Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Empress Brosephine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSOqWtLix4

actual ride footage of avatar about 1 minute in!!!

maybe they will hit that open date afterall

That looked great. And then the animatronic cat lady showed up. :stare: Not so sure anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife just bought us annual passes for the first time. We had been going so often in the last few years, and we're both turning 30 this year, that it just seemed to make sense.

We plan to go for each of our respective birthdays and we want to take her parents for her dad's birthday as they haven't been to Disney in 20 years and never went to Epcot. It'll be F&W Festival, so it's even better.

In all the times we've gone, we've ridden pretty much every ride in all four theme parks, seen the fireworks in MK and Epcot, seen Fantasmic at HS, etc. While I obviously love all of that stuff, and even though this thread is called "for first-timers" I'm at a loss for what I could do to really make our next trips more special. For my trip, we'll also be going with a friend of mine who hasn't been in 20+ years, which I imagine will be a blast since it's always fun to see other people's first reactions. During my wife's birthday we plan to stay in one of the best Epcot resorts, which we've never done.

But apart from that, what do the veterans to the parks recommend that we check out? Something a little off the beaten path, or even something a bit on the pricy side that most people skip. We know we're going to have a blast regardless, but I'd like to really take full advantage of these annual passes/park hopper passes.

Speaking of, what's considered the best Epcot resort?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Unmature posted:

Being in Walt Disney World for NYE is one hell of an experience.

Good experience, or bad experience?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

couldcareless posted:

I just don't ride the rides at Epcot :shrug:

I've never done the Mars rover one, but Soarin' and Test Track are fun if you have a fast pass and Spaceship Earth is a classic.

But yeah, Epcot is all about the World Showcase. Never gets old.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We're planning to go to Disney Springs on Saturday, March 11th, do Magic Kingdom on the 12th, and then Hollywood Studios/Epcot on the 13th. We've gotten reservations for Skipper Canteen at 8 pm on the 12th, and for the Japanese Edo restaurant at 8:30 pm on the 13th. I know that Edo is where you can really see "Illuminations" well, and since the fireworks start at 9 pm, we should be good to see them, right? Do you get any choice in where you sit to eat? Obviously we'd like to sit outside to watch the fireworks while we eat.

Besides camping out in front of the castle, where is a good spot to watch the fireworks in Magic Kingdom? We've only ever camped out in front of the castle/on Main Street.

Last, do any of you have any recommendations for great restaurants in Disney Springs? We're leaning towards the Art Smith Homecoming restaurant since it seems tasty, low-key, and not stupidly expensive, but I'm open to suggestions!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

Morimotos Asia, Bongos Cuban, and Ragland Road are all awesome. For a quick cheap bite, you can't beat Earl of Sandwich. Heading there now for a sandwich and then seeing a movie (the Disney AMC is a fantastic theater as well).

Haha, she's Cuban, and I'm Cuban-American and we live in Miami, so we'll probably skip that one, but Morimoto's is definitely on the list of spots we will try, but probably not on this trip since I hear it's pretty pricy.

Blaze Pizza looks great, and since we're trying to not break the bank on this trip (we have 3 others planned for this year, at least) this is probably where we'll end up going.

After talking it over with the wife, we'll probably leave Skipper Canteen for another trip. So aside from Pecos Bills, are there any other highly recommended quick service restaurants in MK?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Grundulum posted:

You have annual passes, right? :stonklol:

Yup! Long story short, we don't spend our disposable income and we've got some big milestones coming this year (both turning 30, getting my Masters) so we decided to go a little Disney crazy. While Disney is by no means cheap, it's within our budget to go while still trying to buy our first home at the end of the year because we live only a 3-4 hour drive from Orlando. We already went twice last year without an annual pass, (Flower & Garden and Food & Wine) and realized it just makes more sense to have the annual pass.

2018 probably won't see us spending any disposable income (house updates/upgrades), and 2019 we'll probably do more long distance vacations like the Grand Canyon or NYC. Bucket List destinations, basically. 2017 will be the Year of Disney.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 16, 2017

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

demonR6 posted:

Coming from a Miami Cuban it's overpriced and disappointing when you grew up eating Cuban sandwiches and media noches from literally anywhere in town. We were there a few weeks ago and my wife wanted Cuban food so we stopped there. Her Cuban sandwich was on fake Cuban bread and looked almost identical to my media noche. Top that off the fried plantains she ordered were microwaved poo poo you buy in a box at the grocery store. She ended up sharing my tostones which we were nothing to write home about.

The only redeeming quality about the whole meal was I was able to have a Materva to drink and at least that was real...

Sorry, the bar is really really high if you are Cuban and if from South Florida then eating anywhere claiming to serve authentic is going to be the equivalent of going to McDonald's.

It's set even higher because both of our moms are great cooks, so we don't even need to pay for great Cuban food!

So when is Star Wars Land slated to be completed? 2019, 2020?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhohRXn_LY

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's the story with the...bibs? Why are the Dopey ones so sought after?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

TV Zombie posted:

Headed out to WDW next week and am pretty excited. The people I'm going with want to see Fireworks but as I look through the fastpass+ shows ...isn't there a fireworks show available to see? Any recommendations for what to see while there?

What the others said. Magic Kingdom always has Wishes, and Epcot always has Illuminations. Illuminations does have Fast Passes for a good viewing area, but there are plenty of other nice spots to watch. Just try to get there about an hour early.

You could also book a reservation to eat at the Japanese restaurant (I think it's Edo something) in Epcot around 8:30 pm to watch Illuminations. I'm doing that in March because I heard it's the best spot in the park to watch the show.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How much is it to get into DisneyQuest? Is it a deal where you pay and then all of the attractions are free? I'm going in March, so it should still be open, right? I think I saw people standing outside giving out entrance passes once.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
poo poo. My 30th birthday is the week before, so we were planning to go that exact weekend (to coincide with Megacon in Orlando.)

Now I'm worried that the parks will be irredeemably packed and I should just skip Disney. :(

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SteelMentor posted:

- Which of the Disney parks are absolutely worth it? Looking at the chatter and the attractions, we're considering dropping EPCOT and possibly one more.

You can't go to Disney and not do Magic Kingdom. That park alone requires AT LEAST a full day to really enjoy, doubly so if you're going in the summer. Which brings us to your next question.

-How are the crowds in early July? It's the only time we had available, but I've heard things get -packed- during the Summer months.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. But with the Fast Pass+, you will get to enjoy a fair amount of the park without waiting in lines all day. However, July in Florida is kind of miserable weather-wise. When it's not raining, it's hot, but worse, it's HUMID AS gently caress. Please do everything in your power to stay hydrated and protected from the elements.

-We've heard incredibly mixed things about the food at the parks, and coming from a family of picky eaters we're wary of dropping any cash on food once in. Is there any recommendations of places to eat/places to avoid? Ditto for Universal.

Eh. The food ranges from terrible to really great and the best food isn't necessarily the most expensive either. EPCOT is my favorite park (it is definitely a more adult friendly than child friendly park) and a big part of it is the food. The World Showcase in EPCOT has restaurants, sometimes several, for each of the main countries, and they're all mostly great. You won't go hungry or hate your dining experience there. As far as Magic Kingdom, you should look at some of the travel sites and Yelp to see what might interest you. I don't know anything about Universal restaurants except they mostly suck, but City Walk which is attached to both Universal parks has some really good restaurants.

-Speaking of Universal, we're likely only spending one day of the five there (depending on how many Disney parks we drop) and are debating getting tickets for both the main park and Islands of Adventure. Is it doable to get a fair bit of Universal done in a day?

You can absolutely do BOTH Universal parks in a day if you spend all day there, even in July. You may not get to ride absolutely everything you want, and you may (definitely) be stuck waiting in some long lines, but neither park is anywhere nearly as dense as something like Magic Kingdom or EPCOT. I like Islands of Adventure a lot, but a lot of that is nostalgia at this point. Those parks (apart from the brand new Harry Potter areas) are really starting to show their age.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone use the Best Friends animal kennel before?

We have a 3 year old havanese (think shih tzu, but cuter) who isn't super into other dogs, but is otherwise very sweet. We're staying at a non-pet friendly hotel, so we wouldn't be able to keep him with us at night, and my in-laws are the only ones who can watch him. They have zero experience with dogs, so I'm worried.

How are the rates to board your dog over night? Their website is very confusing. How was your experience?

Also, the next time we go, we'll try to find a pet-friendly hotel so he can stay with us at night, so we'd be able to use the daycare. Has anyone had any experience with that process? What are the prices?

We have an annual pass which I hear offers a small discount.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
When you say museum of The Tonight Show, did they decide to just say "gently caress you" to Conan here too?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We're doing Disney Springs on Saturday, Magic Kingdom all day on Sunday, and HS/Epcot on Monday, with dinner at Teppan Edo during Illuminations.

However, it's slated to rain most of the day Sunday/Monday. We've done Disney a ton, but thankfully never had to deal with rain. How do you guys deal with it? Should I be packing extra sneakers and socks? We're definitely buying some ponchos before we leave and taking some ziplock bags to keep the wet ponchos and our electronics. Aside from that, any other advice?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How much did that set you back?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Heading to MK today!

Anyone know of anything in particular I should look out for today?

We've got reservations for Skipper Canteen. Any recommendations?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 12, 2017

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yup. Got rain coats and was planning to stay for Wishes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Go to Disney springs!

Went last night. We were lucky enough to get a seat at the Mexican restaurant, which was spectacular. The wait times were insane!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
MK was great yesterday! No rain at all.

We really liked Pecos Bill's and Skipper Canteen. Park was empty too. Got to ride a ton. Never did Philharmagic, loved it!

We're doing HS and Epcot today. Don't think we're avoiding the rain today, though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kilometers Davis posted:

God daaamn Frontera Cocina is so good

It really, really is. We ate there completely by chance because every restaurant had a 2 hour wait and their bar had 2 open seats. Everything was delicious. The jalapeņo margarita I wife got was great too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We're planning to go for a day on April 22nd, a Saturday. Is Rivers of Light open? Planned to do maybe Epcot during the day, and AK at night.

Is there anything we should know about that weekend? Red flags? Any reason not to go?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Got our magic bands and car magnets yeeeeah

My wife wants to stay at a Disney resort for her 30th, but we'd only be staying one, maybe two nights and not spending a lot of time in the hotel. Is it worth it if we want to maximize our time inside the parks to stay on the property, or is staying at a nearby hotel, like one near Disney Springs a better idea? Those Disney resorts are pricy AF.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

nbakyfan posted:

I live in Celebration and love it. Streets can get crowded at time with tourists, but you learn to handle it. It's located just south of Disney property.

I'd love to hear more about living there. Care to expand?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Got my fast passes for next month, woo!

Is there really no reserved seating for the Star Wars fireworks at HS? I've never done it before because HS is honestly pretty dire. Any tips on what to do/how early to arrive? We'll be there on a Friday night.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Willy Wonka is my favorite movie ever, and I know they're not actually related, but, how's Toothsome's in City Walk? I heard there's usually a long wait to get in, and that it's expensive. Is it worth the trip to City Walk when our hotel is near Disney Springs and we're not going to Universal?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

nbakyfan posted:

I was able to ride flight of passage yesterday. This is easily the most impressive ride system in Orlando, and possibly my favorite ride at WDW. The Navi River Journey was neat, but if there is more than a 45 minute wait I would say it's not worth it. Be sure to try the quick service restaurant. I had the chicken bowl over rice with bean sauce and it was delicious. Fun Fact- Pandora is the only land at Disney where you won't find Mickey Mouse. Even the bags and cast member name tags do not say Disney on them.

My wife gets sick on the Harry Potter rides, but not on Transformers or Spider-Man. Would you say Flight of Passage is more like the former, or the latter?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Douchebag posted:

How was Banshee with regards to larger people? I'm going in August for a few days and some friends I'm going with are flipping out over some DIS bloggers write up that if you're large you won't be able to ride.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Flight of Passage has a very unique ride restraint. It is essentially a non-coaster version of the tron coaster at Shanghai. You straddle it like a bike and lean forward and restraints for the legs and back are put into place. This will be the first major ride in Disney history with a likely chance of certain body types not being able to ride. I am a big guy, and i was able to ride, but not without assistance. The biggest issue isn't so much girth (although it's tight, for sure) it is actually height. A friend of mine who is very tall was unable to ride, where I was, after the cast member pushed a bit. It's a stellar ride, but the restraint system may rule it out for some guests, which I am sure they are working on right now.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What do you guys think the crowds will be like in all the parks besides Animal Kingdom this weekend? We're doing HS on Friday night, Epcot on Saturday afternoon/evening, and all day at MK on Sunday.

I'm hoping dearly they're a little empty while everyone is at AK for Pandora.

Aside from shorts, short sleeve tops and hats, what else do you guys do to beat the heat? We bought this "Frogg Toggs" blanket thing that cools down super fast when wet. Anything else you suggest? Sunday is going to be brutal.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Would I feel any cooler wearing something like gym/basketball shorts and shirts over plain cotton/polyester stuff?

I've lived in South Florida my whole life, but I think this is my first theme park trip in the summer.

Will the counter service restaurants give you ice if you ask?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

skipdogg posted:

95 in Orlando today. AK must be miserable right now

Nah. It was hot but very tolerable. Low humidity.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

How was MK today?

Beautiful. Hot, but definitely bearable because the humidity was low, no clouds in sight. It was busy, but not terribly packed. We were able to ride everything we liked, have a sit down meal, and got a great spot for Happily Ever After. Wonderful day overall.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My wife and I want to stay at a Disney Resort (preferably walking distance to either Epcot or Animal Kingdom) on August 26th, her 30th birthday. I'm starting a new job in July, but I'd still like to make the stay special without breaking the bank. Can any of you folks help us out or point me in the right direction? We can basically only stay the one night because of my new job. If there's a really good deal, I'd be willing to also stay the Friday night before.

Looking through the million sites talking about discounts and whatnot is frustrating. We are current annual pass holders, if that makes any difference.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
drat thread, all the talk of Morimoto convinced me. I made a reservation for lunch for my trip in September.

Anyone have a recommendation for something to try?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

(and the rumor mill is saying Great Movie Ride is soon also )

Good, that ride is terrible. I rode it for the first time last month and have no nostalgic fondness for it. It's boring and has none of the charm of something like Jungle Cruise.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That was the only part of the ride I liked. I know you need to embrace cheesiness at Disney, and I usually do, but I can't find anything to like about that ride outside of the Alien sequence.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
They'll pry my blue milk out of my cold, dead hands.

I hope they sell death sticks in the cantina that are just those sugar cigarettes you used to be able to buy from the ice cream man.

Curious if they're going to offer "Bantha burgers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If anything, it feels like the parks are getting more and more interesting food options. Skipper Canteen has almost always been booked solid every time I go, for instance.

That reminds me, apparently the "secret" nacho challenge at Pecos Bills isn't really much of a secret because there were five groups ahead of mine when we went to try it. The wait was so long we just said screw it and ordered off the normal menu. It sucks because I won't be at MK with a party big enough to try the challenge maybe ever again.