Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

tef posted:

a quine is a neat trick. from google this seems ok http://www.madore.org/~david/computers/quine.html

i also found this neat quine in python :3:

quine = 'quine = %r\r\nprint quine %% quine'
print quine % quine

what do you use to keep track of bookmarks you have like a million links worth reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

learn one thing until you actually know it well and aren't sulk

man self control is at an historic low imo

it is so hard for me to focus when you can look up anything, in any language, instantaneously

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

you can drink your own pisss

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

tef posted:

use wasabi

i just looked up what that is. holy poo poo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

hey havent really kept up on this thread. whats going on guys. im a really bad programmer that makes stacks. u can do it too.

you must have incredible work life balance

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

which is good b/c i run the household too so i've got another 4 hours of work ahead of me when i go home!

lol.

:smith:

i dont know i cannot find the time to do anything on my own due to a mix of work and life obligations so i'm impressed out how much you've picked up over time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yo im comin from plangs and i gotta learn java

what is a good book?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the javadocs. java is great and easy and you don't really need a book, just don't try to replicate what you did in those hosed up and lovely p-langs cause it was probably wrong.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE SERIOUS PROGRAMMING THREAD FOR lovely PROGRAMMERS NOT lovely PEOPLE

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

tef posted:

this is wrong, you probably want "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch. It's a cookbook of good ways to use Java

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i believe shaggar was referring to the official oracle/sun tutorial content, not literally the docs generated by the javadoc tool

thank you

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got my first largish internal java project running today and besides having to set up an insane mountain of poo poo in maven/svn/sql/eclipse, it's pretty great that it works now

once it's all set up it's pretty straightforward but man

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got a job cause i know perl and welp i gotta do java poo poo now

i had asked for help earlier in the thread, dehumanized myself and faced to java, and got a raise

deal with it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

so i'm trying to fix this javascript and i've never javascripted before

using the firefox debugger and it keeps breaking and offering no obvious reasoning as to why it broke. i have no breakpoints set so i assume it's an unhandled exception but i don't see any information about exceptions and i don't even know if javascript has exceptions

help

what is breaking in this sense? it stops running at a certain point? is there an ajax call or something that is asynchronous that fails?

the non-debugger browser console (not the web console) does not show an error either?

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 5, 2014

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the coursera princeton algos course starts today if you're like me and forget everything youve ever learned yearly

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im bad at debugging

something fails an = assignment to innerHTML in js, but there is no error, no browser warning, no debug message in the browser, it just never assigns to it and keeps going

is there any way i can catch this, i've set a break point on both the lines, and i have a watch set on innerHTML so i know it never gets assigned, and there are other parts of code which do successfully edit innerHTML

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Valeyard posted:

how exactly are you trying to assign innerHTML?

thing.innerHTML = parseThing(arg);

i break and step in on the return value for parseThing(), and see the <return> value in the debugger

the watch value for parseThing(arg) also shows the return value

this is in firefox, safari, and chrome, so i assume there's some magic to innerHTML

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thanks for the code, but i'd really like to get to the bottom of why this is breaking and maybe report a bug. i have no idea where or what i'd have to look for in this case, firefox module logging also doesn't show crap etc

it makes me wonder how people like raymond chen even got that good at debugging giant piles of crap

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

don't use javascript, get a job waiting tables if u have to

i make apps* for a living

*appetizers

quote:

does it work if you assign a trivial value to thing.innerHTML
does it work if you assign to properties of thing other than innerHTML
does it work if you assign to the innerHTML property of an element other than thing

bonus comedy points: i cannot edit the source or have it run locally, i am doing it live, and firefox's and chrome's debugger doesn't allow in place editing (chrome does have live JS editing, but that also does not really work)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

LARD LORD posted:

how are you hooking the element that you're injecting HTML into?

It's from some other js; i've dumped and diffed the objects after they were hooked when it works and doesnt work, and they are the same; is there a more subtle reason they wouldn't be?

diff objects meaning: taking the watch expression on the object at the time of the breakpoint where it works, expanding it, copying it into a text editor, and doing the same for the second breakpoint where it fails, then running diff against the two files

js dev!!!!!

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the bug i reported is a big deal lol gently caress all yall someone else do my work

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I gave up on the princeton algos course because I hated the exercises they provided, mainly due to tedium

imma resign myself to never doing anything interesting or cool and pop out a couple of kids, later

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

same but the first week

i thought the first week was a weed-out week that they forgot to take out of the online course, but nope

this is moreso for the "exercises" rather than the actual homework, which was challenging enough. they probably won't give a survey to ask why i dropped the class.

the exercises were mostly questions about what'd happen if you stopped an algorithm after a certain, usually tedious to calculate, number of steps. you could of course write your own implementation, hope it was accurate, and use that to solve the questions, but then you could not reuse the code for the homework.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

data structures and algorithms are the most important things they'll teach you in a comp sci program.

thanks for the update

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i have the algos book and a big rear end java book and i gotta read more of both, but seriously gently caress that class

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah thats a lovely way to teach it. if its a common algorithm like quicksort or mergesort they should give you the code and let you step through it to observe the changes it makes.

The point of the exercise is to examine what the algorithm is doing and if you tell people to also write the algorithm they will either learn nothing because they wrote a broken version or they'll just copy an existing implementation anyways.

i am just bitching since the class does reflect this model, i suck at many things at once, and have learned to never start learning multiple things at the same time, which in this case is both java and algorithms.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I really like Steven Skienna's book for algos and data structures

everyone recommended the MIT one, which is surprisingly easy to read, but is gigantic, so i got that one

i also just found that ocw site and will probably make an attempt at that instead of the coursera/princeton one

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

ps if you're a cs major and not making heavy use of library genesis to at least preview texts, you done hosed up

or you're super rich in which case bully for you

im not im a script janitor and i purchase books legitimately when i need them

the other links are cool and ill check them soon, i am envious of that visualization guy, where'd he get started, how did he learn this etc

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

same

it's a hard course on algorithms so trying to learn java at the same time was doomed for me. I'll try again next time, till then I'll try to get more familiar with java at my own pace and keep doing the machine learning and hardware software interface.

comparatively those two other courses are being hella easy, I tried hsi before and C was so baffling to me. now I'm breezing it.

it's fun to notice that I'm getting better at programming trivial poo poo. :toot:

the machine learning class was also really neat and v applicable when you have any sort of good linear algebra library available

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i check this thread to see if there are any other books to be recommended

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

coffeetable posted:

im readin this atm

its excellent but also v slow going because i am a terrible mathematician as well as a terrible programmer. two years out of school and ive forgotten a shameful amount

the only mooc really worth a drat was the machine learning one on coursera, i highly recommend it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

nah, lets back up a bit.

what books or resources did you use to understand how eclipse and all this stuff is working? i'm constantly impressed by your knowledge in regards to java building and development

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

idk id just always rather read pseudocode than maths because my background is stronger in codethings than mathsthings

yeah, i browsed some math-y books on coworkers desks and there's the assumption that you know what all these symbols mean or imply already without even defining other stuff or what it's supposed to do

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mongo is good if you never EVER want to formalize your mongo data into normalized, relational data and just want a giant document hash where its ok if a write doesnt make it

this is not how people use it in my experience though, they want normalized, relational data where the data is there and failure is apparent

gently caress mongo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

anyone done the MIT open courseware CS courses? i'm thinking of just starting at the first course and working my way through since i've never had a lot a lot of formal CS education and its starting to show as i tackle bigger projects.

the stanford moocs are very good for this so far, no word on using mit's stuff

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

i am looking at exercism, am i an idiot?

oh it looks cool but is totally predicated on there being people who want to comment on your stuff and them always being around

same with moocs i guess but a wider net of people who have done it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im never gonna get a programming job i guess

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

like i'm gonna take those home for the weekend and see if i can figure out an answer without searching google or anything from my present frame of knowledge, but i definitely cannot solve either in a reasonably quick amount of time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

there are lots of programming jobs you can get without having to cram this poo poo and they pay almost as well

i think all the jobs are this and they just put that in front to deter people

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 31, 2014

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ill report back on monday with a CoC level post about how i'd solve the first one, second one would take about the same amount of time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i am growing to hate learning java-on-the-job but mainly because so much crap is impossible to figure out with a book when working from someone's production code

then you gotta bother someone whose time is probably better spent not talking to you about honest-to-g-d baby level things you dont understand like dependency injection or spring, which totally are not in that java book you bought so you wouldnt have to ask a million questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

git sucks because they had all these verbs from subversion they could've used but chose not to because they're loving linux programmers and it has to be different and clever

yes i work at a place which just switched from svn to git why do you ask

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread