Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

who cares, it was a bog standard overpriced steakhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Atricks posted:

The fact all the SeaWorld parks (Incluidng really big ones like Iron Gwazi in Tampa and Pantheon in Williamsburg) have brand new coasters sitting idle right now is just weird.

The theory is that they haven't been paying their bills for the rides they ordered pre COVID due to cash flow problems, so the manufacturers have put liens on them to prevent their operation.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yup, it’s weird. Weekdays are busier than weekends now at Universal. Also this NEVER used to happen. For years I would park at the CityWalk parking for work and it never happened, not even on Christmas week. I believe this is possibly Universal’s busiest summer ever. I also think a few factors are at play:

- More people drove this summer to Orlando than ever have.
- People are arriving in Orlando with no plans and finding out Disney is booked.
- They fear Universal will reach capacity too so everyone shows up at the same time. Note: Universal is not enforcing any limited capacity.
- Rick DeSantis is lining some pocketbooks.

In general throughout Orlando, this summer is way busier than I’ve ever seen it. The parks are slammed, tourist traffic is insane, the grocery stores and restaurants around the parks are slammed. It’s nuts.

ftfy

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
DeSantis doesn't give a gently caress how many people die as long as those tourist dollars start rolling in again

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Gavok posted:

I'm writing a thing about the history of Marvel in theme parks. Has there been any instances of Marvel being used anywhere before Islands of Adventure? I don't even mean rides or anything, as it could be something with character meet and greets.

In an official, licensed capacity? Not that I can think of, at least in North America.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were knockoff stuffed prizes available at sketchy carnivals over the years, though.

fake edit: there was at least one Marvel pinball machine produced prior to 2000, and the Marvel vs Capcom arcade game franchise started selling cabinets in 1996, so there was probably a presence in amusement park arcades long before IOA was a thing.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Sea World Orlando was going to reveal the name of their 2023 coaster yesterday, but they chose to postpone the announcement.

Rumor has it the chosen name is High Surf.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

Some bold ride choices going on at universal.

B&M is really trying to make a splash in florida for 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The biggest change was replacing the entire control system with modern tech. Remember that it was designed and built in the early 2000s, so it was probably running on XP or something.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

This is honestly what has me skeptical about the Orlando Mario world area. The only way to make that area of the park worth a drat is to control how many people are in there which means this is gonna turn into a mad rush for that area in the morning or, potentially worse, the god awful virtual 7am virtual queue lottery of early days of RotR

From some of the rumors I’ve read about EU, one of the main reasons they went for a hub-and-spoke model for the park layout is so that they can close off individual lands for capacity management/private parties/etc. I’m pretty interested to see how it works out, and I’m guessing that the ticketing process for the Nintendo attractions in Japan and Hollywood is their beta test.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

couldcareless posted:

I think the only thing more annoying than having a park ticket for Disney but unable to enter due to reservation system would be getting let into a park but being told a whole section(s) of it are not available due to capacity.

Otoh, being completely unable to actually enjoy the immersive themeing because the park is nowhere near capacity but everyone is crowded into a single is Not Fun. See: the extended queue for Hagrid’s taking up half of Hogsmeade and a good chunk of Lost Continent back when it opened.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BlueBayou posted:

At least they made use of the abandoned Sinbad theater

It’s interesting to me that Uni is building a whole new park when they have so much unused space in their existing parks

Well. It makes sense cause extra park means people are more likely to spend a full extra day vs a few extra hours

But still.

Fourth gate = more guests as well, because adding individual attractions typically increases visit frequency but not overall daily attendance over the long term.

And yeah, it will make universal a 5-6 day ticket over the 3-4 it is currently.

I do agree that IOA in particular has some room for expansion/new attractions, but presumably those are in the pipeline for after EU opens with toontown high on the list for some love (and possibly a retheme since a lot of the characters are arguably pretty dated at this point)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cais posted:

I’m worried that Epic Universe will be like the wizarding world and end up stagnant and boring after a few trips. Hagrid’s is the one exception.

The thing to remember about EU is that compared to other Universal properties, it’s huge. The existing resort is ~550 acres (including the old Wet n Wild parcels iirc) and EU is ~750 acres. There’s two-three expansion pads in the current park design, with even more space available if (when) they build a parking deck or two.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

worms butthole guy posted:

I heard a rumor a week ago that there was legitimate discussions with Universal to acquire the Marvel rights back in return for park usage rights to the The Simpsons and something else but they fell apart. Apparently Universals plan is/was to do a massive rethene of IOA once EU opens. Wonder if this is related to it.

I have heard something similar but I doubt it's related (unless Chapek was about to sell the farm or something ridiculous)

Could be related to how much money D+ is burning

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a little more complicated than that. They need to have enough food places to match the attraction capacity, enough merch and food storage to keep the food places and gift shops stocked, enough bins to deal with the crap that those generate, and enough toilets to make sure the queues for those don't get out of hand. It's probably possible to put a couple more attractions into each park, but after a while you'll run up against something else starting to need more attention.

Even more importantly, security and the ability to evacuate the park if poo poo goes down.

Incidentally, the latter is what puts a soft cap on just how big you can build one theme park.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cais posted:

Yeah, I think Chatham was like $105/week or 15ish hours of your weekly paycheck then. Doesn’t look like that’s changed much.

Still half of what I paid for my last college apartment so cheap as hell.

So you’re saying the monthly rent was 420?

Checks out.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Don't forget there's also Legoland in the area, I think a lot of people overlook it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

remigious posted:

Hey friends, what is the weather in Orlando in early January typically like? Too cold to swim? One month out from my wdw trip :toot:

def make sure you have at least a light jacket and don't forget rain gear because being soggy when it's 55 out is distinctly not fun.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

BlueBayou posted:

Railblazer fuckin owns. RMC just doesn't miss
Top Gun is also an A tier coaster, if only for the finale over the lake
Grizzly is very boring but was my first roller coaster ever so....

I spent a lot of time at Great America as a kid/teen. I will be sad when I closes. I'm sure they will relocate Railblazer though.

nah, railblazer won't get relocated, the people that designed and built it have no idea how to take apart a roller coaster and put it back together again

what are we talking about here, legos?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

how the gently caress do you run out of fuel at a major international airport?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Could be they need it for HHN, can probably fit a couple mazes in there and iirc there’s production scheduled in at least one of the soundstages they typically use

E: the timing is right too, they finish design around Christmas and start building feb-mar so they probably only just figured out the logistics of making the space available

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 22, 2022

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
lol disney has become walmart

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ElwoodCuse posted:

wait until it becomes Waffle House

that would require them to install somewhere to sit

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

chitoryu12 posted:

I managed to get what's possibly hepatitis-a from just going to a hot pot place or eating a salad or something. I showed up to the doctor yesterday looking like a bottle of mustard.

Yes, it is a foodborne illness that comes from coming into contact with contaminated bodily effluent and is one of the Big Six in health code

Get better, Fluffy Bunnies, is your dog okay?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
A lot of Disney holiday stuff gets filmed in, like, October/November

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Trying to recall all of the incidents at Icon Park:

- the wheel lost power and stranded riders for a few hours on a hot summer day not long after opening, but no fire.
- a worker that fell from the StarFlyer
- the rider that fell from the FreeFall
- this

is there anything else?

they built the stupid thing in the first place

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

Also it seems like after almost three years of dodging the rona everyone I know is down with something sniffly right now. Wash your hands and wear your masks, park goons.

I'm down with the rona right now. The whole house is. We all have our shots, but stupid people keep coughing on poo poo in public.

It's gonna be a long winter.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Don't forget that he was friendly with Epstein!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Defunctland on YouTube has lots of good Disney history videos.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I prefer Universal simply because I grew up with those properties and they build fun rides. Sure, I watched Disney movies when I was a kid, but I never ever had that level of obsession with it. Certainly not enough to spend thousands of dollars on it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What’s it say?

that even non theme park nerds can be lovely trolls

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Universal has no interest in doing that and from people’s readings there’s no way out of the contract from Marvel’s end unless Universal closes or intentionally produces garbage not up to world-class theme park standards. The only renegotiation they’ve done is amending it after the buyout to protect Universal’s internal financials from Disney’s lawyers. Don’t forget it was signed in 1994.

Universal is waiting for Disney to give them enough money to revamp everything between Jurassic Park and Port of Entry. It really is that simple.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

There was apparently behind the scenes talk between the two where Universal would get to keep their comic book based rides as is, no revamp needed, and they'd get total theme park rights to The Simpsons since Disney doesn't really have use for then, but Disney would be allowed to do MCU Spider-Man and Avengers stuff at WDW.

It fell through because Universal isn't dumb and asked for more money.

Yup. Specifically, Universal knows they gotta at least redo Toon Lagoon at some point after EU opens. I've heard both Zelda and LotR.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It’s the toon lagoon amphitheater and it has stood vacant for more than half of its existence. They had a show with cartoon characters like Dudley Do-Right and whatever for the first year but that went away pretty quickly and it’s just had the occasional BNX stunt show during peak since then, and even the the last time that operated was like a decade ago.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Well, there’s also the part where we all walk around with fully functional computers in our pockets that never actually need to be plugged into anything.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Luigi Thirty posted:

There’s some rules about what is considered a character in use by Universal - according to A Lawyer On The Internet, Universal has exclusive rights to use characters considered part of the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man franchises in Orlando.

The contract states that characters used only as “incidental elements of an attraction” (examples given are if they’re just part of the theming of a restaurant or gift shop) don’t count as in use, so it’d be up to Disney and Universal’s lawyers as to whether or not a mural is an attraction. Presumably if Disney really wanted to use the Inhumans they’d fork over a pile of money or offer some other settlement to Universal, who would immediately tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Disney also can’t use the word “Marvel” period in the parks or their promotion which is why all the shows and meet and greets have stupid names.

This checks out with my knowledge.

Diabetic posted:

I'd be hard pressed to pick between the Zelda and LotR but having it be more connected to Epic Universe makes more sense, although Toon Lagoon is really weird seeing it there and no one even knows any of the properties. Popeye walks around telling you to watch him on YouTube, and that makes me really sad.

I was joking about LotR, JKR won't let Universal put that in a park with her boy wizard.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Disney nerds will buy anything.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Knotts is 100% worth the extra day.

You can skip SFMM.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I wish more parks did lockers like UO. I don’t want my drat phone and wallet falling out of my pocket and I don’t want to trek across the park for no reason so I can take some pictures and buy lunch.

An extreme example of why they are a good thing: years ago I was at Dollywood and had the misfortune to make the trip on a day when they had a bunch of school groups. They had to shut down Mystery Mine every twenty minutes because some idiot teenager lost their phone or whatever on the final drop and the ops had to stop the ride and turn the lights on to make sure there wasn’t crap on the track.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Zero One posted:

Regular amusement parks could do lockers better. But rides at Disney are rarely intense enough to worry about that.

It will be interesting to see how it works for them. Traditionally Disney hasn't cared about carry-ons. But now looking to enforce loose article policies is going to cause them some guest satisfaction and efficiency. (Ask me about working at a major American amusement park when they tried to go zero tolerance for loose articles... it was a nightmare)

Which one? Was it a CF park?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Yeah the only way you get across the pacific for under $500 per person is if you’re flying out of LA, San Francisco, or Vancouver. If you need a flight to get to one of those airports, it gets expensive really quick.