Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's an excellent write-up. I'd be curious to hear from people who don't own a Wii U and aren't interested in one, and why. And whether they'd ever be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Space Racist posted:

I think this is mostly spot on. Everyone knows they have to do some sort of marketing reboot, but I think the reason we haven't seen it yet is they're not comfortable making such a push when there isn't enough software to back it up. Why drive consumers to your system when there's a months-long drought of software?
Because Nintendo did it with the original Wii and they sold a shitload of them. It's not like the Wii had a gargantuan library to begin with either. You worry about getting the system in people's homes first. If you wait to advertise until you have a major holiday game release, people might have already decided to invest their money in a different console. Or they'll have spent long enough watching the system from the sideline to convince themselves they don't need it.

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Citing "incompetence" here is just stupid.
How is it not incompetence when you have to pull a significant amount of staff off of other game projects in order to finish Nintendo Land by launch, which causes a domino chain of delaying everything else down the pipeline, such as delaying Pikmin 3 from November all the way to August? And Nintendo Land is not exactly a Rembrandt.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 16, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo Directs don't speak to anyone other than Nintendo fans. There are probably people in this thread that don't even know what those are (even Nintendo fans). I think the last Direct had only 200,000 uniques on Youtube, and the UStream hits maybe 6 figures if it's lucky but the last Direct I watched live had like 50,000.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You are talking as if every game publication on the planet doesn't watch them to report what comes out of them.
Well clearly not everyone reads game publications considering people don't know what the Wii U is.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And these are people who don't watch Nintendo Directs, and they don't go to IGN or Gamespot either, because who the gently caress goes to IGN or Gamespot anymore other than complete sychophants who live in comments sections and believe that 'console wars' are a real battle to be won. And they don't read magazines because who reads print anything now. The most they might hear about video games is from their friends, family, and maybe the cashier at the Gamestop, where the Wii U section is pushed all the way back towards the back door next to used PS2 discs at 75% off and lovely used third-party peripherals for the Game.com or whatever.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

I go for the latest gaming news when I don't have time to read through here. poo poo, look at the WiiU thread, I saw like a hundred posts pop up overnight and I thought some big news was unveiled. Nope some poo poo about LPs.
Yeah but what about people who buy video games but don't post on an internet forum? You have to be able to get news out to people who don't run in these very insular circles. And even inside those circles, there's sub-circles. Like, people who don't own a Wii U don't read the Wii U thread. There's a poster on the first page of this thread that said "Wait a minute, it's out already?" They don't know because they wouldn't ever check. You have to put it in front of them and force them to see it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bland posted:

Should they be announcing new games with a megaphone in Times Square or something? I get that they need to step up their marketing but there's little wrong with using Nintendo Directs to tell people about games that they're making.
Just because people don't run in these circles doesn't mean they can't be reached. How many people have seen a Wii U ad on TV, and when was the last time they've seen one, and approximately how confusing was it? How about trailers before movies? How about paying Google to lease out the front page of Youtube to you so you can stream your Direct, live, TO EVERYONE ON YOUTUBE. I mean... they're not doing these things right now. I had to tell my brother what the Wii U was, even though he's a tech guy, and very internet savvy.

You cannot expect people to come to you, you have to go to them. Nintendo right now is expecting people to come to them, and not putting in the work. One of their big marketing pushes this year was sending a notification to original Wii owners in their message bin. I mean, what? Seriously? Is there a more passive-aggressive way to advertise your system? Why don't you have people poke around the corner in dark alleyways and go "Psst!" while you're at it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wait a minute so Nintendo Direct doesn't get watched by the average gamer so they are useless but what, E3 is watched by the average gamer?

And don't say that because it's on Spike loving TV that makes a difference. Spike TV is still going to discuss whatever Nintendo reveals in their Directs and private conferences during E3. Games on the floor will still be discussed.
I don't actually know what Spike TV is doing this year, but last year's coverage was significantly scaled back and some keynotes were not shown on TV like they used to be. Their coverage before the show floor opens is probably going to be limited to just the keynotes and the post-keynote reactions, and nothing else.

And I'm talking about their marketing in general. They're literally, right at this very second, doing nothing to promote. I don't care if the system has a small library, they should be promoting it and they aren't.

fivegears4reverse posted:

They are essentially expecting gaming journalists to do the marketing footwork for them (a fair course of action considering their own marketing department doesn't seem to know what the gently caress they are doing). Most people don't pay attention to gaming journalism in general, even among gamers, and the people of that profession are generally considered untrustworthy when it comes to fair and detailed impressions of the things they are being paid to cover. The solution again isn't to wait for people to come to them, it's for Nintendo to get out there and shove the drat thing into people's faces and educate them about the system.
Plus, do you WANT gaming journalists to do the majority of the marketing footwork for you? They're going to be printing headlines like "NINTENDO ADMITS DEFEAT", "NINTENDO: TOO LITTLE TOO LATE", etc. These aren't regular journalists, they can't do their job objectively.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chic Trombone posted:

I remember reading something about Nintendo wanting to try a "re-launch" marketing blitz or whatever, damned if I can find the article now though.
Hopefully its better than this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSt9n_UPa8

(I don't think this actually aired on TV)

e: They keep making the mistake of having someone say "Look at the new Wii U" and then showing only the tablet, creating the perception that the Wii U is specifically a tablet rather than a game console.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jefferoo posted:

I don't know, I think most of it comes from the notion of all the Let's Plays that are the entirety of the game, front to back, that people are watching and giving the LP'er ad revenue instead of Nintendo for actually playing the game. That's kinda messed up, and Nintendo should at least get a cut of that.
I don't really want to poo poo this thread up with this like the other thread, but as long as a LP is providing commentary on the game it is allowed to use copyrighted material without permission as it is considered a derivative creative work under fair use law and what is being monetized is the creative work itself and not the copyrighted content. It cannot be the full copyrighted work, however, so not all LPs qualify, but anything like Continue Show is legit 100% on the up and up.

The ad revenue generated by these videos is like a couple bucks at most, and Nintendo isn't by the law protecting their copyright here, so there's something else going on. I slept on it and I don't think they intended to be copyright trolls. In the past they've said that they weren't against people monetizing their videos of Nintendo content, but they got so many email requests that they had to just start categorically declining all requests by default.

I think the people who were saying that Nintendo might be bringing game streaming to Wii U could be right, and they are just putting their game content into the Content ID scraper because they intend on letting people record gameplay directly to Youtube, like the PS4 is doing. I don't know if the Wii U is actually capable of it; they did dedicate half a gig of RAM to the OS so I guess it's possible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean it's not an amazing CPU that the Wii U has but it is a multi-core CPU, and I don't think any of the CPUs of this next generation are super great compared to everything else under the hood (and the 'everything else under the hood' in the PS4/Next Xbox blow the Wii U away, basically). So I don't want to just rule it out and say the Wii U can't encode video.

I know that Nintendo really digs some of those NSMB speedruns and skill videos, they have posted a couple in the past, so it could be something they want. I know you can share screen captures on Miiverse, and Miiverse is rolling out to PC/mobile now. Maybe there will be something in the summer firmware update.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Joink posted:

So what's the next box and ps4 going to do differently that this time next year they arent going to be in the same position as the wii u right now?
X86 archetecture, for starters. All the middleware engines already supported. And most third party developers using those engines. All Wii U is going to end up supporting is Unity, which means the majority of its library is going to be either games funded by Kickstarter or iOS ports. In fact, Nintendo was at GDC trying to pitch easy conversion tools for iOS developers to get their games on the U.

e: I should say that it does support UE3, so it will get some of the games that don't use the next iteration, which you figure is a number that's going to shrink more and more.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 17, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

If the Wii U picks up in sales, EA will make Wii U games, no matter how crappy Nintendo's technology is.
You need games to pick up in sales. It's not like Nintendo is making 20 games for the Wii U a year. Slated between now and January are the following: Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101, and Wind Waker HD. Everyone expects the new Mario title and Mario Kart to reach stores this holiday season, but Nintendo also promised a launch window that included Pikmin and Wonderful 101, and those games only missed their target by about... oh... eight to nine months.

I mean everyone right now assumes that Wii U will be just like the 3DS. But Wii U can't keep up with the 3DS in first party support, because the 3DS is a handheld that allows for smaller budgets and smaller teams and smaller ambitions, and Nintendo has already admitted that they have no idea how to staff or budget an HD production for U.

The original Wii had 16 first party titles released in its first year. Wii U at this moment has a total of 4. There are only 3 upcoming titles with a confirmed day and date 2013 release. A lot of TBAs. The 3DS, between retail and eShop, has over 30 first party titles, with 6 more coming in the second half of this year. There's just no way Wii U can keep up, unless they start porting 3DS titles to the U, like was rumored with Kid Icarus.

Fewer games is fewer sales, fewer sales is a continuation of third party apathy.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Midee posted:

Could it, though? I mean what is the consensus with the Wii U hardware compared to that of other consoles? Last I checked it was: GPU and RAM size good, RAM speed eh, CPU not good.
The PS4 has 4 times the amount of ram and it's GDDR5 as well. Also the Wii U was dedicating only 1 GB to games, so the PS4 could be dedicating 6-7x as much.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The 3DS has 2 competitors, one of which is the big Apple. There's a reason Nintendo takes pot shots at them and won't release anything on the iOS. There's thousands of cheap entertainment ready to be bought over the air. Bored with one game? Buy the next one for just $0.99 without having to go to the store. There's an entire generation of kids who don't know what a game boy was but do know the iPhone has Angry Birds on it. The 3DS pulling itself up is honestly a miracle.
I think the 3DS survived through its awful start by having its price cut, and I think developers stayed on board simply because the iOS market is pretty treacherous to people with bigger goals than timer-based games where you IAP the gently caress out of people. Anything over 2 bucks in the app store is considered too much money to spend by the average iphone owner, so I think for some publishers it was 3DS or Nothing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LPs can be fair use in which case explicit permission is not required to use copyrighted content. I say "can be" because there are some basic ground rules, and not all LPs qualify. Also, Youtube generally asks specifically for explicit permission to cover their rear end (though it's not required with certain guidelines). There are developers that want people to make money for monetizing their game content, such as Valve, Blizzard, Doublefine, Relogic. Klei, etc. These are all PC devs, though. And PC has a long history of speed runs and .dem recordings, going wayyyyyy back.

Nintendo clearly feels differently, and I don't really know how they police Nico Douga but maybe it's similar over there. Microsoft is also against monetization, which they put clearly and plainly in their FAQ (although it only applies to Microsoft Games Studio titles). Sony is the only one who hasn't clarified their position yet. If I had to guess, it will be like PC where it comes down to what the individual developer is okay with. I think there's a rumor that developers will be able to block some content from being recorded, so they have control over it, and people won't be able to just record a full length game.

I still think what they're doing is the precursor to something else, but we may not hear about it until E3. If they want everyone to go to their channel, good luck. I think their channel has a fourth of the subscribers of game grumps. So a nintendo direct gets as much traffic as two dudes talking about weiners while they play sonic 06.

e: editted to remove redundant poo poo I've said a billion times.

quote:

No, no they can't. Fair use is absurdly restrictive in what it allows you to do -- certainly not an one hour long video of nothing but direct footage from a commercial game, which is what most video LPs are. Video LPs fall under fan works which have always been a gray area, much like fan art, fan music, fan games, etc, etc. Some companies don't mind it at all, especially Nintendo. It's when you try to monetize that stuff that the lawyers start getting all sweaty.
I editted it out because people are now getting on my case for restating things over and over, but longplays are against Youtubes TOS in the first place and shouldn't even be on there. What I'm referring to is something like Continue Show which edits their footage down to a few minutes per game and provides commentary and a simple grading system, which is no different than something like Ebert & Roeper. Someone breaking up a full game into 30 15-minute videos is not what I'm referring to. I dunno why someone would watch a full play through like that anyway, shrug.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 19, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Both Sony and Microsoft did spectacularly bad at last E3 and, surprisingly enough, that attitude seems to have carried on throughout the year as Sony had no idea what to do with its Vita console and Microsoft focused on making the "Xbox experience" even worse for its users and developers, losing a lot of good will. If the two companies play their cards right, they will certainly bury the U, which is on life support at the moment -- if they don't, however, they may give enough time for Nintendo to come up with a miracle. Who knows? We can be here all day pointing out the issues with the U, but pre-E3 and even pre-holiday season nobody knows for sure what will happen to it.
I wonder how having pre-E3 events to reveal their console will impact their E3 presentations, for good and bad. I only barely remember the 2005 E3, but most of what was shown was not even legit footage of games.

Ubisoft is the only one in Nintendos corner this year, so their keynote may be the only time you hear about Wii U outside of the Nintendo Direct that week. Nintendos announcements are going to have to be strong enough to pierce through the mountain of everyone else's announcements and reveals.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 19, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Its Ubisoft, you know they're going to have a pile of flawed but endearing PS4/Xbox launch titles to hock during their conference. No matter what Nintendo would do they'd get gently caress all E3 traction this year.
I thought Ubisoft had the least awful presentation last year. Not that it was particularly GOOD -- it had a Youtube celebrity pretending to have fake arguments with the host, and Flo Rida performed for pretty much no reason at all. But they were the only keynote last year that spoke heavily of Wii U, devoting a large block of time to talking Rayman Legends and then showing off ZombiU gameplay for the first time.

They're in Europe and they seem kind of divorced from all the petty behind the scenes fighting between Nintendo and EA/Epic, they just trust that Wii U will be successful for them like Wii was for them. I was going to say they are probably bringing Just Dance to Wii U but it was definitely already demoed last year. They'll at least throw the U a bone this year. The only bone they get.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Ghosts is listed for PS3/360 as well, not Wii U oddly enough, least not on the poster.
Man, if Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, and Grand Theft Auto all skip Wii U this upcoming year, that is an unfathomable amount of potential revenue lost. How on earth do you compensate?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros...
COD: Black Ops (25m) sold more than the sales of Mario Galaxy 2(6.3m), Skyward Sword(3.5m), and Smash Bros Brawl(10.8m) combined. It's also a series that releases every year, to those insane projections. Smash Bros only releases once a generation. The Gamecube only got one major Mario and one major Zelda title (unless you count the compilation discs?).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 19, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

None of that would really be "innovation", more just playing catch-up with everyone else. Innovation is doing something your competition isn't.
Yeah but the Wii U isn't innovating anything. They just took the DS and made the TV one screen and the Gamepad the other. At best they just duplicated themselves, at worst it's, what, gaming on a tablet? It's not innovation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's also a glut of fitness products on the market now and not just for the Wii, so people may already have their preference and want to stick to it. They may want to stick with the original Wii Fit. Why would they spend $400 to upgrade if Wii Fit already meets their needs?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Super Mario 64 did half of New Super Mario Bros.

Beyond that you're citing VGChartz which literally make up their numbers.
He's citing the official sales numbers reported by nintendo.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120427e.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110426e.pdf

You're right though that NSMB was the top selling Mario. "The 3D Marios generally sell less" is a pretty good business excuse for Nintendo to not make them, though. I dunno if they'd be rushing a 3D Mario out right now if NSMBU didn't drop way short of sales expectations. The original sold like 27 million, and NSMBU might not even reach the sales of Galaxy 2. One came out after the Wii sold a kabillion units, the other tried to BE the system-seller, and the sales would show (to me, anyway), that NSMB is a game series that supplements a person's game library and isn't a draw by itself like Nintendo thought it'd be. "Oh, I might buy the system for NSMB, but I'm also buying it because of (X) (Y) and (Z)" which could be said about the DS and the Wii but not the Wii U launch lineup.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 20, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The N64 did not have the majority of software of that generation so you kind of proved his point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Wait so analog thumbsticks aren't used for a majority of games? Rumble hasn't become a staple?

Those were both new ways to interact with games. Both wholeheartedly adopted. So much so, Sony created the dualshock.
You're trying to argue to a conversation that isn't being held. We're talking about third-party support, and third-party support chose the Playstation over the N64, it chose the Playstation 2 over the Gamecube, and it chose the Xbox and Playstation 3 over the Wii, and it's chosing next gen hardware over the Wii U.

Of course hardware innovations get copied, that always happens. Thomas Edison made a living out of stealing ideas. But third party support tells me that the way Nintendo is pushing their innovations on publishers/developers is carrying over like a lead balloon.

I also wonder whether LACK of progress in other (NON-FORCED) areas upsets developers. With Wii U, Nintendo chose not to have a unified online infrastructure, or a unified account system, and left literally everything in the hands of the developers, in an era when Steamworks exists. You know in college football how they recruit kids, they wine em and dine em and give em the key to the city and make em feel like they're kings? What are the conveniences that developers get with Wii U? Could Nintendo have done more here, at a root level, at a hardware level?

Cause that kind of stuff isn't even innovation at this point, it should just be there.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 20, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would argue that MMO investment of time and money has had a lot more to do with studios getting into financial trouble than AAA development. S-E with FFXIV, EA with The Old Republic and APB. And THQ was basically throwing a Hail Mary pass with the uDraw, and it instead ruined them for good.

Also in the case of publishers like THQ, there's something to be said about accrued bad karma from constantly pushing out bad licensed shovelware on the market endlessly, and they were the main culprit. It's a very similar story to Acclaim before them, who primarily shoveled out crap onto the market and then people eventually just stopped buying their horseshit. Then they turned to MMOs and welp.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Here's another one.

Also, the Wii U versions of Lego Batman 2, Sniper Elite V2, and Fast and Furious sold less than 4000 units combined.

So much for that bump from the Xbone announcement that people were talking about!
How can there be a weekly average for July when it's... June.

This chart, though, is why third party support will continue to not exist for at least another full year and change. Even if it starts selling at holiday time, that means games start going into development in 2014 that might include Wii U as a target, but that means you don't see em for another 8 months.. so.. if the system sells a lot at Christmas, maybe we see better third-party support by fall 2014? That's how bad this situation is.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh. What was this about then?

Crowbear posted:

So much for that bump from the Xbone announcement that people were talking about!
I mean the May Xbone reveal was funny but it was E3 this month that made Xbone become a flat out disaster. If there was going to be a bump it would be this month.

Also might be worth looking at sales in Europe where Xbox One is basically DOA now.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

OatmealRaisin posted:

If WiiU's current course is any indication the 3DS version will have better online multiplayer and I haven't played a local multiplayer game in almost half a decade.
Even Nintendo hates online multiplayer on Wii U. None of their games have it currently, and neither does Pikmin, releasing on Sunday. So no third-party company wants to bother either. Even a Wii U exclusive third party game, that Sonic Lost Worlds game, has online multiplayer on 3DS but not Wii U.

No online infastructure, no online support from Nintendo, no unified account structure. This system is a loving dinosaur.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

But their policy has been to keep a lot of games under wraps until close to release, which is why we only just found out about Tropical Freeze and 3D World.
This policy hasn't really worked out so great for them, has it?

I mean if people are only made aware of what's imminently available, they have nothing to get excited about the future. They won't even officially announce a new Zelda for Wii U yet, because it's too far off. Who cares? Announce it. Get people excited about it even if it comes in 2015. People don't know it exists right now. There are people that don't know about the Link to the Past side-quel for 3DS still. The "close to the chest" marketing strategy is clearly a bust.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Syfe posted:

That's a terrible idea by the way, as announcing anything too early in advance causes the opposite of hype, there a lot of games out there which have been announced way too early.
Not sure which gaming industry you're talking about. Hype sells. Announce the games early and give people a reason to want to buy a Wii U.

GUYS BUY A WII U! WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHY YET BUT IT'S GONNA BE SO COOL, YOU'RE REALLY GONNA LOVE IT. JUST BUY IT NOW AND WE'LL TELL YOU SOME OTHER TIME

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The reason there's nothing to play is more because Nintendo is focused on 3DS software. The eShop on 3DS has a lot of little titles from Nintendo and it's clear that the Wii U could as well but for whatever reason Nintendo has decided to completely disregard it.

The 3DS has Pushmo, Crashmo, Sakura Samurai, Picross-e, Dillon's Rolling Western, Freakyforms, Ketzal's Corridors, Mario vs DK... but Wii U eShop has nothing like that by Nintendo. Not one. thing. And that kind of software holds people's interest between the big releases. There's no reason why Nintendo couldn't make or commission games like this for Wii U from their studios like Intelligent Systems. There's no reason at all.

Except for one: Nintendo, like third-party developers, know that they won't sell.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The_Frag_Man posted:

I do understand why the lack of a modern online experience would keep some people away from the Wii U, but personally I'm not interested in online features/play or trophies or integrated social networking or uploading gameplay videos or anything like that, and my consoles are all kept offline.
We already know that a lot of Wii U owners don't care about online or achievements, because they can't help themselves from posting about how much they don't care about online or achievements. You know who does care about them? People who haven't bought the console and might never buy the console, which is the focus of this thread.

There is no justifiable excuse for any of Nintendo's multiplayer-focused games to be local only, and the lack of an achievement system is dumb as poo poo because it's value add for people. I mean why not just have it? What is the point of not having it?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 4, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is the Wii U the next Neo Geo Pocket Color?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

zenintrude posted:

We're one price drop + Ambassador Program away from it being one of the most successful consoles of all time.
I don't think there will be an ambassador program even if there is a price drop, which Nintendo has already said is not happening, most likely because they can't slash costs on their Gamepad. All they can do is bundle Wii U with games and use the games as a loss leader to drive hardware sales.

This ridiculous fantasy of a sudden holy grail moment where the clouds form and rains wash over the parched land, it's not happening for Nintendo. Each new Nintendo game is going to sell SOME amount of systems, but none of them are going to make the Wii U outsell other consoles. This delusion started with "When Pikmin 3 comes out, it's gonna turn around", now it's "When Smash Bros comes out, it's gonna turn around". I can't wait in 2014 when people say "When Zelda comes out in 2015, it's gonna turn around!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also think Nintendo could have done a better job of having titles lined up for 2013. Their two big holiday titles are (1) an up-sampled expansion pack to a 3DS game, and (2) an HD version of a 10 year old game. ....tada???? That gonna sell anything? I don't think so. I'm sure the attach rate will be pretty high to existing owners. But the system is going to have an absolutely dismal fiscal year from start to finish, and at that point heads would have to start rolling at corporate.

Not that I think that's a bad thing, since the direction Nintendo has gone with their Wii U games has been a very dull and lifeless direction compared to their experimentation on the Wii that gave us games like Kirby's Epic Yarn, Mario Strikers Charged, and Endless Ocean. Now they're just retreating to their safe formulas instead of trying new things. We'll do Wii Play again but put Wario in it. We'll do Epic Yarn again but put Yoshi in it. We'll do New Super Mario Bros Wii again but we'll put a bigger world map in it.

Even Super Paper Mario is a more interesting and unique title than anything I've seen pitched by Nintendo for Wii U. It at least tried something different, even if it didn't resonate with people. They have to start taking some risks with their software, instead of playing it as safe as possible.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 5, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wii U doesn't even have some of the interesting niche titles that the Wii had in its first year, like Trauma Center, Zack & Wiki, and Boom Blox.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii was never in last place, nor did it meander. It was an unrepeatable sales phenomenon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not so sure that the upcoming Nintendo games are good enough drivers for hardware sales. Prior to system launch everyone pointed to the 27 million sales of New Super Mario Bros Wii and NSMBU did not make Wii U fly off shelves. I'm not sure why a Mario Kart or Smash game will do it if NSMBU couldn't.

Especially when there are current versions of these titles that are already available on 3DS. The 3DS version of Smash Bros is gonna outsell the Wii U version in buckets and buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maple Leaf posted:

Out of curiosity, how many copies did NSMBU sell?
I think it has a super high attach rate (although what else would people have bought at launch, I guess) but it's only sold 2.15 million worldwide.

• Locked thread