Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diabetic posted:

I'm a big food guy (Being diabetic makes you both love and hate food a lot) and I love stuff that is food referenced in different movies/shows. Is there some amazing food at WDW any of the resorts that has a movie connection? I heard about the "Grey Stuff" at the Beauty and the Beast restaurant but I had heard it's not that great. Post your favorite dishes and their connections!

Please.

The Grey Stuff is a panna cotta. It's not bad but not worth seeking out or anything.

Plus you'd have to reserve the fixed price $70 restaurant to get it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Sweet. The wife and I got our passholder previews for Tron.

I'm a little concerned since there aren't any park reservations for MK that day, but the Tron email with the link explicitly says we don't need an additional park reservation that day, soooo-

You 100% don't need a reservation, it comes with the booking. That's why you have to follow your blockout calendar for your pass type. It's a totally normal reservation too, so you can go to the park for opening on it if you want and hop after 2 regardless of your Tron time.

It's believed Disney reduces the number of available passes in the AP pool for the preview days so that they can keep their numbers where they want them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Did they change it? Last time I had it it was mousse. I’ve only ever eaten breakfast and lunch there so maybe it’s different at dinner.

Oh yeah oops, I forgot the word mousse there.

It's a cookies and cream (Specifically Oreos, supposedly) panna cotta whipped into a mousse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To (not) answer the original question though, outside of the Grey Stuff and the milks I can't think of any other in universe re-creation food at Disney.

You have Butterbeer over at Universal, and the Simpsons food court has a bunch of them. That place is hell on earth though, I'd never go in there again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Restaurant and food quality is one area where Universal is desperately behind Disney in offerings and quality. Beyond that, the quick service locations are typically slow and frustrating.

Mythos is good but like, they banked on that “best theme park restaurant” award from the early 00’s for so long that it’s regarded as better than it actually is.

The HHN food is so much better than the regular year-round stuff.

It's still garbage, but it's different fun garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if we have to defend the billion dollar company that is currently actively loving over their staff in negotiations?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The CM previews also allow 3 guests each. So this isn't just the employees being treated that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They hold specifically MK cast previews before the general ones too, I assume for that reason. The familiarity part, not the testing for head trauma part.

I have a friend who works for Disney and she said when she went to sign-up she was just assigned a slot with seemingly no way to change it. It ended up being a day she's not even home. She does work for Disney corporate (software development stuff) and not in the parks but I don't imagine that makes a difference. They have all the same park perks, except for the fancier unlimited use guest entry.

I'm in town the last 2 days of CM previews so we were trying to get a day then, but then the announced AP days are all during my trip so I got one of those.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good-Natured Filth posted:

When I was a kid, I was very short for my age, so one year my mom had me put rolled up washcloths in the heels of my shoes, so I could "gain" a few inches to ride Cedar Downs on our annual family trip to Cedar Point. It was the coolest thing as a kid, but probably not the smartest thing for us to do.

Though, I'm not sure Cedar Downs really needs a 48" height restriction. I think that and some other rides use height to restrict for "maturity" level, so some kid that is too young doesn't ride alone and do something stupid.

Height requirements always have a solid buffer over the actual minimum safe height because you don't want a situation where someone is just barely safe because they just barely meet the requirement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Only a small part of it's outdoors, but yes anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Both.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Midnight to buy Genie+ for the day.

7am for everything else, including your first actual Genie+ booking. That gives you ILL access before non-resort/day guests, but Genie+ and VQ are a free-for-all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nanigans posted:

You have to be inside the park of choice for Boarding Groups which go up at 9 am.

Not anymore thanks to park reservations.

Now you can do it at 7am if you have one for the correct park that day.

With the 1pm selection if there are still slots open after 2 and you've hopped you can get in those, and the 6pm one is also hopper friendly but only works for extended hours resort guests. Obviously if you were already in the park the whole time those are still available to you too, but you can only get one a day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hotels on the Skyliner have no busses to Epcot and DHS, except when it’s down.

So you’d have to take the Skyliner from the international gateway entrance to Pop Century. Or bus to AK (closer than MK) then to Pop Century.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 26, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It runs for 60-90 minutes after park closing. The exact time depends on time of year, crowds, after hours events etc. so there's no hard published time.

The Disney Springs busses run until 2am though so if the Skyliner is closed I guess they're an option.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the last time you went was 4 years ago, Space 220 is new.

15 may be too old to really care about the gimmick though. A lot of people think it's overpriced, and objectively yeah you can get the same meal for a lot less outside of Disney... but that's true for every meal at Disney. I got the upgrade lobster and it was still very good.

That said, if the eating in space gimmick doesn't appeal to him I'd skip it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He’s just outright saying it’s retaliation and everyone is fine with it lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m in town to see friends but I have a pass, and we have no plans until 5:30 so…

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

couldcareless posted:

"Hey Mando, do you know where the bathroom is?"
"This is the way..." *gestures*

If he used “this is the way” to ask people to move out of his path it would be perfect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I imagine that’s why the marketplace is his territory at the moment. Nobody gets a photo with Mando in front of the Falcon.

But really it’s probably for crowding mainly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re allowing it to get this far because it will be a lot easier for them to fight it when it’s shown to directly damage them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s also taking significant advantage of existing infrastructure too.

Not that they can’t afford it, but the cost for building in a brand new area would be much higher.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did exactly that to Universal with MGM Studios themselves.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’ve heard the 50% and +/- one person as the “rule” from different people so it may depend on location, but you’re good for either anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Never, ever support actual taxi services. gently caress 'em.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tusker House or Yak and Yeti are the other 2 restaurants at AK that take reservations.

The new fast pass system is called Genie+. The base price is technically $15/person/day but it's never that low anymore and can get to about $25 on busy days. It's of limited use at DHS and AK. It can be pretty solid at MK though. But you can't use it for Rise of the Resistance.

Rise has Individual Lightning Lane access, which means you pay $15 (each) to get a return time for it. However, ILL availability opens to Disney hotel guests at 7am while regular visitors have to wait for park opening, and next week is some prime spring break time so if you're not at a Disney hotel I wouldn't count on getting one. Silver lining, it's a pretty cool queue.

Smugglers Run (the Falcon) has a single rider line that goes very fast, you're just going to get the Engineer chair 9 times out of 10 that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You may as well take a shot at the Rise ILL anyway. You can try once the park opens for the day (8:30 next week) and don’t have to actually be in yet, just have a park pass for the day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh it’s not Florida spring break that does it. Most of Florida actually has theirs this upcoming week, and Orange/Osceola where Disney is just ended.

It’s because from about week 2 of March through April somewhere in the world has spring break, and thousands of people decide to go to Disney during it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the expensive ones use LEDs inside the blade too, so they're not just cheap plastic tubes. If you break one that's $50-60.

The Tron ride will be available next week (starts today as a soft opening), so you may want to look into the virtual queue for that on your MK day. There's a VQ button right on the frontpage of the MDE app. What you do is wake up a few minutes before 7am, press that VQ button and refresh the poo poo out of the page until you hopefully get one. If the rest of your party for the day are your friends on the app you can queue all of them with you. The party creation opens a little before 7 so that it doesn't slow you down from trying to get a spot.

Guardians has always been pretty easy but that's because it's in Epcot, not Magic Kingdom. There's a second try at 1pm too, but if you got a slot at 7 you can't get a second.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 20, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just make sure you're on that app. VQ rides don't accept standby at all, though they do sell ILL for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those don't come with a blade (except in the boxed bundles) so the price actually ends up being comparable.

Unless you're buying one of the ~4 that are on sale currently.

That said, getting a Savi's spot during spring break a week before may actually be impossible anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The whole FX Elite line has better electronics with more effects. The original Force FX are comparable to Disney feature wise.

The MSRP of FX Elite is actually like $275 though because of that, so Disney is significantly cheaper if you don't get a sale price. Even more so once you have a universal blade for the hilts.

The Legacy Leia really sucks though, what makes the FX Elite worse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The inlay on the Disney is known for peeling and curling.

If you catch it early you can glue it back down so it won’t develop though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You actually can change now. They added that recently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iger has said he thinks prices spiked too much but whether that’s just words remains to be seen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seeing one of those "untouchable for the next X years" clauses used against them finally is hilarious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if it was speculation or the actual law, but I had seen talk that actually removing the district would require a vote from the landowners (who are exclusively Disney I think?) and that's one of the other reasons DeSantis changed it instead of blowing it up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said it cost him $12k. That's like a week and tickets at the Grand Floridian.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s surprisingly low assuming that’s all in for food and everything.

https://twitter.com/A_Coaster_Story/status/1639292195982155780

He says the only things he excluded were extra vacation costs bookending it that weren't part of the marathon, souvenirs, and line skips he paid for that weren't the first.

https://twitter.com/A_Coaster_Story/status/1639293362409799680

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

he must’ve had some fairly fuckijg fire Excel sheets to have worked all that out.

Just planning the flights would be very difficult, because many long international direct flights are not every day. HK Disney is also not open every day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This guy's page sounds like he goes constantly anyway, and has done similar smaller scale challenges (like Parkeology) already.