Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Videotendo posted:

I dunno if has been done or not, but can anyone give me some general tips on playing Harley? She is my favorite to play but I can't seem to get the hang of her in goon fights, despite being told she can rip it up.

I actually want to do effortposts for the characters I play (Black Adam, Harley, Doomsday, Wonder Woman) eventually.

She's most dangerous right at the range where her f2 overhead connects, because you can mix up between f2 x Tantrum Stance, b2,2 x Tantrum Stance, and her command grab (Play Doctor). Be careful not to overcommit to any Tantrum Stance followups unless you see it hit because they're all really unsafe except for the rolls.

Midscreen your options are grounded gunshots (good but whiff on crouchers), cupcake bomb (long startup but it's an overhead for said crouchers), Tantrum Stance (high risk/high reward but it's kind of scrubby and will get you nailed if you do it too much), air gunshots (good in certain situations), ji2 (don't jump too much), or b3/f3 which are incredibly good on her (gigantic range, big damage followups, +3 and +2 on block respectively). Watch out with her f3 overhead because it's easy to jump straight over them and eat a punish if you space it poorly.

Full screen she's pretty awful and you need to get in. Her bf3 command run canceled into tantrum stance is extremely good against most characters' zoning tools but, again, you can get punished incredibly hard if you do it too much.

Her general B&B is whatever string (1,1 or 1,2 or f2 or b2,2) into Tantrum Stance -> the 1 followup, b3, ji2, ji2, 1,2 x command grab. Meter burned command grab is really, really strong there because it adds 8% unscaled damage at the end. Once you restand them at the end, if you're midscreen you basically go straight back to the midscreen neutral game (it puts them in perfect range for b3/f3 or Tantrum Stance). If you're in the corner you're right up in their face at +0 so the best option is probably d1 x whatever special (usually Tantrum Stance) until they start blocking, then mix them up with high/low/throw.

Her skeeziest gimmick is probably 3,3 x command grab. The only way they can escape that is to pushblock the 3,3 or to do an invincible or armored reversal before the grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

-db2 fully charged is unblockable. It does misfire sometimes, though.

That misfire is the craziest whiff animation I've ever seen, too. She stands there for like five seconds.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
Honestly, anybody who claims it's "unbalanced and unplayable" and cites Solomon Grundy as an example is probably not very good at fighting games. Injustice has its issues just like every other fighter but it sounds like he's just unwilling or unable to learn how to fight against command grabs and/or super armor.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

polish sausage posted:

There are some pretty cool corner combos into shield stance like 33, 23~4, 1b11x4, f12~bf3 that gives good, if not consistent damage for her. I was able to do d1~lasso spin, 23~4 into 1b11 shenanigans to get in the mid 30%. Its a little rough because now she's in shield stance, but it's not all bad as she can do some ok 50/50 type stuff in the corner with shield, and the opponent is going to have to deal with defending against a totally different set of normals. Hell, if you really need to get back into lasso stance you can throw them, as it switches her back automatically. I agree that shield stance is pretty crap, but it looks like it can have its uses in the corner game.

It's actually pretty monstrous in the corner. MB Shield Bash is +9 on block and if you substitute a d3 for the f12 x bf3 in her corner bnb you can start doing some really potent high/low mixups between b2 and fuzzy guarding them with instant nj2, which can give you 52% meterless or 50% meterless if you want a hard knockdown instead.

E: You also take like 70% less chip which is really nice in some situations.

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2013

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

Is this a game I'm gonna seed a fight stick to do these insane combos that I see doing, I checked guides on shoryuken but they're all confusing and use a lot of complicated terms. Also, any tips for someone who'd like to find a character to main with? What kind of characters are wonder woman/flash/joker? (Ones I've found I like playing so far)

The game is really pad friendly. I use a stick out of habit, but virtually everything is doable on pad and there are some top players who use them without problems.

Wonder Woman and Flash are both aggressive characters. I don't know very much about Flash, but with Wonder Woman you mostly want to use her mobility and strong normals to force them to the corner where you eat them alive.

Joker is weird and gimmicky. He's mediocre most of the time but if you get an opportunity to set up a series of unblockables with his chattering teeth he can win a round in seconds. His main other advantage are his insanely huge crowbar normals.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

Catwoman is clearly S+.

Really though, I wonder why they say Doomsday is so good? I find him very, very easy to beat.

You probably haven't played a good Doomsday, then. If they know how to apply offensive pressure and don't just constantly try to unblockable you like an idiot he's probably the most overwhelming rushdown character in the game.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
Wow, they really did add like a full 30 frames of additional recovery to Wonder Woman's b3. It's a pretty noticeable damage nerf (39% to 35% on her B&B) which seems really arbitrary as I can't think of too many people who were complaining to Netherrealm about WW's combos or anything.

vvv Phew

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 21, 2013

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
^ Nope. It's a fun hobby and you can win decent beer money from local tournaments and money matches but even the absolute best full-time players in the country barely scrape by, especially compared to players in games like Starcraft or League of Legends.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My first thoughts are that Ares seems lower than I would have expected and Wonder Woman being so far on the "well rounded" side seems wrong to me, too.

She really is extremely well-rounded though. Like, her zoning from further than half/three-quarters screen isn't good/existent but other than that she doesn't have holes in her gameplan at all.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Nique posted:

I keep seeing WW regarded highly but I have barely (if ever) seen her at a tournament. What gives?

People just don't like her design very much, and she's a bit trickier than a lot of the other top tiers. I played her in UFGT and came close to getting out of my pool, though. :shobon:

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
^ Slide is the stupidest move in the game and she converts everything into high damage resets that are difficult to block on reaction.

Jmcrofts posted:

Stupidly damaging combos (seriously), good damage off lows, and very very safe.

To follow this up, she has the best corner pressure in the game, probably the best non-teleport mobility, and excellent reversals/anti-airs in B2 and lasso spin. She also takes negligible chip in shield stance.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Nique posted:

In sword & shield stance or lasso?

Generally lasso. Between throw, 33, B2, B11, and F3 you can completely overwhelm them (except for B2 those strings are all plus on block). Shield also has its uses with how insane meter burned shield charge is, as well as huge damage off F3 and her B2 low.

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 31, 2013

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
http://bit.ly/17buvIQ

That's what my tier list would look like right now.

I don't think there's a D tier in this game but Bane definitely feels mediocre compared to the rest of the cast. My only real experience with him has been playing jmcrofts a few times but it feels like he doesn't get nearly enough when he gets in. If he could spend meter to give teeth to his mixups it might make the trouble of getting in and scoring a knockdown worth it.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

When someone like Superman or Wonder Woman can get 50% for 1-2 meters

Wonder Woman gets 50% meterless. :unsmigghh:

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

sponsz posted:

On another note, what do the Batgirl players here do against a Aquaman that's traited up while in your bolas? Right now I just throw them, but theres got to be something better, right?

Pretty sure you could just sweep him. It should run the trait out and you're still point blank for a mixup.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
They need to just stop with the loving balance patches for a while and let the game settle. Just making teleport hit high would have been a huge nerf already without making it minus a million on block, too.

The Black Adam change is pretty big in certain matchups. Not all characters can get big damage off a d1, especially without burning meter, but the ones that can (like Wonder Woman!) are going to be pretty painful counterpicks for a character that previously didn't have any.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
It sounds like his trait is basically a Stand, in which case hello new main. :getin:

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, well I wasn't completely entertained by Injustice at Evo, but I wasn't disappointed by it either. I'm also not sure where I stand on Superman needing nerfs or if the community just needs to adapt debate either, but it would have been nice to see Chris G's Arrow take it.

It's just clear as crystal from the SA Evo thread that this game isn't going to be nabbing any new fans from the FGC anytime soon.

People were tuning in already looking for reasons to hate the game because it's NRS.

The problem with Superman isn't that he's that much better than the rest of the cast--he's probably the best character, but the real issue is that he's also so much easier to play than comparable characters. There's no reason to pick a character like Batman or Wonder Woman when literally five minutes in training mode will let you learn a character with even-to-favorable matchups across the board.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

VarrosAnon posted:

Sure, this game needs more time to develop, but all the commentators could say during the pools is how the guys who play both this and MK really like this game (Aris, Perfect Legend) and want to keep it going.

It's actually a really fun, dynamic game competitively and has a lot less bullshit than plenty of other, more established games that get a pass due to their developers. Unless it falls apart in a massive way it'll be back at Evo next year.

e: Calling it now that Superman won't be nearly as big of an issue in a couple of months and everyone will be bitching about Batman instead.

rocket USA fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not sure they're going to do more than 2 characters: MM (Hero) and Red Hood (Villain). I mean the 3rd character would be Zatanna (judging by popularity), but then they need another villain and who would that be?

Larfleeze. :getin:

• Locked thread