Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath this Misaki model from Wyrd Miniatures for the month of May!

The model is bare plastic and liquid greenstuff in this photo, and the sand on the base is orange because that's the colour my little brother bought at the craft store. He bought an entire Ten Thunders crew during Gencon last year, but he has so far refused to touch them for fear of 'doing it wrong'. So, I've been taking some photos throughout my assembly process, and will continue to do so whilst painting (conveniently matching the monthly theme!). I'll do the parts list too, as I am going to try to make some simple instructions he can try to follow.

And I have some exciting news! I backed the Games and Gears kickstarter back in February, and have now received a multitude of fancy sable double-ended brushes, just in time for the new thread!

They look really nice, and feel nice and soft. I'm looking forward to trying them out on some new techniques, like wet blending.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

ineptmule posted:

Hrrm. I am conflicted on this:

You all have valid points. In fact, I agree with the poster above who said that really it's the size of the model and not, strictly speaking, the scale that matters.

How big are those DzC tanks?

Edit: sorry for the confusion. Standardising across scales is hard. Once we have worked this out I'll find a way to compensate anyone whose oathing has been affected.

What about the method for judging the size of terrain? A photo with a ruler in the shot would give a rough size estimate, and you could say that anything over a certain threshold counts as a larger scaled model.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

It was a cold, wet day, and I did not want to answer the door. My boyfriend was more polite however, and greeted the damp fedex man on our verandah.

"Is there a Simon Filley here?" asked the fedex man.

"No," replied my boyfriend.

And the fedex man left.

Soon after, the fedex man returned and asked, "Is there a Schmetterling here?"

"Yes," replied my boyfriend.

And the fedex man went and got a very large box from his truck.

I told my boyfriend and housemate that I thought it was probably going to be full of all the warhams. And it was.

Inside the very large box was a smiling tiger, who warned me that 'Green is great".

The tiger gave way to reveal ALL OF THE WARHAMS (and other cool miniatures too!)

SO MANY

My housemate's cat helped me organise the loot into a more presentable pile.

And now for a breakdown of what exactly was in this bag of treasures, sent to me by the wonderful Backno!

A box of goblin spider riders
Ragnarok Etat-major Selstm (It's in Spanish, but it looks like an Elvish command group with banner and flautist)
Les Fusiliers du Griffon (christian snipers)
Les Chevaliers Khor d'Uren (steam pigs! :3:)
Worg Lune Croissante (Wolf of the Crescent Moon! Or, Croissant Wolf)
S'Ygma Adepte Ophidien (A snake man with a little parasol! :3:)
Ragnarok Balistes du Lion (Siege weapons :black101:)

Alkemy Kingdom of Avalon Starter
Micro Art Studio Old Factory Base 50mm x2
Micro Art Studio Infested Bases 40mm

Skaven Warlord
Skaven Gutter Runners x2
High Elf Silver Helms Standard (from 1997!)
Necrarch Vampires
Bloodletter Musician and Standard
Skaven Grey Seer x2
Glade Rider Command (also from 1997!)
Bloodletter Champion
Chaos Marauder Horsemen
Chaos Centigor

Bombadier Nain/Dwarven Bombadier (two different sculpts, with two copies of each)
Biopsiste de Dirz x2
Dame Claudia Nessalith
Bhor-hok the Leader
Misan the Clairvoyant
Thermo-pretre sur Razorback (Steam pig! :3:)
Goblin Mutant
Gargoyle of Acheron (This guy will make a very pretty display)
Pillgrim the One-Eyed
Kael the Irascible x2 (The best name)
Vladar the Arrogant

Thank you very much Backno! I will have a lot of fun working my way through these.

Edit: And thank you to Bachtere who donated this awesome prize! Cool dudes working together to send me cool stuff. Here's hoping I win some more goodies this year!

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 26, 2013

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby declare OATH COMPLETE!

I painted this model as the first part of figuring out how to teach my little brother how to paint. Officially, it's not very pretty so he can probably emulate it on his first try. Unofficially, life stuff + too much dust in my painting area meant that lots of little things got rushed. Oh and I promise that in real life her shoes, gloves, and sash are all turquoise, not blue.

I really like the new Wyrd plastics! Misaki is such a dynamic model.

so dynamic

Ninjas can be bright blue, right?

DETEKTUV'S JURNAL

First, skin!

Then, blue! (And black)

Then paint some turquoise bits, and splash blue ink EVERYWHERE!

Then paint the metal, and colour in the magic yellow! (There is actually a reason for this! Yellow is the faction colour for Ten Thunders, and is also the only colour my brother hasn't yet allocated in his colour scheme ideas. He likes lots of colours. :yayclod:)

Paint the base brown, and fill in all the red detail bits! (This picture shows the turquoise bits better than the main oath pics, and also shows the mysteriously blank knee-guard thing on her right leg. The other one has a dragon on it, so I don't know why this one was blank.)

Highlights! Highlight everything! And change your mind about the base colour, and paint it white again.

Finally remember to paint the handle of the bisento, and paint the base rim black!

And remember, a good painter constantly repaints the details until they are unrecognisable, due to the tiny specks of dust that love to land on your model just as you finish a new coat of wet paint! :downs:

Parts List:

White Knight Quick Dry Flat Enamel (I don't know where to buy good primer in Australia)
Coloured craft sand from Spotlight
Cheap PVA Glue
Cheap Super Glue
Contacta Professional Plastic Glue
Vallejo Game Color Pale Flesh
Vallejo Game Color Elf Skintone
Vallejo Game Color Cold Grey
Vallejo Game Ink Blue
Mantic Warpaints Red
Mantic Warpaints Brown
Secret Weapon Washes Heavy Body Black (I love this wash!)
GW Boltgun Metal
GW Gryphonne Sepia
GW Baal Red
GW Ceramite White
GW Mechrite Red
GW Calthan Brown
GW Golden Yellow
GW Sunburst Yellow
GW Hawk Turqoise
GW Enchanted Blue

And Detektuv's Jurnal + Parts List = Double the Fun!, right?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

krushgroove posted:

I would say in this case the build pics count towards the WIP pictures from May's Jurnal so you get the point for doing a prevous Jurnal, but not the extra point for doing battle damage for this month's Jurnal.

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, as of now I've credited you for: A complete oath, with basing, the 2-point June Detektuv's Jurnal, Speed Paint, and a Themed Group.

Which of you is correct? A single point for the May Jurnal, or two points for the June Jurnal? Not trying to nitpick, but like you just said, a single point can make a big difference. :)

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Ah, didn't see that. I was just confused by the contradictory statements in quick succession.

Also, those wreck markers are really cool.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath this Taelor from Wyrd Miniatures for the month of June!

She's one of the first models I ever assembled, and accordingly she was covered in mold lines. She's a bit tidier now though.

The greenstuffed bandages are my attempt to fulfil the Detektuv's Jurnal - Taelor's a close melee fighter, and in her usual get-up it's no wonder she got a bit of battle damage!

Also, I was wondering whether the bandages would count at all as a conversion? Her usual gear is not really appropriate for fighting, especially in melee, and so giving her a bit more of a shirt is an upgrade (even if the shirt is just bandages).

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

:3: I, Schmetterling, hereby declare OATH COMPLETE! :3:

Taelor frowned at the feeling of tightness across her chest. The rather unpleasant Guild physician had bandaged her entire torso after he finished his stitch-work, and she wasn't used to being so constricted. One would think she'd suffered some grievous wound to be so mummified, but Taelor maintained that the few gashes and broken ribs would have healed up just fine without any of this meddling. She'd had far worse, after all. The bounty she came into the city to hunt had been easy compared to what she faced every day in the Slums. It was merely a minor phantasm that had begun haunting a well-to-do lady, and Taelor's magically charged hammer had made quick work of it. The problems began when her hammer accidentally struck a beam that happened to be load-bearing, the breaking of which combined with the damage wrought by the ghost to abruptly flatten the entire west wing. Luckily, the mistress of the house was so grateful for the removal of the spirit that she was willing to overlook the property damage.

The linen layers wrapping her chest were unnecessary but they were better than the other option; enforced bed rest. The well-to-do lady was compassionate to a fault, and had insisted with all the force of her noble birth that Taelor should stay in the city until her wounds were healed. Unfortunately for the lady's compassion, nobility never did hold much sway with Taelor, so the demand was tempered to a request that she see a Guild doctor before she left. Having no wish to remain inside the Guild Enclave now that she had fulfilled the bounty she came here for, Taelor stood silently as the doctor did his work.

(I swear that bit of dust wasn't there when I took the photos)

I'm really happy with how this model turned out, especially the face. It's my first attempt at painting skin without touching elf flesh or pale flesh, and I think it came out well.

So spreadsheet-wise, that's a conversion of underboob shirt to bandages for the June Detektuv's Jurnal, a bit of Backstory, and a photo with username in it.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Is it ok if I quote a whole bunch of pics that I think are especially awesome? I don't want to clutter the thread. :ohdear:

That NMM :allears: So shiny! :sparkles:

I like these guys. They have nice green pants.

I love the little added details, like the cigar and the gold tooth.

Has anyone told you you're awesome? Cos you're awesome.

Pretty colours! Was this airbrushed?

Red Shoe posted:

These fantastic conversions were done by forums member BuffaloChicken. My contributions are the paint and bases.
:cthulhu: SO. drat. COOL. Those bio-fan-wing-things are fantastic.

Me and my housemate love the bright blue.

That's really neat how you painted the bullet holes!

An excellent board, and some excellent terrifying monsters.

This guy looks great. The high contrast on the face really makes the features stand out.

Great conversion, and a fun colour scheme.

These are so creepy! (In a good way)

Purple orks are great. Those zombie horses are also great. This is all great.

So clean! How did you get it so crisp? And the broken console is fantastic.

moths posted:

How exactly do we do this?

e: That is, where do we upload them to? Just comment on their page with the images? Put them in a specific gallery or message them?

e2: ...On second thought, posting a swastika on facebook is potentially troublesome no matter what the context.

That was a misinterpretation of the G&G facebook event; there are no prizes, sorry. It's meant to be a chance to share your painting with other G&G fans, to build community spirit and good will etc. But still feel free to post your pictures! (If they are facebook safe)

The event is here, and it's finished for June but they might run it again in future months.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 1, 2013

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I don't think extra penalties are necessary. That's more likely to just make people quit the thread entirely.

Of course, everyone is free to wear a pizza hat if they so choose.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I should probably oath this month!

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of July this Britanan Standard Bearer from Tor Gaming and this Ogre Hero from Mantic Games!

And a closer look at the pieces - that spare axe head will soon be used to replace the one currently used by the Ogre Hero.

It was my birthday last week, so I didn't get around to planning my oath. Now I have a week to get these guys done, whilst I try to organise (potentially) moving house!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

What is the scale of your Britanan dude? I'm not familiar with Tor Gaming and it looks like maybe it's a smaller scale.

It took some searching, but their website says that the game Relics is 28mm scale. The little guy is a puppet, and therefore a bit smaller than a human or spessmuhreen. They will eventually release the 'Puppetmaster' who will be full sized, towering over his army of tiny cloth musketmen.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby declare OATH COMPLETE!

I just discovered how to make collages!

Ogre Hero

Britanan Standard Bearer

I'm claiming Box Art for the Britanan Standard Bearer:

And the Doktor's Jurnal is the new axe head I gave the Ogre Hero:

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I credited you for Fly Your Flag here on the belief that you handpainted this flag. Please let me know if I was wrong.

I did paint it myself, yep! I forgot about the flag bonus, so thanks for adding it for me.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

My Bones arrived! :woop: Accordingly,

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of August, this Bones Wizard!

My other half has gone to Darwin for the weekend, so I'm spending the next few days visiting my mother's house. I'm bringing some Bones kobolds with me to try to get my brothers to have a go at painting. :3: I hope I've packed the right paints, cos uni starts on Monday and I might not have much spare time to waste on wizards.

I also have a question - for the Jurnal, would some form of spell residue count as weathering?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

:woop: I, Schmetterling, declare OATH COMPLETE! :woop:

After spending far too long trying to find out this wizard's official Reaper name, I learnt that he's a brand new sculpt, just for Bones.

I like his little familiar quite a lot. :3: He's sort of a sloth-monkey.

It's messy work, sorcery. Lots of weathering for the Jurnal in the form of glittery spell residue all over everything.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Thanks for finding it for me. :) Looks like he was only put up in the Reaper store on the 26th; no wonder I couldn't find it before.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, Oath this Reaper Bones Frost Giantess for September
I think all the Bones are 28mm-ish, but she's a giantess, so who knows?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete

This month I tried wet blending for the first time ever, using one of the double-ended Games and Gears brushes I got in their kickstarter a while ago. I learnt that wet blending is hard, but can give good results, and that I should probably have looked up a tutorial before trying it. :(

I also learnt that the slightly translucent Bones material can hide mold lines entirely until you've painted over them. :argh: I didn't notice until I'd already begun shading and highlighting, and by then I didn't know how to fix them without starting entirely from scratch.

The Detektuv's Jurnal is the freehanded pattern on the skirt. It's a bit abstract, but it reminds me of peacock feathers. I tried to use a limited colour palette for the whole model, and I think it worked out alright. :yaycloud:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that her club is actually a smaller lady.

Painting a larger model was interesting, as I tried to apply what I've learnt to do to regular 28mm models to the much larger area.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for October this Wyrd Shang miniature and this Reaper Bones Spider Swarm

Spending the day at uni painting, so I'm going to go for the speed painting bonus.

Also, Shang is from Malifaux.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for October this Wyrd Shang miniature and this Reaper Bones Spider Swarm

Spending the day at uni painting, so I'm going to go for the speed painting bonus.

Oath Complete!

Speed painting, done! I also painted half of an angler-fish man, but didn't get a photo (or remove any mold lines) before I began so he can remain as an unseen experiment in painting swamp monsters bright blue and purple.

Is it ok to post this now, and do some nicer photos of these two minis with my later oath complete post? I'm waiting on some water effects gel before I commit to doing something fancy. (After seeing what it could do earlier in the thread, I just had to try it. And conveniently, I have this Bones Cthulu lying around...)

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

The water effects are for :cthulhu:. I'm making a diorama with a cliff and a cultist and runed slabs bursting from the ocean and it's going to be so cool... now I just need to be a better painter. :eng99:

Shang and the spiders are as done as they'll get, bases and all.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Addition!

I additionally oath this Reaper Bones Beholder for the month of October.

I realised I needed something pink for this month, so I got my bf to pick out one of my many Bones. Hence, pink Beholder.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

:toot: Oath Complete! :toot:

The spider pile and Shang the fire fox were both Speedpainted.

Schmetterling posted:

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!

The Beholder Eye Beast is pink for the Detektuv's Jurnal.

I've taken a few nicer photos of Shang, now that I've got the lightbox set up.

And finally, this is my Strike a Pose photo series.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 27, 2013

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

My Malifaux vote: Moths. There's a few mold lines visible, but I really like the way you've tied the crew together with the same colour tones. The greenish grey and greenish brown clothes make even the human models seem tied to the Nothing Beast. Everything's sorta desaturated, which suits a group from out of time.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for November these two Reaper Bones skeletons and two Reaper Bones zombies

I move house tomorrow (:woop:) and I've spent the first half of the month finishing assignments and packing, so hopefully I can get these simple guys done in the last week of the month after we are all moved in.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

I finished these over the past couple of hours, as I realised it was the end of the month and I'd not even unpacked my painting stuff. :downs: that'll teach me to try to move house and do an oath at the same time.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2013

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Is it too late to oath? :ohdear:

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of December, this Malifaux Student of Conflict.

Luckily, I get to stay in Brisbane over Christmas, so I can use the time my bf is away to get it done.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete
Guess what happens when you have an assignment due and then forget to take your meds? You forget to paint eyes and completely half-arse the NMM! :yayclod: Poor little guy; maybe I'll redo him in the future, when I can actually spend some time on him.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Special Cool-Person Point: Schmetterling!

I shouldn't have to tell you why this doesn't work, but it's because of these many, obvious reasons that I love these guys. Art evokes emotions, and I find it hilarious that even in undeath, these guys gotta keep them locks in top shape.
Yay! Points! I had planned an elaborate photoshoot of the undead fashion show, but time constraints ended that idea. I enjoyed making tiny plaits out of greenstuff. :3:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of January a Reaper Bones wizard lady and a Reaper Bones candlestick.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

The Jurnal is the light diffusing through the candles, and the light from the crystal on the staff.

It's hard to get even lighting when it's 2am and I only have one lamp.

The OSL I did last year was kinda terrible, but I like how this one went.

I had a near miss when I tried to open my new Amethyst wash and it exploded all over the desk. Luckily I caught most of it on the palette and my brush towel; now I just have a purple puddle and nothing to use it on.

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 31, 2014

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I almost hate to point it out, because your models and paintjob are otherwise lovely, but... you painted your fire upside-down. Fire is white/yellow at the source of ignition, fading to darker colors as you go away from that. A was candle flame can be a little different, with a touch of blue at the bottom and the brightest part in the middle, but still no red at the middle point.

You still get all the points of course! :)

I always notice this because some very good painters make the same mistake. I just noticed it in a recent White Dwarf, some pro GW studio painter got it backwards in a big display photo.

:downs: I knew that. In my defence it was after midnight when I did the flames, and apricot cider does not help with remembering how to paint properly. I'll redo it tomorrow (that is, later today). Unfortunately it'll be too late to update the pics by then.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I need to get myself started and out of this slump by having something big to work on. Accordingly,

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of February this diorama containing a Reaper Bones wizard and a Reaper Bones Cthulu, as well as this sandgarden-themed display board.

I need to clean up and greenstuff the big guy, so I guess that's what I'll be doing tonight.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

:cthulhu: Oath Complete! :cthulhu:

These are my diorama and my display board.

The display board is meant to resemble a sand garden like the one I used to have on my desk, and to act as a continuation of the sand patterns on the bases. This is set up to fit the contents of the Misaki boxset from Malifaux; I haven't assembled the other two ninjas or Ototo yet.

This is the biggest "miniature" I've ever painted!

Luckily it will fit in my display cupboard (which is half full of teapots...)

Cthulu here was a continual lesson in painting Bones. For example, the artists acrylic that I used as my grey basecoat never seemed to dry, so I just put my many washes and then highlights over the tacky mess. The 'mat' spray I used seems to have stabilised it, even if it is a bit more shiny than I'd like.

My boyfriend is amazed that Cthulu is "looking right at him!"

I built the cliffs out of styrofoam, then covered them with craft glue and sand.

When I spray painted it, I discovered that I had not been as diligent with the glue as I should have been, so I got all these nice melty cavern bits.

The water effects were done following the tutorial by Red Shoe from the modelling thread. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out for my first time.

For my Jurnal entry, I used HUGH as one of the glowing inscriptions. My boyfriend was pleased that his name was being used in the summoning. Unfortunately the water effect foam turned out more opaque than I expected, so all you can see is HU. :(

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of March a converted Reaper Bones woman and fifteen tokens.

The conversion is the woman's left hand - she originally had a small lumpy empty hand, an unfortunate victim of the Bones propensity to blur small details. Now she has the left hand of a cowboy, complete with pistol!

The tokens are my Rolled a Six inclusion; I plan to use them for the Mouseguard RPG as 'check' tokens. The game just asks you to make a mark on a sheet of paper or something, but I wanted something cute to use along with the fancy dice in my set. There are three different designs because initially I wasn't sure which elements of the game were suitable for tokens and had a vague plan to use them for pass/fail markers for skills. Turns out, that would require a ton of markers and be super complicated to manage, so now they're all for checks!

I used three silver charms and some instant mold to make many copies of the images I wanted, cut off the excess greenstuff, and then glued the cut outs to some black rubber circles I have had for ages.

Oh, and I received my prize from Bachtere! I requested a female mini with curly red hair, and this is what I received:

Three minis! The red-haired spellcaster painted just for me, and two extras - an elemental sorcerer type lady which Bachtere tells me is from DeepWars, and an especially gross Festus the Leechlord! :D

My phone wasn't willing to take any nice photos, but these give some idea of what the painted mini looks like; very pretty!

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 18, 2014

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

I wanted to add texture to the tokens, so I used a layer of crackle nail polish and then covered it in brown. They are my rolled a six etc entry.

I think they came out ok, especially as they're just tokens for a game that barely needs them.

I did the lady as a sort-of speedpaint.

The jurnal is the hand-swap that gave her the gun.

I really need to build a lightbox for myself. And get more lamps.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Illudere posted:

Oath Complete! No journal.

These dwarf miniatures aren't really meant to be based individually and a few lost arms when I was cutting them apart.

Aww they're so cute and tiny :3:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Booley posted:

Oath Complete

Jurnal is holding the banner instead of it being on his back. This is also Fly Your Flag and Box Art.

This image shows the box art and the original banner position.

Cool flag :swoon:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

^^^ that's cool, I like your multi-racial space elves

What's the theme for this final month? I wanna pick my minis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I'd prefer a single deadline, with updates from the organisers/ a countdown timer to show how long is left when it gets close.

I just did the time conversion once each year, so last year it was due 2pm on the first for me, and this years was due at 10am on the first.

• Locked thread