Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Check out his third manga, Destroy and Revolution. It's different enough from the others to be worth reading but the guy definitely knows what theme he wants to write about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Knights of Sidonia was always good, but ever since Tsumugi showed up it's been fantastic. I wish it had a more regular release schedule so we could justify having a thread for it.

Izana and Tsumugi are the greatest. And I love how Tanikaze is stuffing his face in nearly every noncombat scene he appears in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Is there actually going to be an anime? I thought it only showed up in fake upcoming season pictures, like Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

cooldude2.0 posted:

I really like the romcom side of Sidonia,
Me too, the juxtaposition of standard romcom stuff with photosynthesizing intersexed characters, cyborg limbs, clones, talking bears, and a giant tentacled alien hybrid with the mind of teenage girl is absolutely hilarious.

At this point I barely even care about the original storyline. I want Nihei to just go ahead and do a transhuman slice of life series.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Do people read Junji Ito's Uzumaki because they think it's scary or because they think it's hilarious? I started reading it for for the first time last night and all I could think was "this is silly." Is that kind of reaction expected?

Like I said, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (this forum has so few threads!) and I checked and Uzumaki was apparently serialized in some seinen mag so it kinda counts I guesss. It's just hard to gauge what tone it's going for and what kind of reaction I'm supposed to have.
I'd certainly characterize most of Ito's work as gross, unsettling, and sometimes hilarious rather than scary.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Count yourself lucky if the translator knows both Japanese and English.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Being Shouya is suffering. :smith:

His mom owns though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yes, things change later.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Speaking of Kingdom, based on the most recent chapters I'm lead to believe that ancient China worked a lot like the aliens from Invader Zim.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask, but I'm interested in starting to watch the Ghost in the Shell series but I have no idea where to start off. Any recommendations?
Basically there are two continuities, there's the movie continuity which is just:

Ghost in the Shell
GitS 2: Innocence

And the TV series continuity, which is:

GitS: Stand Alone Complex (26 episode series)
GitS: SAC: 2nd GiG (26 episode series)
Solid State Society (TV movie)

I'd watch the movies first, then the TV stuff. Be warned that Innocence is generally considered the worst of it all, so don't let that put you off the TV series. It is very pretty though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 1, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Two more chapters of Immortal Hounds (that series where everyone is immortal and losing your immortality is a communicable disease). The action sequences are pretty funny because nobody involved cares about dying: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Immortal-Hounds/Vol-001-Ch-004--Man--I-Really-Hate-Him?id=184790

I guess the vectors come from our world or something since the police don't seem to know what the word "dentist" means. That certainly explains why they want immortality, but not why they need to get rid of 3 immortals first.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Gigantomakhia 4 is out: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gigantomakhia/Vol-001-Ch-004-Read-Online

Miura all will be forgiven if this ends with the colossus being suplexed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What traces of moral ambiguity Akame ga Kill began with have long since vacated the premises. The new group of antagonists are literally all rapists, cannibals, or pedophiles.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 20, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Kotonoba Drive is beautiful. I need to go read YKK.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Three new chapters of Knights of Sidonia :toot: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Sidonia-No-Kishi/Vol-011-Ch-050--Remnants-of-the-Pacifists

Finally we learn the secret behind bearmom.

EDIT: It's been so long I couldn't find the manga thread, oops.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You're already debt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

Does every chapter have coffee in it? :3::coffee:
It's mostly about spirits and coffee. :ghost::coffee:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 26, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The extra part at the end of 5 about visiting her old college manga club is pretty great.

Also, I never realized she also did that series about VR MMO counseling (with lots of fight scenes.)

EDIT: The last few chapters of Mozuya are all fantastic. Bantarou and his grandmother own. Master M is hilarious.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 14, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
"Shhhh, be quiet when I'm talking." God :drat:.

Too bad the anime probably isn't going to make it this far unless it gets a second season.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 7, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
You forgot to mention it's by the Blade of the Immortal guy!

Also this was a good joke:

"That old guy is a great existence that is only allowed to be called by the three holy letters!"
"Like 'K-on'?"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What do you mean? ARM has been getting translated fairly steadily for months now.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 30, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's like a Veritas-level ending. I would have assumed it was canceled but why would it be canceled in the middle of getting an anime?

Hopefully we're just going to get Tokyo Ghoul: New Waves.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's a lot of setup with no payoff yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's a fourth one now, Baki Dou.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Keyman is pretty good. Dr Necro drags it down a bit but from what I remember the fanservice is mostly relegated to title and extra pages instead of the story itself. And other than that the art is great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
At this point I'm just reading to find out whether they're in a computer, an alternate universe, the afterlife, or whatever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Even before this chapter Trail of Blood was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. It's pretty interesting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
http://bato.to/reader#2ad64aa4743a8356_31

I have this weird urge to fill a hidden room with picture of Honoka

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hibiki is a like a shounen where people get befriended because her literature power level is incredibly high.

I don't even know what to think about last chapter. I like the subversion of the "creepy room full of photos" cliche.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 28, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru, Holyland, Tough, that one where the kid murders his parents and learns karate in juvie whose name I can't remember.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Surprisingly, Immortal Hounds got bad after it threw all the fun characters in cryogenic jail.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Nice touch: the author carefully conceals Marcille's hairstyle until the shapeshifters appear.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Ancient Magus Bride 42

I haven't watched the prequel OVAs so I dunno if this is retreading some of that ground, but oof :(
It's not, the OVA takes place after she lost her family.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hibiki started updating again and it immediately got amazing.

Forget Killing Bites, Hibiki is the real human honey badger.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Galvanik posted:

Deciding the comic wasn't for me I stopped reading and forgot about it. Is this the same thing you all are talking about now? It got more violent than that?
Yes. Not really.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad Dorogedoro got incredibly good again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's pretty much one continuous story though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I always assumed TG's popularity came from the edgy cannibalism psycho violence and the art looking kind of neat, because the writing is mediocre, there are way too many characters, and the action is confusing and hard to follow.

Insurrectionist posted:

Also Touka didn't get to do jack poo poo the whole loving manga after being introduced as badass and that was really hosed up, imo, and I won't even forgive it if it turns out she owns in :RE or whatever
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu-re/125---X?id=366707

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 12, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
IIRC an ultra-rich guy wanted to be immortal so he developed memory copying tech and genetically engineered super smart clones, I'm hazy on this part but I think a clone or clones woke up and escaped with the technology and decided to improve the world through murder.

The akumetsu masks were miniaturized versions of the mind transfer machine that would copy and upload the memories of suiciding clones the moment before they died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm glad Chise is kind of a badass now.