Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

HPanda posted:

The Universal parks (Universal and Islands of Adventure) aren't too bad, especially IoA. I could be biased on that one, though, since I worked at Universal for a couple months during busy season. I was able to see the attention they put into everything there. It's not quite up to Disney, but definitely higher than parks like Six Flags.

Agreed with this. The Harry Potter section at IoA puts a couple of areas at Disney World to shame, honestly.

For a fun time, go to any of the Disney parks and then a Six Flags. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Paul Allen posted:

Trust me, we've basically got our finger on the button when it comes to restaurant reservations, especially when it comes to our "one BIG dinner" and Be Our Guest. This won't be until late March/early April, so it will be awhile longer until we can reserve spots.

I've actually heard Be Our Guest is overhyped right now for what it actually is. Anyone heard anything similar?

Le Cellier is actually my Victoria and Albert's at the moment. :shobon: We rarely do table service whenever we go to the parks. The most we've done is one of the buffets, either the Crystal Palace at MK or Hollywood and Vine at DHS, and both during New Years Eve. They're good, but very crowded.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I've been browsing wdwmagic to sort of pass some of the time before my next trip, and their reactions to MyMagic+ is hilariously overblown. I know I've mentioned how funny I find their freakouts before, but this one is just something else.

One guy keeps changing the name of MyMagic+ and FastPass+ to various negative things (I've seen My(Bad)DisneyExperience, MyMagicNegative) Its like a Rebuplican who might call Obama something like Obummer or Obungle. It borders on insane.

Go into WDW1974's thread if you want some prime insanity. I mean, I'm not that happy about MyMagic+ myself, but Jesus... That place is like concentrated awful at times.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

demonR6 posted:

I say gently caress it, what are the odds you will run into someone you know.. just don't give a poo poo, it is all tourists anyways.

Many that are from other countries and are probably just focused on their own days. Seriously, don't worry about it. No one cares about it, and there are people that are going to look more ridiculous than you.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

DNova posted:

I really don't understand Test Track.

It's a car simulator. And it goes 45 miles per hour.

How is that a ride?

edit: Sorry, it simulates a sedan going a maximum of sixty-five miles per hour!!! Where else could you find such a thrill?

Goes mildly fast = thrill ride = "There's no thrill rides in Epcot, let's ride Test Track, that's a thrill ride!"

I like it, but I can see how people could be bored by it. :shobon:

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

HPanda posted:

As for the nostalgia stuff, I would absolutely love it if they brought back the original Dreamfinder version of Journey Into Imagination. I can see why they sell the merchandise, though. People buy that stuff for the same reason they buy nostalgia versions of sports shirts.

This is... sadly pretty unlikely. The opening setpiece was something they always had problems with, and it's unlikely they're going to try and tackle it again. The most you (and I!) could hope for is a new version with the same characters, which I'd be totally down for. Better than what they have there now.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Well, snagging a reservation for Le Cellier has pretty much made it set in stone. I'm going to Orlando in May and hitting up the Magic Kingdom and Epcot before transferring over to Universal for two days.

How long does it take to get Magic Bands, typically? The two guys I'm going with haven't ordered their tickets yet, and I don't want this to be a last minute occasion. Also, are there any good Peruvian places in the area near Universal property? A friend wants us to try some the day of the switchover.

Paul Allen posted:

I'm staying with my lady at WDW in late April/early May and I happen to be planning to go to Disney Hollywood Studios on its 25th Anniversary (May 1st).

I know it may be an exception to many rules, but do any of you think we should shift DHW day to somewhere else in the week? Originally I was going to take my chances, but now I'm getting worried...

As a rule, arrive early and get things done fast at DHS, and you'll be fine. It's got a lot of high-capacity things, so you won't be stuck in too many lines as long as you play it safe and get the marquee attractions out of the way.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Big Thunder Mountain is definitely a good choice. If the Seven Dwarves Mine Cart is open when you visit, it'll probably be a good choice as well.

The thing about the coasters at WDW is that most of them are going to avoid a straight drop and instead will take you down in a spiral and then just sort of focus on traversing hills. Hell, Revenge of the Mummy over at Universal does something close to this as well, if you ever hit up that section of Orlando. There's a launch in it, but it's not too bad. Disney's coasters in general are pretty mild and focus on theming more than anything. You'll be fine! Rock'n'Rollercoaster and Everest are really the only things you may have to worry about.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
So... I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake booking for Le Cellier for my trip in about a month. I have a reservation at 8:25, but Epcot closes about forty-five minutes later.

I don't exactly want to rush through my meal, so I'd like to know in advance if my reservation will allow me to stay in the park for longer. If not, I think I'm going to cancel and save this for another trip. Maybe rebook somewhere else in Epcot.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Noted. Thanks, guys! I'm actually sharing this trip with one person who hasn't ever been on property and another who hasn't been back in about a decade, so I don't want to hurry them though anything, if I'm able to. I'm glad to hear that we'll have plenty of time.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
So thanks to everyone who said I should hold onto my Le Cellier reservation. My friends and I had an amazing time there, capping off what was a pretty wonderful day. The filet mignon with English pea risotto and confit mushrooms is probably the best thing I've ever eaten, and the maple creme brulee was an excellent dessert to finish everything with. Would definitely try and snag that place again! :)

Circutron fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 3, 2014

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Brief Universal Chat: Holy poo poo, is Escape from Gringotts an awesome ride. I actually found it to be worth the wait, which was nuts. The extended queue was so big they had people selling bottles of juice and water and even sandwiches like it was a baseball game.

What's the queue like? Does it have an outdoor section like the greenhouse over at Forbidden Journey that sucks to go through?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Dreams do come true! Been wanting to see the hat go for years. Really messes up that beautiful view you used to get of the Chinese Theater from the entrance of the park.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
That's incredibly lame. I was actually a little eager to grab it after seeing a picture of it, it looks nice.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Hat's down.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I know this is the Disney thread but I can't find a Universal thread and I'm curious, is anyone going to Horror Nights this year? I just bought my tickets. I'm so stoked.

I am. The anniversary house this year sounds like it's going to be fantastic, and I'm really interested in looking at that HHN-dedicated gift shop I've heard they've opened.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

The restrictions also depend on the individual directors and coordinators monitoring behavior, as well as any requests from whoever owns the rights to an IP that the house of scarezone is depicting. In 2012 our cast (the Beasts) got away with a lot of poo poo that wouldn't ordinarily fly, like hiding inside set dressing, because of how good we all did. However, the Walking Dead walkers outside Disaster were constantly being harassed by AMC's representatives to try and avoid their property accidentally offending anyone. They began getting more and more restrictions until by the end of the event they weren't allowed to have more than one walker scare the same individual simultaneously, only scare an individual once, and made to totally ignore anyone in wheelchairs. They subsequently ended up poorly received by guests.

I've heard that 2012 was a pretty wild year for interactions between scareactors on the streets and guests. Did anyone in your crew ever end up following people into stores? I do remember that it was hyped up that year that the only "safe" places were the restrooms and the dining areas of the restaurants.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

demonR6 posted:

What I have understood from my internal sources that SWW is done forever. The addition of the new area they have no interest to continue with SWW because they have this dedicated area. Sure they can change their mind again if they feel like they can profit from it, but otherwise stick a fork in it. I have a really good source.

That's really disappointing. I've never been to the event myself, but it seems like Disney had a good thing going with it. I don't understand, are they trying to consolidate everything within the brand into that area? They've never done that before, Star Wars merch is anywhere in the parks that are even remotely space-themed, and like someone said before, Universal allows Harry Potter stuff outside of Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley during their Celebrations.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Also, no more costumes for adults during MNSSHP.

What the hell? There goes my interest in going next October. Source on this?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
^^^ :haw:

Just in general, people need to remember that Disney property is adjacent to a thick patch of wetland. Animals don't stop being animals, no matter where they are.

This wasn't Disney's fault. This wasn't the family's fault, though a little more education from either personal research or the resort could have possibly prevented this. This is the fault of people who fail to realize that when you normalize interactions with predator species and people, people stop being weird invasive things to run away from and start becoming a food source. gently caress the people who were feeding the gators on property, the blood's on their hands.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Fejsze posted:

If you get to go into the park @ opening, first thing, hop on the train, ride around to New Orleans Square. Go to Cafe New Orleans and get some Mickey Beignets. The best way to start a day there.

Any clue on if they have something like these anywhere on WDW property? They look really good, what's that sauce?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Any idea when the spring hotel rate deals for Florida Residents get posted? Aiming for a March visit at a value resort.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Would it be a faux pas to destroy the Hall of Presidents before they install Donald Trump?

Disney removed most crocodile references in the parks after that kid died. Now they're placing another threat to children in MK.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Omne posted:

Does anyone happen to remember what the New Years Eve events were at different restaurants at Disney Springs? We're heading back in January 2018 for the Dopey Challenge, and looking at the calendar....we need to arrive by the 2nd, but the 1st is a holiday and the two days before that are weekends, so it's not extra time off work to spend three more days there. I know California Grill (holy poo poo, $650/person!) and a few other places have events, but wondering about restaurants at DS instead.

Also....are the crowds as bad as the internet says?

I can vouch for New Years Eve being super bad. Was at Epcot this year, Frozen got to around a five hour-long wait.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Countdown to people staying on property being able to get a boarding group up to a week before.

Bleh, wouldn't that just shut Rise out for anyone not staying on property? I mean I know they want people in their hotels, but that seems really dumb...

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
The Star Tours vehicles are being allowed to roam free in Animal Kingdom to get some exercise.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Haha Carousal of Progress. I kind of enjoy that the future segment has so many things that actually exist now.

I desperately want the "should it be changed to Disney IP World?" person to elaborate because... everything in Disney World is Disney's IP. It's Disney IP World by design

We're also desperately pretending here that Song of the South wasn't an IP... :v:

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I ordered a HHN fog candle. If it jsur gets me halfway close to the smell that’s enough. I want my nose to smell like that for the whole year.

Magic Candle Company, I'm guessing? I just ordered some wax melts of the same scent a couple days ago. They managed to do a strikingly good job capturing that kinda earthy smell that fog machines put out!

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Friendship ended with Disney hotels, now Cabana Bay is my best friend.

I'm confused why this is a "we're discontinuing EMH" situation and not a "we're suspending EMH until the pandemic is over" situation. It's a hell of a perk, considering what you get...

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

I think the problem is that any speculative sci fi future is going to look like something out of a William Gibson novel.

I mean, doesn't that make someone coming up with something a bit more positive that much more thrilling?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can still use the standby lines, which may actually be more tolerable under this new system than under Fastpass.

I think they might be talking about Rise.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
Yeah, I get wanting to divest really hard from the legacy of the previous ride but that name's not the best. Bayou Mountain or something might have been better. Update's gonna be great though!

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah because bayous are real known for mountains

Listen, I'm not good at titles, that's why they pay people to do this instead. :shobon:

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Anti-Bunny posted:

Just bring a reusable water bottle

You can also just go up to any place with a soda fountain and ask for a cup of ice water and boom, free ice water.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
The transition from reality to toon stuff preshow hits harder in DHS than the style switch of DLR, Grauman's queue is hella good and should stay. Besides, differences between coasts are good for keeping everything from feeling samey.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 29, 2023

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I had them put rum in my blue milk. It was fine. But it looked like jizz

Well, it IS canon in Galaxy's Edge, to be fair.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

stabbity posted:

I've been twice, once opening night and then last night. So far I'm really enjoying this year's HHN, but it feels WAY busier than last year.

I'm wondering if that's because of Stranger Things, I know the last time that they had it the event was packed.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Here's a neat relevant story.

A car wash near my house had a '59 Cadillac as part of the theming.

The owner sold the car wash and someone bought the Cadillac. That person decided to try his luck and sell it online. Universal Studios Orlando purchased it. They're going to turn it into an Ecto-1 replica.

That got me thinking what they'll use it for. Universal doesn't have any Ghostbusters rides or anything planned that I know of. It would be weird to just stick it somewhere in one of the parks. Have they hinted at a Ghostbusters haunt for HHN?

40th Anniversary is coming. We're getting a Tribute Store on the level of the Jurassic Park one last year.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I've said exactly this before but I'm of such two minds about it. On the one hand I think it gets a lot of power from its specificity, being so specifically of a single point in time rather than Vague Star Wars helps with the buy-in that they want you to do to LARP with all the cast members about how this is a real alien planet that you're really visiting, and I love that if you've ever ridden Rise of the Resistance, then canonically you are why Hux is in such disfavor when Rise of Skywalker opens.

This. If you want to go see Vader there's Star Tours and the buildings around it. We don't need to water down a place that has its own unique vibe (and this is me saying this as someone that's checked out of the franchise and thinks the Sequel Trilogy blows) by cramming Every New Guy That You Know And Love into the area.

Repurpose the Galactic Starcruiser people and costumes so that they're hanging out on Batuu. Maybe it blew up or something. Galaxy's Edge can be its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
EDIT: I think I was wrong here, nevermind!