Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

phew, finally a thread just for me :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

imposter syndrome and i have it but its actually true

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I also go to hospitals and tell the doctors I have Münchausen syndrome but I really dont

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Nehacoo posted:

i am right now leraning javascript.

comments and opinions?

i was gonna go with 'no dont!' but instead i think I'll go with 'lol just lol'

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

code is computer talk

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i already learned all that stuff and forgot it welp cya later

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

im going to learn ruby

no dont

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

in my short career i have thrown a django thing at basically every problem and it has worked. but in the past when I encountered a bug I would be like "$feature sucks because the web is a lovely platform" and now I realize that it just seems that way because of what a scrub i am

i guess i should look into ruby i just have this huge feeling of ughhhhhhh about it for some reason. i think its the japanese spergitude

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 22, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

vim is my go-to log analysis tool

vim owns but use tail -f for this

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you're welcome to your opinion, but loving say something, not just "HURR PYTHON GOOD LANGUAGE DURR SPAM EGGS HEIL PEP 8"

perhaps you could list the things you like about the python language that other languages do not provide?

python is cool because:
- its really easy
- its fast enough for your dumb bullshit
- it has a lot of libraries for most common stuff you wanna do
- its not php

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 28, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

im coding c for the first time in a while for a class and its p cool that you get to be so explicit with ur bits and stuff but hoooo boy its a pain in the rear end to do stuff that would take 5 seconds in python

I started putting in a bunch of #define things to all the boilerplate stuff like for loops and traversing linked lists and then I realized I'm basically re-inventing lovely python

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i just python to do stuff and its real easy and i don't have to spend 12 hours debugging super vague errors and tedious pointer problems

the only thing i can think of doing with c that might be vaguely interesting is calculating stuff really fast with a GPU but I don't have any problems where time is a huge factor. like i could make a fractal zoomer or something but it would only run on windows if u have a nvidia video card

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

prefect posted:

python is written in c, isn't it?

you were using c all along

:psyboom:

yeah and its great because basically they wrote a wrapper over all the tedious parts of c so you don't have to worry about dumb poo poo

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

stoutfish posted:

if you want to write c, might as well go all the way with real asembley

just do gcc -S on some fairly basic c file for a glimpse into how lovely that would be

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

alright srschat

im comin from a 'shadetree learning while writing goofy poo poo' perspective. sell me. how will postgres > mysql in this context

is it because it is better at all levels, or because going any deeper in mysql would give me training in poo poo that doesnt earn a dude money

both

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

ill, thanks. i'll goof this weekend

im still sort of a scrub but i do django things to recieve income so feel free to ask when you fall into a noob pitfall :)

also #django on freenode has been a good resource for me, theres a lot of dudes who sit on there at their jobs all day and they will always help with ur stupid problems

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

what languages are most popular for employers

java? c++? objc?

and also i have a python thing and i want to give it a gui hence python guis

just get good at one of those things and someone somewhere will hire you for it, as long as its not something really stupid like cobol or ruby (eheheh ruby burn)

i have a job doing a python thing but its a part-time student gig

e: specifically django

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

thing is that python is great for learning and making a few personal projects but im kinda running into a wall re: doing anything with it

how so

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

i dont think there's a major difference between languages themselves, obviously stuff like syntax yeah but most projects can be done in anything. the difference is the libraries that are available and how long they've been used in the industry (hence more hireable)

what

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

ummmm idk :( i guess its frustrating trying to get a gui going in python cause there's no great choice out there but also i dunno what to do next, sure there's django n poo poo but im not really a web developer/database admin. most things seem oriented to web development this days in fact

what are you trying to do

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

if you want it to run fast do it in a c-lang

if you want to code it fast do it in python

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

what do you use classes for
last i tried to work with them it was a mess

i'll try to explain this in basic terms while sidestepping any sick 'pos ignorance burns

an easy example would be if you want to write a python thing dealing with 2d shapes, you might make a class called square which would contain a list of tuples which represent vertices that define where the square is, maybe even some variable that tells you what color it is. then there are class methods, i.e. functions that do something to your class object, so an example could be move_forward, and the function would manipulate ur vertices to "move" the square, like to move it up you might add some value to the y-components of the vertices.

in reality tho if you want to mess with 2d stuff in python you can use the python image library and it does a lot of the work for you

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hubris.height posted:

i am a terrible programmer and have only done things of significance in python

i want to make a script that goes through every page of the YOSPOS music thread and stores the URLS in a txt file that I can then turn to html and create a playlist from.

for the first part of this, and imho the most challenging, i need to make a script to parse all the vid urls from the thread. what is the best language to use for this process and will i need to use something that can log me in to do this? thx in advance

yours in christ,

hubris

i did this once but with the pics thread to pick out all the image urls and figure out how many times they had been emptyquoted etc. I dont have the code anymore because it was some dumb poo poo 3 formats ago but i used some fairly standard html parser lib in python and it was really easy.

u just scrape the pages and dig through the html tags until u find the individual posts, then search/extract the youtube urls and put them in a list

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hubris.height posted:

i'll take a look at php

no dont!

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

it still starts u off with C: but it let me add a second hdd and name it A:, i don't think it let you in earlier versions idk

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Zlodo posted:

let's play: erlang

this is literally me right now *reads page after page of dry erlang doucmentation* :allears:

functional programming has always turned me off because it seems syntactically more like "actual math" which i dont really like and am awful at

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

im setting up an amazon ec2 linux vm just for fuckin around on erlang, seems like u can put it on osx but its clearly for a linux

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

MononcQc posted:

It works fine on OSX and you can grab pre-built packages at https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads or you can build it from source with Wx and use some graphical apps like observer or whatever (the packages should work with it too, and it works on all platforms in general).

thx. it will be more fun for me on the cloud anyway if i can make it do an internet thing

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Posting Principle posted:

check out cowboy for doing web things in erlang.

ok i have dived into this for a lil' bit and erlang is some voodoo poo poo. currently trying to get this thing listening on port 80 instead of 8080

e: aww yiss got hello world workin. trip report erlang is weird but p cool

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 14, 2013

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

oh hey i did javascript+canvas visualized data!

did you know?

html formatted emails are a BITCH MOTHERFUCKIING SHITFUCKFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

there is a clear distinction of what belongs in the model, view, or controller. i sit and think about it real hard, and then i put it in one of those three places, and if you dont put it in the same place you are a lovely coder

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

tbh the only logic i ever remember filling in on a model where one field, if not given, had to be calculated from something and saved there, otherwise i p much never did any logic on it

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

mongodb sucks and i will bet if you trace its origins in your workplace it will lead you to someone with a very punchable face

(its u)

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

hey CODERS

-yeah?

are your sql db queries SLOW?

-no, not really.

Yeah? Then you should try MongoDB its totally radical and saves multiple copies of ur data and-

-shut up go away

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

solarized-dark supremacy

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

that sounds awfully hackable but otoh who would even give a poo poo about runescape

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

idk not really it should be as secure as cryotpcat
nah, if its in javascript then you can view whatever game source code that the "client" is running at the time which i would imagine would be highly exploitable

also has anyone made anything in "webgl" that isnt a heaping pile of poo poo

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

well at least you hafta decompile it i guess idk, i didn't know you could do that on java web applets, lol anything that runs off a java plugin is hot garbage

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i played with webgl a lot thinking it was gonna be the next "thing" and holy poo poo its slow and horrible

also imagine writing a game engine in javascript :suicide:

i found some google-written physics engine where you could ramp a toy car into a wall made of 9 blocks, as soon as the collison happens and it has to start calculating physics it drops to like 4 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

i played runescape when i was 11 years old and i played with some english kid and i've known him the longest out of all the friends i still keep up with :unsmith:

• Locked thread