Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

gucci void main posted:

not that I can't afford it, but I hate the idea of trying to justify $70 for sublime text (not that you ever have to pay for it really)

i loved it for a while, but vintage mode is missing way too many useful features from vim

vim + spf13 is alright if you take the time to remove some plugins

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

no you idiot. you should not pay money for a text editor.

shaggar was right

(use vim)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i was going to post that i'm not spergy enough to be picky about indenting/whitespace but then

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

i'm currently editing code which has the worst loving brace style i've ever seen. the person puts his code 2 spaces before the opening brace, so it looks like:
code:
  if()
  {
what();
  }
except for every if and loop.............................

:stonk:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MeruFM posted:

ah yes let me just :%s/fart/burp/g

best vim command

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

programming test for javascript devs: make an ajax call using raw xhr

it's really sad how many people would get tripped up by this

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Brain Candy posted:

i'm trying to be reasonable and i run into dogmatism about analogies

yospos, bitch

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I've always been good enough with SQL but never got the kind of experience to really dig in. Trivial stored procedures and such.

What's a good place to learn how do do more?

i got a copy of this with a class. haven't really dug into it but it seems pretty comprehensive?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

the worst part of programming is programmers.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

just curious how many people who have this opinion of IT and programmers live in cali

i don't, but I work for a startup so it's probably not far off.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

is there a good book or something on tdd

this one is pretty good if you work with python or on web stuff.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

Obey the Testing Goat

web developers won't write tests unless you make it so wacky!!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ChiralCondensate posted:

does anyone really have any fun doing database poo poo? i mean ugh

yes, unless the schema is completely hosed. like the one i deal with at work every day. hoo boy.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

it is if you care about the data

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

craisins posted:

im a php programmer so im at home here

same.

are you, too, excited to finally have a built-in debugger in 2014?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

whoa tell me more

they pulled this thing into the core: http://phpdbg.com/docs/getting-started

but since it's only in 5.6, for me debugging still means

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

not using phpstorm because vim's fine. even if i was going to use an ide, i don't like intellij's stuff.

using php because of legacy codebase.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

suffix posted:

dire circumstances

this one. it's this one.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

what is the least worst php framework? hooray porting legacy code-bases.

laravel is a genuinely good framework.

whatever you do though, stay far away from symfony.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rotor posted:

some shitbag at my last job gave an hourlong talk about how to "craft the code story" with your commits

i worry about my commit history too much and even i'm angry reading this.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah I might try it out. My artisanal vimscript plugins are not very nice to work with/configure at times, if Emacs can get the best of both worlds, without sacrificing modal editing I'd be down.

i preferred god-mode to evil when i used emacs. it's modal, but clobbers less built-in stuff than evil since it just removes the prefixes from the default chords.

lately i just use idea + ideavim.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

tef posted:

i don't like the pragmatic programmer series or any of the books they've published, mostly because the typesetting is jaw droppingly awful to me

whatever font they use is terrible. unbelievably, how are you a publisher with this type terrible.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

we are coming from ruby and our thoughts are very much something like 'hey wouldn't it be nice if it were difficult to do dumb things with our code'

don't worry, i'm sure you'll still find a way.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DaTroof posted:

i hope you guys arent giving me false hope about maven. im p sure i'll need to learn it for this eclipse project and tbh i havent been looking forward to it

maven is legitimately good and will leave you spoiled forever.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i just do whatever my coworkers are doing

i give no fucks

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

what is the terrible programmers thread's opinion on clojure? i really like the idea: a lisp! on the JVM! woo!

but in practice it seems that clojure is constrained by the imperative nature of Java APIs to the point that it doesn't really make sense to use it

like if you want to write in a file, in common lisp you'd do something like this

code:
(with-open-file (stream "file.txt" :direction :output)
  (format stream "HELLO~%"))
where as in clojure you'd need to create additional state to accomplish the same thing

code:
(def stream (java.io.PrintWriter. "file.txt"))
(.println "HELLO")
(.close stream)
i must be missing something, maybe i should finish that clojure book

clojure's cool, i prefer common lisp.

http://www.braveclojure.com/ is a pretty good read if you want something brisk.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

lisp pretty clearly lost the syntax war

i don't know, clojure seems to be getting traction.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've been doing spacemacs and evil vim and i'm never going back to vim holy poo poo

spacemacs is a cool idea but it has so many plugins installed / enabled by default. evil is good stuff though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

personally i've given up on any emacs package distributions. it's just way too much poo poo when for my purposes i can get by with maybe 200-300 lines of el. i'd rather deal with my janky, hand-written, bespoke init.el then crawl through thousands of lines of config across 20 files or so. some of these emacs people turn their emacs config into a huge loving project.

this has been my experience too. even prelude which is pretty sensible winds up being overkill. i just wanted my fairly minimal vimrc replicated in evil.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

If you want minimal vim just use vim

If you want vim inside a powerful development tool, use spacemacs

i write enough lisp that i'll always have to use emacs some of the time.

i eventually did wind up porting over my vim config, so now i only have one weirdo crufty editor to deal with. bonus: slime keybindings that won't destroy my hands.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

been trying out the .net core preview and asp mvc.

turns out shaggar was right all along.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

triple sulk posted:

i'm really looking forward to when it's all working 100% on os x. you can get asp.net running right now but it's definitely still buggy at times.

yeah, it's good for a preview but some parts are still lacking polish. my biggest problem at this point is that the documentation i've found is (understandably) very visual studio focused, and i'm using vs code on osx.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so i havent really been following the .net stuff. am i able to use c# to write stuff in unix without using mono??

it's still using mono for at least some things (nuget and aspnet are definitely using it, according to their github docs). not sure what their long-term goal is.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

really what i want is a clojure job

same except common lisp.

unfortunately, i haven't seen a shop here using anything but php.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure common lisp jobs even exist

whatever clojure's shortcomings as a JVM polyfill for CL fans, at least it is a skill you can sell for money

they're pretty scarce, usually consulting. i would happily accept a clojure job as a consolation prize.

(with all the usual caveats that choice of language is just about the least important thing in a workplace and "clojure job" is shorthand for "clojure job at a decent company")

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

nah I'm in Victoria. not a whole lot of desire to move either. sounds neat though.

i'm genuinely surprised that there are two lisp nerds in victoria.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

lol. didn't you say you are from the east coast as well? I moved here from NL.

halifax, but the east coast loves comp sci degrees and i don't have one so here i am.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

DOM my neg rear end

jesus.

also orms are questionable. i guess they're okay if you treat your db like dumb storage but that's a huge waste?

unless you're using mysql in which case yes, your storage is definitely dumb.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

java, javascript, c#, and python all have this "functional poo poo" and are as mainstream as it gets

idk if php supports it

yes, php has higher order functions. they have terrible syntax and are a pain to use, but it has them.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

pram is tori-ing all of you.

i mean, it's that or he actually likes go. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

I like linq

me too, bloody. me too.

• Locked thread