Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I like the song. But then again I like Pharrell. I do think it is very noticeably un-electronic sounding, consequently my favorite part is when the vocoder voice starts singing. I don't mind having an album full of disco-ey stuff but I hope there are some vocal-less or at least less prominent vocals for me to groove to throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
3 tracks in and I love it. So different, so cool, I could chill to this or dance to it, feels kind of Discovery 2-ish which is sweet.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I like the album. I like the album even MORE in the context of knowing what their earlier stuff sounds like-- it really sounds like the robots were stripped bare to nothing but their disco processors, and their 4-on-the-floor-motherboards were thrown into the trash. It's almost like they took Something About Us and made an entire album more in that vein. That being said, I am not in love with Contact and I do wish there were more "dance your rear end off" instead of "slow dance" songs. I think there is an interesting amount of actual emotion in these songs, Game Of Love in particular, I can see myself shedding some tears to that song. Giorgio is a banger, obviously. It definitely feels like an album that I will not be getting tired of very quickly, but that will be lost on those who wanted a more energetic house record. Very brave move on Daft Punk's part and I appreciate it thoroughly, but at the same time I hope they do not wait 6 years to release their next record.

Basically, instead of pulling you to the dance floor, a lot of this record is meant to haunt you and just sound beautiful.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 14, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Glad we waited all these years for Daft Punk to release a concept album based around Starbucks background music.

I spend a lot of time in Starbucks and this does not sound like that.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Cleretic posted:

Is there a way for me to hear this album without iTunes? Because I don't like iTunes.

After hearing all of what people here are saying, I'm looking forward to it even more because people are comparing it to my favorite parts of Discovery: The stuff like One More Time, Something About Us, and Face to Face. I kept saying to one of my friends that literally all I want out of a new Daft Punk album is music like that, and he kept saying that wasn't gonna happen, but it sounds like it did!

There is a lot more "Something About Us" on here than the other two, be forewarned.

I noticed I think I like just the robot vocalists better than the guest vocalists, except Panda Bear is pretty awesome (and I do not listen to Animal Collective) and Mr. Moroder :shrug:

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 14, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Listening to this in the Bahamas sounds absolutely wonderful. Does seem like an album that would benefit from the right setting like that.

Also, have come to the conclusion that I only really dislike/am indifferent to 2 songs on the album: Motherboard and Contact. If anyone has any good reasons to like those songs, other than listen on a good sound system (which I plan to do ASAP), please inform me.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I feel like out of the two, Motherboard will grow on me. Contact just seemed silly. I thought it was going to be the one House Banger of the album, but it was not that. Not saying the album necessarily needs one, but still.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I think if you know who Todd Edwards is outside of "Daft Punk collaborator" you're probably too clued in to like this album. I mean there is really no reason to get as hyped over this as some people in this thread are getting other than you don't listen to any other funk, disco or house and rely on Daft Punk records for your fix.

Name some good funk and disco

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

somnambulist posted:

There's people literally saying if you like this album you have bad taste in this thread. I think the point he's making in a roundabout way is that people are entitled to opinions, but it's their opinion, don't make it sound like someone can't have one different from theirs. It's not impossible to actually like this album.

I like the album quite a bit, it has already grown on me and seems like a pretty chill summer album to drink/get lucky to. The lack of banging House Tunes is somewhat of a disappointment, but that is what Alive 2014 is for, right? :)

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Lose yourself to dance isn't a lyric. It's a command.

I think this album is primarily about exploring mid and downtempo songs with more melancholy emotions.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 15, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Someone on Reddit said that Daft Punk said they are going to be heavily sampling this album. If that is the case then I am excited.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
after a couple of listens "Lose Yourself To Dance" is just phenomenal. I can't wait to dance to that song this Summer.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

WaffleStomp posted:

Is the One More Time Daft Punk tribute worth seeing for $16? They are playing near me in August, and I can't really tell from YouTube if they do their own remixes of DP material, or if they just press play on Alive 2007 and wear the costumes for 90 minutes.

Yes. Yes yes yes. They are awesome. I saw them last Saturday and I am still having glorious flashbacks of awesomeness. Please go see them

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Touch has grown on me, it took several listens. The whole album pretty much makes sense to me now, or at least is starting to. I would love for them to remix all of these songs, on some hopefully more housey stuff. Too much to hope for? Maybe. Nile Rodgers really killed it on guitar, btw.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Which songs, exactly, on this album, are the most blatantly disco influenced, funk influenced, or both? Coming from someone who has only a limited interaction (though not altogether absent) with those genres.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Philthy posted:

Pretty much all of it with the exception of one tune that somehow snuck its way out of the Tron soundtrack leftover bin. (Which was still good because that album is amazing on its own.)

Ive only thoroughly listened to Tron like once or something, is it really worth listening to? I feel like it would only be truly experienced on a big sound system or whatever. Is it ok just at the gym or chilling?

I'm really liking Instant Crush now, except Julian's voice seems to change from chorus to verse, sounds kind of weird to me. Anyone else notice that?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

sonicice posted:

Finally listened to this thing the whole way through, I don't see much of it setting any dance floors on fire but we'll see. Instant Crush, Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, and Contact were probably the standouts for me. I really like Give Life Back to Music as an opener as well. I don't get the hype surrounding Doin' It Right at all though.

I don't dislike the album, but I'm not instantly hooked on it either. We'll see if it grows on me over time, but I actually liked Human After All before Alive 2007 took it to the next level.

echo
echo
echo

Hah, I only semi-liked the album upon first listen and now I am really liking the entire package, finding both large and small things in songs that I didn't notice before. For instance, I loved Giorgio at first but I just noticed the extent of the crazy drumming going on towards the middle/end parts.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think Game of Love is pretty easily one of the best songs on the album. Can someone explain why I'm wrong? I think people don't like it because it's corny, but it invokes real emotion in me. Is it possible that I am a robot? I feel this robot's pain deep.

edit: It does kind of remind me of Phil Collins. Do you think Daft Punk listens to Phil Collins? Am I alone here?

SIDENOTE.... a lot of people are being critical of the lyrics on this album. But I will say, at least they stay on theme for the most part, there is a lot about memories on here.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 17, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Cameron posted:

Pretty disappointing, overall. Daft Punk forgot that they used to make house music.

I can feel this, because there is nothing like the house jams DP used to make. But I feel the sooner people stop expecting a House album and accept this album for what it is, the sooner they can actually enjoy this album for what it is; an experimental prog-disco-rock record by your favorite House artists, not a house record. Though if what people are saying is true, it will probably be made into a bunch of house songs.

Also interesting in the lyrics, it turns out Instant Crush is a direct response to Within.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm liking the album even more now, I listened to it today on my friend's real nice monitors with a beer and I could just hear every little thing and it was awesome.

edit: I havent finished watching this video yet but I think it might be awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNEKfq0cY0o

editedit: Yeah it was awesome. At first I didn't get "Contact" but it makes sense now and that video just cemented it for me.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 18, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

This thread is the best distillation of denial and strained rationalization ever. So much "well if you would just rearrange these tracks" and "if you ignore these ~5 songs" and "right but I think what they were going for was..." and "it will be great when the remixes come out I swear!" and "BUT THE CONCEPT!" and "the production is real smooth though" that it kinda warms my heart how far out of their way dedicated fans will go to enjoy something. In a way, it is actually kinda beautiful.

There are a LOT of albums that have skippable tracks within. Personally I think skipping "Game of Love" is heresy but people can listen to their albums how they want to.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Nail Rat posted:

Declaring that skipping a track nobody had ever heard less than a week ago "heresy" is emblematic of the undue devotion herein. I like all of their first three albums and like parts of this one but I get the feeling a lot of people love the idea of Daft Punk more than the thing itself.

thathonkey posted:

You are kinda contributing to my point...

Uh, that's just my favorite song on the album. I don't actually care if anyone skips it but I don't really get why they would either. It's jammin'

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Thats cool, you like what you like. Im more being critical of the people who cant just admit "yeah, the album is flawed or whatever you want to call it but i still like some of the songs" and instead insist on writing all these convoluted justifications for why it is "great" (which it clearly isnt) or how others are merely missing the point etc etc

I really don't think any album could've lived up to the massive hype which was focused upon this album. "Great" is pretty nebulous, anyway.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Datasmurf posted:

I take it they did. Mine was shipped from the record store where I preordered it the 16th and I had it in my hands the 18th. For the record, that's the fastest they've ever shipped something to me. Usually it takes a couple of weeks. The sound on the LP is much warmer and sounds better than the MP3s at least, but then again, they were just that. MP3s. 320 kbps, but still MP3s. I wish the digital download had been for FLAC or WAV. Guess I'll just have to rip the vinyl.

This is a question I should know the answer to, but is the CD going to be better than mp3 quality or is it mp3s? As a side note, this album is sounding better and better to me every day. I know its been like 5 days but still. I just listened to a couple of songs in the car this morning and it was awesome.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Sometimes artists will slap the CD mastering down on vinyl but not vice-versa. So for RAM there are probably at least two masterings: one for CD/digital, one for vinyl - which is good. But the MP3, even at high bitrate, will lose some quality compared to a CD or FLAC. Who knows what the iTunes stream is rated at.

Sidenote: holy crap they play Get Lucky on the radio a lot. Was riding in the car with somebody last night who was flipping through radio stations and inside of 20 minutes across 2-3 stations we heard the song 4 times.

I gotta say I am extremely jealous. I live in Houston, Texas and have Never heard it on the radio.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

illcendiary posted:

Really? It's on Top 40 a decent amount. I heard it in a "Banga Boys" (the terrible local DJs) 7:00 PM mix yesterday.

On 95.7? to be fair I dont listen enough, maybe. If it is getting play that makes me happy.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think the album sounds beautifully sterile, and that is appropriate for some funkbots. They reproduce everything almost too perfectly, they can't help it.

Black Skinhead is awesome and if DP helped produce it then this is a great year for music indeed.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Popcorn posted:

Why do I get the impression people wouldn't think this if Pitchfork (boo hiss!) hadn't liked the album?

Actually, some people would, the people who didn't like the album. But, since they gave it a positive review, the people who DID like the album tend to agree with it. Make sense?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Popcorn posted:

I'd like to think so too, but people tend to praise/bash reviews (Pitchfork especially) based on how much their score reflects the listener's own tastes, rather than the quality of the journalism. But arts criticism isn't the same thing as reviewing electrical appliances. (e: I should retract my previous own snottiness though, there was no reason to accuse Spring Types of doing this.)

It was a good review; the point about the potential elitism of Daft Punk's self-confessed philosophy is a very good one. I personally find their self-appointed mission to "bring life back to music" really weird and snotty. Thanks for saving music, Daft Punk (???).

I think people are misinterpreting their intentions as being more snotty than they actually are. they said in an interview that they aren't saying "laptop music" shouldn't be made or that it was a judgmental decision, but more that they wanted to explore and show that music maybe could still be made in other ways, and that people with means to experiment (money/connections) used to do that in music more, so they wanted to bring that idea back. I can see the misinterpretation, but I think DP sincerely just wanted to experiment and go to emotional corridors that might be harder to reach in some ways by their more traditional sounds/methods. Also I don't buy the idea that they would maintain any animosity or malice for the style of music that established them in the first place.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
In my opinion, a pretty spot-loving-on review from The Needle Drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTUBoFVi-HY

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
By the way guys, it's been confirmed the first remix out will be Get Lucky at the end of June.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Im actually baffled by the review scores this album is getting. I dont hate the album, but I also dont understand the almost universal critical praise.

Also Contact is super tedious, grating, and builds to... A fade out :|

I like Contact now, but I kind of agree. Especially at first when I was, from the early listening party descriptions, under the impression that they included a more traditional house-style banger at the end of the album. Turns out it's just this build up into... nothing.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Mutation posted:

I really like Human After All. :( It's pretty ugly sounding to the point of being repulsive, but there's nothing else that hits that certain spot in my diseased brain than those squelchy bass notes in Primetime or the humming in the title track. Or the singing in any track.

Yeah. Something about it is so crunchy and visceral. I'm not even sure if those are the right words but they feel right. It's like the robots on meth.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

stratdax posted:

I'm not a big Daft Punk fan, but Human After All is by far my favourite album by them. It just makes me want to, I dunno, get in a fight, drive down the autobahn at 300kph, start a riot, shotgun beer, and so on. Lots of energy that makes you want to go crazy and get nuts.

I can agree with the last sentence.

Also posting to confirm that this album is pretty sweet in the whip 8)

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I was going to post that this album largely wasn't what I was looking for in a Daft Punk album -- maybe I'd have accepted it easier if it were billed as a side project given how prominent the guest artists are? On first playthrough I liked the opening portion of "Give Life Back to Music," "Giorgio by Moroder" when the music really kicked in, "Instant Crush," "Get Lucky," and "Contact," and felt kind of flat about the rest.

... and while I had this window open and a few sentences down, I started the album back up, and for some reason the second playthrough is loads better. The songs I'd instantly liked are even better, and the other tracks are really appealing to me too. (I still really don't care as much Paul Williams' voice, and would like the track a hell of a lot more with a different vocalist.) I still can't get into "Fragments of Time." Some of my favorite tracks are on Human After All, though, so I think I might just like ugly Daft Punk best.

Fragments of time was one of the last songs to grow on me. The only song I don't like really is Touch, and that's because DP is just asking too much of me to invest, as a listener, in that song. I still like it but I dislike the fact that I cannot just throw it on and jam like the rest of the songs. I suggest you listen to Beyond and Game of Love again, though, because those songs are awesome.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Mike_V posted:

Actually gently caress you, Icona Pop's track (which also has Charli XCX) is a lot better than Get Lucky.

Anyone expecting Daft Punk's album to reach #1 on Billboard's chart is absolutely delusional and is representative of what many people in this thread have been making fun of Daft Punk superfans for.

which albums are going to keep it from #1?

hahaha owned.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm really impressed by this album's opener. It's such a banger (for a bangerless album), and it's nice having Nile's guitar away from Pharrell's vocals.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

You mean people who are really into Daft Punk have a shallow appreciation of the genres that influenced them? Well I never!

You woke up this early to be a hater drat

edit: In more hater news, Liam Gallagher could've written "Get Lucky" in an hour apparently.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So... apparently there is a listening party at a Top Golf in my city tonight at 7. Should I go? Apparently there will be Daft Punk swag given out. Any clue what is actually given out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Haifisch posted:

I'm late to the party, but I finally listened to this after avoiding any and all reviews of it. Color me unimpressed. I was prepared for a lot of retro disco sounds, but the entire album is just Something About Us(one of my least favorite tracks off Discovery) stretched out over an entire album. There's no life in most of it. If I can't dance to it, and I can't appreciate whatever they were trying to accomplish, what's the point? I don't care how much they experimented, how many genres they covered, how it fits in the Daft Punk "storyline", or how technically flawless the album is if it doesn't work.

Best tracks were both Pharrell tracks, Doin' It Right, Giordio(takes longer than it needs to become incredible, but it does get there), and Contact. Everything else wallowed too much in the Something About Us sound for me; I actually started skipping tracks because it was getting so boring and repetitive. I know I tend not to appreciate slow, non-energetic music unless it's done really well, and I'm too young(23) to appreciate the disco throwbacks beyond "that sure is some disco alright", but I was still astonished at how little RAM did for me. I kept trying to resist the urge to describe this as "Daft Punk masturbating about disco", because that's how most of this felt to me. I don't mind the cheese, but I was hoping for "One More Time"-style cheese, not "Something About Us" cheese. :(

Give it a couple days and a couple more listens and you may feel differently

• Locked thread