Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Farlyn is cool and good and very obviously a monster

My bet is either some weird half-dragon hybrid due to using dragons body as base for resurrection, or some high-level undead due to using the forbidden ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Someone described Golden Kamui to me as;

"What if Quentin Tarantino was Japanese and wrote manga instead of directing movies and also had fetish for weird food instead of women feet".

It checks out surprisingly well. Also owns.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
As someone who never read Tokyo Ghoul and whose whole impression of it comes from the discussion here, it sound incredibly loving edgy and stupid.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shield Hero is pretty much power fantasy for incels. All attractive women are manipulative, lying bitches, all attractive men are callous and cruel chads and the only females you can trust are your pure, underage, fanatically loyal slaves. Its truly something "special".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
EDIT: Ooops, I misread "Seinen" as "Shonen", disregard :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 21, 2018

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So....Teppu?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Double posting because the author of Dorohedoro has a new sci-fi series. https://mangadex.org/title/31688

Content: Gore :black101:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sindai posted:

Looking at the list I really hope it goes all the way since I really want to see how Nostradamus and Simo Hayha fight.

Yeah, I am really interested what will the story do with Nostradamus, Tesla, Rasputin and Simo Hayha, because their legends don't really fit the "man against god, one on one, single weapon, final destination" format. The mangaka did a pretty good job with Adam though, which makes me even more curious.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, considering that Hild specifically chose Jack to fight against Hercules and that Hercules is like, super likeable while Jack looks like first-grade Jackass, I'm betting that this will be a fight where audience and readers end up cheering for Hercules, but Hercules loses in an ugly way, to show that those fighting for humanity are not particularly nice either.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To you, my immortal is a rollercoaster ride that regularly gets super weird. I know a bunch of people think some parts of it are pretty weak, but I personally loved every strange direction it decided to veer into.

Last chapter spoiler:
Also its apparently a prequel to Silent Voice now. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
New chapter of To Your Eternity: Fushi is going to, accidentally and only with best intentions in mind, completely gently caress up everything again, isn't he? :ohdear:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Been reading something completely outside of my regular interests. A manga about a girl with Aspergers living together with her favorite manga author. It's very tastefully done and with respect to the subject matter and I recommend it (At least, it didn't set off any big red flags for me, an average person).

https://mangadex.org/title/38175/asuperu-kanojo

This is extremely sweet and good and wholesome and I devoured all available chapters in one sitting. My only complaint is the extra 60+ Chinese chapters sitting there and taunting me after I finished reading the English ones... :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Raiden is pretty boring, so I would be completely OK with Shiva winng this one.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, in hindsight its kinda amazing how much of a fluke the (good part of) Gantz was. Basically everything else I have seen from that author has been pure trash.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Grouchio posted:

And Kerry bangs his secretary early on. :v:

Its fiiiine, his wife is not only OK with it, she actively supports it. Anything to relieve him from his incredible man-pain. :rolleyes:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nice to have an official confirmation that Heracles is a loving rat. Guess the salvation of humanity isn't really worth it if it would cost you a spot on Olympus, huh?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Holy poo poo, the way Shuumatsu no Valkyre does pre-battle hype is something else. :eyepop:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, from those two pictures, it kinda resembles Berserk. And that's pretty high praise.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
What I am really curious about is how some of the mankind champions will fight, like Rasputin, Nostradamus or Tesla. They will absolutely have some bullshit abilities invented whole cloth and it will be glorious. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I agree. There is absolutely gigantic amount of seinen trash that's basically just tits and gore. Also most of isekai are seinen, IIRC? (yes, I know I basically said the same thing twice :v:)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wanna bet that if (or rather, when) Zeus will end up in another fight, there will be a point where he sighs, says that the time to remove his limiter has finally come and then pretty-boyifies himself?

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 6, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That is their ultimate, unbeatable technique.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I'm reading Fable, based solely on reactions in this thread, I'm around chapter 84 and Youko is basically the best character and it isn't even close. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Good to know, thanks. I actually was waiting on that.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 29, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jose posted:

There is a new series with art by the terra for mars artist. Written by someone else but very creepy monster designs

https://manga4life.com/read-online/Gigantis-chapter-1.html

So basically, what if a slightly weaker Thing landed somewhere that's not Antarctica and didn't bother with the whole mimicry stuff.

I kinda dig it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
What. :staredog:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Bah, they really should kept his handsome mustache from RL. :colbert:

Also the match-up makes sense. Mankind's Mad Scientist Tesla vs. Divine Mad Scientist Belzebub.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

The problem with the 13v13 format in the most recent batch of stories to use it is that in order to get all the fights out the way as they will only happen in the brackets, someone has to lose to keep the score even. RIP Tesla, he looks pretty cool but he cannot be allowed to win because that would just give humanity a hat trick and force the writers to have the gods start to reverse sweep to get us to the final 13th round.

I could easily see mankind gaining a comfortable lead, only for gods doing a massive reverse sweep, with the last match being at the end of a huge losing streak for humanity. It would be a way to drum up drama, despair and hype for the final fight.

That being said, Beelzebub had a solid presence in the story for a while now, is a pretty big enigma and seems to have a lot going on in the background, while this is the first time we see Tesla and he has nothing outside of this fight, so if we go purely by plot significance, it doesn't look that good for our Mad Scientist.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The gag with Tesla explaining his secret super attack in excruciating detail to his opponent, because he doesn't believe in withholding information about SCIENCE, made me chuckle.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I agree, but basic doesn't mean bad. :shrug:

It does a great job in filling the Kengan Asura shaped hole in my heart, while it's sequel unfortunately failed.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I thought the manga was set in medieval/renaissance Italy, just with ~secret magic powers~, for far too long until I saw that chap. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 19, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Blood on the Tracks: Checked it out due to this thread. That wasn't very light or very pleasant read. Well, gently caress. :smith:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 23, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

dipwood posted:

I get the impression from manga that mental health is basically a joke in Japan.

The scenes from the juvenile detention facility, where attempts at the rehabilitation of 14-year old, clearly mentally disturbed boy who murdered his cousins seemed to consist solely of "kneel here for several hours and think hard about the horrible things you have done" were particularly egerious.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 23, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

If you want a serious psychological horror with almost no violence, gore or supernatural, I recommend Chi no Wadachi/Blood on the Tracks. It's finished and ran from 2017 to 2023, so I think it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

There's a new chapter of Mieruko-chan
The father + hell horse combo is still really strong in this meta. But I get the impression the horses days are numbered

Michiru's guardian spirit(?) going from head octopus to cool and/or cursed fashion accessories is extremely powerful development.