Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
New Oath thread, new contestant!

I, Slimnoid, oath an Ork Stompa from Games Workshop, and both a Teddy and Daydreams from Wyrd miniatures.

These are both commissions, and since I have to do them this month anyway, may as well Oath'em up.

I swear I'll paint some of my own models next month, so help me god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

This wasn't 100% clear: are you brand new, e.g., do you qualify for Aww, a Baby!, which gets you a free point?

Also: is that ork gargant an Epic-scale thing, or 28mm? I assumed it was 28mm.

I'm brand-new, yes. I didn't get in on the last Oath thread, so I'd assume I'd qualify for the Aww, a Baby! point.

Also yes, the Stompa is 28mm.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren:

More to follow below the badly-written journal!

---

Journal of Slimnoid the Barely Omniscient, nevermind sober; May, Year of the Buggard Rodent

Started out like any other day. A day of sitting back and painting the goods what my customers are asking for. Slapping colored liquid onto little army men ain't much of a livin', but it lets a guy eat, y'know? Better n'chowing down on that crap-rear end ramen what comes in little bags, stuff tastes like cardboard. They say y'gotta cook it in boilin' water and add them salty packets, but who's got time for that?

Day like that day, it was anything but bad. Warm n' sunny, perfect for a stroll or a special time with a special lady...neither of which is an option in my line of work. It was mid-day when I noticed the piece of paper slid under the door; eggshell-white, immaculate handwriting, real fancy work there. No return address, or even a name, which was a bit odd. There was but one request, a daunting one even for me:

"Stompa."

drat it. I had just finished a whole cartload of the little green bastards, and now someone wants me to paint one of those Mister Potato-Head looking things. The whispers of the Teddy and his Daydream friends haunted me too, telling me they needed to be done as well--all for some weird competition I'd never heard of. Oath? Like one of them blood oaths? I hope not, I ain't got time to bleed.

Who the hell names their place 'Something Awful?' Smells like cat piss in here...

---

First up, the Games Workshop Ork Stompa!

Waaaaaaaaagh!

Parts List:
  • Krylon: Grey Primer, Matte Varnish
  • Army Painter Red Primer
  • Vallejo Air: Black, Grey Primer, Light Grey, White, Cam. Light Brown, and Light Brown
  • Citadel: Leadbelcher, Averland Sunset, Brass Scorpion, Blood Red, Brown Ink, Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade, Astronomicon Grey, Asurman Blue, Hawk Turquise, Blackfire Earth
  • P3: Cold Steel, Sanguine Base
  • Americana: Lamp Black, Neutral Grey, Light Grey
  • Pledge Floor Finish with Future Shine

Secondly, Wyrd Miniatures Teddy and 3 Daydreams!

With the Teddy model, I wanted to give a ripped/torn flesh look to his belly, so I freehand copied an image I GIS'd of someone's tattoo.

Parts List:
  • Krylon: Matte Varnish
  • Vallejo Air: Grey Primer, White, Cam. Light Brown, and Light Brown
  • Citadel: Liche Purple, Agrax Earthshade, Leviathan Purple, Ogryn Flesh, Asureman Blue, Thraka Green, Goblin Green, Baal Red, Bleached Bone
  • Reaper Masterclass: Fire Red, Phoenix Red, Fire Orange
  • Coat d'Arms: Dwarven Flesh, Tanned Flesh, Elven Flesh
  • P3: Sanguine Base, Sanguine Highlight
  • Americana: Lamp Black, Neutral Grey, Light Grey
  • Pledge Floor Finish with Future Shine
  • Greenstuff and Evergreen Scale Models Sidewalk plasticard for the bases

Work in Progress shots!

I believe this puts me up for the Awwww! a BABY!, Parts list, and Backstory bonuses. I also completed this month's Detectuv Jurnal with the work in progress shots for the various models.

I'm not sure if the Teddy and Daydreams would fall under the Themed Group drawing; they all have the same base and go with the same crew for Malifaux, but they obviously don't match up with the Stompa. I'd argue that they do fit for that drawing, but hey, I'll leave that up to the people running this show!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:I, Slimnoid, pledge a Games Workshop Ork Stompa (28mm), 5x Privateer Press Cryx Soulhunters (28mm), a Privateer Press Cryx Machine Wraith, and 11x Games Workshop Servitor dice holders!:siren:

I will be aiming for this month's Detektuv’s Jurnal - battle damage bonus on the Stompa. I'm also going for the I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 bonus on the Servitor dice holders (hey, they're objective markers basically!)

In addition, I will do the Speed painting! bonus on the Machine Wraith.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 4, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sheeeeeit tadgh, that's pretty :black101:. I was planning to do an entire 2k Dark Angels army next month, looks like I'll have to step up my game and add something big to the mix!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

For the Speed painting! bonus, should the time started and timed finished photos be posted when the model is completed within the 24 hour time limit, or is it kosher to hold off and put it in an Oath Completed post? As it stands I'm probably going to finish that Machine Wraith before midnight :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:Finished my Speed Painting bonus for June!:siren:

Before...

...and after!

Complete with not-as-crappy photos.

I'll add these to my Completed Oath post in the future, for ease of search and completion's sake.

I'm also going to amend my original Oath post; seems I added one more counter to the mix than I should have. I got 11, not 12--and it shows in the photo. :doh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

First up, the big boy of this month, the Ork Stompa!

Here's some of the battle damage portion. There's uh...not exactly a lot I could do to add more damage to the darn thing, it's pretty beat up as-is! Still, I drilled some additional bullet holes in it and scoured a couple scratches in.

After that, we have the 11 Servitor Dice Holders!

I'm really happy with how the lenses came out on these guys. Rather simple, but effective.

Following that up, the 5 Cryx Soul Hunters!

I wanted to experiment with rotting flesh, but in such a way as to make it look stretched out, as if it'd all been just stapled to an iron framework. It was also one of my first times really playing around with Tamiya Red, and I like the effect that it gives on the exposed muscle.

And finally, for completion's sake, a repost of the Cryx Machine Wraith I did up earlier this month!

- - -

That's about it! It's been a long month for me, and everything that could have gone wrong with the Stompa, happened. Being busy with real life things certainly didn't help matters--I would have posted this stuff up at least a week earlier had I not been so preoccupied. Ah well!

For points, I aimed for the June Detektuv’s Jurnal (battle damage), I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01, and Speed Painting! bonuses.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:I, Slimnoid, pledge a 10-man squad of Terminators, two 5-man squads of Terminators, and a custom Belial! (all 28mm, all Games Workshop):siren:

Belial

Ten-man squad

Two five-man squads

I will be aiming for this month's Detektuv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap), In Battle!, and Fly your Flag bonuses! I'm also shooting for the Themed Group drawing, since the entire army is going to be on Space Hulk-style bases.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I finished up the Cut and Swap for July.

These are just the Dark Vengeance Dark Angels terminators with some bitz swapped around. The one on the left had it's helmet cut out and replaced with one of the cloaked heads from the DA sprue, as well as adding the banner and some greenstuff. The one on the right, had the power sword arm lobbed off and replaced with a power fist; the arm holding the storm bolter was originally a thunder hammer arm that I had to cannibalize, as I'd run out of proper gun arms. Whoops.

I actually got these done a while ago, but my airbrush died and so I couldn't really get any painting done. Kind of kills the drive to do anything! My new one came in today though, so it's all good :3:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ugh. I've got everything painted, and have had for a week and a half, but I'm aiming for that In Battle bonus with an actual game of 40k tomorrow afternoon. Cutting it super close here.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Deanut Pancer posted:

I think that you don't need to do that bonus in the same month as the model is actually painted. The only requirement is that it is a model oathed in this season, so you should be able to include the In Battle pics in a later month

Oh poo poo, you're right! Well, guess I'll just put that bonus off to next month or something, since it's up in the air whether I'll get a game in tomorrow or not.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

A full 1500pts of Terminators!

Sword Squad. Belial's personal pimp squad.

Typical terminator. The emblem is from the Angels of Absolution.

Heavy weapons. The gun arms are magnetized.

All power weapons and thunder hammers received this treatment.

Green Squad. I color-coded most of the squads by coloring the power fist, kneecap, or shield a matching color.

Deathwing Champion, with the Halberd of Caliban.

Hazard Squad.

Hazard stripes are always :black101:

Deathwing Command Squad

The missile launcher is from the Reaper CAV Outlaw model. 77 cents a piece, can't beat that price!

Banner of Fortitude.

Belial, Master of the Deathwing.

I aimed for the Detektuv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap) and Fly your Flag bonuses, as well as the Themed Group drawing. The cut and swap entry is quoted below, for completion's sake.

I really had a blast doing these, even with the setback mid-way through the month where my airbrush died. Getting to paint my own models for once is a breath of fresh air, and I hope to tackle some of the power armor side of the army next month.

Slimnoid posted:

I finished up the Cut and Swap for July.

These are just the Dark Vengeance Dark Angels terminators with some bitz swapped around. The one on the left had it's helmet cut out and replaced with one of the cloaked heads from the DA sprue, as well as adding the banner and some greenstuff. The one on the right, had the power sword arm lobbed off and replaced with a power fist; the arm holding the storm bolter was originally a thunder hammer arm that I had to cannibalize, as I'd run out of proper gun arms. Whoops.

I actually got these done a while ago, but my airbrush died and so I couldn't really get any painting done. Kind of kills the drive to do anything! My new one came in today though, so it's all good :3:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Question about this month's Detectuv Jurnal: does the weathering have to be on the model, or could it be applied to the base it's on? I ask this because I have some powered armored dudes that are following the same paint scheme I did for last month (crisp, clean bone white on rusty space ship bases).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following: 10 Dark Vengeance Space Marines, 1 Librarian, and 2 pieces of the Battle of Macragge crashed thunderhawk terrain (GW); 3 Cryx Bonejacks, 1 Slayer Helljack, and 1 Deneghra (Privateer Press)!

The crashed Thunderhawk main piece measures to about 7"x6", and the smaller piece is about 2"x4".

I will be aiming for this month's Detectuv's Jurnal (Weathering), as well as the Strike a Pose and Double the Fun! bonuses. I'll also shoot for the Get Based Out bonus on the DV Librarian.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Finished making the base for my Librarian, for the Get Based Out bonus.

My friend's phone couldn't get any closer than New York, but it's in the same time zone so whatever :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I should probably check this thread more often!

krushgroove posted:

Cool! So this is your oath picture to 'start' this particular piece, correct? meaning, you'll be painting it up by the end of the month? Just making sure you're doing it right.

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm. Slimnoid also already has an oath for this month going. Should I be tracking the "oath" post for a Get Based Out entry separately somewhere? Or, should Slimnoid be combining this with his regular oath post?

The point was to combine it with the Librarian I already oathed this month. I was under the impression that the base for a model could be separate for the Get Based Out bonus, but I think I only caused some :confused: in the process. As it is, I painted the Librarian before I made the base, so things are a little weird now.

I think I'll abstain from trying the Get Based Out bonus for this month and reserve it for the future; I've got a much better idea on the back-burner that would be much more suited for the bonus anyway. I'll list what bonuses I aimed for on my Oath Completed post, for the sake of clarity.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 20, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

3 Cryx Bonejacks, 1 Slayer Helljack, and 1 Deneghra

Bonejacks

Slayer Helljack

Deneghra

Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast

10 Tactical Marines

Sergeant Dantalion alongside the heavier firepower

Librarian Ipos

Crashed Thunderhawk terrain

For some inane reason I have Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast in my original Oath post but didn't bother to list her as to what models I was painting. I'm hoping that isn't going to be a problem.

And now the Strike a Pose bonus:

Sergeant Dantalion's 4th Company squad arrived at the crash site before dawn. The billowing smoke choked the sky, blocking out the waning rays lighting the up the broken, rotting landscape of Solaris IV. A cursed world, once a mining operation for the ever-valuable adamantine, but now was wasting away from the repeated incursions of Nurgle. His pustule-covered servants had laid waste to the local PDF and were running wild, infusing the local landscape with disease, making even the simple grass a deadly encounter. The Angels of Absolution were the only ones within close proximity, and sprung into action.

The 6th Company Thunderhawk Gunship had promised reinforcements to the beleagured troops fighting to clear the corpse-jungle five clicks south when it was shot out of the sky. Giant, bulbous flies had swarmed from the steaming jungle, latching on to the outer surface of the hull before exploding into burning acid, burning through the hull in seconds and causing a catastrophic engine failure. By the time Dantalion and his crew arrived, there was little left to salvage; most of the crew were dead, yet few of their fellow marines were left as casualties. Deep grooves in the dirt told that a Rhino APC had been here, and not too long off.

Librarian Ipos--dark, brooding Ipos, whose fiery temper was kept in check only by the cranial implants of his psychic hood--ran a hand over the acid-splotched hull. The faint glow of an exposed engine panel drew the attention of Brother Leraje, and upon further inspection found that the plasma coil had been removed. Something was off here. A faint psychic trail lingered; this, coupled with the missing coil and marines, gave the marines a new purpose. Perhaps there would be time to save their brothers, before whatever evil these Nurglites planned bloomed to fruition.

- - -

Well, I had fun this month! The Librarian especially was a joy to paint--even the banner wasn't too obnoxious, in the end. I'm a bit unhappy with the gunship terrain pieces though; for some reason it came out really washed-out, more than I intended, but I think that's just from the water I used when I 'salted' it.

Bonuses for this month: Detectuv's Jurnal (Weathering) and Strike a Pose.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Germ posted:

Slimnoid - I saw your post about weathering powders over on the 40k thread. Are you using Secret Weapon, or another brand?

I'm using a no-name brand a customer had given me a year ago or so, but you could use the Secret Weapon powders no problem.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

How the HELL did you do those waves? :stare:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath to paint the following: 1 Terminator Librarian and 2 Chaplains (GW, 28mm); 1 Lord Exhumator Scaverous (28mm, Privateer Press); and 1 Lilith and 3 Terror Tots (Wyrd Games, 28mm)

For this month I'm aiming for the Detektuv's Jurnal: Freehand and Double the Fun! bonuses, with August's Jurnal (weathering) being the second 'bonus.'. Both Jurnals will be on the metal Chaplain model in the middle of the top photo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lord Exhumator Scaverous

Terminator Librarian

Terror Tots

Lilith

Brother-Chaplain "Come at me bro"

Brother-Chaplain "I got a fire stick"

So! This month I aimed for the Detektuv's Jurnal: Freehand and Double the Fun! bonuses; I went for last month's Jurnal (Weathering) for Double the Fun. Both are on Chaplain "come at me bro," though for fun I aimed for as much freehanding as I could on Lilith and the Librarian.

I'm getting more comfortable with doing freehand painting, even if it's taking me a little longer than my usual pace. Lighting is also coming a lot more naturally to me via an airbrush, and I think I'm going to include it in a lot more of my models. Really helps to make them 'pop' on the tabletop.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

You really earned your forum name with those dudes, Germ :v:

I think you just need to tighten up the circles on the back of the rhino. For your first time free-handing it looks solid, but that one circle on the top is lop-sided. I'm sure you're aware of that! I'd suggest using some sort of stencil or something if you plan to do it again, doing circles is a pain in the rear end and you may as well just use whatever means necessary to get it right.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

You already did Double the Fun with this oath, although maybe you didn't realize since I credited it to you (parts list + backstory + the month's theme).

Nope, had no idea. I should probably check the sheet more often :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

From what I can gather, this was a GenCon special model that was sold only at GenCon, so yeah it's pretty rare!

To add to that: it's sometimes thrown into packs of models, and was for a while there a little 'apology' model for a mistake--missing parts, horribly warped/damaged, etc. I happened to get this Miss Pack in a Ramos box set, for instance! You're still lucky to get it though, since it's entirely random as to when and how you'll get the model.

But yeah, let's get some more Malifaux in this thread! The new edition is out, so I'm hoping to see some good stuff from you guys.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for October: 4 Night Terrors, 3 Witchling Stalkers, 1 Samuel Hopkins, and 1 Lady Justice (28mm, all Wyrd miniatures); and 1 Giant Spider (28mm, Reaper)

I decided to finish up some of my own Malifaux models I've had lying around for a while. Obviously I'm excluding myself from the Miss Pack draw, since it would be very silly to win my own model :v:

The only bonus I'm aiming for is this month's Jurnal, which will be (surprise surprise) on the Giant Spider.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ugh.

So, you're probably wondering: "Hey Slim, why are the first two pictures so goddamn tiny?" The answer to that is my camera decided to set itself to 640x480 while I wasn't looking, and the slew of pictures I had of Lady Justice and the Night Terrors all ended up being that exact size. What's worse is that I can't go back and retake them; they were commissions, and are already in the hands of their owners. There's no way I can get them back and take photos before the end of the month.

I mean, yeah, at least I GOT pictures to prove I painted them, so no failed oath this month...but finding that out today of all days is incredibly disheartening :smith:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, will be oathing the following for November: Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (6 models), Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis; Axis, the Harmonic Enforcer; 6 Clockwork Angels; and Saxon Orrik (all Privateer Press, 28mm). In addition: Sonnia Criid, and Nino Ortega (Wyrd, 28mm)

I'm going for the Box Art bonus with the Nyss Hunters. This month's Jurnal will be on Saxon Orrik, since he's really the only guy out of the bunch that probably doesn't shave very often :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Also for October there was some kind of prize relating to Wyrd Miniatures! I'll have to have Krushgroove remind me what the prize is and whether it's a random draw or what.

That would be the Miss Pack mini that I've offered up as a prize!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Signal posted:

My Malifaux vote: Slimnoid's dudes are awesome.

I'm handing out the prize, so I'm recused. Better change it up there!

My vote goes for Forkbanger.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I also have yet to receive that Blood Angels Games Day figure from August.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Aurora, Numen of Aerogenesis

Axis, the Harmonic Enforcer

Clockwork Angels

Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters

Saxon Orrik

Sonnia Criid

Nino Ortega

This month I went for the Detectuv Jurnal (Movember) which can be seen on Saxon; he's got a week-old stubble going on. I also went for the Box Art bonus on the Nyss Hunters, of which the box art is shown below (pulled from PP's web site, but it's the exact same image on the retail box).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm also cool with A. Let the keeper of the prizes be the arbiter! (...yeah, sorry, I'm on cold meds right now, carry on.)

Also yeah, I'd be fine with giving the final vote if no one objects.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

OK, cool (sorry I should have contacted you first actually, I've just been really busy!) - go ahead and announce the winner then! It's been more than a day since I asked for everyone's preference.

Oh no, it's cool.

:siren:Paging Moths!:siren:

You've won yourself a Miss Pack model for Malifaux! If you'd like to receive this prize, send me an email at ryancrussin@gmail.com and we can discuss how best to send it your way.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, will be oathing the following for December: 1 Diffuser Light Vector 'jack, 2 Mitigator Light Vector 'jacks, 2 Galvanizer Light Vector 'jacks, Madelyn Corbeau, and 8 Soul Tokens (all Privateer Press, all 28mm); and 1 Terminator Chaplain (Games Workshop, 28mm)

I'll be aiming for this months Detectuv's Jurnal (NMM) on the Chaplain. This should be easy, I do NMM all the time :suicide:

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 3, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

krushgroove posted:

I'll bring your brushes to Warhammer World Sunday!

I know several people are missing their prizes, some of these are because (I'm guessing) our sponsors are busy (one is just a one-man operation, another is running a busy Kickstarter campaign), anyone else missing theirs is because the items are actually lost in the post or because I haven't been able to send stuff out (this is mostly for Troll Trader and Grab Bag prize winners).

If anyone is missing something and hasn't let me know, please drop me an email at krushgroove169 at gmail!

Yeah, I also have yet to receive that Games Day BA Captain from...August? September? Whenever that was. I'd honestly forgotten about it until I saw your post though, so clearly I'm in no hurry :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Left to right: 2x Galvanizer Light Vector, 1x Diffuser Light Vector

2x Mitigator Light Vector

Cryx Soul Tokens

Madelyn Corbeau

Terminator Chaplain

For this month's Jurnal, I went for an NMM bronzed look on the Chaplain's weapon and shoulder pad, and a gold NMM on the star above his head. The bronze I took from this article, and though it didn't come out like his, I can't say I'm unhappy with it. I've mostly done gold NMM, so it was a learning experience!

Obviously I went for the Detectuv's Jurnal (NMM) as my singular bonus for the month.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 16, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Hi Slimnoid. Especially if you're going to put multiple images of the same miniature into your post, I need you to please label your photos so I can tell if you've actually finished everything you oathed. In this case, I can see you oathed five jacks. I don't know if I'm looking at photos of five jacks or eight jacks or just three jacks or what. I don't know jack about jacks!

Thanks.

Bah, I knew I forgot to do something!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

If you do get into it more, consider grabbing a pressure pot or making your own. Getting bubble-free casting is paramount, and helps prevent a massive waste of material.

This is less of a problem if you do simple one-piece molds, like bases or the wrecked markers that Germ does. I've been toying with molds for the better part of the past year, off and on, and I'm just about to get a pressure pot. So far I've had the best luck with things like bases, where it's really easy to make some custom ones and then pop out a whole bunch over the span of a weekend.

As an example, here's some tech bases I've made for my Dark Angels army. By this point I've got a box full of these things, as I just pour any excess resin into the mold when I'm working on another mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I, Slimnoid, oath the following models for January: Abuela Ortega (Wyrd Miniatures), 2x Brute Thralls (Privateer Press) and a Hydra (Reaper Miniatures); all 28mm

I'm going for both the Detectuv's Jurnal (OSL) and the Diorama bonuses on the Hydra!

• Locked thread