Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

i hate monad chat because i assume everyone else is joking about not understanding them and im the only doofus who genuinely doesnt know wtf they are
don't worry you're in the right place, i have no idea what monads are either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i was so triggered yesterday about this, ugh. they just were doing what they were told to :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

ah yes the classic german excuse
see, goebbels was just talking about things, the peasants were the bad ones there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

I've heard that gamesutra is pretty good for that niche, dunno about general programming though
gamasutra, while being legit good, has no forums

i think whole 'coding forums' thing now mainly sits on reddit, outside of regional communities

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jesus loving christ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

stay safe mumps ghost

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

do you guys use github or bitbucket or something else for your private shame repos?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

github is good
github seems to be good, but i stick with bitbucket so far because im cheap and github doesnt have private repos in it, so i cant do versioning on latex documents and code spaghetti that are not explicitly publsheable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ya im lazy student so bitbucket works well enough for what little i do, it has one software project, one software mess, and two papers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

i understood that to be the most popular method of becoming one, yes
also known as rtx-coders

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just be careful not to make an 11x coder out of it, that will be even more of a titan to bring down

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

If x is floating point, the conversion truncates towards zero.
english is being particularly uncooperative today. we round down here, right?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

think about what happens with negative numbers.
well i hav eonly positive numbers, so we are rounding down :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

you like to dance close to the fire, don't you?
yea :v: also thanks everyone, im wee bit less terrible spaghetti coder now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

-90 commit :stonklol: someone was trying to disrupt your app

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im being a very bad brogrammer

i.e. "more minuses than pluses in a commit means that commit is negative, +50-140=-90, means commit was loaded with negativity and is bad for programm, as in the app, which in turn means that this commit was a disruption" :downs:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive come up with a p drat efficient way to implement parallel computing into this python thing i wrote for my uni project. ill just run it over separate datasets on separate computers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i'm trying to kill myself, but i can't find a way that's supported by all browsers
#webdev
stay safe php ghost

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what do i do in python when i want to read more stuff than i have ram? i.e. from 80 gb file i can read whatever amount i want, but what do i do when that amount happens to be 20gb and im on a pc with 16gb of ram (simplying it but w/e)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zaxxon posted:

you will just use a lot of virtual memory and it will go slower.
nah, it told me to gently caress off, yanking a MemoryError out, thought that might be feature of numpy or matplotlib, not necessarily the barebones python 2.7.11

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

b0lt posted:

or you ran out of address space because you're using a 32 bit version of python
hm, thats a good call. ill check this and plugins, and maybe then i can plot obscene amounts of data at once

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

just read it line by line instead of all at once and hopefully your plotter understands generators
im reading line by line, but before plotting i need to run bunch of math over the giant array, which is where the devil hides. unless im low on bits somewhere, not going to bother with it this evening.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im looking at the pile of poo poo ive cobbled up since the last spring and its slowly creeping into my mind that coder's salary is literally is a function of usable their poo poo is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imho gmail is best version control

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so, this piece of "software", i.e. pos, with dev budget of $50m, did break in early may because developers coded in a 31 day long april

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

don't roll your own:
  • crypto
  • calendar handling
  • timezone handling
well you would think that giant dev team with literal millions in budget would be able to write a calendar handler :psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyone making terrible python plots with millions of datapoints with something that isnt matplotlib?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 20, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

a lomarf is the smallest possible unit of funny computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lo and behold bad computre toucher thread, i dont know what unit tests specificaly are. shame me, but also link something to read, python if its oddly specific

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gamecube scores critical hit on chome! chome is leaking pdf file

e: oh they actually want money, time to investigate

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 23, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kalstrams posted:

gamecube scores critical hit on chome! chome is leaking pdf file

e: oh they actually want money, time to investigate
yea i cant find anything better both in price and length so getting this, as i doubt id read 400 page tdd book about python

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GameCube posted:

hope its good, i just linked it cuz the guy was a guest on another python podcast and seemed smart :shobon:
It's concise and written in Simple English, and primarily talks about practical matters, so works for me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GameCube posted:

hmm judging by the table of contents it's more about how to use specific python testing frameworks than about, like, the concepts of unit testing. my "Critical Hit" is more of an "Epic Fail"! lol!

nah, the concepts beyond "test every X" are needless circlejerkery for me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

suffix posted:

unit testing as a field seems to be chock full of pointless dogma

"avoid (thing that works perfectly well) at all costs! you should rewrite all your legacy code to follow the POOP principle where you contort all your code to avoid fnorbed methods"
isnt that everywhere though?

what, you app startup doesnt use neo-randian functionally imperative narrative driven agile testless development?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

so what is the reasoning behind "never write if" in code?

i understand trying to minimize the number of branches, so the code is easier to reason about, but never writing ifs ever? or never writing ifs speficifally, but switches and ?: being ok?

i did do a coding excercise like that once, and it was pretty fun as a challenge
https://www.se.rit.edu/~tabeec/RIT_441/Resources_files/How%20To%20Write%20Unmaintainable%20Code.pdf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whoa i was sitting on some poo poo rear end old anaconda apparently, its all cloud and poo poo in this version i just set up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

Question: does it bother anyone else if the function defs are touching?
i pad two empty lines before and after each function

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Power Ambient posted:

you should be padding functions with documenting comments
oh i do that too, i mean before the comment bloc

2 empty lines
general function comments and short working example
commented function
2 empty lines
general funct...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

project im on is meant to be self explanatory on a glance to people unfamiliar with it, so my fucntions ahve like at least a line of comments per line of code that i dont even try to cram into long single line statements, and each class/method is introduced with good half a dozen-dozen lines of generic how-tos and poo poo.

and then theres 20 page documentation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of which, anyone willing to share a word or two about the sphinx documentation thing for python?

• Locked thread