bad tank the Gulf War was not a good example!" which was pretty hilarious, albeit true.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Naw, it was this one:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/286280/

Which explains why their modern campaigns had a weird Iran vs USSR one to shoehorn in M60A1s vs. T62s.

Ahhh, gotcha. Kinda a neat campaign though for what its worth.

On the note of Graviteam Tactics poo poo, how in the flying gently caress do I use mortars and offmap arty? I'm not having any luck versus entrenched inf without any arty to soften em with, and even loving recoiless rifles are kicking my APC's asses in Angola unless I commit an Olifant to shut it up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lichtenstein posted:

I like modern, because when playing NATO-vs-third-world style scenarios, I can actually aim for a no/minimum casualty run, which pleases my OCD. I care for my little plastic armymen. :unsmith:

I also feel like someone should make a more abstracted game embracing the focus on concealment and communication. Basically a non-horrible Naval War: Arctic Circle. Or a better RUSE I guess.

Hello, twin.

Also, I'm starting to dig Graviteam Tactics now. This Operations/campaign system is actually cool as gently caress. I really wish that Wargame (Eugen's series) had taken note and employed similar unit compositions etc.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got ZIS-3's from WWII eating my Ratels for lunch in Operation Hooper :( Is the best way to deal with such enemy positions armor/mortar/air support? The Ratels arent even returning fire at the loving thing, and are just being sniped by a loving WWII artillery field gun!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eskaton posted:

How do I not get my poo poo rocked in Graviteam? The best I've done so far is where I thought I'd set up an entrenched line around the enemy deployment to only find them on some flank where they met my BTRs (I lost that engagement, but they offered a ceasefire).

Set all settings to arcade, and if anyone asks you just shout "THE UI IS SHITTTTT!" at em like I do.

When the AI ceasefires, let em IMO. I'm on turn 7 of the Soviet/Iran campaign and currently about to get hit by a big ol' group of what looks like 24+ M60A1's. Going to try and flank super wide when they start moving and hope to god I can open up from the rear versus them for a few volleys. Wish I had a few more Hinds or Su25's, but nope. Only two Hinds so far :(

Air support is also super effective when you get it (which is pretty rare). Especially the Impala in the South African campaign, that thing kicks rear end. Bombs, then cannons, then rockets.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 13, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Uninstalled the gently caress out of Graviteam Tactics.

Had a full South African motorized group, two of em. 60 or so dudes I think? or maybe 40.

Were ambushing 2 T55's that rolled in the night oblivious to the group behind a dune, waiting for the tanks to clear it so they could fire.

Had Ratel 20mm's and 90mm's. LRAC's as RPG's. Range was <100 meters, it was going to be great.

When the moment came, only one guy fired his LRAC and it missed. The T-55's then gunned down the entire rest of the motorized group of infantry, who had all for some reason failed to fire. None of the Ratels even tried to fire, including the 90mm's.

Afterwards, a Milan team of mine fired at one of the remaining T55's. 6 shots, 2 hit.

Penned through the ammo and fuel compartments. No effect, it kept on rolling oblivious.

Fuccccck that poo poo.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 15, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panama Red posted:

Sorry for the late response but Supreme Ruler Cold War is pretty good. Definitely substance over style and it has a steep learning curve, but that seems like most grog games. You can play as either the USA or the USSR in campaign mode, or any country in sandbox mode. The politics options are pretty limited and gameplay is more oriented to war, but it's pretty good for a lesser done setting.

Gotta disagree on this one. Bad series from a studio that tried their best, but had too much on their plate to finish.

Game gets slower and slower too as the AI builds more and more units, refusing to sell/decomission old ones. The USSR was using T-10M's and MiG21's in 1990 as their main force, and France just kept building WWII-era half track infantry. It was ridiculous.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Battlefront humble bundle, please.

Thanks, Humble Bundle. Wherever you are.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, the RQ-11 in Black Sea is poo poo at spotting anything. Sent it flying over a field that had 2 teams of entrenched Kornets in it, and it failed to spot a single god drat thing.

In Shock Force, you could at least see trenches etc if you had a visual on that area. I can understand not being able to ID the individual guys from a tiny RQ-11, but it'd be useful if you could see "Oh, there are fortifications/trenches here" so you'd know to keep that area in mind for further investigation.

Are the bigger UAV's better? Hell, can I use an Apache for recon even to try and spot poo poo once the AA threat is dead?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

I'm dipping my toes into Graviteam Tactics once again and just about starting to get it. gently caress me they don't want you to like the game though. Top of the list scenario: play a turn at night because that's fun, also all your troops are exhausted and lacking heavy weapons and there's tanks coming for you.

I don't understand how resupply works.

The whole thing is loving weird. Graviteam felt like most of the things that should be automated werent, because that way people could claim the game demanded micromanagement on an administrative level in line with the game's theme Then the same people could justify alot of strange decisions and AI weirdness with "Well, it isnt meant to be played like a tactical RTS game, you need to trust the AI and acknowledge that people make mistakes under fire".

To a layman, this sounds like its just an excuse for lovely UI with poorly explained mechanics (re-crewing damaged tanks, resupply of units in the field as you mentioned) coupled with a lovely AI. I'm a layman. I live in shame :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

C'mon Battlefront summer sale. Dont be squares. C'mon.

I'm beggin ya.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So, Command: Modern Air Naval Operations is on the Monster deal thing on the Steam Summer Sale.

And I cant get the loving minigame to unlock it to load :psyduck:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Drone posted:

Sadly it'll never, ever be cheaper, basically guaranteed.

This :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope it sells well, and in some way helps shake-up the whack loving pricing system that is innate to Grognard games.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Baloogan posted:

Unfortunately steam only tracks if you have the matrix launcher open, not the actual game.

Is there any way you'd be able to share how well the sale helped actually move copies for you guys when its over? 50% off is loving huge.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Who'd win in a fight, the Charless de Gaulle battlegroup or India's refitted carrier battlegroup in 2017?

(the answer is the French, because Rafale M's uber alles, plus on-board AWACS, plus good sensors versus like 10 serviceable MIG29's, KA31 heliborne AWACS, and the latest missiles being the baseline SA-19 dont match well!)

Fun as gently caress scenario-wise though. loving Rafales are god drat beasts, Idk how to handle them with MiG29K's. Even AA-12's arent a huge reassurance. India DOES get one Akula class sub though, but only torpedos so no missiles etc :( French CIWS is actually very good too since they got that whole Sea Viper upgrade on all their ships. Not US-levels of good, but totally different from the Cold War french.

Command loving owns.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 2, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pimpmust posted:

The AI in Supreme Ruler is also *terrible*

They also are unable to sell/decomission old units, so performance goes to ABSOLUTE poo poo as the game goes on. They also refuse to upgrade those units tech wise, so France would have most tiles of its nation covered with Half Track Infnatry etc in 1990.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This the right thread for this, I hope?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470/

Nobunaga's Ambition has a new installment coming out September 1st. I barely remember the earlier titles from my childhood, but I think they were pretty groggy. Or is it more of a Paradox game in terms of complexity?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wooper posted:

My favorite CMANO scenario is one that shipped with the first version of the game and hasn't been updated since. One word to describe it would be 'unfinished'.

You are inclined to play it when you first get the game because both the difficulty and complexity levels are given as the lowest possible. This is because those are the defaults in the editor. :effort: The complexity level might is accurate because there is actually nothing going on in it.
As for the difficulty, the scenario is practically impossible as your enemy's air force is vastly superior to your own. You are tasked with gaining air superiority with Skyhawks against Flankers(or something like that).
The rest of the scenario consists of not finding a sub(that may or may not exist) with your ship(s) and walking an infantry unit into a zone, which triggers nothing.

Opening it in the editor reveals that there is nothing more to this scenario.

Thankfully 80$ buys you more than just this scenario.

Lmao the Columbia vs Venezuela one? The finest scenario.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there any way in Flashpoint campaigns: red storm to make your units hold fire until within a certain range/more likely to hit? Had 6 Avengers just exhaust their missiles at a Hind that was 5km out, so no hit chance. Same with Bradleys firing TOW's from 4+km.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Personally, found Graviteam disappointing due to AI glitches and the aforementioned atrocious UI. Worst I've personally seen in a game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hinds in Flashpoint annoyed the gently caress out of me with their spamming ATGM's on the move versus tanks that for some reason werent firing at 'em at all. They also identified Stinger teams (who had a <5% hit rate) and took them out with rockets a bit too easily.

I imagine Apaches would be the same, given they have similar FCS stats in the unit files. Lethality for alot of units just seemed alot less than what most other mediums have shown.

Awesome AAR though!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Please do!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

how is supreme ruler ultimate?

The worst. Not worth the time spent IMO.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats loving amazing :eyepop:

Cant wait for that to drop!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Question for all you C:MANO guys out there.

I'm doing the air operations training mission and I handle the air-to-air segment just fine, however when it comes to the SEAD aspect, I seem to be doing something wrong.

I have jammer aircraft jamming I think, and when I order my SEAD aircraft to attack they never fire their shrikes and they overfly the target and drop bombs, or at least try before they get shot down. How do I get my SEAD aircraft to like, actually SEAD.

With early SEAD missiles, the target needs to be emitting. Its risky no matter what, it seems. If the SAM chooses not to turn on and aim at sometime, it wont be a valid target for the Shrikes :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Reading their forums, apparently alot of the HARDCORE GROGS were turned off by the game? Because they are grogs I assume.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's not really a game so much as a flaming piece of garbage but I have good news for you about this!

Graviteam???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Hind oddly has the same fire control and targeting stats as the Apache does.